05. Lust And Innocence
06. Bloodia (A Raven In The Night)
07. L.O.V.E. (Legacy Of Virgin Eve)
08. Sharper Than The Blade
09. Gomorrah Eyes Of Wrath
10. Shadow My Secret Soul
11. The Wells Of My Heart
12. Nightfall Serenade

Catafalque of Turkey have undoubtedly created a phenomenal atmosphere of magic; a solid gothic atmospheric metal album christened Unique. In fact, is it justified to say that Catafalque have touched what Theatre Of Tragedy lacked? Is Aegis really that much more essential than Unique? Or, was Theatre Of Tragedy to be reborn in southern Europe? Nevertheless, Unique is a classic.

The first thing that mustn't be overlooked is the album artwork. [album]Unique[/album]'s artwork is phenomenal. No dark gory vampires, and no nude suicidal chicks; just solid art. In a way, the beauty of this artwork shows how much legacy Unique genuinely demonstrates. Truthfully, the album artwork is also a reflection of the musical concept.

One thing that makes Unique quite a solid album is balance. The vocals, the atmosphere, the aggression, and essentially: the mood. One thing that quite a lot of so-called gothic metal albums lack, that ironically is a quintessential criterion in gothic music, is the mood. That particular mood, and those particular emotions, Unique provides spectacularly.

The vocals play a large role in balancing the album and casting the mood. Metehan intelligently directs a dynamic between his dark beastly growls with his clean masculine hymns. Özge on the other hand also balances this dynamic with her sweet and innocent voice. Frankly, when a listener is in the right state of mind, Özge sings exactly as if she was an angel...let me tell you the truth of it all...you got a place near me..I have the rage and lust in my eyes...even you die.

Part of the genuine gothic element is the album concept. The concept on Unique is what many so-called gothic metal albums lack. It has nothing to do with vampiric rituals, operatic concertos, or spotlighting females in scanty clothes. The album concept is based on emotions, inner reflections, and high quality artistic lyrics. In fact, Unique fully meets the conceptual expectations of gothic metal.

Another element that strongly adheres to the christened title is the fusion of atmospheric metal, with the authentic gothic elements. Particular tracks that are quite atmospheric are "Hallowed Lands," "Archangel's Touch," "Lust and Innocence," and "Sharper than the Blade." The authentic gothic elements are conspicuous on the tracks "L.O.V.E.," "Dreamweaver," "The Soothsayer," "Nightfall Serenade," and above all "Shadow My Secret Soul." At the same time, every track plays a large role in making the album unique.

What also is extremely beyond magnificence is, Catafalque, coming from a part of Europe where art is so thoroughly and beautifully implanted within the culture, it's as Unique is a reflection of Catafalque's beautiful souls; rather than merely a respectable album. Unique is especially to be enjoyed on a beautiful evening after Lokum and Kahve, an authentic Turkish delight.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Account deleted | 22.03.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 87 users
22.03.2010 - 13:25
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
This review is so poorly written I can't even make heads or tails of it.
----
(space for rent)
22.03.2010 - 16:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
First of all, who proofread this review? What about all the [album][/album] tags?

And the second thing is that this review sounds exactly like the guest review section of Thryce's review of Aealo. Just read it.

I don't know... maybe too much text and very little content?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.03.2010 - 17:46
ravendeath
Come on ?!? The review is... I don't have the worlds. And 9 is overrated for this album, maybe 6 or 7.
22.03.2010 - 18:46
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
I don't find the review particularly poorly written, because I understand the point of the review. It wants to align this album with a certain order of gothic metal and away from the clichés that too many bands cheapen themselves with. It also discusses the mood of the album.

Really, the point of a positive review is to get people to check out some samples of the album, which is what I did, oddly not realizing that I'd just come across the vocalist's solo EP recently and didn't realize it was her band I was about to listen to!

I do have different opinions on this album and the comparisons the review makes (I think it's more like Norway's Mortal Love than Theatre Of Tragedy's Aegis), but I think the enthusiasm is clear. I'd like more details about the album's music and less about its concept and purpose, but hey, I checked out the disc, and think, initially, it's a very good disc.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.03.2010 - 00:49
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 22.03.2010 at 13:25

the review is written perfectly, you just can't tell your head from your christian ass. And if it so doesn't make sence to you, WHY DID YOU POST? Trying to spark another controversy? If so, get THE FUCK OUT (meaning don't post in my threads any longer).
23.03.2010 - 00:58
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 22.03.2010 at 18:46

I don't find the review particularly poorly written, because I understand the point of the review. It wants to align this album with a certain order of gothic metal and away from the clichés that too many bands cheapen themselves with. It also discusses the mood of the album.

