05. Deadlight
06. Dead World Assembly
07. A Phantom Dissonance
08. The Quiet Storm
09. The Death Of Hours
10. Wall Of Sighs [bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2011

Additional info
Available as limited digipak with bonus track and A2 poster.

A video was made for the song "The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight".

Recorded at Dead Dog Farm Studios by Johan Ericson
Drums recorded at Studio Mega by Johan Örnborg
Vocals recorded at Fascination Street Studios by Jens Bogren.

Produced by Johan Ericson, co-produced by Jens Bogren and Johan Örnborg
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.

Music written by Johan Ericson and Draconian
Lyrics written by Anders Jacobsson apart from "End of the Rope" and "The Death of Hours" written by Anders Jacobsson and Erik Arvidsson and "Elysian Night" written by Anders Jacobsson and Johan Ericson.

Artwork by Seth Siro Anton
Band photography by Linda Åkerberg.

Quote in "Dead World Assembly" taken from the poem" Earth's Answer".
Quote in "The Death of Hours" taken from the poem "Unforgotten".
Sample in "Elysian Night "from a reading of "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Being around since 1994, Draconian is one of those bands that had to be patient so as to see their visions come true and it wasn't until 2003 when their melodic gothic doom/death metal debut came to the surface. Despite their heavy influences from pioneering acts with personal sound (Theatre Of Tragedy, Katatonia, Paradise Lost to name the more dominant ones) they managed through their inspirational/emotional status and persuading performance to reach the hearts of the aforementioned scene's audience and create quite a buzz around them.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2011 | Comments (87)

Guest review by
Vonpire
Rating:
Whenever I hear Draconian playing, I feel a bag of mixed feelings: calm but heavy, deep and majestic. And especially something I don't feel with many bands... chills all over my spine. And that for me is priceless.

The first time I heard this album it didn't hit me exactly like I was expecting. Fortunately, what I thought of the album upon my first listen has been completely changed with the subsequent hearings. Now I put it at a high level of excellence, at the level of previous Draconian works. It brings them a more mature sound, but with the same geniality and force as ever, clearly showing that they are a top gothic/doom metal act with merit.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2011 | Comments (71)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 185   Visited by: 1487 users
05.08.2011 - 19:40
Rating: 8
Behdaad
DEAD
Written by Guest on 02.08.2011 at 23:26

You pretty much nailed this album. Pretty much all the highlights in this album are some of Lisa's vocal performances. It's the only thing that tries to be adventurous and show some passion towards the music they perform. Like you said, nothing wrong how they have produced their stuff this time, but their melodies repeat too much this time. And their drummer's every hit is quite predictable.
About the songs... The first four tracks are actually enjoyable, but after that the banality begins to eat me alive. Especially the track "Dead World Assembly" is just so boring that I find it hard to believe they couldn't do a better track. From the rest of the songs "A Phantom Dissonance" & "The Death Of Hours" I could call decent songs, nothing more really.

That's one thing that is annoying me in this album.

BTW, you said something really interesting about "Dead World Assembly", which actually isn't a favorite of mine, but here's the list which Anders Jacobsson (Draconian's Singer) himself posted in their official forum, sorting this album songs by his interest in the songs:

1. Dead World Assembly
2. End of the Rope
3. Deadlight
4. A Phantom Dissonance
5. The Drowning Age
6. The Quiet Storm
7. Elysian Night
8. Wall of Sighs
9. The Death of Hours
10. The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight

And of course you see the number one! I'm wondering why he chose that song! I bet he's simply in love with that song, cause when I wrote my opinion about the album and said that I didn't like that song, he quoted my post and said that he loves that song.

BTW, here's mine:

1. The Drowning Age
2. Deadlight
3. Elysian Night
4. A Phantom Dissonance
5. The End of the Rope
6. The Death of Hours
7. The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight
8. The Quiet Storm
9. Dead World Assembly
10. Wall of Sighs
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
09.08.2011 - 09:21
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Jason W. on 21.07.2011 at 11:07

My opinion on this album versus their previos effort expresses the difference between an album that has something special artistically, and an album that is mostly devoid of anything special, that essence that reminds me that music can transcend the daily boredom and make me care about the present & future again. I've found it difficult to listen to this new album more than once all the way through, as it's so predictable, and only a few vocal melodies of Lisa add anything memorable to the listening experience for me. Turning Season Within possessed the passion and need to create something new, while this release is mechanical. Still good (sound quality, etc.), but considering I've already returned to listening to TSW, I doubt this release will hold much value for me in future years unfortunately. Too bad...

