+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 12
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 93 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 8

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2308 users
03.08.2010 - 22:21
Rating: 9
3dd

Brilliant album, almost perfect!

After Nightfall this is trully a Blind Guardian album, with all the elements we enjoy of them: speed, technique and epicness.

The song "A Voice in the Dark" it's my favorite! The speed is brutal, and the Riffs before the chorus worth the loop. Also "Road of No Release" and "Wheel of Time" are great!!

One of the best albums of the year, for sure.
04.08.2010 - 01:17
Rating: 10
Andreas

Written by RavenKing on 03.08.2010 at 04:33

What I so dislike is they have to put those fucking soft breaks in every song since NIME, even the uptempo ones. It destroys the pace and make the songs boring.

Other people (like me) interpret that as variation, what makes the song actually far from boring

But everyone's entitled to his/her opinion of course
04.08.2010 - 02:43
RavenKing

You can have variations by other means than boring soft parts. The kind of slow semi-acoustic parts BG are doing break the intensity.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.08.2010 - 12:54
Andreas

Written by RavenKing on 04.08.2010 at 02:43

You can have variations by other means than boring soft parts. The kind of slow semi-acoustic parts BG are doing break the intensity.

But what's boring to you, can be awesome to other people.
05.08.2010 - 13:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Andreas on 05.08.2010 at 12:54
But what's boring to you, can be awesome to other people.

Yep. Soft parts are only boring to people who dont like soft parts.

Anyways, I finally bought the album, which Im just about to listen to now for the first time. lol xD
05.08.2010 - 14:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Not necessarily. Some soft parts can be good, others just disrupt the flow.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.08.2010 - 14:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 05.08.2010 at 14:12

Not necessarily. Some soft parts can be good, others just disrupt the flow.

Well, Ive heard Hidden_Dictator say he doesn't like ballads, so I think he just has a general dislike of soft parts. lol xD

For me, any part that changes in tack from the rest of the song is fine, so long as it fits. My main gripe with "Death Magnetic" for example, was a couple of songs had parts that didnt fit and disrupted the flow of the song. They sounded "bolted on".
05.08.2010 - 14:33
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 05.08.2010 at 14:19

Well, Ive heard Hidden_Dictator say he doesn't like ballads, so I think he just has a general dislike of soft parts. lol xD

You're right. I don't like soft parts. And I'm the kind of listener who think ballads are a waste of space on a metal album.
----
05.08.2010 - 15:16
Andreas

Written by RavenKing on 05.08.2010 at 14:33

You're right. I don't like soft parts. And I'm the kind of listener who think ballads are a waste of space on a metal album.

So you're just trying to hide that you're actually very romantic? Doesn't matter, in time you will give in to your feelings
05.08.2010 - 16:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Andreas on 05.08.2010 at 15:16

Written by RavenKing on 05.08.2010 at 14:33

So you're just trying to hide that you're actually very romantic? Doesn't matter, in time you will give in to your feelings

Not really. I used to be the same way. Only liked violent and heavy music and anything that was only moderately less so I ignored and disliked. Then I became more accepting of softer songs.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.08.2010 - 23:33
RavenKing

Written by vezzy on 05.08.2010 at 16:23

Not really. I used to be the same way. Only liked violent and heavy music and anything that was only moderately less so I ignored and disliked. Then I became more accepting of softer songs.

What is so funny about me is the older I get, the more extreme my tastes become. The older I get, the more I find softer stuff boring and unable to keep my attention for long. I don't see the point in metal music if it's not harsh or aggressive. One of the reasons why I dislike Euroflowermetal so much.

In a few years, I will probably hate Flowermetal as much as Marcel. But I'm not that old yet. lol

A note here: I don't like Blind Guardian's modern stuff but I never considered this band as flowery or cheesy.
----
05.08.2010 - 23:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Okay, I have now finally listened to the album! lol xD

Ive only listened to the album once, so I'll hold off on giving a final rating for now, as there's a lot going on in the songs, and it'll take more than one listen to fully absorb.

