Metal Storm logo
The most abused word in metal?

Original post

Posted by Got Mayhem?, 16.03.2010 - 03:02
It's probably been said before, so excuse me if I've resurrected the body of a beaten horse.

Something that's irked me for quite a while now has been the use of the word "Progressive". It isn't exactly the word that bothers me, instead it is the way that it's often use that gives me a sinking feeling.

Progressive - adj, making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods.

Certainly, there have been many bands in metal that have earned the title of a truly progressive band. I don't want to mention names because I'd like to keep the discussion away from squabbling over band genres. But seriously, does anyone else feel we use the word progressive too often? It seems all a band needs to do these days to have 'Prog' put in front of their main genre is add some middle eastern element or set of obscure South American instruments played only by a single tribe in the deepest part of the amazon. It doesn't seem to matter if another band has already done it or not. Once a single band does something progressive, is every band that follows suit also progressive? Or just a bunch of copy cats.

Discuss, I guess. If you want.
12.04.2012 - 16:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.04.2012 at 23:19
What about "Why is this band not on MS?"

We probably don't get that as much since people don't post in band threads these days.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.07.2015 - 04:23
atkmetal123
"So far away"

Her *cough* man *cough* Lellll
01.09.2015 - 19:54
Satan will always be the most abused word in lyrics. Sell-out and rip-off are terms frequently used by trve and kvlt fans, though.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
03.11.2017 - 12:50
BetulaObscura
Love & Hate - two most abused words in human history.
They only things that makes us human.
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
12.01.2018 - 23:32
Ludo647
Well, in terms of the metal community it's probably "Elitist"
14.01.2018 - 10:57
From what I have heard and read from friends and metalheads online, the list goes something like this:
- True (or Trvv)
- Brutal
- Elite (or Elitist).. are probably the highest spoken/written words that have lost their original meanings to knuckleheads and generic people. I get there are some very different and quality stuff out there that deserve recognition of words. One of the most annoying word for me is 'Real' (metal).
31.01.2018 - 10:42
Although this is closer to a rant about sub-genres, the one that always gets me is "atmospheric". Most of the time in metal it's not used in the correct context, and a lot of the time when it is, the word itself isn't actually needed.
06.02.2018 - 06:55
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I hear the word "epic" a lot when describing music, metal in particular. Not that I'm above the use of it personally, since I'll admit to doing it.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.02.2018 - 22:59
solar
"Brutal". Probably not the most abused word, but I've seen it around at times. I'm not sure what that entails for a genre.
12.09.2018 - 12:20
tillylawson
Brutal
03.11.2019 - 20:07
All Metal
The lyric:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!
14.12.2019 - 06:32
tintinb

Definitely this word.
----
Leeches everywhere.
27.02.2020 - 06:12
Among the communities "nu-metal" or "hair metal" has become an overused term to describe metal that metalheads don't like.
17.03.2020 - 03:14
Rovdjur
Fire. That or Satan. But most probably Fire.
----
Rovdjur Iskall
"We've painted all doors bible black,
vi hade gett oss utan strid...
"