05. No More Mr. Nice Guy [Alice Cooper cover]
06. Love Hurts [Nazareth cover]
07. Enter Sandman [Metallica cover]
08. Holy Diver [Dio cover]
09. Paradise City [Guns N' Roses cover]
10. The Wind Cries Mary [Jimi Hendrix cover]
11. Crazy Train [Ozzy Osbourne cover]
12. Stairway To Heaven [Led Zeppelin cover]

It kicks off with a horn section, some attitude, a bit of bombast, and some female singers proclaiming, "you've got another thing coming!" before Pat Boone, complete with leather duds and a motorcycle*, takes over the vocal duties.

Wait?

What?

Pat Boone? Doing Judas Priest? Big Band style?

Yes. And Pat works over plenty of other classic rock and metal legends as well - AC/DC, Metallica, Dio, Hendrix, and the self-proclaimed "Prince Of Darkness" himself, Ozzy Osbourne as well in 1997's In A Metal Mood - No More Mister Nice Guy.

I'm sure at this point many of the too tr00 crowd that take metal far too seriously are frothing at their keyboard, steam shooting out their ears, and spiked black panties in a wad. If you are one of them, just hit the "back" button on your browser now, lest you get your poor feelings hurt.

So back to the album - Pat takes 12 classic rock/metal anthems and ballads, giving them a retro-fitting big band and jazz style. The concept might leave a lot of people scratching their heads and wondering, "why?" Truth be told, it's not really that far fetched, it's almost as if Boone's career went full circle. He started out by performing "safe" covers of black R&B artists who were too "dangerous" for the white section of the audience. (What? Blacks on the radio? Won't somebody think of the children?! Think of the children!)

So decades later, he went full circle, providing some "safer" interpretations of "dangerous" metal artists, that the likes of the PMRC (resume "Think of the children!" ranting) had targeted. And now, as with then, he still managed to offend the puritans - both the religious types (he was dismissed from the Gospel America TV show after showing up at the American Music Awards in the aforementioned leather duds to promote the album) and the metal types? see, metal and religion have something in common - sanctimonious asshats who take themselves so seriously they just cannot take a joke.

Pat did this album with a smile on his face. You can tell just listening to it.

The first couple runs through, those who get the joke are likely to really enjoy this album. It's a lot of fun given the novelty factor? just what will "Crazy Train" sound like? What will he do with "Paradise City?"

Pat is a good crooning vocalist well suited for this style. Duh, he hasn't sold 35,000,000+ albums for nothing, and he delivers. There is attitude on his delivery of "You've Got Another Thing Coming", and he comes across as quite sympathetic and understanding in his rendition of Nazareth's sappy ballad "Love Hurts." His honest delivery is utterly fantastic in "No More Mister Nice Guy", particularly with the opening lines: "I've got a bad reputation/And I don't know why/I brush my teeth/I comb my hair/I go to church/I'm a really nice guy" - it's simply perfect because, well, that sums the real Pat up in a nutshell.

The biggest issue is after several listens the novelty has worn thin, leaving some of the tracks as just "meh"? however, even after repeated listens, some of the tracks still do stand up and are really enjoyable. "You've Got Another Thing Coming" is still an anthem, even with the axes exchanged for horns, "Paradise City" is still a good time, and "Holy Diver" is awesome, particularly with the brass managing to capture the urgency of that great guitar line. For a fun juxtaposition, you can check out the Pat Boone musical version synched up beautifully with the original video by Dio, who did make a cameo appearance providing backing vocals to Boone's take at his own classic.

So if you've got a sense of humor, think metal covers of pop songs are amusing and are intrigued by that concept in reverse, give this one a listen. You'll find yourself tapping your toes and snapping along.

* ok, you don't actually hear the chopper, but he is pictured on one.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 01.04.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 142 users
01.04.2010 - 19:58
Got Mayhem?

....this isn't actually that bad.
----
01.04.2010 - 20:05
soadbyob
Account deleted
Seriously? this whole april fools thing is going too far, first tokio hotel, now pat boone? whos next bruce springsteen?
01.04.2010 - 20:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 01.04.2010 at 20:05

Seriously? this whole april fools thing is going too far, first tokio hotel, now pat boone? whos next bruce springsteen?

Don't you dare bad-mouth Bruce Springsteen! I'll have you know I'm actually a massive fan of The Boss (no joke, check my collection). He's the best musician ever.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.04.2010 - 20:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I really love the Pat Boone metal covers. i hope this doesn't turn out to be another april fool's gag and the review will stay here.

after all, if Children of Bodom covering "Oops i did it again" or the millions of other covers of pop songs, including the metal tribute to Abba weren't blasphemous, why should the reverse be? oh wait, i'm on a metal site... errr.. DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL! WIMPS AND POSERS LEAVE THE HALL!
01.04.2010 - 20:33
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 01.04.2010 at 20:23

Don't you dare bad-mouth Bruce Springsteen! I'll have you know I'm actually a massive fan of The Boss (no joke, check my collection). He's the best musician ever.

Ill give you that, he can write some good songs, but not heavy enough for me
01.04.2010 - 20:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Wait, this is a real album?
01.04.2010 - 20:35
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 01.04.2010 at 20:33

I really love the Pat Boone metal covers. i hope this doesn't turn out to be another april fool's gag and the review will stay here.

after all, if Children of Bodom covering "Oops i did it again" or the millions of other covers of pop songs, including the metal tribute to Abba weren't blasphemous, why should the reverse be?

The COB cover was blaphemous. I HATED the fact that they did it! But still, COB is already a solid metal band, something like that isnt enough to destroy them, now is they made another Skeletons in the Closet, then yeah, COB would start to suck
01.04.2010 - 20:36
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 01.04.2010 at 20:23

Ill give you that, he can write some good songs, but not heavy enough for me
01.04.2010 - 20:43
Rupert

To those who are wondering: yes, this is a real album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kxfpxqthldde
01.04.2010 - 21:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
"I'm sure at this point many of the too tr00 crowd that take metal far too seriously"

lol the irony in this is so thick you can cut it with a freekin spoon.
01.04.2010 - 22:57
PrettyMao

I remember listening to this album back in the late 90s... Awesome shit!

And for those that love the big band lounge acts, check out Max Raabe. His cover of Britney's "Oops I Did It Again" blows that lame ass cover done by that fruity-toot-toot band, Children of Boredom, out of the water...
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
02.04.2010 - 01:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Valentin B on 01.04.2010 at 20:33

after all, if Children of Bodom covering "Oops i did it again" or the millions of other covers of pop songs, including the metal tribute to Abba weren't blasphemous, why should the reverse be? oh wait, i'm on a metal site... errr.. DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL! WIMPS AND POSERS LEAVE THE HALL!

the review is real. i own the album and do like it from time to time. the Priest cover is actually on my jogging mix.

i did bump it off the front page as it is an old release - i only put it there as the timing worked perfectly with our "April Fools" plans. I'd actually completed the review several days ago, but held off figuring it would appear to fit in nicely with our prank.

Richie Blackmore also appears on this release...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2011 - 08:14
MetalJon

Getting this album off of iTunes in a few days.

many claim me not to be a metal head, which I know that I am. I've been questioned on why I want to get this and I can answer in 5 words; to be a metal appreciator!
15.05.2020 - 01:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
This is it, the review that broke MS
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 10304 | This month: 39