What I can say though right now, is that the album is definitely better than the last one. Whereas that one had a few points where I wanted to use the skip button, this one is a far more engaging listen, and overall better album. It is incredibly proggy, where even the shortest song on the album defies the standard verse/chrous/verse system, by having a 2nd verse that is totally different musically to the 1st. "Valkyries" is probably the biggest surprise, coming off as more of a standard melodic heavy metal song, (although of course with classic Blind Guardian twists!) rather than the epic power/prog metal they are so well known for. All in all, Im impressed. Its a fine album indeed.

@Hidden_Dictator: Do you mean you wouldnt even consider Blind Guardian's modern stuff as "flowery" or cheesy?
06.08.2010 - 01:05
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 05.08.2010 at 23:51

@Hidden_Dictator: Do you mean you wouldnt even consider Blind Guardian's modern stuff as "flowery" or cheesy?

Yes, that's what I mean. I find Blind Guardian's stuff from NIME until the new album too slow in general, boring on many parts and the songs not flowing at all but it doesn't sound 'pussy' and cheesy like the stuff so many other Powermetal bands are pulling out these days. It has balls, but not enough for me. And surely not as much as their old Speed Metal stuff.
Not that I listen to it often but I prefer by far Persuader to current Blind Guardian because it's like a more extreme version of Blind Guardian.
The only album I would consider as cliched and kinda cheesy (but not as cheesy as typical Euroflowermetal) is NIME. As much as so many people praise this album, I think it's an extremely dull album full of fillers and almost as bad as ATITM. Imo, I don't like ANATO but it was much better than NIME.

As for the new album, I think it's definitely better than ATITM but I'm not sure my opinion really means something, as I think ATITM sucked so, for me, it was not hard to beat at all.
----
06.08.2010 - 13:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 06.08.2010 at 01:05
Yes, that's what I mean. I find Blind Guardian's stuff from NIME until the new album too slow in general, boring on many parts and the songs not flowing at all but it doesn't sound 'pussy' and cheesy like the stuff so many other Powermetal bands are pulling out these days. It has balls, but not enough for me. And surely not as much as their old Speed Metal stuff.
Not that I listen to it often but I prefer by far Persuader to current Blind Guardian because it's like a more extreme version of Blind Guardian.
The only album I would consider as cliched and kinda cheesy (but not as cheesy as typical Euroflowermetal) is NIME. As much as so many people praise this album, I think it's an extremely dull album full of fillers and almost as bad as ATITM. Imo, I don't like ANATO but it was much better than NIME.

As for the new album, I think it's definitely better than ATITM but I'm not sure my opinion really means something, as I think ATITM sucked so, for me, it was not hard to beat at all.

Well, Ive always loved soft and aggressive stuff. Which is why I love so many different genres of metal. Metal is a genre that offers the best of both worlds, if you happen to like both extremes. There is some stuff that is even too soft for me, (for example I dont like symphonic metal with female vocals) but generally speaking, I can embrace softness and aggression equally. Which is why I can greatly appreciate the later albums of Blind Guardian. Even the faults I found with the last album were to do with fillers which arent memorable at all, rather than the soft sections themselves. Blind Guardian have had a soft side for most of their career. Apart from the first 2 albums, there are softer sections, or whole songs which are soft. From "Somewhere Far Beyond" onwards, the layered, softer, atmospheric aspects of their sound have grown with each successive album.

I can kinda see why you'd seperate even later BG from most power metal. Unless you find the medieval slant of a lot of their lyrics and music cheesy, then there's not really anything in their sound which is cheesy. Although unlike you I love ANATO, I do agree that it is better than NIME. While I do like that album, I think its a little bit overrated.
06.08.2010 - 14:26
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.08.2010 at 13:10

Well, Ive always loved soft and aggressive stuff. Which is why I love so many different genres of metal. Metal is a genre that offers the best of both worlds, if you happen to like both extremes. There is some stuff that is even too soft for me, (for example I dont like symphonic metal with female vocals) but generally speaking, I can embrace softness and aggression equally. Which is why I can greatly appreciate the later albums of Blind Guardian. Even the faults I found with the last album were to do with fillers which arent memorable at all, rather than the soft sections themselves. Blind Guardian have had a soft side for most of their career. Apart from the first 2 albums, there are softer sections, or whole songs which are soft. From "Somewhere Far Beyond" onwards, the layered, softer, atmospheric aspects of their sound have grown with each successive album.

