04. Elder Thrived
05. Insomnia Revised / H. B. Woodrose
06. Class ?A" Prisoner
07. Projecting. AM
08. No Logo
09. When Road 'n Booze Collide
10. Intra Vires
11. Even If

Imagine what it must be like to have a fetish. Thongs... you just love'em! Keep one in your pocket. Stroke it. Caress it's delicate material. No matter what happens, you've got your thong. Your boss being an asshole? No matter - got your thong. Monkeys throwing excrement at you at the zoo? No matter - got your thong. Huge, burly bear's armpit in your face on the bus? No matter - got your thong. The soft silk, the exquisite fine detail of lace, the hint of their previous user's musky scent..

MMMmmm... thongs!

Chain Reaction are riff fetishists. Cutthroat Melodies is evidence of more than just a mere fascination and focus on riffing, the music here goes beyond just what chords are played, in what sequence and how fast. Instead, the band lovingly revels in the very essence of the riff, the purity of its sonic impact and the rich texture of distortion. Best experienced with a solid, loud high fidelity sound system, Cutthroat Melodies offers the chance for a nearly meditative examination of the riff, much like for example, Prong's Cleansing. It also finally identifies Chain Reaction's focus and speciality - something that was missing on the Warsaw groove thrash band's previous album.

The riffs are consistently crushing and a joy to behold. They are also capable of glossing over the few moments that are not that stellar. Nevertheless, this is a captivating, energetic and spirited set of songs. I particularly like "Intra vires", a relentless crusher of a song with a surprisingly catchy melodic edge that works because it is simple and capitalizes on the band's strengths. Other highlights are the Ministry-esque "Prime Integers", as well as thrashy epics "Elder Thrived" and "Class A Prisoner".

Cutthroat Melodies is proof of the aural power of the metal riff. Chain Reaction have definitely grown as a band, weeded out their weeknesses and embraced their strengths. We are all riff fetishists after all and this album reminds us of the purity that caused our perversion. I sincerely hope the next album will be even more fetishistic.

Written on 09.04.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 131 users
09.04.2010 - 16:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Yeah, I remember your review of their previous album, so when saw them in staff picks I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't like Vicious Circle either, but this review got me hyped to listen to this one. Because there is just too much riff for one review
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.04.2010 - 20:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I'm like a fetishist. but for beer. with comparisons to Prong and Ministry, i'll have to make some time to check them out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.04.2010 - 11:42
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
So is the album like 11 different renditions of the thong song?
10.04.2010 - 23:50
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Marcus on 10.04.2010 at 11:42

So is the album like 11 different renditions of the thong song?

+1

Great review. I typically like this member's reviews. Fresh, funny, and creative. An ultimately entertaining read that still usually manages to describe the music well... Even if it requires a bit of thought to figure out. ;P I'll have to check this one out.
12.04.2010 - 08:55
BudDa

Awesome review..
and I got my thong..Haha
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
19.11.2010 - 00:59
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Cool album indeed, and it certainly delivers as far as satisfying my riff fetishes lol

the star wars soundtrack theme was briefly featured in the 4th track
----
loves 小巫
18.12.2011 - 20:44
Milena
gloom cookie
This review is seriously epic.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 6719 | This month: 5