08. My Pain
09. The Prolonging
10. Shatter [Japanese bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Tom Warrior and V. Santura.

Guest review by
vezzy
Rating:
Following the permanent disbandment of the cult Swiss metal act Celtic Frost in 2008, which came as a shock to many, Thomas Gabriel Fischer announced his formation of a new band named Triptykon. Two years later, we have their debut Eparistera Daimones.

The whole album is very atmospheric. Haunting melodies, dissonant and thick riffs coupled with dark ambience and interludes which create tension and a few intimidating, energetic solos to strengthen it all. Tom's raspy pseudo-demonic and angry voice fits well here, at times shifting into a vocal echo or coupled with a female voice. His vehement expression of rage can come out quite fierce at times (especially in "A Thousand Lies"), which also happens to be the fastest and most ruthless track on the album, consistently keeping its fast tempo, whereas the other songs generally tend to change their tempos. The drumming is a crucial point, as it balances the overall rhythm while being distinguished in its own right. Many genres can be identified here, from progressive and thrash to black and doom metal, even though the general sound lies in the latter two genres. The bass is murky but also muffled in the music's gloomy feeling. The guitars are the dominant part, as they control the pace and direction of the songs.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2010 | Comments (32)

This is the continuation of Celtic Frost. In the similar style of "Monotheist", this album is essentially Celtic Frost with a different rhythm section. Dark, gloomy, reflective, yet also at a slightly more exciting pace than Tom Warrior's last output. This is as heavy as they come. A top quality release from the mind behind the frontman of one of the most influential extreme metal bands in history.

Baz Anderson's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Thryce, Mr. Doctor

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 1099 users
23.03.2010 - 04:46
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is heavy as fuck
26.03.2010 - 16:35
Rating: 10
fosi

Great album!!!
26.03.2010 - 21:16
Baz Anderson

Wow. Amazing. So heavy, so good.
26.03.2010 - 22:30
Rating: 8
Don Martin
le fu-
Holy shit, I gotta get hold of this one. The guitars are tuned so low, I can feel them through my stomach.
----
What a tackastrophe!
28.03.2010 - 15:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just read about this being "Monotheist II", so I need to take a trip to my record store tomorrow! Must have!!!
----
29.03.2010 - 19:48
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't think I'd call it Monotheist II because Monotheist was near perfect and a second Monotheist would just be a pale worthless copy. It is similar to it though, although not as heavy, not as powerful. I don't want to think of it like a sequel either. Because this is rather mediocre and boring at times.
But it's so good to hear something from Warrior again. I still like it a lot, and will buy it. I am still looking forward to something better than this, and closer to Monotheist's perfection.
30.03.2010 - 14:32
Rating: 9
Mikyz

Honestly, I find this to be on par with Monotheist. Well, for one its harder to digest because its both heavy and lengthy (for me at least) and may need a couple of listens but it's worth it. So for me Warrior successfully followed up his previous opus. Definitely a contender in the end of the year lists.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
12.04.2010 - 03:57
@gent_-_orange

Written by Mikyz on 30.03.2010 at 14:32

Honestly, I find this to be on par with Monotheist. Well, for one its harder to digest because its both heavy and lengthy (for me at least) and may need a couple of listens but it's worth it. So for me Warrior successfully followed up his previous opus. Definitely a contender in the end of the year lists.

i agree its a great album, if you like monothiest you will love this
23.04.2010 - 12:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
What is amazing about monotheist is that it is SOOOO awesome that almost no one here has the "strength" nor the will to give This album a 10!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.04.2010 - 17:35
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Listened to this once last week, seems fairly pointless, like a tired and frustrating attempt at rehashing Monotheist.

Right from the start when Warrior screams "Satan, father" over fairly generic modern metal sounding riffs I knew that I was not going to like it.
25.05.2010 - 20:11
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Meh...give it a rest
26.05.2010 - 00:39
Lord_Regnier

I've always thought Thomas G Warrior was a godawful vocalist (to me, the guy sounds as if he's on the verge of crying or if he's about to fall asleep at times), so no thanks.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.06.2010 - 11:58
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Its a good album, liked it. G Warrior is Celtic Frost himself hehe
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
19.06.2010 - 05:56
Winterthrone

Written by Guest on 25.05.2010 at 20:11

Meh...give it a rest

WTF? This is the one of the most intense album I ever listened to! This cd is purely awesome...diversity, heaviness, inventive stuff! A pure 10!
15.09.2011 - 10:54
elekctric

Old news now but this album had to be bought. Being a Celtic Frost fan having all but the Cold Lake album ... which i still should check out now that the shock is over... yeah my vote is inconsequential but biased lol.... The album was so good I doubled it up on my Ipod ... how does that work .
16.06.2012 - 10:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Gothic death metal?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.09.2012 - 19:42
Nightfall

Written by M C Vice on 16.06.2012 at 10:25

Gothic death metal?

Early Tiamat.
03.01.2013 - 00:23
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
The last two songs "My Pain" and "The Prolonging" go perfectly together! I l also love songs like "Myopic Empire" and "Descendant". This is such an awesome album, I really want to get their next album (if ever they make one).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
04.01.2013 - 08:37
This is a 10. Nothing less of perfect. This is Monotheist fully realized.
29.04.2013 - 09:17
Lião
Account deleted
I agree with the above comment about the last two tracks. The only problem I have with it is that its too damn long.
27.07.2013 - 18:59
AtrumHiberna

Never listen to this album just after you listen to Monotheist; it sounds much inferior. But on its own, it is a great album. Worthy of Warrior's legacy
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
02.04.2014 - 10:52
Rating: 2
Dr. Strawberry

Those who loves this album must be geniuses !
02.04.2014 - 18:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 02.04.2014 at 10:52

Why, thank you.
:sarcasmcheckfailed:
20.04.2014 - 20:31
boo-boo

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 02.04.2014 at 10:52

What a useful comment.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
22.06.2014 - 23:31
Lit.
Account deleted
Official or not, this is probably the most beautiful/creepy/subtle/horrifying/eye-pleasing/awesome music videos I've seen in a long time, and I feel intelligent for recognizing a lot of the paintings shown.

23.06.2014 - 00:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 22.06.2014 at 23:31

Official or not, this is probably the most beautiful/creepy/subtle/horrifying/eye-pleasing/awesome music videos I've seen in a long time, and I feel intelligent for recognizing a lot of the paintings shown.

That was beautiful, man... Quite a mesmerizing video plus I always loved that track. Thanks!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.06.2014 - 02:53
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.06.2014 at 00:17

Written by Guest on 22.06.2014 at 23:31

That was beautiful, man... Quite a mesmerizing video plus I always loved that track. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it.
07.12.2014 - 20:55
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Luv ya Vanja <3

17.04.2017 - 03:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 28.03.2010 at 15:38

I just read about this being "Monotheist II", so I need to take a trip to my record store tomorrow! Must have!!!

I would never call this Monotheist II, they are actually somewhat different albums, but if this album was Monotheist II, I probably wouldn't like it, seeing as it would just be a rip-off.
06.11.2017 - 03:34
Drippy.Hippie

Awesome record and heavy as fuck too!!

"My Pain" is an awesomely unexpected slow track, so beautiful.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.

Hits total: 19710 | This month: 35