Really, the point of a positive review is to get people to check out some samples of the album, which is what I did, oddly not realizing that I'd just come across the vocalist's solo EP recently and didn't realize it was her band I was about to listen to!

I do have different opinions on this album and the comparisons the review makes (I think it's more like Norway's Mortal Love than Theatre Of Tragedy's Aegis), but I think the enthusiasm is clear. I'd like more details about the album's music and less about its concept and purpose, but hey, I checked out the disc, and think, initially, it's a very good disc.

this section:

One thing that makes Unique quite a solid album is balance. The vocals, the atmosphere, the aggression, and essentially: the mood. One thing that quite a lot of so-called gothic metal albums lack, that ironically is a quintessential criterion in gothic music, is the mood. That particular mood, and those particular emotions, Unique provides spectacularly.

The vocals play a large role in balancing the album and casting the mood. Metehan intelligently directs a dynamic between his dark beastly growls with his clean masculine hymns. Özge on the other hand also balances this dynamic with her sweet and innocent voice. Frankly, when a listener is in the right state of mind, Özge sings exactly as if she was an angel...let me tell you the truth of it all...you got a place near me..I have the rage and lust in my eyes...even you die.

Part of the genuine gothic element is the album concept. The concept on Unique is what many so-called gothic metal albums lack. It has nothing to do with vampiric rituals, operatic concertos, or spotlighting females in scanty clothes. The album concept is based on emotions, inner reflections, and high quality artistic lyrics. In fact, Unique fully meets the conceptual expectations of gothic metal.

Another element that strongly adheres to the christened title is the fusion of atmospheric metal, with the authentic gothic elements. Particular tracks that are quite atmospheric are "Hallowed Lands," "Archangel's Touch," "Lust and Innocence," and "Sharper than the Blade." The authentic gothic elements are conspicuous on the tracks "L.O.V.E.," "Dreamweaver," "The Soothsayer," "Nightfall Serenade," and above all "Shadow My Secret Soul." At the same time, every track plays a large role in making the album unique.

really describes the album well I think. Then again, no review really describes an album as much as your ears. I've read some reviews that I thought were out of whak but when I heard the albums they were good. Never let reviews or other critics influence your perspective on albums, listen and judge for yourself.
My point about the theatreOT comparicent is (being a fan of the two bands) Theatre always lacked something, right from their first album. Everytime you hear an album, there is something missing. One little element, one little note, or something. Unique on the other hand totaly doesn't lack anything. Musically it's closest to Aegis out of all of Theatre's releases, therefore I comapred it to that one particularly. Aegis is such a great album, but like I said, there is something missing.
23.03.2010 - 01:01
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted

the point of the review. It wants to align this album with a certain order of gothic metal and away from the clichés that too many bands cheapen themselves with. It also discusses the mood of the album.

congradulations, you've comprehended very well. That, and also I do describe it's unique elements that I want lisetners to realize. Like I said earlier, there are these elements that are lacked by many so-called gothic bands, including Theatre of Tragedy (albeit i love them, i really don't understand why theatre is such a big name in this genre).

Also, this review is quite positive. Basically I am saying to people "put aside your "musique", "nymphetamine", and nightwish CDs, and for once hear TRUE gothic metal elements."

Another album that I find similar to Unique is at sixes and sevens by sirenia, and ofcourse aegis by ToT, and above all of that, gothic by paradise lost.
23.03.2010 - 01:17
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 22.03.2010 at 16:05

First of all, who proofread this review? What about all the [album][/album] tags?

And the second thing is that this review sounds exactly like the guest review section of Thryce's review of Aealo. Just read it.

I don't know... maybe too much text and very little content?

um...are you sure you linked the REVIEW right? Two distinctive things.
And no i think there is tones of content in this review

the album thing is an error from me and the editor, your critisizm for it is unnecessary & uncalled for.
23.03.2010 - 01:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Guest on 23.03.2010 at 01:01

the point of the review. It wants to align this album with a certain order of gothic metal and away from the clichés that too many bands cheapen themselves with. It also discusses the mood of the album.

congradulations, you've comprehended very well. That, and also I do describe it's unique elements that I want lisetners to realize. Like I said earlier, there are these elements that are lacked by many so-called gothic bands, including Theatre of Tragedy (albeit i love them, i really don't understand why theatre is such a big name in this genre).

Well, I don't think this is the place to debate the value of Theatre Of Tragedy, but more to focus on the album at hand here. I still don't like the comparison of the two bands as I find them dissimilar, especially in guitarwork, but if you hear something, then okay I think in a broader sense we see the scene from very divergent angles, but perhaps have equal enthusiasm for a lot of bands, so I'd prefer to leave it at that.

