Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest

Original post

Posted by Demonizer, 17.05.2006 - 17:11
ha! now I've got the opportunity to open a thread for my fav band, I'll certainly take it!!

So who else is curious about the new album?? apparantly the band is hoping to start their next tour in early 2007
13.10.2009 - 17:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.10.2009 at 20:44

Written by Hermann Langke on 12.10.2009 at 19:02

so which is your fav. judas priest album?.

Sad Wings of Destiny is probably my favorite album by Priest. I love their pre-British Steel era stuff. Defenders of the Faith runs a close second though.

mine is jugulator.
13.10.2009 - 20:05
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Hermann Langke on 13.10.2009 at 17:45

Sad Wings of Destiny is probably my favorite album by Priest. I love their pre-British Steel era stuff. Defenders of the Faith runs a close second though.

mine is jugulator.

Wow. A Ripper Owens album? I didn't know anybody really liked those ones.
13.10.2009 - 20:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.10.2009 at 20:05

mine is jugulator.

Jugulator is a great album, it's the one after that that isn't too good at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 21:19
Hellish Star

Jugulator is the darkest Priest album ever and I really adore this one. IMO It should be released under another band name but nevertheless it is an outstanding album!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.10.2009 - 08:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Hellish Star on 13.10.2009 at 21:19

Jugulator is the darkest Priest album ever...

With titles like 'Decapitate,' 'bullet train,' and 'dead meat' I think that much becomes appearent lol. But yeah, pretty sick album.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.10.2009 - 15:57
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.10.2009 at 20:05

mine is jugulator.

come on buddy thats kick-ass:banger2:
18.10.2009 - 06:02
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Damn how old is this thread? anyways, stained class defined metal
22.10.2009 - 22:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Anybody of you have herad Al Atkins solo albums whit such name band
He was in JP nefoe Rob's joun ina nd wrote some somgs to, anybody have herad those, I wanna know how's he like ?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.10.2009 - 22:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 22.10.2009 at 22:18

He was in JP nefoe Rob's joun ina nd wrote some somgs to, anybody have herad those, I wanna know how's he like ?

search on youtube, "al atkins victim of changes" or something, that guy annoys me, it's absolutely clear he's jealous of Priest's success.
25.10.2009 - 00:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 24.10.2009 at 22:50

search on youtube, "al atkins victim of changes" or something, that guy annoys me, it's absolutely clear he's jealous of Priest's success.

Well he started at late 80's Priest glory days best way show jelusy
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2009 - 00:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 24.10.2009 at 22:50

http://www.myspace.com/alatkinsholyrage

I listened him, well he isnt bad, but if its be JP all time vocals, they never would reach glory, its same like Iron maiden whit Paul, his solo albums is good, but I reealy doubt he whit JP ever recah top of metal mountain , this muisc sounds like he wanna recah something but sometimes he cantr its like created because you need album full whit music not because you got good inspiration
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2009 - 09:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ugh Jugulator is one of the worst Judas Priest albums - it's just heavy for the sake of being heavy and the songs don't ever go anywhere. The vocals are great but they really stripped down the instrumentation and just made things dumb. It was great that they revived themselves with Angel of Retribution, but sadly released Nostradamus, probably their very worst. Yeah Jugulator is dark, but it sucks.
09.11.2009 - 21:48
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Dangerboner on 09.11.2009 at 09:25

but sadly released Nostradamus, probably their very worst.

It's close, but I think Ram It Down takes the cake for their worst. :x
10.11.2009 - 06:16
Derwood

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 09.11.2009 at 21:48

Written by Dangerboner on 09.11.2009 at 09:25

but sadly released Nostradamus, probably their very worst.

It's close, but I think Ram It Down takes the cake for their worst. :x

No, Turbo is by faaaaaarrrrrrr their worst. Ram It Down is a bloody classic next to that pop-fest.

