05. Deadlight
06. Dead World Assembly
07. A Phantom Dissonance
08. The Quiet Storm
09. The Death Of Hours
10. Wall Of Sighs [bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2011

Additional info
Available as limited digipak with bonus track and A2 poster.

A video was made for the song "The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight".

Recorded at Dead Dog Farm Studios by Johan Ericson
Drums recorded at Studio Mega by Johan Örnborg
Vocals recorded at Fascination Street Studios by Jens Bogren.

Produced by Johan Ericson, co-produced by Jens Bogren and Johan Örnborg
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.

Music written by Johan Ericson and Draconian
Lyrics written by Anders Jacobsson apart from "End of the Rope" and "The Death of Hours" written by Anders Jacobsson and Erik Arvidsson and "Elysian Night" written by Anders Jacobsson and Johan Ericson.

Artwork by Seth Siro Anton
Band photography by Linda Åkerberg.

Quote in "Dead World Assembly" taken from the poem" Earth's Answer".
Quote in "The Death of Hours" taken from the poem "Unforgotten".
Sample in "Elysian Night "from a reading of "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Being around since 1994, Draconian is one of those bands that had to be patient so as to see their visions come true and it wasn't until 2003 when their melodic gothic doom/death metal debut came to the surface. Despite their heavy influences from pioneering acts with personal sound (Theatre Of Tragedy, Katatonia, Paradise Lost to name the more dominant ones) they managed through their inspirational/emotional status and persuading performance to reach the hearts of the aforementioned scene's audience and create quite a buzz around them.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2011 | Comments (87)

Guest review by
Vonpire
Rating:
Whenever I hear Draconian playing, I feel a bag of mixed feelings: calm but heavy, deep and majestic. And especially something I don't feel with many bands... chills all over my spine. And that for me is priceless.

The first time I heard this album it didn't hit me exactly like I was expecting. Fortunately, what I thought of the album upon my first listen has been completely changed with the subsequent hearings. Now I put it at a high level of excellence, at the level of previous Draconian works. It brings them a more mature sound, but with the same geniality and force as ever, clearly showing that they are a top gothic/doom metal act with merit.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2011 | Comments (71)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 7

Comments: 185   Visited by: 1487 users
01.07.2011 - 02:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vonpire on 01.07.2011 at 01:59

If only you talked of 1 vote abusers, I would agree. But we never agree, right ?

I don't know... For me, giving a huge load of 10's is at the same level as a huge load of 1's
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2011 - 02:46
Rating: 10
Vonpire

I never rated anything that I didnt listened. So if I think a album is worth a 10 where is the problem MrDoc? In 600 +- ratings 70 something 10 are much? Maybe for some...

Now playing that card to say that someone opinion is useless is something new. And almost all is from staff. Feel free to do/tell anything you want...Without wanting to offend looks like Marcel is some "sacred cow" that one cant discord.

Btw the elite thing is what appears on some of you guys profile. It wasnt me who invented it or gave that title to anyone.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
01.07.2011 - 02:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vonpire on 01.07.2011 at 02:46

I never rated anything that I didnt listened. So if I think a album is worth a 10 where is the problem MrDoc? In 600 +- ratings 70 something 10 are much? Maybe for some...

I'm not talking about you personally. Stop thinking that. I'm just giving a overall opinion about the subject. I don't care about your ratings, I really don't care. I was just saying that people who overuse high ratings are pretty much in the same level as those who overuse low ratings.

If you somehow feel like the comment was aimed at you while being obviously clear that it wasn't aimed at anyone... well, not really my problem
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2011 - 03:21
Vonpire

I just made you 2 questions. Nothing more.
You answered none.
----
01.07.2011 - 03:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vonpire on 01.07.2011 at 03:21

I just made you 2 questions. Nothing more.
You answered none.

Why didn't I answered to your questions? You're really wondering why I didn't do that? Is pretty clear: I don't care about your ratings, I never commented on them. I told you that before and I maded it perfectly clear: I DON'T CARE. I gave a general observation about the subject of overrusing rating but you seem to think that all my comments are aimed at you so you think I HAVE to answer your questions...

