02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

The best Progressive Metal album of 2011

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
After a run of hugely successful albums, Symphony X have the expectations of the world on them for the release of album number eight, a concept album on man's growing reliance on technology; Iconoclast. A trademark crushing Michael Romeo riff opens up the album bravely with the eleven-minute long title track.

Iconoclast is a culmination of elements from the band's history with a harder edge than before. Everything that made the last Symphony X albums so enjoyable can be found on here somewhere; the progressive dynamics, Romeo's masterful guitar riffs, or the voice of one of our generation's greatest metal singers. Russell Allen's singing is once again one of the most enjoyable aspects of Symphony X, although at various points he does emulate Ronnie Dio's mannerisms a little too closely.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2011 | Comments (113)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Symphony X returns after four years of absence. Iconoclast before the release was regarded as one of the most expected albums of the year. The confirmation of the new direction of the band, in my opinion, was one of my true concerns.

The album is divided in two CDs, the first one a more powerful, progressive, and strong style. For me the band is way better and feels more comfortable in this style. Every performance is really great, combining amazing vocal abilities, strong riffs and fast drum parts. The first CD starts with one of the best songs of the album, the homonymous "Iconoclast" with a great Russell Allen showing that he is one of the best metal singers nowadays. The opening song sets the tone for what comes next, probably the most enraged set of straight songs Symphony X had the talent to compose.

Read more ››
published 24.11.2011 | Comments (14)

I usually try to pick less known stuff, but this time it has to be Symphony X. Iconoclast is utterly brilliant. It's the most brilliant release I've heard in 3 years. It's also the best-produced fucking brilliant metal album in history. Oh, did I mention that it's brilliant?

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 95 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 158   Visited by: 1982 users
09.03.2011 - 23:06
Rating: 10
Xtopher

WTF? The release date changed from May to December??!
what are they doing to us?
----
23.03.2011 - 22:40
TemplarLS

I did not found Heretic live version but those two songs are very good! Can't wait
23.03.2011 - 23:11
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
They want to compete with Dream Theater's release
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.04.2011 - 00:08
BlankFile

It will be released 17 June Guys.
23.04.2011 - 17:17
SceneryOfLoss

I can't wait for this \m/
23.04.2011 - 18:54
MetalSpider

I'm definitely looking forward to this!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.05.2011 - 15:47
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
Yes! 2 songs are great. SEEING THEM IN 2 DAYS WOO!
05.05.2011 - 04:45
Rating: 5
Wes

This is going to be amazing. First track is 12 minutes long. According to Romeo and a recent review the 2 online songs are the weakest on the album!
05.05.2011 - 12:42
Guiga268

Http://heavymetalthunder6.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/symphony-x-iconoclast-nuclear-blast-2011/

This is the first review i found of the album, and it made even more excited about this album
06.05.2011 - 02:04
Baz Anderson

Yeh, I have the album too and giving it a listen for review. The first song is 10:51 - which is the longest on the album.
08.05.2011 - 04:11
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.05.2011 at 02:04

Yeh, I have the album too and giving it a listen for review. The first song is 10:51 - which is the longest on the album.

I hope it is at the height of "Paradise Lost", already will tell us how it is in your review...
20.05.2011 - 15:21
Sam Amir

Can't fucking wait
11.06.2011 - 15:36
Vertumnus

What an album!!! They are getting better and better and better...
ALL HAIL SYMPHONY X!!!
----
Stand rigid for the next battle, peace means reloading your guns
12.06.2011 - 02:25
strade

How do albums like this leak, anyway?

Edit:
Whoa, I haven't heard Symphony X make anything I've felt quite like this in over 10 years. Color me impressed and very, very surprised. Perhaps their best ever. Rating: 9
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
12.06.2011 - 17:52
Kamil
Account deleted
The best album in US progressive metal in this decade for sure.
Absolutely amaizing stuff
12.06.2011 - 23:59
BlankFile

Im stunned by what i´ve listened so far. Its another masterpiece from SX! Damn!
13.06.2011 - 02:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Im going to go to bed soon and listen to this for the first time.. can't wait! I doubt it'll beat Paradise Lost or The Odyssey, but we'll see! xD
13.06.2011 - 20:34
Hammer Pie

Wow, they actually made an album worse than Paradise Lost.