I still don't get the hate for Nostradamus. I keep wondering if I got an alternate version or something because I love it.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
10.11.2009 - 06:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You guys are ridiculous! xD Sure, overall Turbo and Ram it Down aren't their best, but they still have good songs. Wild Nights, Hot and Crazy Days is reason enough to buy Turbo, while Nostradamus only has one or two good songs... and it's two discs! Ram it Down has Heavy Metal, Ram it Down, Blood Red Skies, and probably at least one or two other really good songs, but unfortunately it ends kinda lame (I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't like the cover of Johnny B Good or w/e). But regardless, those songs alone make those two albums better than Nostradamus. Oh shit I have to write a report. Shouldn't have gotten drunk

One album that I really don't get the hate over is Point of Entry. Sure, it's definitely not in their top 5, but it blows away the preceeding British Steel. It has Desert Plains, which is probably in my top 5 favorite JP songs ever. Maybe it's just good driving music, which is most likely the only times I've played it, but I think it's way better than Jugulator, Demolition, British Steel, and Nostradamus. Damn I sure could explain myself better if I brought my good CD case to work with me tonight :/

@Joose
10.11.2009 - 07:00
Derwood

"Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days" sounds like a bloody AC/DC cover. And even if something as awesome as "Painkiller" or "Victim of Changes" was on Turbo, it wouldn't make up for utter garbage like "Turbo Lover" and "Parental Guidance."

I have to place Point of Entry as their next weakest, and British Steel pretty close to it. I don't count the Ripper albums as real Judas Priest albums personally.

If you listen to Nostradamus for songs, yeah, you're going to be disappointed, but as an album, a complete work, I find it absolutely enthralling. When I listen to it, it's always as a whole album. The only other JP album I do that with is Sad Wings of Destiny.
----
11.11.2009 - 22:50
Fat & Sassy!

I'm your Turbo Llllllloveeerrrr! Tell me there's no oooootheeeerrrr! >:[

How can you guys not love the cheesiness of that song?! :O
11.11.2009 - 23:13
Derwood

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.11.2009 at 22:50

I'm your Turbo Llllllloveeerrrr! Tell me there's no oooootheeeerrrr! >:[

How can you guys not love the cheesiness of that song?! :O

There is good cheese and there is bad cheese.

I'm not averse to the occasional slice of aged cheddar. "Nightcrawler" and "The Sentinel" are two of my favourite JP songs.

The problem with Turbo is that it's a fetid lump of Limburger. Forty-odd year old men playing songs with lyrics like "Put on my jacket before you get too old..." is just a little too ridiculous. It could have been a friggin' Manowar album it's so bloody bad. The lyrics, the production, the riffs, the guitar synths - everything about it is just bad. It's a pop album.

To follow up back to back classics like Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith with that was bordering on unforgivable. These guys were my metal gods at the ripe old age of 15 when they unleashed the biggest musical letdown ever.

23 years later, I'm still bitter about it.
----
11.11.2009 - 23:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Derwood on 10.11.2009 at 07:00

"Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days" sounds like a bloody AC/DC cover. And even if something as awesome as "Painkiller" or "Victim of Changes" was on Turbo, it wouldn't make up for utter garbage like "Turbo Lover" and "Parental Guidance."

we don't need no, no, no, no parental guidance here!

to be honest the ONLY Priest album i find slightly boring aside from the obvious picks Demolition and Rocka Rolla is probably Point Of Entry(i didn't even listen to it all, did i miss anything? )... also, imo their most underrated album is Ram It Down, which is an absolute beast, the main riff of Hard As Iron is a fucking epic monster, and I'm A Rocker is imo their least cheesy anthem-song, Blood Red Skies is epic shit and of course the 2 opening tracks are winners(though i do admit Glenn and KK kinda exaggerated with the solo's on those 2 songs). pretty much WASP-like epic 80s metal, only it's far better than any WASP album, and of course Priest was one of WASP's main influences.

