Metal Storm logo
Why some bands work for a few years and dissipate?

05.04.2010 - 13:44
Paladin

There is not many bands that work for many years,i think most of them work for money not for this genre,and they cant reach to this.
05.04.2010 - 14:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Because there is planty , planty, planty bands who play same, simply you have only 24h in day besides 13 I sleep and other there also job, moneymaker, nowdays people have no enought time for love,sex and family, so band simply play and they need incomes for living, so if muisc dont give it they need job to, and if there some same sounding band how many people can listen simply there no time and its not possible for all bands be popular,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.04.2010 - 14:43
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Mostly because many bands are "one-trick ponies". Their 'original' ideas are brought forth on their debut/first two albums and then they run out of fresh ideas. The metal world is condense and sooner or later other bands will catch on to their ideas and then it is original no more. And very few bands have the ability to keep transforming and sound fresh and constantly reinvent themselves. Other bands come along and eventually do a better job at it, or expand on the fresh ideas initially put forth by the "failure band" and before too long that "one trick pony" band is nothing special anymore and they either break up or the change their style to go after money.
06.04.2010 - 17:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Paladin on 05.04.2010 at 13:44

There is not many bands that work for many years,i think most of them work for money not for this genre,and they cant reach to this.

If they can't live on their music, it doesn't have to mean that they are "un-true" to Metal. You know people have to work too, to actually pay for food and rent. Making records every second year takes a lot of time. So I think that's just bullshit, that most artists only create music for the purpose of making money.
----
06.04.2010 - 20:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 06.04.2010 at 17:04

Written by Paladin on 05.04.2010 at 13:44

If they can't live on their music, it doesn't have to mean that they are "un-true" to Metal. You know people have to work too, to actually pay for food and rent. Making records every second year takes a lot of time. So I think that's just bullshit, that most artists only create music for the purpose of making money.

I agree I say it in my firts post here and I dont remeber but some 80's famose thrash band members after split up worked real job, IMO Flotsam and Jetsam such type bands, I read it in interwiew(but forgot name of band), they worked real jobs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.04.2010 - 21:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Warman on 06.04.2010 at 17:04

...So I think that's just bullshit, that most artists only create music for the purpose of making money.

Seriously! How many bands (not just metal) actually make a profit these days? Beyond the established acts like Metallica and pop-star sensations a la Lady Gaga, there aren't exactly hordes of rich musicians running around.

Between the Internet (downloading) and population (diluted talent) there simply isn't a feasible solution to solving the poverty level of the average musician, thus they are required to actually have a real job to pay the bills.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2010 - 17:23
busta5000
Account deleted
The most problem is money problems Metal unlike other genre are the least popular. I mean for example POP & rap & RNB & Rock are the most popular that most downloads in itunes are from these genres. plus even in music stores you can't find all metal albums you see the music store full of 60 pop albums\60 rock albums\60 rnb albums\60 rapalbums & 3 or 4 old metal albums!!!!!!

so Most metal bands get money the usual way by performing live plus alot of people are cheap to even attend these concerts & instead watch them on youtube.

Metal bands are dying because the only way they earn money is to perform live. Yes they do earn money by selling their albums but I bet its lesser than $1000 a month.

I just hope there is a new & better way to fund these bands.
14.04.2016 - 19:59
Enteroctopus

The problem is not only financial, though. It's hard to work with other people, period. Being in a band is a bit like being in a sports team. You have to get together and practice, and at some point a leader emerges and no matter what that leader is going to piss people off - they might have to grow a set of balls and tell the rest of the band to play better, or you might have good old-fashioned jealousy, because who wants to be, "the follower?"

What kid dreams of playing backup?

It's those basic complexities of human relationships that make keeping a band going especially hard, I think, and money just adds to the problem. When you could be working and making more money than you make with the band you wonder what is the point? Your wife or girlfriend will nag you about 'wasting your time with this stupid band when we are broke!' and she's got a point.

Even in a perfect situation, though, where money isn't an issue, you've still got the underlying personality conflict going on. Leading people is hard. Being led is hard.

The bands that are the most successful for the longest periods of time: Megadeth, for example, have a well-established "center of gravity," a mastermind, if you will. Democracies make bad bands, most of the time. Dictatorships make far better music.

Frank Zappa is another example. Total dick! Wrote really awesome, super high precision (often quite strange) music. He was the type of guy to fire the whole band the day of recording, etc.

With Dave Mustaine, same thing. Absolutely horrible guy to work for, notorious bastard of a boss. But you know what? Tightest, most consistent metal band I have seen, of the few bands I have seen 5+ times. Every single time I have seen them they bring a solid show, and I chalk it up to the dictatorship of Dave.

But has "the band" Megadeth stuck together? Hell no! Zappa didn't have "a band" for very long, either. It's one guy flying the ship and a laundry list of help, most of which evacuate for dear life.

Metallica has stayed together, but they have a therapist. They'll call in the Dalai fucking Lama himself if it can get these whining rich little babies to shit out one more platinum-selling album. And them live?

Ha!

I can play "Seek and Destroy," for twenty minutes, too. Why don't I do that? Because it completely sucks. Makes the bankers and the accountants happy, though.
29.05.2016 - 17:29
SolemnBastion

Written by Enteroctopus on 14.04.2016 at 19:59

The problem is not only financial, though. It's hard to work with other people, period. Being in a band is a bit like being in a sports team. You have to get together and practice, ...

Pretty much on the spot there, idd. Keeping a band together (even if just a studio-band) is quite a hassle, especially if each of you are trying to secure a decent job and place to live (etc.) at the same time, and all of these individual steps/endeavors are monopolizing more and more of your time. Not even talking about the individual-vs.-group dynamics.. This is at least my personal experience with it. Kudo's to those that are better at time-management and general people-management.

other than that.. there will be quite a few bands out there too that didn't get the exposure they expected and quit, or started over (and over and over and over)... or just peoples interests and personalities that changed over a rather short period of time, and they stepped away from the metal genres, quitting music all together, or calling in a transfer to another genre or something..
----
SOLEMN BASTION (distro) is an ADVOCATE of LEFT HAND PATH and OBSCURE art, based out of the Benelux.

https://solemnbastion.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Solemn-Bastion-448330452029415/
http://solemnbastion.tumblr.com/
04.06.2016 - 12:59
Overrwatcher

Definitely everything that was mentioned here. Inspiration, money (all of Thy Art Is Murder made ~18k gross revenue per member over 6 years despite being an extremely popular band and constantly touring), dealing with other people for long periods of time, creative differences, time sinks, fading into obscurity, or just not making it in the first place. Unlike non-rock/metal genres, you pretty much need to have a full band, and you also won't be making very much money.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
04.06.2016 - 13:16
ANGEL REAPER

Some bands ? Most bands disband after some short time (few years, couple of moths and so). Money is significant factor but mostly its chemistry between people playing together : people tend to get bored of each other, stuff they play , endless rehearing of same one goddamn riff, audience on shows, promoters, touring , etc. Also a lot of bands plainly suck in the long run so they just vanish after maybe making one or two good albums.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.06.2016 - 00:43
Ganondox

I think it's generally a combination of the two problems discussed: the band really only wants to make one album, and they can't afford to make a second.