03. Paint It Black [Rolling Stones cover] [7" B-Side]
04. On Your Knees [live]
05. Hellion [live]

Top 20 albums of 1984: 8
Featured in "Getting Into: W.A.S.P."

Guest review by
Doc G.
Rating:
When using the phrase "humble beginnings", people were obviously not referring to W.A.S.P., as this album is often referred to as the band at their best.

The term 'Glam Metal' is most suited towards a band like W.A.S.P. Unlike many of the so called 'Glam Metal' bands of the 80's, W.A.S.P. were actually Glam but still kept a Heavy Metal sound. Most people own the newest version of the album, including the previously banned track 'Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)', an obviously raunchy track that is said to be the cause of Tipper Gores starting up the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center). The original version of the album on the other hand kicks off with the track 'I Wanna Be Somebody', with a quick snare roll the song breaks in with barely the presence of an intro, immediately pulling you into one hell of an energetic metal anthem. Not a bad way to kick off a career. With little chance to catch your breath thundering drums kick in for a slightly darker, more sinister sounding song entitled 'L.O.V.E. Machine' (watch the music video to fully get the dark sinister feeling behind this song). The energy only slows down once, with a very emotionally intense ballad: 'Sleeping In The Fire'. Normally I'm not a fan of ballads, but Blackie has got such a great range the feeling of this song comes through with incredible power.

Read more ››
published 01.07.2007 | Comments (7)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 816 users
21.03.2010 - 22:20
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
This is an awesome W.A.S.P. album my favorite by them
22.03.2010 - 02:16
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This album is just stopped from being a total classic, by 2 or 3 mundane tracks round about the half way point. The first three songs are classic though, and songs like ''Hellion'' and ''The Torture Never Stops" were far more menacing than anything fellow glam bands were putting out. Not quite as classic or as consistent as some of their later albums, but it's definitely a mostly great debut.
26.05.2010 - 19:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I fucking love how, so far, the only band that can write lyrics on almost every subject without them sounding cheesy at all, perfect example being the BRILLIANT first two tracks. also, instrumentation is absolutely brilliant, glorious 80s metal.
04.03.2012 - 22:19
Korah

Savage album!
----
Don't cry for my English
13.04.2012 - 02:17
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Such a great album to kickstart the career of one of the best heavy metal bands ever, the band's self-titled debut starts off aggressively and disturbingly enough with 'Animal...' and never lets up for the next 40 odd minutes with its power and metallic madness. 'Sleeping in the fire' offers melody, but even then it gives you the feeling that it will explode at some point, and sure enough it does, with one of the album's highlighted solos. Definitely my favourite WASP album, if only because it shows them as a promising young band that wouldn't stop being successful to this day.
01.08.2012 - 05:22
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
The rolling stones cover wasn't good
17.12.2012 - 07:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.08.2012 at 05:22

Are you kidding? Blackie's voice just kills it on that song, and that solo is sweet.
18.12.2012 - 19:08
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.12.2012 at 07:49

Are you kidding? Blackie's voice just kills it on that song, and that solo is sweet.

The solo can be good, but his voice just kills the rest of the song.
04.01.2013 - 23:10
Rating: 6
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

better how orgininal version
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2013 - 16:27
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2013 at 23:10

Hm... the original version of the song is godz, perhaps my fav RS song.
06.01.2013 - 18:15
JohnDoe
Account deleted

better THAN the original you say? ROFLMAO
06.01.2013 - 18:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 06.01.2013 at 16:27

Hm... the original version of the song is godz, perhaps my fav RS song.

yes it is good but still I prefere WASP its underated, never have been so much on media
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2013 - 18:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 06.01.2013 at 18:15

its liytheral translation from latvian to english, seems I have this mistace and will have rest of my life
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2013 - 18:35
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its liytheral translation from latvian to english, seems I have this mistace and will have rest of my life

I was also saying that stating that the WASP cover is better than the original was just laughable.
25.02.2013 - 21:45
Mountain King
K i K o
Sleeping In The Fire is the great song, other than that the album is average. The Last Command and Headless Children kick ass...
27.02.2013 - 00:47
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 22.03.2010 at 02:16

songs like ''Hellion'' and ''The Torture Never Stops" were far more menacing than anything fellow glam bands were putting out.