I can kinda see why you'd seperate even later BG from most power metal. Unless you find the medieval slant of a lot of their lyrics and music cheesy, then there's not really anything in their sound which is cheesy. Although unlike you I love ANATO, I do agree that it is better than NIME. While I do like that album, I think its a little bit overrated.

As far as I remember, my favorite songs on albums were nearly always the heaviest, fastest, most aggressive ones. That's the way I am and there's nothing I can do about it.

I have absolutely nothing against medieval lyrics and imagery themselves. I'm a big Middle Ages lover. It all comes down to the way it is done. In fact, several Black Metal bands I'm listening to have medieval lyrics. What I can't stand is the way Euroflowermetal bands turn medieval lyrics in a childish cheesefest without any depth, the way it sounds so ridiculous and not credible at all.
----
07.08.2010 - 06:05
Vikcen
Metálico
Ei!, NIME is god!!

1) The best voice of Hansi.
2) The feeling that transmits, is absolutely unique.
3) The sound is simply perfect. Great sound, with choirs, orchestral arrangements, etc, but without sounding synthetic, without sounding too reloaded, sounding at once crude, ripped, heavy and natural.
4) The germen of the posterior albums, they mark a change here quite substantial.
5) (as disk) the most epic, tragic and sad
6) And of course, for someone who loves the book of Tolkien, this album is outstanding.

Ooooh, songs like, Mirror Mirror! (for me one of the best songs of Metal), Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill), Into the Storm, Nightfall, The Curse of Fëanor, Blood Tears, The Eldar, so epic!, so tragic, so sad... so precious.

Somebody had to defend NIME hehe .

Respect ATITM in my opinion the main difference is, of course the experimental sound (different, but i think that it is a great sound, and great production), but mainly is the sound of Hansi's voice (equal to Touched By The Crimson King, one year before) and the change in the battery (Thomas Stauch is still a master), but this record is very good too. And i think that the singles "Fly" and "Another strange me" did much damage, only two songs and dont think that are bad songs (to me i like them), because the problem is that these songs are specially different to what we are accustomed with Blind Guardian, so the album is injured. In few words, in general a record a little different, but dont mean it is bad.
07.08.2010 - 10:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
NIME is a good album, and I like it for sure. But I dont agree with the general consensus amongst most BG fans though that it is their best work.

"Nightfall" and "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)" are great, and among my fave BG songs. And "The Eldar" is a magical ballad.

But overall, it lacks the captivating power of the preceding album, (IFTOS) nor is it as engaging and wonderfully atmospheric as the succeeding album. (ANATO)

As for ATITM, it has it's moments for sure. The first 2 songs are awesome, and get the album off to a cracking start. But after that, the album constantly dips and peaks, and never gains any real momentum. As for the two singles, "Fly" never did anything for me. But "Another Stranger Me" is catchy as hell and just rocks! It definitely isnt bad, but its not as consistently great as BG's best albums IMO.
08.08.2010 - 01:00
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 07.08.2010 at 10:21

"Nightfall" and "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)" are great, and among my fave BG songs. And "The Eldar" is a magical ballad.

There's only 4 songs I don't dislike on this filler track fest: "Into The Storm", "Time Stands Still" (but both are quite average, I can listen to them but I don't really enjoy them), "Mirror Mirror" and "When Sorrow Sang" (the only songs I find good). "When Sorrow Sang" is my favorite song by far.
All the rest is boring filler after boring filler and utterly useless short tracks.
----
08.08.2010 - 01:36
Vikcen
Metálico
Yes, "When Sorrow Sang" is other great song.