Jugulator on the other hand is a BEAST, and the live album released after that is a fucking monster, Priest going insane as fuck. i love how Rapid Fire sounds on that thing, especially the lead break, it's so brutal and fast it's incredible, everything is cranked up, tuned down, sped up and layered with vicious scream after vicious scream.
what i like about Ripper-era Priest is that even though they generally set the direction of modern heavy metal with Painkiller, few bands followed the trend, and only after Priest showed a far more definite direction with Jugulator do the modern power metal bands start showing up.
12.11.2009 - 00:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
What can I say? Priest are my all time fave band!

"Rocka Rolla" is the only album by Priest I find to be a bit boring. Although I love the title track! It's amazing the huge leap between the debut, and "Sad Wings Of Destiny". Which is one of metal's defining albums, as well as one of Priest's! I know a lot of people hate "Turbo", but I find much to enjoy on that album. Apart from "Private Property", "Parental Guidance", and "Wild Nights..." which are just far too silly for their own good!

"Point Of Entry" is one of their weakest albums, though "Heading Out To The Highway", "Hot Rockin'", and especially "Desert Plains" are total classics! I also have a soft spot for "You Say Yes". As for the Ripper-era albums...well, I think they are both really underappreciated albums, though I remember being floored by the brutality of "Jugulator" when I first heard it, as it was far heavier than anything Priest had done before. The first song I heard from that album was "Bullet Train" on a Metal Hammer compilation cd before the album's release, and I was blown away. I actually class this as one of Priest's classic songs, the build up is tense, the chorus pounding, the lead trade off between K.K. and Glenn is scorching, and the finale with Ripper screaming over charging guitars and drums is just awesome! I actually find both Ripper albums to be better than "Nostradamus", which I found to be overlong, and a bit too ambitious for it's own good. Although it does have some great songs on it.

"Defenders Of The Faith" would be a contender for my fave Priest album, were it not for the stupid "Heavy Duty" at the end of the album... "Sad Wings..." "Stained Class" and "Painkiller" are my fave Priest albums. Coincidentally, "Painkiller" was the first Priest album I heard, and must be one of the most imitated albums of all time, especially by some power metal bands that came after it!
12.11.2009 - 02:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmmm why is it only people that didn't hear Ram It Down and Turbo Lover at the time they were released think those albums are any good?
Anybody that grew up with JP think thos etwo are totally bad, telling, isn't it? Yep, cause the young ones usually tend to be some sort of revisionists when it comes to ol;d albums oftheir fav bands they didn't grow up with.
Even though Point Of Entry is quite bad it is vastly superior to both RiD and TL.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2009 - 03:40
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2009 at 02:26

Mmmm why is it only people that didn't hear Ram It Down and Turbo Lover at the time they were released think those albums are any good?
Anybody that grew up with JP think thos etwo are totally bad, telling, isn't it? Yep, cause the young ones usually tend to be some sort of revisionists when it comes to ol;d albums oftheir fav bands they didn't grow up with.
Even though Point Of Entry is quite bad it is vastly superior to both RiD and TL.

I'd disagree. Well perhaps only because Turbo was my gateway to them. And I listen to that album more often than to British Steel, Defenders of Faith and Screaming for Vengeance individually (combined they get more spins) as it sounds like nothing else, except perhaps for ZZ Top's Eliminator. Besides there are worse things in Judas Priests catalogue, Painkiller (that's right), Point of Entry, their post-Ripper stuff and the debut come to mind.
12.11.2009 - 03:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 12.11.2009 at 03:40

I'd disagree. Well perhaps only because Turbo was my gateway to them. And I listen to that album more often than to British Steel, Defenders of Faith and Screaming for Vengeance individually (combined they get more spins) as it sounds like nothing else, except perhaps for ZZ Top's Eliminator. Besides there are worse things in Judas Priests catalogue, Painkiller (that's right), Point of Entry, their post-Ripper stuff and the debut come to mind.

But you're not my age and dind't get into metal in the mid to late 70s right?

