08. Command Of The Blade
09. Under The Guillotine
10. Flag Of Hate [bonus]
11. Take Their Lives [bonus]
12. Awakening Of The Gods [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1986: 7

Additional info
Released on Noise Records.

"Choir of the Damned" is extended on the CD version (the running time listed is this version). The version on the LP is about a minute shorter and is missing the harmonised prelude from the CD version.

Reissues have the Flag of Hate EP as bonus tracks, mostly the three song version. The six track version is less common.

There is also a picture disc version of this album, called After the Attack with the new title track as song 10.

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
Don't tell me you haven't listened to Kreator before. We all know this amazing thrash metal band. For many, they are the greatest German thrash metal band, when many others believe they are the best trash metal band ever. But if we take a look on their past albums, we can see they are one of the first bands (along with others, such as Possesed, Venom, etc) who played that thrash/death style which helped so much in the pioneering of death metal. Pleasure To Kill was their trademark album in that period before they turned into a pure thrash metal style. This album was a great influence for many future thrash and death metal bands.

Read more ››
published 20.12.2008 | Comments (27)

Found in 75 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 1322 users
20.03.2010 - 10:44
Pauleto
Account deleted
Excellent album. To me best album from Kreator!
08.04.2010 - 16:49
Rating: 9
Growing

One of the few times when music actually scared me and make me sick to my stomach.
08.04.2010 - 23:18
soadbyob
Account deleted
Best of Kreator in one album
09.07.2010 - 16:47
Rating: 7
Roro

I rate it 7
25.02.2011 - 16:38
Destructo

This is a great album, no doubt but I somehow prefer "Extreme Aggression" more than this one. The sound on that one was much more sinister and evil. But nonetheless, this is a great album in its own right.
25.02.2011 - 20:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Aside from their career best "Coma Of Souls", this is my fave Kreator album. (though it is very close between this one and "Terrible Certainty" for my 2nd fave!) The intensity is very high, and has almost a death metal feel in places. It's a bit like the debut, just even more ferocious, and the songwriting quality is overall better and more consistent. Awesome stuff. xD
26.02.2011 - 14:40
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.02.2011 at 20:46

Aside from their career best "Coma Of Souls", this is my fave Kreator album. (though it is very close between this one and "Terrible Certainty" for my 2nd fave!) The intensity is very high, and has almost a death metal feel in places. It's a bit like the debut, just even more ferocious, and the songwriting quality is overall better and more consistent. Awesome stuff. xD

That's pretty much how I see the album myself.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.04.2011 - 16:48
FreddeSwede

Got 4 albums on vinyl from Kreator. Yeah I'm metal.
16.04.2011 - 09:30
Void_Eater
Account deleted
My only problem with this album is the drum production. They're to loud! Other than that, this album is about as good as thrash gets.
16.04.2011 - 17:09
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 16.04.2011 at 09:30

My only problem with this album is the drum production. They're to loud! Other than that, this album is about as good as thrash gets.

Funny, because loud drums are a thing I absolutely hate in metal and the drums never bothered me on PTK.
If you want to hear music with drums way too loud, on top of everything and drowning everything else, just listen to Powermetal. Damn I hate drums in Powermetal.
Drums on PTK are fine, imo.
----
26.04.2011 - 21:47
FreddeSwede

You should have a listen to Immortal's super-album "Pure Holocaust". There're some loud drums...
10.07.2011 - 17:50
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 16.04.2011 at 17:09

Funny, because loud drums are a thing I absolutely hate in metal and the drums never bothered me on PTK.
If you want to hear music with drums way too loud, on top of everything and drowning everything else, just listen to Powermetal. Damn I hate drums in Powermetal.
Drums on PTK are fine, imo.

They're fine, but the drummer uses a strange kind of annoying drum I never heard before. You could hear it in Rippin' Corpse and the beginning of The Pestilence.
10.08.2011 - 02:56
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I could not get into this album for some reason. Compared to Sodom's works (Also listening to at the time), it's kind of dull.
But that's my opinion.
15.08.2011 - 03:37
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.08.2011 at 02:56

I could not get into this album for some reason. Compared to Sodom's works (Also listening to at the time), it's kind of dull.
But that's my opinion.

I despised this the first time I heard it, but know I really like this brutal slab of thrash metal.
07.01.2012 - 17:04
RavenKing

Written by I Eat God on 07.01.2012 at 11:34

Agreeded ! this is not mature as Coma of Soul.
Kreator's true career started since Coma of Soul.
To me, their early works (before Coma of Soul) sound the same. Unskillful.

Started with "Coma Of Souls"? Are you aware that after "Coma Of Souls", Kreator released "Renewal", a stinking pile of shit?
After "Coma Of Souls", Kreator took a downward spiral and sucked for an entire decade.
----
07.01.2012 - 19:11
RavenKing

Written by I Eat God on 07.01.2012 at 18:30

Written by RavenKing on 07.01.2012 at 17:04

Written by I Eat God on 07.01.2012 at 11:34

Agreeded ! this is not mature as Coma of Soul.
Kreator's true career started since Coma of Soul.
To me, their early works (before Coma of Soul) sound the same. Unskillful.

