Style: Brutal death metal, Grindcore
Release date: 2009

01. Gaggle Of Deads
02. Architect Of Machination
03. Bumak Army
04. Jesus Fucks Kids
05. Wholesale Massacre
06. Chrysanthemum DNA

Seriously, I'd rather not see real jumping jacks rioting in the streets. Because, if this band is any indication, it sure will be one hell of a violent upheaval.

Just check this EP, seriously. There's ultra-violence all over the place, either in a brutal and technical death metal way with a lot (a lot!) of time signature changes and crazy soloing, or in a pure in-your-face grindcore way complete with piggy screams. All this alternating or mixing at breakneck speed. Yeah, don't expect this missile to fly at conventional speed.
Sure, what we've got here are people who mean business, and their business is good. Different screams and grunts, crazy guitars and bass lines, tight-as-fuck drumming, all is there. Maybe it's not precisely original, but this doesn't prevent Jumping Jack Riot to already have their own thing

The only reproach that can be made about this Period Of Consequences is about the production. It's not bad per se, far from it. But it's a bit overdone, killing some of the dynamics. It's a bit too clean too? And I do think that a somewhat grittier sound would have been more appropriate. On the plus side, it's sure one can hear everything pretty well, including the bass.

So, you love your metal all melodic with angelic voices and stuff? Why not trying a change of diet, just to mosh with these violent marionettes?

And no, the review is not finished? And neither is this EP. After these six tracks of furious assault, there's some silence before the hidden surprise. Here comes some kind of distorted industrial soundtrack, which can and do evoke a jumping jacks army walking in a post-apocalyptic landscape (as pictured in the leaflet). Really surprising, interesting, and good!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 04.04.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 49 users
05.04.2010 - 01:24
silenius
Sounds like this would fit me perfectly^^

Hits total: 4633 | This month: 8