But I fully disagree there worse things in JP's disocgraphy than Trubo although Nostradamus does come damn close I must agree. And the debut still kicks Turbo's ass all over the place. As does Painkiller, althoug that is one of their worst as well tbh.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2009 - 09:01
IronBlackZepp

Judas Priest is one of the few metal bands (mabey the only metal band) that has been able to influence metal in a different way for 3 decades in a row(the 70's, 80's, and 90's). Plus some of the stuff they have done so far in the 21st century has been great. Every thing they did in the 70's was great exept mabey Rocka Rolla, which had some good songs. Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Killing Machine are all great and classic albums, some of my all time favorites. They were to the late 70's what Sabbath was to the early 70's. In the early 80's they had some more greats, Brittish Steel, Screaming For Vengeance, and Defenders of the Faith. They changed their sound to a heavier, oftin more melodic sound with SFV and DOTF. Point of Entry which was good, but not as good as other works. By the late 80's they somehow changed their sound again with Turbo, which is the bands worst without a doubt. Then they found that this sound didnt work so they got back to Metal with Ram It Down. While it may not be their best it was still a pretty good album that would be followed by an even better album. It was their 1990 album Painkiller, which was the bands best since DOTF, and one of the bands best(and one of metals best of course)albums period.

I do not really like the Ripper(Tim Owens not the song), nor do I like what he did with Priest. Jugulator may be pretty good but not great like Painkiller. I wish Halford would have stuck with the band at that point, after Painkiller. What I have heard Demolition is pretty weak, but whan Halford came back things got back on track with the great Angel of Retribution. Oh and I dont care what you guys say I think Nostradamus is a great album.
12.11.2009 - 12:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Dangerboner on 10.11.2009 at 06:27

One album that I really don't get the hate over is Point of Entry. Sure, it's definitely not in their top 5, but it blows away the preceeding British Steel. It has Desert Plains, which is probably in my top 5 favorite JP songs ever. Maybe it's just good driving music, which is most likely the only times I've played it, but I think it's way better than Jugulator, Demolition, British Steel, and Nostradamus. Damn I sure could explain myself better if I brought my good CD case to work with me tonight :/

I hate "Point of Entry" but I do love "Desert Plains", a fantastic song.
----
12.11.2009 - 21:14
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.11.2009 at 00:59

"Defenders Of The Faith" would be a contender for my fave Priest album, were it not for the stupid "Heavy Duty" at the end of the album...

Defenders of the Faith is a monster of an album, but I think the song Love Bites takes the cake for most retarded song on the album. I sorta like Heavy Duty, but this may only be because of how it rolls into the epic Defenders of the Faith outro.

"We aaaaarrrre Defeeeeeenders ooooof the Faaaaaiiiiith!"
12.11.2009 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.11.2009 at 21:14

but I think the song Love Bites takes the cake for most retarded song on the album.

That certainly is the single most retarded song on the album, both musically and lyrically. But then again Judas Priest are masters of retarded songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2009 - 22:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.11.2009 at 21:14

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.11.2009 at 00:59

"Defenders Of The Faith" would be a contender for my fave Priest album, were it not for the stupid "Heavy Duty" at the end of the album...

Defenders of the Faith is a monster of an album, but I think the song Love Bites takes the cake for most retarded song on the album. I sorta like Heavy Duty, but this may only be because of how it rolls into the epic Defenders of the Faith outro.

"We aaaaarrrre Defeeeeeenders ooooof the Faaaaaiiiiith!"

i find that song totally awesome, yeah it's cheesy but 90% of Priest's material is cheesy.
13.11.2009 - 00:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 12.11.2009 at 22:24
i find that song totally awesome, yeah it's cheesy but 90% of Priest's material is cheesy.

It's not that I hate the song or anything, just compared to the rest of the album, I find it very weak.
13.11.2009 - 02:11
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2009 at 21:30

But then again Judas Priest are masters of retarded songs.

Hahahaha! XD This is true.