Perhaps it's because you find the music predictable that that 'something special' is actually there, but it's not 'special', if you understand what I mean. Because it's got that certain something which made the band's previous albums enjoyable AND the music in general as well as this certain something are predictable. I guess that's my opinion about the album too, its definitely got 'something' but it really isn't particularly unique in any way to make it standout.

If someone totally unfamiliar with Draconian were to listen to and enjoy this album before their previous releases, I wonder if they would agree that there isn't anything 'special' about it?
10.08.2011 - 20:18
serega25

The old Draconian is dead..., but the new Draconian has many great songs.
12.08.2011 - 16:51
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Written by serega25 on 10.08.2011 at 20:18

The old Draconian is dead..., but the new Draconian has many great songs.

----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
12.08.2011 - 21:59
serega25

Thanks Vonpire . I hope, they will play many songs from "A Rose For The Apocalypse" in live shows.
12.08.2011 - 23:38
Behdaad
DEAD
Written by serega25 on 12.08.2011 at 21:59

Thanks Vonpire . I hope, they will play many songs from "A Rose For The Apocalypse" in live shows.

I think those smileys from Vonpire were kinda 'ironic' I guess! At least about the death of Draconian!
BTW, I don't think that the old Draconian is dead. I think they've changed and this is the natural way of being a band.
I think if they were still trying to create another Arcane Rain Fail, they would fail and also sound boring.

But still, I hope the next album of them will be a different work from all they've done so far.
----
18.08.2011 - 12:29
the Dreamer

I heard this Album ..... , and I Loved every Song (Specially -Elysian Night- and -Dead World Assembly-)
27.08.2011 - 22:32
greg_lecter

I like the guitar work, yes, far from doom and close to the Opeth esque, the path that Draconian is walking it's interesting to me, and have a lot in common with the path of a former Doom gods Tristania, but with better results. Despite of many of the people who listens Draconian don´t like the voices, I love Lisa´s vocals, very different from the stereotype of this kind of bands. Draconian definitely stands out in the scene.
30.08.2011 - 19:43
Rating: 6
Draugen

Written by greg_lecter on 27.08.2011 at 22:32

I like the guitar work, yes, far from doom and close to the Opeth esque, the path that Draconian is walking it's interesting to me, and have a lot in common with the path of a former Doom gods Tristania, but with better results.

When did Tristania play doom metal I wonder?
30.08.2011 - 20:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Draugen on 30.08.2011 at 19:43

Written by greg_lecter on 27.08.2011 at 22:32

I like the guitar work, yes, far from doom and close to the Opeth esque, the path that Draconian is walking it's interesting to me, and have a lot in common with the path of a former Doom gods Tristania, but with better results.

When did Tristania play doom metal I wonder?

Maybe he mixed them up with Tristitia? Happens uquite often, it seems.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2011 - 20:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2011 at 20:01

Tristitia

What an awful name. The only thing that is cool is that it makes me think of titties.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.08.2011 - 20:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.08.2011 at 20:17

Tristitia

What an awful name. The only thing that is cool is that it makes me think of titties.

I would imagine it's pronounced triss-teesha =P
30.08.2011 - 20:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 30.08.2011 at 20:24

Tristitia

I would imagine it's pronounced triss-teesha =P

Fuck it, the name is meh so I would call them tristitie or something like that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.08.2011 - 21:04
Vonpire

Oh yeah and "warning" should be called "whining".

Just to o.t. a bit more!

Please proceed
----
28.10.2011 - 21:28
Night Sight

More i listen i found it less enjoyable
if i want to compare it with their previous records such as turning seasons within and the burning halo witch are my favorite albums it is not as well as them and this album has not all the sad elements that i always enjoyed in draconian.
and also the themes of the lyrics has changed a lot
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
05.11.2011 - 17:22
Behdaad
DEAD
Written by Night Sight on 28.10.2011 at 21:28

More i listen i found it less enjoyable
if i want to compare it with their previous records such as turning seasons within and the burning halo witch are my favorite albums it is not as well as them and this album has not all the sad elements that i always enjoyed in draconian.
the themes of the lyrics has changed a lot .most of the songs are not catchy and lacks the creativity

A complete difference here!
These days, I'm really enjoying it, specially with it's great lyrics.
I'm really enjoying this album.