SFB, IFTOS, NIME, ANATO, the best of Blind Guardian, hard decision for me .... Which do I choose? I think that these masterpieces will be very hard to overcome, and more i think, after listening the last album (ATEOT), but i follow listening it, and i like more and more. Now definitely my favorites songs are: Talenorn (Into The Void), Valkyries, Ride Into Obsession and Road Of No Release (the last added). Curse My Name is another very good Blind Guardian ballad.

Yes, the first two songs of ATITM are awesome. I love "The Edge" also, "Skalds And Shadows" is one of the best ballads of Blind Guardian... But yes, i prefer the preceding albums of course.
08.08.2010 - 04:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Hidden_Dictator: My main issue with "Into The Storm" is I usually expect a lashing opener from BG, or something really grand and atmospheric, of which "Into The Storm" is neither. Its a decent song without being anything great, and is trounced by almost every other BG opener. lol "When Sorrow Sang" sounds awesome for a while. In fact, its the only song which isnt a ballad that could have came straight from the previous album. But once the 2nd verse comes in, quite a bit of the momentum is killed for me. I have no issues with slow parts in fast songs, and this part isnt particularly slow, but it doesnt fit the song IMO. (For example, the pre-chorus of "Im Alive" is far slower, but it does fit the song.) Its a good one, but disappointing, because it could clearly have been great.

@Vikcen: Ive listened to the new one once more, and I liked it even more the second time I listened. For me right now, its hard for me to decide quite where it sits among their other albums... It is overall, stronger than the last album, and unlike that one does gain some real momentum. It also has less filler than ANATO, so I think in terms of overall quality, it is their best since IFTOS. The album gets off to a great start with the simmering orchestral flushes of "Sacred Worlds", then totally takes off with "Tanelorn (Into The Void)" with its blistering speed metal riffs and atmospheric chorus making me wonder if it was 1995 again. xD

"Ride Into Obsession" could have easily been a single. Its melodies are so incredibly catchy, couple this with some tense passages and the awesome vocals of Hansi, (who says he cant scream anymore?) and you have a classic modern BG song. xD "Curse My Name" has that wonderful folky/medieval sound that Blind Guardian do so well. I cant get enough of that type of stuff from them! <3 I love how the album is bookended with another orchestral workout with "Wheels Of Time". This one even more epic than the opener although it's a little bit shorter. Im sure it'll take another couple of listens to fully absorb the song, but it is great.

"The Edge" starts off with a tense riff and build up, but the rest of the song is a bit messy. With some awesome parts mingling with more forgettable dull parts. A decent song that had the potential to be great. "Skalds And Shadows"... Yes! That is definitely the highlight of the 2nd half of the album. Again, that medieval sound doing the trick.
08.08.2010 - 06:20
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 08.08.2010 at 04:04

@Hidden_Dictator: My main issue with "Into The Storm" is I usually expect a lashing opener from BG, or something really grand and atmospheric, of which "Into The Storm" is neither. Its a decent song without being anything great, and is trounced by almost every other BG opener. lol "When Sorrow Sang" sounds awesome for a while. In fact, its the only song which isnt a ballad that could have came straight from the previous album. But once the 2nd verse comes in, quite a bit of the momentum is killed for me. I have no issues with slow parts in fast songs, and this part isnt particularly slow, but it doesnt fit the song IMO. (For example, the pre-chorus of "Im Alive" is far slower, but it does fit the song.) Its a good one, but disappointing, because it could clearly have been great.

I never said "Into The Storm" was a great song. I said it was quite average and I don't really enjoy it.
As for "When Sorrow Sang", it's not the best BG song, imo, it's only the best song on an utterly boring album.
----
08.08.2010 - 11:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 08.08.2010 at 06:20
I never said "Into The Storm" was a great song. I said it was quite average and I don't really enjoy it.
As for "When Sorrow Sang", it's not the best BG song, imo, it's only the best song on an utterly boring album.

