Metal Storm logo
The most abused word in metal?

Original post

Posted by Got Mayhem?, 16.03.2010 - 03:02
It's probably been said before, so excuse me if I've resurrected the body of a beaten horse.

Something that's irked me for quite a while now has been the use of the word "Progressive". It isn't exactly the word that bothers me, instead it is the way that it's often use that gives me a sinking feeling.

Progressive - adj, making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods.

Certainly, there have been many bands in metal that have earned the title of a truly progressive band. I don't want to mention names because I'd like to keep the discussion away from squabbling over band genres. But seriously, does anyone else feel we use the word progressive too often? It seems all a band needs to do these days to have 'Prog' put in front of their main genre is add some middle eastern element or set of obscure South American instruments played only by a single tribe in the deepest part of the amazon. It doesn't seem to matter if another band has already done it or not. Once a single band does something progressive, is every band that follows suit also progressive? Or just a bunch of copy cats.

Discuss, I guess. If you want.
24.03.2011 - 04:19
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Tormentor666 on 21.03.2011 at 01:54

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but... "open-minded/narrow-minded".

Yeah, those terms are stupidley overused. Some people just can't handle that others can dislike their favorte bands... Elitist ties into here, which is also ridiculously overused. Hell, the people that say that "You just dislike this band cause you're elitist" are actually being pretty elitistic themselves, claiming that the band is so damn good tht it's impossible to genuianly dislike...
24.03.2011 - 05:25
Yasmine
I think there's a few bands that are too good to dislike. LOL I loathe loathe anytime people based their music tastes on image.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 12:02
rudski
Brutal
24.03.2011 - 12:21
whatsacow
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 05:25

I think there's a few bands that are too good to dislike. LOL I loathe loathe anytime people based their music tastes on image.

Damn straight. Like when someone bashes nu metal or something, but has korn in their favourites list. Like what you like. Who gives a flying fuck what internet people think of you.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
24.03.2011 - 16:08
Yasmine
Written by whatsacow on 24.03.2011 at 12:21

Damn straight. Like when someone bashes nu metal or something, but has korn in their favourites list. Like what you like. Who gives a flying fuck what internet people think of you.

Total agreement. I know my friend's brother hates death metal, but thinks stuff like Sevendust, Korn and System of a Down are the best bands of all time.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 22:15
whatsacow
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 16:08

Written by whatsacow on 24.03.2011 at 12:21

Total agreement. I know my friend's brother hates death metal, but thinks stuff like Sevendust, Korn and System of a Down are the best bands of all time.

I have no problem with that. Like what you like. Personally, I don't like most nu metal bands (lthough I do love deftones and the occasional SOAD song) but if someone else likes it, I don't see what the big deal is.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
24.03.2011 - 22:25
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Well, most old school metalheads get angry about it because a lot of it simply isn't metal, yet is called metal. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn... None of them are metal bands. I can understand why an old school metalhead growing up on thrash would be a little angry over "metal" kids with their baggy pants, sideways hats, and Limp Bizkit shirts.
24.03.2011 - 22:29
whatsacow
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 22:25

Well, most old school metalheads get angry about it because a lot of it simply isn't metal, yet is called metal. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn... None of them are metal bands. I can understand why an old school metalhead growing up on thrash would be a little angry over "metal" kids with their baggy pants, sideways hats, and Limp Bizkit shirts.

Yeah, but its all about evolution. Old old school metalheads would've had problems with thrash, death and black, seeing kids in corpse paint or saying: you can't mix metal with punk mentalities!
----
24.03.2011 - 22:36
Yasmine

Right you are! THeory wise the only thing in common is power chords, calling it metal is a far stretch.
----
25.03.2011 - 00:07
RavenKing
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 22:36

Right you are! THeory wise the only thing in common is power chords, calling it metal is a far stretch.

Indeed. Lots of stuff people call metal today is not metal from my point of view.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.03.2011 - 01:43
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 24.03.2011 at 22:29

Yeah, but its all about evolution. Old old school metalheads would've had problems with thrash, death and black, seeing kids in corpse paint or saying: you can't mix metal with punk mentalities!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NWOBHM, which really defined a metal scene and metal as a distinct genre from hard rock, have a similar ideology to punk? I know that in early Maiden for example, punk influence is very evident.
25.03.2011 - 01:57
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 01:43

Written by whatsacow on 24.03.2011 at 22:29

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NWOBHM, which really defined a metal scene and metal as a distinct genre from hard rock, have a similar ideology to punk? I know that in early Maiden for example, punk influence is very evident.

No in theory metal and punk have nothing in common, you see Maiden HAD punk influences, building metal as a genre meant leaving those punk roots behind. And Priest never had any of that influence.
----
25.03.2011 - 02:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 01:57
No in theory metal and punk have nothing in common, you see Maiden HAD punk influences, building metal as a genre meant leaving those punk roots behind. And Priest never had any of that influence.

Exactly. Priest and Black Sabbath are the most influential of all metal bands, and neither had punk infleunces. Heck, punk wasn't even around when those bands started. lol Of course, later on, some metal bands did incorporate some punk infleunces, but they are still entirely seperate genres, and not connected at all.
25.03.2011 - 03:34
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 02:19

Exactly. Priest and Black Sabbath are the most influential of all metal bands, and neither had punk infleunces. Heck, punk wasn't even around when those bands started. lol Of course, later on, some metal bands did incorporate some punk infleunces, but they are still entirely seperate genres, and not connected at all.