Well... No, I don't need to because you're not even giving me a reason to answer since once again: I never commented about your ratings. Why don't you ask such questions to those who call you on that? BitterCOld and Marcel were clearly posting about YOUR ratings. Not me... So really: Why do you bother ME with questions that I shouldn't even answer?

... Before even thinking about answering to your questions. Answer this one: Why do you ask ME those things instead of those who call you on your ratings?

Edit: Forget it, dude. Don't answer anything. This won't lead anywhere. We're done.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2011 - 04:48
Vonpire

No I answer you that one. I just wanted to hear YOUR particular opinion on the subject. Instead of that you wrote this.

After all youre the only one that I wrote pm.

No need to be bothered or to answer at all.
----
01.07.2011 - 05:09
Rating: 8
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Maybe we could stop flaming each other and discuss the album?
01.07.2011 - 08:50
Behdaad
DEAD
I don't get what's this discussion all about!
2 people: one likes the album, the other one doesn't and now, they are arguing about some stupid things that don't relate to THE ALBUM at all!

Come on guys! You like it, listen to it.
You don't like it, don't listen to it!
I think it's easy!
Try not to persuade others that a album you like is the best and the album you don't like sucks.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
01.07.2011 - 14:50
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
I see this is still going on .
"note : I am a huge fan of Draconian"
what defines a good singer is the ability to carry out the stuff he\she records in the studio and deliver it in the same way live ..... and Lisa doesn't , I have heard some calling her live performance abysmal. so when anyone throws this opinion anywhere I can totally understand.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.07.2011 - 16:43
Being and Time

Written by Sepulchre on 01.07.2011 at 05:09

Maybe we could stop flaming each other and discuss the album?

I agree with you. I invested all this time to read all the posts and it's like we've completely forgotten there's an album in the mix here. As much as I tried to keep the peace before, there always seem to be people who want to open it back up to a discussion on the characteristics of the "fanboy".

In fact, even though I disagree with Vonpire's opinion, I feel SORRY for Vonpire here-- he has an opinion and he's constantly being attacked (if subtly) simply for giving 10s all around. The # of 10s a person gives to albums contributes nothing of substance to the conversation. And yes, he has an entirely rational opinion that has been fully expressed. He's a real person- even if he appears illogical or appears to lack objectivity, just let it rest and leave him alone. He has given reasons as to why he liked the album. You've tried to engage him, but there isn't any ground for discussing the album between you guys and Vonpire.

As for Vonpire...you need to stop responding to every little remark that someone makes that you are in full disagreement with and stop looking for answers to questions that just don't matter in the span of things. Recognize certain individuals have drastically different opinions that are just as valid as yours (even though you are having more fun listening to the album) and actually appreciate it. We always forget about how privileged we have it-- we live in environments where we can express our opinions freely and we can take in different opinions from all around the world. This situation is not to be dismissed and "thrown in the garbage"-- this needs to be celebrated and endowed with the dignity and respect it deserves (ie. Marcel is not a "duh" sacred-cow-newspaper hybrid). If you continue the way you are currently acting, it's sure going to be tough enjoying life.
04.07.2011 - 12:08
Morphine Cloud

I really liked the guitar on this album (and the instrumentation in general actually), but I felt that both Lisa and Anders have performed better in the past. Anders in particular, who in my opinion did his best work on Arcane Rain Fell but has become less emotive over time.
But hey, this is just my thoughts on the album. Everyone's got an opinion and the best type of opinion is one that is rational...
04.07.2011 - 12:14
Rating: 9
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Written by Morphine Cloud on 04.07.2011 at 12:08

I really liked the guitar on this album (and the instrumentation in general actually), but I felt that both Lisa and Anders have performed better in the past. Anders in particular, who in my opinion did his best work on Arcane Rain Fell but has become less emotive over time.
But hey, this is just my thoughts on the album. Everyone's got an opinion and the best type of opinion is one that is rational...