I wasnt saying you thought it was great, I was just giving my opinion on those songs. lol
09.08.2010 - 03:55
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I'd give this album an 8.5, but as it is, it gets a 9. And it's well earned. Gotta love Sacred Worlds, Curse My Name and Wheel of Time. Best albums since NiME I think. May the fire burn and the bards play their songs in the night!
09.08.2010 - 04:58
Vikcen
Metálico
@Angelic Storm:

Yes, for me, "Ride Into Obsession" is better than "A Voice In The Dark" as single, at the moment his chorus has not convinced me, but a speedy song. About "Wheel Of Time" and "Sacred Worlds", I prefer "Wheel Of Time", although "Sacred Worlds" I like more and more, at the beginning is one of the songs that cost me more to assimilate, but I ended up liking.

I've been watching your music collection, and after reading your comments, i might deduce some things about your tastes about Blind Guardian:

If i take into account your comments, and in your collection of Blind Guardian you haven't put ratings on the albums "TFTTW" and "NIME", and don't have "SFB", are three records that you like really (the masterpiece for you "IFTOS", "ANATO" and the last disc "ATEOT") if we go by your ratings. Speaking directly i might deduce that Blind Guardian really convinces you only a part of his material and some individual songs.

To me, with Blind Guardian, a curious thing happened me, I didn't like Blind Guardian until year 2005, only a few songs I liked, although never excited me. But one day, I heard the single "Battlefield" (maybe the best song of Blind Guardian for me ) and from then on, like magic art, i started listening more and more songs and albums, i began to appreciate very much the voice of Hansi, to absorb all their songs, until become one of my more favorite bands.

I think Blind Guardian in many cases, you have to like quite the kind of music they do (Which in turn is unique) to fully appreciate all their disks, to assimilate all their records, because many times their music is not readily accessible, despite the virtuosity that they show, the great compositions they perform, and in few words the good music that they do, being one of the most famous metal bands in the world. Obviously this happens to everyone (to me has happened with the last album for example, cost me a lot to assimilate, I was surprised) with all bands of music (some are more "fanatic" than others =)) and with Blind Guardian i think that might be your case, only you like one part of them .
09.08.2010 - 11:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Yes, I only put albums in my collection that I physically own. If I only have MP3s of an album, I dont count that as me owning it. Im sure some people do do that, but it's wrong IMO. The first Blind Guardian album I bought was IFTOS. I thought it was great, so I then aqquired TFTTW and ANATO. Funnily enough, it was when I bought NIME that my interest in BG waned for a while. Because I was completely underwhelmed by it. But I still loved their other stuff enough that I bought ATITM when it came out. A few weeks after that album came out, I aqquired the internet for the first time. After a while, I was finally able to listen to the first two albums and SFB. I still do not physically own these albums which is why they are not listed in my BG collection on MS. But obviously I have an opinion on them because I have heard them. lol

I havent rated TFTTW because it has been quite a while since I listened to the full thing, so I wouldnt feel confident enough to give it a definitive rating without listening to it once again. NIME isnt rated either for a similar reason. I'd have also found that album quite hard to rate when I initially heard it, because most of it didnt grab me.

Back when I bought IFTOS, it was a few years before I got the internet. And I didnt know anything about them at all. I just saw the cd in the shop one day, and bought it on a whim. The rest as they say, is history. You're wrong that I only like "one part" of Blind Guardian. Yes, I think some albums are better than others, but that doesnt mean that I completely dislike the albums I consider to be lesser, because that isnt true at all. I have an appreciation for all their albums, even if that appreciation isnt equal for all their stuff. For example, FTB is poles apart in style from ANATO but I think both albums are great. I prefer IFTOS to ATITM, but that doesnt mean I dislike the latter album. lol

As for "Battlefield", that song is simply immense and is definitely one of my fave Blind Guardian songs. xD
09.08.2010 - 14:40
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.08.2010 at 11:41

Funnily enough, it was when I bought NIME that my interest in BG waned for a while. Because I was completely underwhelmed by it.