Lyrics are amazing, specially 'A Phantom Dissonance'.
Although, I think the music could be better but I'm really enjoying this one.
----
06.11.2011 - 16:00
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.08.2011 at 20:32

Fuck it, the name is meh so I would call them tristitie or something like that.

off-topic : the band is meh too, uninspired unoriginal gothic doom

on-topic : this album did not get better at all even though I try an listen to it every once and a while. plastic is the word for the sound on this album
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.11.2011 - 16:10
Ag Fox
Angel No More

Tristitia

when I saw it, my warped mind immediately replaced the "r" with a "w" >.>
----
loves 小巫
12.11.2011 - 16:26
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Good album... but nothing more than that. At first I thought that maybe I should give it a couple more chances. And, indeed, as I started to listen to it again, I felt that I can like this album but then, sometime around the fourth track I realized that I won't be able to fall in love with this album. These songs just cannot touch the strings of my heart, and that's the big difference between "A Rose for the Apocalypse" and "Turning Season Within", as well as their earlier albums. Too bad, I had great expectations...

A little off-topic:
Written by InnerSelf on 06.11.2011 at 16:00

off-topic : the band is meh too, uninspired unoriginal gothic doom

You may be right here, but I still enjoy any Tristitia album more than this one.

Also... Am I the only one who got instantly reminded of Paradise Lost when hearing the main riff of Dead World Assembly?
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
01.03.2012 - 17:14
Vonpire

Guess who won best gothic this year ?
----
01.03.2012 - 17:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vonpire on 01.03.2012 at 17:14

Guess who won best gothic this year ?

The most popular band of course.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2012 - 17:21
Vonpire

Most popular (!? very questionable ?!) and with the better index (69).

And you forgot, the BEST album, of course.

Where's that tag of best gothic album of the year BTW? Ended this year?

And btw Megadeth won, Nightwish won, Opeth won... Sure it's all about popularity (NOT).
----
30.04.2012 - 18:21
omjaimes
omjaimes
Written by Vonpire on 01.03.2012 at 17:21

Most popular (!? very questionable ?!) and with the better index (69).

And you forgot, the BEST album, of course.

Where's that tag of best gothic album of the year BTW? Ended this year?

And btw Megadeth won, Nightwish won, Opeth won... Sure it's all about popularity (NOT).

Oh please! A Rose for the Apocalypse is a very good album BUT everyone knows that Abyss Masterpiece is so much remarkable, better in production, better in balance, better in arrangements, better in originallity... just try to be objective ... pay attention in this details
30.04.2012 - 18:41
Vonpire

In fact if you watch my top 2011 Abyss Masterpiece comes in second place and, yes , it's an amazing album from a band I know since they begin (and by knowing i mean I really KNOW them)... Try to be objective? Huh

"Everyone" hasn't voted for gothic album of the year it appears

Peace man
----
30.04.2012 - 19:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Can we please stop giving this thread attention.

(Yes I'm aware of the irony of this comment.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.04.2012 - 21:49
omjaimes
omjaimes
Well, I like draconian, I wonder what led you to think is the best album of the year. For me is An album quite normal and predictable, has good ideas, smart riffs, significant individual voices, but one thing seems repetitive, I feel the melody of the voices is inserted blandly in music, is predictable, it unleashes deep emotions . if you look sometimes that happens with bands who write lyrics and music separately and then put it together as they can. It is my personal appreciation, maybe someone else picks the same.

Peace too
03.08.2012 - 10:57
diy

Well,really different talks,BTW sorry if my english in not so good,i remember the day i downloaded this album,wanted to listen to it immediately but still i can't understand how those things happened not to listen to it in around 5-6 pm,finally i listened to it late night,this album is a hell of the gothic/doom metal if you can accept me,every component of a perfect harmony and cooperation between guitars,drum,vocal etc are at the roof level,in end of the rope you experience a change in the middle that takes you to the other world and brings you back at the end of the song,every song is perfect "in my point of view",just listen to it from track 1 to the end with a critical and searching attitude towards it and you'll find things that not every band can create,and god knows,maybe it's because i listened to it in silence/night/alone and of course with a tired mind and body,these all are effective but no matter,this album is really gonna be with me for years,thank you Draconain,youre amazing.
07.09.2012 - 20:15
restartmylife

One of my favorite albums
29.09.2012 - 03:22
Thymournia
Account deleted
Old Draconian was the meaning......... is becoming more business....
just couple of songs, maybe 3 of them are the reminder of Draconian....

Arcane Rain Fell was the last.....
13.12.2013 - 18:21
diy

Anyone knows about the new album?

Hits total: 40512 | This month: 20