So, speaking of Catafalque, it's good to see a review for a band more unknown but with high quality. Not sure when I'll pick this full-length up, but I'm ordering Ozge Ozkan's solo EP very soon.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.03.2010 - 01:26
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 23.03.2010 at 01:20

Written by Guest on 23.03.2010 at 01:01

Well, I don't think this is the place to debate the value of Theatre Of Tragedy, but more to focus on the album at hand here. I still don't like the comparison of the two bands as I find them dissimilar, especially in guitarwork, but if you hear something, then okay I think in a broader sense we see the scene from very divergent angles, but perhaps have equal enthusiasm for a lot of bands, so I'd prefer to leave it at that.

So, speaking of Catafalque, it's good to see a review for a band more unknown but with high quality. Not sure when I'll pick this full-length up, but I'm ordering Ozge Ozkan's solo EP very soon.

You're abseloutly right about theatre, i put that in as food for thought. There are tones of bands that are over-rated at many times. You're right on that, but I do see some similarities between them. Especially with Dialectique.
And yes, that's only a positive thing.

I love that EP, my favourite song is my cold one.

Have you heard Dialectique? Different concept but VERY good.
23.03.2010 - 01:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 23.03.2010 at 00:49

the review is written perfectly, you just can't tell your head from your christian ass. And if it so doesn't make sence to you, WHY DID YOU POST? Trying to spark another controversy? If so, get THE FUCK OUT (meaning don't post in my threads any longer).

You should try a less hostile approach, it will help you not come across as a complete douche - you might even get a few helpful pointers to make future reviews better. You've only written 6 reviews so far, sorry to say but you're no Lester Bangs yet. Don't shit yourself over a couple negative comments.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.03.2010 - 01:44
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 23.03.2010 at 01:41

You should try a less hostile approach, it will help you not come across as a complete douche - you might even get a few helpful pointers to make future reviews better. You've only written 6 reviews so far, sorry to say but you're no Lester Bangs yet. Don't shit yourself over a couple negative comments.

QUIT stirring the pot. That's between me and him, don't get involved. I can use whatever approach I fancy.
Also if you have nothing to say about the review then post NOTHING. Does that make any sence to you, douchebag?
23.03.2010 - 01:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 23.03.2010 at 01:44

Written by Doc G. on 23.03.2010 at 01:41

QUIT stirring the pot. That's between me and him, don't get involved. I can use whatever approach I fancy.
Also if you have nothing to say about the review then post NOTHING. Does that make any sence to you, douchebag?

Well, the sentence itself made sense, but I'm still confused as to why you're taking such offence by a negative comment about a dry, dull, sterile review.

And as much as I hate to pull the seniority card here, keep in mind it's 2 elite members who have been on the site & contributing for nearly 5 & 6 years, versus your 8 months of writing sub-par reviews. No, that's not a threat of any kind, but just a heads up that such conflict will not end in your favour.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.03.2010 - 02:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Any poster on MS can get involved with whatever they want...you want to know why? Freedom of speech...if you have a problem with freedom of speech then leave Metalstorm and don't ever come back here...

The review is great...it just needs to be slightly edited...I'm not Dane, but I can make heads and tails of it...it said everything that needed to be said...

Not everyone can write flawlessly...who cares if people can't? The important thing is that you wrote a review and got your ideas out there to the world... Vikingocalypse isn't at fault here in my opinion...
23.03.2010 - 05:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 23.03.2010 at 02:05

Not everyone can write flawlessly...who cares if people can't? The important thing is that you wrote a review and got your ideas out there to the world... Vikingocalypse isn't at fault here in my opinion...

sure he isn't. screaming GET THE FUCK OUT at people who disagree with a review is something i do regularly, it's all civil behavior.

he got his review up, people have a right to comment on it, for good or for ill.

if he's so quick to flip out should someone disagree, maybe he is too thin-skinned to be reviewing in the first place.

edit - and in closing, "GET THE FUCK OUT" is not an acceptable response to criticism.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.03.2010 - 22:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I mentioned the [album][/album] thing because when I read a review, I want it to be clean, but even now there is still one of them left. And as far as stuff that is uncalled for is your reference to Dane's beliefs. What does it have to do with anything? This is a personal insult and just totally unacceptable.

Well, maybe the review is not really bad for a gothic album, but it just seems to lack some real music description.

Anyways, dude, don't react like that. It's just stupid.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.03.2010 - 16:40
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite

Was that really called for
----
(space for rent)
17.08.2020 - 14:18
HyperDrifter
Review argument above aside, I really enjoyed this album - it's full of atmosphere and ticks all the boxes I really love about Gothic Metal.

Hits total: 4361 | This month: 9