The same happened to me. After all the comments I heard from people praising this album, I expected something really great. You can imagine what a huge disappointment it was when I got this boring album full of filler tracks. Saying it was a disappointment is an understatement. I had no idea what people found so great about this album and I still have no idea as to why this album is rated so high by some. Imo, it's the most overrated album in the history of Powermetal.
I usually say "it's the Tolkien-related effect that makes some people believe that everything Tolkien-related is great".
You can see this Tolkien-related effect on the band Battlelore too. It's a shit band but you will see some people thinking it's genius only because they use Tolkien themes and imagery.
----
09.08.2010 - 18:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Hidden_Dictator: Well, at the time I bought NIME, I wasnt aware of the high esteem it's held in by BG fans and power metal fans alike. But just by the album title, the song titles, and reading the booklet on my way home from buying it, It was easy to deduce that it was a concept album. Which made me even more excited to listen to it. I was very disappointed when I heard it. Most of the songs, I only listened to parts of rather than the full thing. And then I sort of lost interest in BG for a while till I knew they were bringing out a new album. Their current album at that time was ANATO, and because I liked that, my interest was peaked in BG again once I realised they were bringing out a new album. When I finally checked out SFB and FTB, I was annoyed at myself for not checking them out much sooner. Even though Ive never seen FTB in a store near me.

I think you're right about why some people at least, rave about it. That it's the subject matter of the album. Over the last 4 years or so, Ive found a bit more to appreciate in the album, as I didnt give it much of a chance when I initially bought it. But even still, Id only consider about 4 of the songs as being great. And out of an album with 11 songs, (thats discounting the other 11 songs which are more like interludes than actual songs) that's not a good percentage. I wouldnt even consider it a classic BG album, let alone a classic power metal album. Out of their later material, the latest and ANATO are IMO better albums. Its hard to decide between NIME and ATITM for me... both have about the same amount of tracks that Id say I love. lol
09.08.2010 - 23:17
Vikcen
Metálico
@Angelic Storm:

Well, then it has been made clear that you are a "fanatic" of Blind Guardian... no, it's a joke hehe. Ok, since I was wrong, my deductions were not good at all

If you see my ratings of Blind Guardian, I consider myself quite "fanatic" of all their stuff. I quite like almost everything except their first two albums, of which I have an opinion too (listening the mp3), and I haven't bought them, the rest yes. In general one tries to buy records that you really enjoy, and rarely you risk with a disk, or you take a fancy, and it can go out good or bad =). However someday I will another opportunity to BOF and FTB =) although in principle I don't like them.

Written by RavenKing on 09.08.2010 at 14:40

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.08.2010 at 11:41

Funnily enough, it was when I bought NIME that my interest in BG waned for a while. Because I was completely underwhelmed by it.

The same happened to me. After all the comments I heard from people praising this album, I expected something really great. You can imagine what a huge disappointment it was when I got this boring album full of filler tracks. Saying it was a disappointment is an understatement. I had no idea what people found so great about this album and I still have no idea as to why this album is rated so high by some. Imo, it's the most overrated album in the history of Powermetal.
I usually say "it's the Tolkien-related effect that makes some people believe that everything Tolkien-related is great".
You can see this Tolkien-related effect on the band Battlelore too. It's a shit band but you will see some people thinking it's genius only because they use Tolkien themes and imagery.

Simple, you can't understand why to me i love NIME and ANATO, and me i can't understand why you love BOF and FTB, but where is the debate or else? hehe over tastes... But if NIME and IFTOS are consider by majority for the people as the best, is for something. i love IFTOS, NIME and ANATO equally, for me the best, but which is better? They are different albums, i love Blind Guardian definitily. I think you have many prejudices about NIME.
10.08.2010 - 03:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Quote:
@Angelic Storm:

Well, then it has been made clear that you are a "fanatic" of Blind Guardian... no, it's a joke hehe. Ok, since I was wrong, my deductions were not good at all

If you see my ratings of Blind Guardian, I consider myself quite "fanatic" of all their stuff. I quite like almost everything except their first two albums, of which I have an opinion too (listening the mp3), and I haven't bought them, the rest yes. In general one tries to buy records that you really enjoy, and rarely you risk with a disk, or you take a fancy, and it can go out good or bad =). However someday I will another opportunity to BOF and FTB =) although in principle I don't like them.

