Metal Storm logo
Hi-Fi help? (noob questions)

12.04.2010 - 04:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Hi there. I'm hoping to buy some hi-fi for my laptop computer because since coming to MS i've taken music a lot more seriously. but I know virtually nothing about it, so I've got a bunch of noob questions which I'm sure many of you guys are experts in and can answer me.

1. What do I need to connect an amp to a pair of speakers?
2. What do I need to connect to a laptop to an amp? I heard USB connection is better. Does it bypass my (crappy) soundcard?
3. After connecting the laptop to the amp, do i need anything else to connect the speakers to the laptop? Or are they connected already via the amp?

EDIT: OMG!! my 666th post here (just gotta say it for the heck of it)
----
loves 小巫
12.04.2010 - 04:30
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Http://www.obsessable.com/how-to/how-to-hook-up-your-guitar-to-your-computer/

Google, it usually has just about every single answer to all your questions about computers or things related to computers.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
12.04.2010 - 15:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Thanks for the help.
I just want some confirmations...
1. do i need sth like these to connect to a DAC?
2. is a DAC an external soundcard?
3. is the connection DC 24V for the amp?
----
loves 小巫
12.04.2010 - 18:20
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
HDMI, USB, SATA, FIREWIRE cables that cost 5x times the normal amount because they have GOLD in their connector housing and other special shit are worthless. Get a normal USB cable and a decent cable to go from your amp to whatever part of your computer.

Now if it would be considered an external sound card, I dont know. But don't fall into the gap of consumers that get scammed into buying expensive cables that won't give you any real improvement over a generic cable.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out