That's why I don't label WASP as glam. Several of their songs are more menacing, heavier, more aggressive than anything glam bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, etc ever pulled out. WASP had the glam look in the 80s but their music was more metal than any glam band. To tell it true, I don't consider any glam band as metal but I would label WASP as metal.
Also, I dislike glam as a whole, while I like many WASP songs.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
02.04.2013 - 22:51
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
Fantastic debut album, probably their best one. Every song is a hit, especially "I Wanna Be Somebody and "On Your Knees".
02.04.2013 - 23:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.02.2013 at 00:47
That's why I don't label WASP as glam. Several of their songs are more menacing, heavier, more aggressive than anything glam bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, etc ever pulled out. WASP had the glam look in the 80s but their music was more metal than any glam band. To tell it true, I don't consider any glam band as metal but I would label WASP as metal.

Although WASP were lumped in with all the other bands in the LA glam scene of the 80's, they were always an anamoly within that scene. Their look, combined with the fact that some of their songs were more in a hard rock vein, ensured that they were slapped with the "glam" label. However, some of their music was also clearly metal, and much harsher than the other glam bands within the scene. To me, WASP were always a metal band with glam elements, as opposed to being the other way around. Although "Inside The Electric Circus" is to all intents and purposes, a glam album (and incidentally, easily the worst of their 80's albums). It is also true, that none of the glam bands were actually metal at all, whilst WASP most definitely were. So whilst W.A.S.P. were labelled as an LA glam band at the time, I think that classification was misleading, and mostly a falsehood.
03.04.2013 - 01:04
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.04.2013 at 23:50

Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.02.2013 at 00:47

Although WASP were lumped in with all the other bands in the LA glam scene of the 80's, they were always an anamoly within that scene. Their look, combined with the fact that some of their songs were more in a hard rock vein, ensured that they were slapped with the "glam" label. However, some of their music was also clearly metal, and much harsher than the other glam bands within the scene. To me, WASP were always a metal band with glam elements, as opposed to being the other way around. Although "Inside The Electric Circus" is to all intents and purposes, a glam album (and incidentally, easily the worst of their 80's albums). It is also true, that none of the glam bands were actually metal at all, whilst WASP most definitely were. So whilst W.A.S.P. were labelled as an LA glam band at the time, I think that classification was misleading, and mostly a falsehood.

All I can say is I agree on everything.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.04.2013 - 00:47
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Gotta love animal.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.05.2014 - 15:20
Rating: 10
lord artan

I Wanna Be Somebody is awesome....
23.04.2015 - 17:35
indexqwest

Absolutelly, W.A.S.P.'s best album
23.04.2015 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 25.03.2014 at 05:26

Superb album indeed.

And Animal is a great song.

How could you not love these lyrics:

"I got pictures of naked ladies
Lying on their beds
I whiff that smell and sweet convulsion
Starts a-Swelling inside my head
I'm making artificial lovers for free "

Sleaze at it's very best!

and dumb fuck don't play this song live because are born again Christian
----

apos;'
[image]
31.12.2017 - 18:50
Mountain King
K i K o
Average.
06.07.2019 - 17:30
Flawless debut
13.12.2019 - 17:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Arguably the best hair metal album ever?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.02.2021 - 01:03
Rating: 7
Metal Rasputin

It's good, but I still find it relatively overrated for a WASP album. This debut has at least 4 killer songs (Animal, Sleeping in the Fire, Love Machine, I wanna be somebody), but the rest is more or less average or filler, Blackie hadn't yet honed his skills to the absolute perfection here. Compare this to likes of Headless Children and Crimson Idol which are 100% bangers, and then there's like Dominator, Dying For The World and even Unholy Terror that beat this one any day.

Oh yeah, and not every version has Animal, so that's one killer less for some unlucky ones (me).
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
17.05.2021 - 19:30
majormalfunction

I think I enjoy it more now than back in my teen years, not everything is gold but the second part of the album is pretty damn good.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
01.06.2021 - 17:07
Redel

I'll have this over Crimson Idol any day.
Rivals Headless Children for best WASP album.
04.06.2021 - 15:00
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Animal, I wanna be somebody, Hellion and Love Machine are some real classic glam Metal songs, the rest of the album was pretty decent too, tbh most of what WASP did around that time was decent.

They took glam to a whole new level with this album, making Mötley Crüe and Kiss sound like little school boys.

Hits total: 17663 | This month: 48