Metal Storm logo
The most abused word in metal?

Original post

Posted by Got Mayhem?, 16.03.2010 - 03:02
It's probably been said before, so excuse me if I've resurrected the body of a beaten horse.

Something that's irked me for quite a while now has been the use of the word "Progressive". It isn't exactly the word that bothers me, instead it is the way that it's often use that gives me a sinking feeling.

Progressive - adj, making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods.

Certainly, there have been many bands in metal that have earned the title of a truly progressive band. I don't want to mention names because I'd like to keep the discussion away from squabbling over band genres. But seriously, does anyone else feel we use the word progressive too often? It seems all a band needs to do these days to have 'Prog' put in front of their main genre is add some middle eastern element or set of obscure South American instruments played only by a single tribe in the deepest part of the amazon. It doesn't seem to matter if another band has already done it or not. Once a single band does something progressive, is every band that follows suit also progressive? Or just a bunch of copy cats.

Discuss, I guess. If you want.
06.02.2011 - 20:41
arwestromen

Written by RavenKing on 06.02.2011 at 14:34

Written by CzirjakMan on 06.02.2011 at 02:15

I posted in this thread awhile ago saying "Christian" was terribly overused but now "Sellout" is definitely the worst. It seems like if a band moves forward in their career, grows stylistically as they mature, plays a little differently than when they first hit the scene as kids, they're a sellout. Of course there is a line, there are loads of sellouts, but bands are made of human beings that change over time! Just because a band looks good and makes alot of money doesn't make them pop

First, changing doesn't automatically mean that a band moves forward, grows stylistically or gets more mature. Trouble is lots of people get offended as soon as others use the word sellout, even when it's true.

"Just because a band looks good and makes alot of money doesn't make them pop".
No, but the music some supposedly metal bands play makes them some kind of pop. If you compare current Avantasia to the old, for example. Or the gay emo shit Elvenking released recently. Or if you check many of those female-fronted gothic 'metal' bands and female-fronted so-called 'symphonic metal' shit.

Why do I get the feeling that you are one of those people who want metal to stay in the underground forever and ever and be tr00 to the unwritten rules of metal
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
06.02.2011 - 21:48
RavenKing

Written by arwestromen on 06.02.2011 at 20:41

Written by RavenKing on 06.02.2011 at 14:34

Written by CzirjakMan on 06.02.2011 at 02:15

I posted in this thread awhile ago saying "Christian" was terribly overused but now "Sellout" is definitely the worst. It seems like if a band moves forward in their career, grows stylistically as they mature, plays a little differently than when they first hit the scene as kids, they're a sellout. Of course there is a line, there are loads of sellouts, but bands are made of human beings that change over time! Just because a band looks good and makes alot of money doesn't make them pop

First, changing doesn't automatically mean that a band moves forward, grows stylistically or gets more mature. Trouble is lots of people get offended as soon as others use the word sellout, even when it's true.

"Just because a band looks good and makes alot of money doesn't make them pop".
No, but the music some supposedly metal bands play makes them some kind of pop. If you compare current Avantasia to the old, for example. Or the gay emo shit Elvenking released recently. Or if you check many of those female-fronted gothic 'metal' bands and female-fronted so-called 'symphonic metal' shit.

Why do I get the feeling that you are one of those people who want metal to stay in the underground forever and ever and be tr00 to the unwritten rules of metal

Because that's how I think it should be. The real spirit and soul of metal is to be different and underground to a certain extent. Not to walk hand in hand with society and try to please the majority. If metal becomes too much mainstream, it can only be detrimental to it. Just look at how the metal scene sucks already nowadays because of selling out and flirting too much with the mainstream.
Metal is not about getting mainstream attention and acceptance and if metal flirts too much with the mainstream, the scene will become as shitty as the pop scene.
People understood this simple fact easily in the 80s but today...
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
06.02.2011 - 23:01
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by RavenKing on 06.02.2011 at 21:48

Hum, Glam metal was extremely popular in the 80's, in fact metal's popularity peek was in that decade. Plus, not all metal genres are intended to be underground and anti-everything.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
07.02.2011 - 01:12
RavenKing

Written by MétalNoir on 06.02.2011 at 23:01

Hum, Glam metal was extremely popular in the 80's, in fact metal's popularity peek was in that decade. Plus, not all metal genres are intended to be underground and anti-everything.

I associate Glam with hard rock and not metal. It has never been metal. Only wrongly considered as metal by some people back then.
----
07.02.2011 - 01:42
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by RavenKing on 07.02.2011 at 01:12

Written by MétalNoir on 06.02.2011 at 23:01

I associate Glam with hard rock and not metal. It has never been metal. Only wrongly considered as metal by some people back then.

Glam metal is a mixture of WOBHM and Glam Rock. Folk Metal is metal even though it's Folk + Metal, for example. Anyway, this is getting off-topic.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
08.02.2011 - 04:18
Drunken Master
Account deleted
Written by arwestromen on 06.02.2011 at 20:27

Written by MétalNoir on 06.02.2011 at 18:30

Now I guess "gay" is another overused word...

o yes very very very overused...can't we just go back to the word "lame" instead or is that to gay to do?

just go with gay = lame as gamers do
08.02.2011 - 04:24
Drunken Master
Account deleted
Alternative

i hate when people use it to describe something different, but since everything on this site excluding traditional heavy metal is an alternative form it doesn't stand to be a separate category

also 'progressive' because of the douchebag image i get when i think of people using it to claim their music is better or 'the next best thing'
08.02.2011 - 04:47
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 08.02.2011 at 04:24

also 'progressive' because of the douchebag image i get when i think of people using it to claim their music is better or 'the next best thing'

It's indeed sad to see how people often confuse progressive with weird or fucked up stuff.
Or the way some use the word in an attempt to give a higher quality to something lame or simply boring.
----
19.02.2011 - 06:37
Shadrahk

Sellout.
----
Guys, don't be racist. Racism is a crime. And crime is for niggers.
19.02.2011 - 07:26
Void_Eater
Account deleted
First off, sellout is not overused at all. The only bands I've ever seen be called sellouts are those that, well, changed their sound for commercial success. That's selling out. It's not always a bad thing; I like modern day Satyricon, 90's Megadeth and Metallica, and even that In Flames song "Take This Life". They are all obvious attempts for commercial fame, but they still produced good music with their new styles.