Started with "Coma Of Souls"? Are you aware that after "Coma Of Souls", Kreator released "Renewal", a stinking pile of shit?
After "Coma Of Souls", Kreator took a downward spiral and sucked for an entire decade.

100 % True.
What I meant was Coma of Soul was at their peak....until Enemy of God they regained what they had lost.
To some Violent Revolution is a good album, to me it is a failure as they tried to mix Thrash with Scandinavian. Vocalist Mille was "out of breath" all the time....I was laughing when I was listening.....V.R is a No No Album to me......agreed ?
Those albums before Coma of Soul were very much "outdated" if you listen to it now....agree ?

I agree about "Coma Of Souls" being at their peak, even if I consider all the 80s albums as great.

I don't share your opinion about "Violent Revolution". Imo, it's a good album. Not as good as "Enemy Of God" but better than "Hordes Of Chaos".

As for the stuff before "Coma Of Souls" being outdated, I would not go that far but it obviously sounds old and primitive, especially "Endless Pain" and "Pleasure To Kill". They were very young at that time and it shows.
----
07.01.2012 - 19:46
RavenKing

Written by I Eat God on 07.01.2012 at 19:41

Let me guess....you have the album of Violent Revolution but do not have Hordes of Chaos ( I trust my six sense).
When HoC released I did not like it at all...I thought it was a junk, but some critics rated ok, so I bought it ...I listened to it 4-5 times, finally I realised it was a good album, Metal Storm 8.4, underrated this album. Kreator used a new technique to compose the songs, I have not figure out what was that since I was busy listening other albums now ....I will catch up with you on that.
I absolutely confident to say that the artistic value for HoC is higher than V.R.

I have both. In fact, I have all old Kreator albums (until "Coma Of Souls" included) + all their new albums since "Violent Revolution".
"Hordes Of Chaos" is not a bad album but vocals are not the best. Also, lyrics are poor (Kreator can do much better than that) and choruses repeating the same lines over and over are a bit dumb.
----
23.01.2012 - 03:57
musicalkaratekid

This record is an absolute monster-ripping riff after riff, petrozza's vocals forming a new meaning of 'raw' and those drums...its almost as if kreator created (Geddit?) Blastbeats. Fucking ace.
28.01.2012 - 19:43
musicalkaratekid

Written by I Eat God on 28.01.2012 at 18:52

Written by musicalkaratekid on 23.01.2012 at 03:57

This record is an absolute monster-ripping riff after riff, petrozza's vocals forming a new meaning of 'raw' and those drums...its almost as if kreator created (Geddit?) Blastbeats. Fucking ace.

Sorry....your post has been late for 20 years ! 20 years ago was innovative, today the album is considered OUTDATED. I hope you can keep the pace, not to be so "Nostalgia".

Just to remind you.....the meaning of "RAW" vocal of Petrozza, actually was due to the lousy studio's bad production. I hope you dont take it as a credit of the album.

By the way, Coma of Soul never grow old....a genuine classic !

My opinion still stands that 'Pleasure to Kill' is a fantastic album. Its called 'personal preference'. But yes, 'Coma of Souls' is infinitely better in terms of maturity.
28.01.2012 - 19:50
RavenKing

Written by musicalkaratekid on 23.01.2012 at 03:57

There's no blastbeat on "Pleasure To Kill". It's standard beats played very fast, just like old Slayer.

People often confuse very fast skank beats and blastbeats because both can sound almost the same but the technique used by the drummer is different.
----
01.03.2012 - 21:00
Korah

Pleasure To Ear
----
Don't cry for my English
04.03.2012 - 17:10
Zap
Written by I Eat God on 28.01.2012 at 18:52

today the album is considered OUTDATED.

By you
04.11.2012 - 22:06
megadeath13
Account deleted
An awesome Kreator Album, probably their most extreme. It needed a long time to realize the greatness of this album, but when you´re already into it, you cant get enough.
30.11.2012 - 11:08
Rating: 10
bblitz

Pleasure to kill is an amazing piece of thrash metal at its best,
so brutal,evil,excellent in every point of view.Highly highly recommended.
In four years it'll be the 30th anniversary of the album,I think Milland and the crew
should do something special,maybe digipak deluxe remastered or something and
live DVD performing album in its entirety like Slayer did with Still Reigning.
This piece of work deserves it all,how abaout that?!
22.12.2012 - 01:26
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Its probably one of first if not the first, truly 'brutal' albums.
27.08.2014 - 09:26
Kreator22

The Best Of Kreator
08.10.2014 - 14:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person in the world that thinks this sounds like a precursor to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas in many ways.
25.10.2014 - 22:38
Xenomorph1001

I'm listening this album right now and actually some of the riffs and song structures sound bit like De Mysteriis...
16.02.2015 - 21:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 08.10.2014 at 14:28

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person in the world that thinks this sounds like a precursor to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas in many ways.

It is indeed more inclined towards black and death metal than thrash. The vocals are very harsh and the production make it really dark and murky.

I don't know about De Mysteriis though I can really see how an early DM album like Scream Bloody Gore could've evolved from this as that is the album most similar sounding in my memory to this.
30.03.2015 - 15:56
me<3mertl

One of the best thrash album of all time.

Hits total: 24444 | This month: 69