Metal Storm logo
Where to find underground CDs in London

07.04.2010 - 21:37
Jan
I'm going to London next week and was wondering if anybody could point me to some good record stores? I'm mostly looking for the more underground non-extreme stuff; trad. doom, true metal etc.

I have tried to google, but with no luck.

Thanks
Jan
07.04.2010 - 21:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Jan on 07.04.2010 at 21:37

I'm going to London next week and was wondering if anybody could point me to some good record stores? I'm mostly looking for the more underground non-extreme stuff; trad. doom, true metal etc.

I have tried to google, but with no luck.

Thanks
Jan

Maybe there's a shop in this list? http://www.metaltravelguide.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=235&Itemid=56
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2010 - 21:45
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I'm sorry but I can't help.

I don't live in London - I buy all of my cds online .
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
08.04.2010 - 00:22
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Dig a hole and take a look.
----
Coldgrits
11.04.2010 - 10:58
Jan
Ok - thanks anyway.

I mostly buy online as well, as do probably most people. Could be that niche record stores has become extinct. Oh - well will have to make do with the HMV flagship store on oxford then.

11.04.2010 - 11:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Unbelievable... you can't find a record store in London? you know i can't really think of a city with as many record stores(and especially metal) right now hahah.
12.04.2010 - 04:14
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I heard that all high street hmvs in the US have gone bust...
----
loves 小巫
12.04.2010 - 17:07
Jan
Written by Valentin B on 11.04.2010 at 11:00

Unbelievable... you can't find a record store in London? you know i can't really think of a city with as many record stores(and especially metal) right now hahah.

All right - could you share a few recommendations then?
12.04.2010 - 17:09
Jan
Written by Ag Fox on 12.04.2010 at 04:14

Hope not. The website is still up, so perhaps the shops are as well.
12.04.2010 - 17:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Jan on 12.04.2010 at 17:09

Written by Ag Fox on 12.04.2010 at 04:14

Hope not. The website is still up, so perhaps the shops are as well.
I heard they retreated only to online retailing now. but in the UK they seem to be doing fine
----
loves 小巫
12.04.2010 - 20:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Jan on 12.04.2010 at 17:07

i'm actually surprised no-one mentioned the metal locations section on MS.. this seems to be a pretty good shop for what you're looking for http://www.metalstorm.net/events/location.php?location_id=146

also, you could try at underground band's gigs in the clubs listed there, if i'm not wrong they sell stuff there too, most of the times from other underground bands too if you're not into the groups that are playing.
12.04.2010 - 20:50
Jan
Written by Valentin B on 12.04.2010 at 20:06

Written by Jan on 12.04.2010 at 17:07

i'm actually surprised no-one mentioned the metal locations section on MS.. this seems to be a pretty good shop for what you're looking for http://www.metalstorm.net/events/location.php?location_id=146

also, you could try at underground band's gigs in the clubs listed there, if i'm not wrong they sell stuff there too, most of the times from other underground bands too if you're not into the groups that are playing.

Hey - excellent - thanks for the tip! I will def. pop in there - we are going to camden markets anyway, so this is great. (Had gotten the impression that Camden was goth only, nice to see other subcultures are represented as well.)

I had no idea there was a location section here (no that you mention it, the link sort of seem obvious ) - thanks again.
12.04.2010 - 20:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Jan on 12.04.2010 at 20:50

Hey - excellent - thanks for the tip! I will def. pop in there - we are going to camden markets anyway, so this is great. (Had gotten the impression that Camden was goth only, nice to see other subcultures are represented as well.)

I had no idea there was a location section here (no that you mention it, the link sort of seem obvious ) - thanks again.

no prob have fun in London and support the underground!
14.04.2010 - 11:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

London really doesn't have that many specialized metal shops at all. London, and England in general, are bad for looking for UNDERGROUND metal. It is all just mainstream metal there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.04.2010 - 22:53
Jan
Was at resurrection records today. Real small metal selection. Nothing small about the prices though. This shop is not worth even a slight detour. (Yeah, yeah bought a cd or five but that was mostly because i had the shopping blues bad.)
16.04.2010 - 16:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Camden market would be your best bet, i can recall one shop that had a reasonabale range of stuff, it's been a while since I've been there though. I think it's a clothes shop up top and downstairs there's a shop that sells cd's. Of course after the fire a couple of years ago Camden got a little smaller.
17.04.2010 - 01:50
Jan
Written by Guest on 16.04.2010 at 16:25

Camden market would be your best bet, i can recall one shop that had a reasonabale range of stuff, it's been a while since I've been there though. I think it's a clothes shop up top and downstairs there's a shop that sells cd's. Of course after the fire a couple of years ago Camden got a little smaller.

Thanks, but that was actually the shop I was referring to.

Had a bit of luck at the HMVs on Oxford Street today though - found the Grand Magus debut and some other, less rare stuff. I had been looking for that for more than a year so a great find for me