I think Lisa's voice is magnificent on this album, and IMO better than in ARF.
04.07.2011 - 12:17
Morphine Cloud

Written by Carl Berg on 04.07.2011 at 12:14

Written by Morphine Cloud on 04.07.2011 at 12:08

I think Lisa's voice is magnificent on this album, and IMO better than in ARF.

I do think she was good, I just prefer her voice in earlier albums, even if it was unfortunately more sparse.
10.07.2011 - 16:23
Night Sight

One of the best albums in 2011
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
10.07.2011 - 16:58
Rating: 6
rekkuza-

I would say that it is stronger than "Turning Seasons Within", in terms of instrumental complexity and musical structure. It is good under its own merits, but I have preferred, and will always prefer how they sounded in the days of "Arcane Rain Fell". I was introduced to them as a gothic-doom band, though their new sound, if I would have to label them, they would be doomy melodeath metal.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
14.07.2011 - 00:20
Glabrezu

This is a good album, but I expected something different from Draconian.. It's too near to standard gothic albums, they lost their unique sound giving more space to Lisa's vocals (really magnificient in "The Drowning Age" and "Elysian Night"), but I can't find here the doomy touch I loved, that expressivness present in their older releases and fortunately still alive in Doom:VS project.
Now I can say I love a little bit more Lisa and a little less Draconian.
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
14.07.2011 - 04:25
Metal_4Ever

Written by Night Sight on 10.07.2011 at 16:23

You should delete first tow words
14.07.2011 - 09:53
Behdaad
DEAD
Written by Glabrezu on 14.07.2011 at 00:20

This is a good album, but I expected something different from Draconian.. It's too near to standard gothic albums, they lost their unique sound giving more space to Lisa's vocals (really magnificient in "The Drowning Age" and "Elysian Night"), but I can't find here the doomy touch I loved, that expressivness present in their older releases and fortunately still alive in Doom:VS project.
Now I can say I love a little bit more Lisa and a little less Draconian.

Completely agreed.
I think Johan is saving riffs and melodies for Doom:VS!
Still, I think it's a very nice album.
At least it's much better than Turning Season Within.
Lisa sings simply amazing.
BUT! My love for Draconian didn't get less even a bit!

Written by Metal_4Ever on 14.07.2011 at 04:25

Written by Night Sight on 10.07.2011 at 16:23

You should delete first tow words

Haha!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
16.07.2011 - 16:10
Kenos
Account deleted
Plastic doom metal...
17.07.2011 - 05:47
Vonpire

Outstanding Gothic Doom Metal !
----
17.07.2011 - 07:55
rekkuza-

Written by Guest on 16.07.2011 at 16:10

Plastic doom metal...

Agreed. But according to many gothic metal fans with whom I have spoken, they believe that this album should be deemed godly in the genre. I don't know about that though...
----
17.07.2011 - 20:50
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by rekkuza- on 17.07.2011 at 07:55

Written by Guest on 16.07.2011 at 16:10

Plastic doom metal...

Agreed. But according to many gothic metal fans with whom I have spoken, they believe that this album should be deemed godly in the genre. I don't know about that though...

In my opinion only the goth-doom albums of the 90's are noteworthy... Apart from the well-known bands of the genre, I could mention overlooked albums like "Bloody Kisses" or "October Rust", which are original and ballsy, but most of all they manage to sound gothic without being redundant and inexpressive like these Plasticonian...
"Arcane Rain Fell" sounded good to me, but then this band became soon a cunning example of how to re(rere)hash the same old ideas over and over and make them appear fresher thanks just to a bombastic production and a massive hype as well.
Anyway, I found this album to be totally predictable, affected and insipid in its substance, yet somehow not a painful listen: the songs are well structured and perfectly crafted, while the production has a powerful sound, hence it's formally flawless.
It just exists. That's all.

(5,5/10)
17.07.2011 - 23:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Bloody Kisses overlooked?