I guess that depends on your definition of "fanatic" really. I think I love too many bands to call myself a "fanatic" of any band. Also, I dont unreservedly love all of BG's stuff. So Im not a fanatic in that sense. But if by "fanatic" you mean Im a big fan of the band, then yes I am. lol

Aside from BOF, which is a largely forgettable debut, and ATITM and NIME which are a bit patchy, I love all of BG's albums. FTB is a similar style to BOF, but I find the songwriting to be just so much better on FTB than the debut. As for your second point, before I had the internet, I had no choice really but to take risks when buying some albums. I dont buy anywhere near as much albums as I used to do. But back then, you had to take risks sometimes if you wanted to discover new bands to love. Yep, I did buy a small amount of crap due to that, but mostly it paid off, like with BG. lol

Written by Vikcen on 09.08.2010 at 23:17
Simple, you can't understand why to me i love NIME and ANATO, and me i can't understand why you love BOF and FTB, but where is the debate or else? hehe over tastes... But if NIME and IFTOS are consider by majority for the people as the best, is for something. i love IFTOS, NIME and ANATO equally, for me the best, but which is better? They are different albums, i love Blind Guardian definitily. I think you have many prejudices about NIME.

Of course I can understand why you love NIME, just because I dont love it, doesnt mean that nobody else can. lol As for ANATO, I actually do that love that album! (I know Hidden_Dictator doesn't like it though) So why would I not be able to understand that? I dont love BOF either. I think it's okay, but when I listen to FTB, its like BOF with better, more memorable songs. I dont have any prejudices about NIME, it just doesnt do much for me. Not as a cohesive whole anyways. And there are songs I love on it, as I mentioned before. "Nightfall", "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)", "The Eldar"... "Blood Tears" is quite a majestic song as well, even though it could flow a bit better. xD

As a whole, I just dont think its stands up as well as most of their other albums.
10.08.2010 - 05:48
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.08.2010 at 03:08

I guess that depends on your definition of "fanatic" really. I think I love too many bands to call myself a "fanatic" of any band. Also, I dont unreservedly love all of BG's stuff. So Im not a fanatic in that sense. But if by "fanatic" you mean Im a big fan of the band, then yes I am. lol

I mean big fan =)

Aside from BOF, which is a largely forgettable debut, and ATITM and NIME which are a bit patchy, I love all of BG's albums. FTB is a similar style to BOF, but I find the songwriting to be just so much better on FTB than the debut.

My impressions were wrong. Now it has been made totally clear that you are a big fan as me

As for your second point, before I had the internet, I had no choice really but to take risks when buying some albums. I dont buy anywhere near as much albums as I used to do. But back then, you had to take risks sometimes if you wanted to discover new bands to love. Yep, I did buy a small amount of crap due to that, but mostly it paid off, like with BG. lol

Not is my case. When i began to work and then get money, i have internet =). Your case is diferent, you have money but internet don't exists still. In my case when I was not working (as estudent), only i bought few discs from the money of my parents, but very few, and only the music that i really liked from some pubs, very very few.

But i hope that now with internet, you can buy what really you enjoy =) (the majority at least)

My text, this text:

Written by Vikcen on 09.08.2010 at 23:17

going to Hidden_Dictator, for their comment:

Written by RavenKing on 09.08.2010 at 14:40

Of course I can understand why you love NIME, just because I dont love it, doesnt mean that nobody else can. lol As for ANATO, I actually do that love that album! (I know Hidden_Dictator doesn't like it though) So why would I not be able to understand that? I dont love BOF either. I think it's okay, but when I listen to FTB, its like BOF with better, more memorable songs. I dont have any prejudices about NIME, it just doesnt do much for me. Not as a cohesive whole anyways. And there are songs I love on it, as I mentioned before. "Nightfall", "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)", "The Eldar"... "Blood Tears" is quite a majestic song as well, even though it could flow a bit better. xD

As a whole, I just dont think its stands up as well as most of their other albums.

Yes you are right, of course you can understand it, i don't think the opposite about you. And i don't think that you have prejudices.

And Mirror Mirror??

Hits total: 57223 | This month: 72