I agree. With both of you.

P.S. Always a pleasure to see women with good knowledge about Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.03.2011 - 05:05
Yasmine
Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 03:34

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 02:19

I agree. With both of you.

He he he you'll have to hear me play sometime.
----
25.03.2011 - 06:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious

It's always a pleasure for me to debate/chat about metal.

I think there are more of us out there than most guys believe, because it's still a widely held belief by most guys that women don't have a good knowledge of metal, outside of superficial elements. *sighs*

@Yasmine: I also play guitar, though only a couple of MS members have actually heard me play. lol
25.03.2011 - 06:36
Yasmine
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.03.2011 at 06:29

I think there are more of us out there than most guys believe, because it's still a widely held belief by most guys that women don't have a good knowledge of metal, outside of superficial elements. *sighs*

@Yasmine: I also play guitar, though only a couple of MS members have actually heard me play. lol

IF you can record, free time something and put it up hear, I'll listen. Also if anyone ever wants to brain storm songs, ideas, anything here. I would totally lend a hand.
----
25.03.2011 - 07:29
whatsacow
Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 06:36

IF you can record, free time something and put it up hear, I'll listen. Also if anyone ever wants to brain storm songs, ideas, anything here. I would totally lend a hand.

Yeah, you should record stuff. I also play guitar lol. I'd be very interested to hear your stuff. Do you write your own stuff or just play covers? Btw, we've gotten away from the topic a little I believe lol.
----
25.03.2011 - 09:01
Yasmine
Written by whatsacow on 25.03.2011 at 07:29

Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 06:36

Yeah, you should record stuff. I also play guitar lol. I'd be very interested to hear your stuff. Do you write your own stuff or just play covers? Btw, we've gotten away from the topic a little I believe lol.

I write my own stuff, I think it tends to be on the black/death metal side, Kinda techy, a few songs have progressive touches.
----
29.03.2011 - 13:08
Andre
Here are some from the top of my mind

Trvv
Cult
Brootal
Necro
Grim
29.03.2011 - 13:24
ForeverDarkWoods
I'm going to still stick with the word "elitist". Out of all the strawmen used to look down on the musical tastes of others, this is by far the most annoying.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.03.2011 - 13:26
Andre
L33t1st
yeah, that one is a gem.
29.03.2011 - 16:04
Yasmine
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.03.2011 at 13:24

I'm going to still stick with the word "elitist". Out of all the strawmen used to look down on the musical tastes of others, this is by far the most annoying.

Yea, I've been called that quite a bit, elitiest often when my fav band is more techy than your's. Or it's gay when the person listen to what they listen to based on image.
----
29.03.2011 - 16:10
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 16:04

Yea, I've been called that quite a bit, elitiest often when my fav band is more techy than your's. Or it's gay when the person listen to what they listen to based on image.

Or it's when a guy like me starts hating on Opeth or Agalloch because they suck, and then some kids who have been mesmerized by all the candy fluff metal tells me I'm an elitist.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.03.2011 - 16:11
Yasmine
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.03.2011 at 16:10

Or it's when a guy like me starts hating on Opeth or Agalloch because they suck, and then some kids who have been mesmerized by all the candy fluff metal tells me I'm an elitist.

lol I can't stand Opeth or Agalloch either. lol
----
30.03.2011 - 23:46
Yojimbo
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.03.2011 at 16:10

If you start hating on Opeth and Agalloch I'll back you up. That shit is so overrated.
30.03.2011 - 23:53
Yojimbo
Another word totally abused in metal, "the". I hate when people say "the band" or "the song" like they're so cool.

Also, "hate". I hate when people say they hate a band or a song. It's so out of place here. Metal's about love and peace and happiness.

...I love you all.
31.03.2011 - 00:14
Storchillarn
Written by Andre on 29.03.2011 at 13:08

Here are some from the top of my mind

Trvv
Cult

I love those words. Does anyone know if the word true as a way of describing music is used in other genres than metal? I'm guessing it might be but I haven't really seen it. To me that word will always be connected to Black Metal dumbasses arguing about underground, church burning, wannabe-satanic bands in relation to the "popular" ones. I love to use it when discussing music because it always has an effect.

EDIT: Also, I hate seeing elitist people take the piss out of Opeth, the most trvv band ever.
31.03.2011 - 00:15
Yasmine
Written by Yojimbo on 30.03.2011 at 23:53

Another word totally abused in metal, "the". I hate when people say "the band" or "the song" like they're so cool.

Also, "hate". I hate when people say they hate a band or a song. It's so out of place here. Metal's about love and peace and happiness.

...I love you all.

"LOL" is over used too.....lol!

OPeth puts me to sleep about as fast as country does to be honest. Okay okay I'm done.
----
31.03.2011 - 00:20
Storchillarn
Written by Yasmine on 31.03.2011 at 00:15

Written by Yojimbo on 30.03.2011 at 23:53

...I love you all.

"LOL" is over used too.....lol!

OPeth puts me to sleep about as fast as country does to be honest. Okay okay I'm done.

So you're narrow-minded then?