That one is generally hailed as one of the best Gothic Doom/Metal albums ever.
Btw that's a Gothisc Doom/Metal album that was and still is totally relevant and brilliant.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2011 - 00:40
Kenos
Account deleted
Now that I think of it, you're right Marcel. I just talked bullshit.
The fact is that I'm a huge fan of TON and I always try to involve (and hype) them at every occasion.
18.07.2011 - 05:17
rekkuza-

Ever noticed in this album, many songs started on the same key? Even the ones that don't start on the same key, start on the same mode... Draconian has become so not lazy indeed.
----
19.07.2011 - 04:40
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.06.2011 at 20:57

At first, I thought this album was meh, but after reading these comments, I'm sure it's just... like... duh.

It gave me more of a derp vibe, but there were some significant duh influences.
20.07.2011 - 09:54
INÆRIS

Written by rekkuza- on 18.07.2011 at 05:17

Ever noticed in this album, many songs started on the same key? Even the ones that don't start on the same key, start on the same mode... Draconian has become so not lazy indeed.

Every song on Metallica's Master of Puppets starts in the key of E. Most of In Flames' songs from The Jester Race to Reroute through to Remain are in the key of C. Every song but Black Rose Immortal on Opeth's Morningrise starts in the key of E. The list goes on, but this doesn't mean that these are bad songs, or bad albums. A lot of it has to do with guitar tunings, making it more difficult to play in some keys than others. Also vocalists sometimes prefer certain keys for their range. I totally understand that a key can seem a bit exhausted after a while, but I try to take each song for what it is. Sorry if I came across as snobbish. I only meant to prove a small point.
----
Still Life, Still Death
20.07.2011 - 17:17
rekkuza-

Yes, I realize that. See, despite the fact that many albums start on the same key, a truly good one will have other ways to compensate for this potential source of tedium. For example, in Morningrise, Opeth doesn't necessarily have to make almost every riff start on the same note of the key, or have similar intros for many of the tracks on the same album. I guess I did not elaborate my previous point well enough, I REALLY meant to say that many of the songs in RFTA sound so similar to each other. xDDD Similar riff structures, whether in the rhythm, or the notes themselves, climbing and jumping up and down some minor scale. Similar keyboards, very few variations in the drumming.. AHH!!! It is like being told the same story over and over again. At least in previous Draconian albums, there is SOME variation. Personally, albums like this just drive me insane. I personally found it very hard to take the songs individually for what they are, due to the insufferable homogeneity from one song to the next.. :S
----
21.07.2011 - 01:11
advent

Written by rekkuza- on 20.07.2011 at 17:17

Yes, I realize that. See, despite the fact that many albums start on the same key, a truly good one will have other ways to compensate for this potential source of tedium. For example, in Morningrise, Opeth doesn't necessarily have to make almost every riff start on the same note of the key, or have similar intros for many of the tracks on the same album. I guess I did not elaborate my previous point well enough, I REALLY meant to say that many of the songs in RFTA sound so similar to each other. xDDD Similar riff structures, whether in the rhythm, or the notes themselves, climbing and jumping up and down some minor scale. Similar keyboards, very few variations in the drumming.. AHH!!! It is like being told the same story over and over again. At least in previous Draconian albums, there is SOME variation. Personally, albums like this just drive me insane. I personally found it very hard to take the songs individually for what they are, due to the insufferable homogeneity from one song to the next.. :S

i do agree with every word you said. i felt that the album has nothing new to offer, it bored me to death.
21.07.2011 - 11:07
Jason W.
Razorbliss
My opinion on this album versus their previos effort expresses the difference between an album that has something special artistically, and an album that is mostly devoid of anything special, that essence that reminds me that music can transcend the daily boredom and make me care about the present & future again. I've found it difficult to listen to this new album more than once all the way through, as it's so predictable, and only a few vocal melodies of Lisa add anything memorable to the listening experience for me. Turning Season Within possessed the passion and need to create something new, while this release is mechanical. Still good (sound quality, etc.), but considering I've already returned to listening to TSW, I doubt this release will hold much value for me in future years unfortunately. Too bad...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Hits total: 40515 | This month: 23