I think this is a band I've grown out of.
15.06.2011 - 03:16
Rating: 6
The Voyager
The Table
Well, I'm in the minority here, but this is kind of a disappointment for me. I get that they're trying to be heavier these days, but it just doesn't suit them if you ask me. They seem to have lost a dynamic that their music carried on The Odyssey and albums prior. Hell, even Paradise Lost had that dynamic. Here it's just more and more of Allen's tough guy vocals, and samey sounding riff after riff after riff, along with some lackluster lyrical content. Not to mention the guitar solos, which carried really nothing of value and were just mindless wankfests that all blended together. I don't know, it's not a bad album by any means, but I expected more from Symphony X.
15.06.2011 - 17:35
theregnar
Account deleted
Written by The Voyager on 15.06.2011 at 03:16

Well, I'm in the minority here, but this is kind of a disappointment for me. I get that they're trying to be heavier these days, but it just doesn't suit them if you ask me. They seem to have lost a dynamic that their music carried on The Odyssey and albums prior. Hell, even Paradise Lost had that dynamic. Here it's just more and more of Allen's tough guy vocals, and samey sounding riff after riff after riff, along with some lackluster lyrical content. Not to mention the guitar solos, which carried really nothing of value and were just mindless wankfests that all blended together. I don't know, it's not a bad album by any means, but I expected more from Symphony X.

well you're not alone, a disappointment for me too
15.06.2011 - 17:58
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
The last three posts have all expressed remorse, so I don't think that can be considered a minority. I, however, was overjoyed when I heard this the first time through. I was expected an album worse than Paradise Lost and instead heard perhaps their best album. I'm not sure what about it could be seen as terrible, it is packed with goodness. The energy is really there, Romeo's riffs are beast as ever, the drum sound is on point and Allen channels Dio (or maybe Jorn?) for some legendary vocal moments. A pleasant surprise...
15.06.2011 - 22:33
Hammer Pie

Written by Introspekrieg on 15.06.2011 at 17:58

The last three posts have all expressed remorse, so I don't think that can be considered a minority.

Three out of dozens isn't a minority?
15.06.2011 - 23:34
Rating: 5
Wes

Their worst album yet.. What a joke.
16.06.2011 - 00:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Hammer Pie on 15.06.2011 at 22:33

Written by Introspekrieg on 15.06.2011 at 17:58

The last three posts have all expressed remorse, so I don't think that can be considered a minority.

Three out of dozens isn't a minority?

Well, depending on where you are looking, most tr00 fans seem to dislike it, just like Paradise Lost. I guess when I was looking back, the negative posts stand out more than the others.
Overall, it seems like a fairly inoffensive album, nothing has drastically changed. I think it's a solid release nonetheless, like something they have always been building towards. But no one gives a shit what anyone else thinks, hopefully...
16.06.2011 - 00:53
Saeed_p

Be honest guys; this not that too bad as few people mentioned and also perfect that many of you said.
I'd like to listen more melodic elements from them even though we cant call them Symphonic ! its not the way that they'd trying to be in.
so id rather to give them 6.
16.06.2011 - 01:06
MetalSpider

After my first listen through, I thought it was alright...but nothing special and not really memorable. Its not their best effort and I think a step down from Paradise Lost. However, this is only after my first run. As with many albums, it might grow on me later on.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.06.2011 - 08:08
The Benighted

I've listened to their entire back discography and, although it's in the same direction of the newer release, Paradise Lost, it also has almost everything from their older releases sprinkled about here and there, and it's a good mesh of new and old ideas. Definitely a great release with a ton of standout tracks.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
16.06.2011 - 12:23
Hughes

It is less melodic than their last album idd but nonetheless is still a really good album imo and that guitar of Romeo's is pure awesomeness :p
16.06.2011 - 13:04
versusthesiren

Loving it!
16.06.2011 - 19:26
Abattoir

Sovereign music...by the way song "Iconoclast" is outstanding.

Hits total: 59730 | This month: 44