As far as the most overused words, brutal, dark, epic, etc. You know what I mean. Another overused word, while not as overused as the previous examples. is genius. Certain metal musicians get called a genius far to much; Chuck Schuldiner perhaps the most. I love Death as much as anybody, but Chuck wasn't a genius or anything. Genius's are people like Albert Einstein who redefine the way people think about the universe. Chuck is just a great musician, and an important part of the death metal movement. Whats funnier is when Varg is called a genius... I don't think I need to explain why I like Burzum by the way.
19.02.2011 - 16:23
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 07:26

First off, sellout is not overused at all. The only bands I've ever seen be called sellouts are those that, well, changed their sound for commercial success. That's selling out.

Totally agreed. I don't understand why people often make such a fuss (unless they're blind fanboys - in this case it explains everything) when we use the word sellout to describe exactly what you describe here. That's what it is, the right word to use. Some people simply can't accept to see a band they like being called sellout, even when it's true.
----
19.02.2011 - 16:33
ANGEL REAPER

Written by RavenKing on 19.02.2011 at 16:23

First off, sellout is not overused at all. The only bands I've ever seen be called sellouts are those that, well, changed their sound for commercial success. That's selling out.

Totally agreed. I don't understand why people often make such a fuss (unless they're blind fanboys - in this case it explains everything) when we use the word sellout to describe exactly what you describe here. That's what it is, the right word to use. Some people simply can't accept to see a band they like being called sellout, even when it's true.

I agree with both of you ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.03.2011 - 02:51
Yojimbo

"Necro"
09.03.2011 - 17:08
ANGEL REAPER

Whats funnier is when Varg is called a genius... I don't think I need to explain why I like Burzum by the way.

ok I am not Varg's fanboy or smth but after i learned to play almost everything of early Burzum i must say that he is above average talented for making music....For people that just listen to burzum he seams like genius....
The same thing goes for Chuck,Quorthon......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.03.2011 - 23:22
moe5512

Mainstream and Children of Bodom/Dimmu Borgir in the same sentence is very abused...
15.03.2011 - 13:28
RavenKing

Written by moe5512 on 14.03.2011 at 23:22

Mainstream and Children of Bodom/Dimmu Borgir in the same sentence is very abused...

There's no abuse in saying the truth.
----
15.03.2011 - 17:12
moe5512

Written by RavenKing on 15.03.2011 at 13:28

they would be mainstream if they would go back to hatebreeder/stormblåst because they would do as you want them to do.
15.03.2011 - 18:36
Baz Anderson

Perhaps the word "epic" is becoming a little too easily used to describe things...
15.03.2011 - 19:35
Zuzuz0r

I guess "fanboy" is another overused word.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
15.03.2011 - 19:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Zuzuz0r on 15.03.2011 at 19:35

I guess "fanboy" is another overused word.

Bah you took my answer! I think if you did a search through the forums here "fanboy" would probably appear the most (outside of words like "the", "and", etc. of course).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2011 - 00:11
RavenKing

Written by moe5512 on 15.03.2011 at 17:12

they would be mainstream if they would go back to hatebreeder/stormblåst because they would do as you want them to do.

They are by releasing crappy modern-sounding garbage targeted specifically at teenagers.
----
16.03.2011 - 00:15
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.03.2011 at 18:36

Perhaps the word "epic" is becoming a little too easily used to describe things...

Epic is overrused in more than just metal- Epic is the new "cool" word- What once was groovy is now epic. Very irritating...
16.03.2011 - 00:34
moe5512

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 00:11

They are by releasing crappy modern-sounding garbage targeted specifically at teenagers.

no.
16.03.2011 - 00:47
RavenKing

Written by moe5512 on 16.03.2011 at 00:34

no.

Believe what you want. Listen to your garbage, while I'm listening to good music.
----
16.03.2011 - 01:31
moe5512

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 00:47

Written by moe5512 on 16.03.2011 at 00:34

no.

Believe what you want. Listen to your garbage, while I'm listening to good music.

oh you
16.03.2011 - 01:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Garbage is another abused word when referring to someone else's musical tastes. Not just in metal either.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2011 - 04:29
Zuzuz0r

Also, a phrase commonly used is "targeted at teenagers", yeah, it came to my mind because I saw it being posted here, but then I realized it's often used at metal forums and related sites.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
21.03.2011 - 01:49
Yasmine

Pseudo Alpha males abuse the word gay like I abuse.....nevermind. It's abused.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
21.03.2011 - 01:54
Tormentor666

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but... "open-minded/narrow-minded".
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
21.03.2011 - 02:02
Yasmine

Written by Tormentor666 on 21.03.2011 at 01:54

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but... "open-minded/narrow-minded".

Sounds like religious debate when it gets to terms like that.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u