Metal Storm logo
Altar Of Plagues

14.04.2010 - 05:20
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Anyone have the album from Altar Of Plagues, White Tomb? Or the new EP titled Tides?

I recently snagged White Tombs and it has Nathan from Graves At Sea doing some vocals on I think two of the songs. Its a pretty nice album.

/discuss!
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
14.04.2010 - 05:45
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Http://www.myspace.com/altarofplagues

If you need some listening stuff.
----
14.04.2010 - 09:07
spirit_inblack
harshhead
It's indeed a nice album, and I've yet to check on the new EP they released. The description deserves something more than mere "black metal" though, cause they play a mixture that relies very heavily on post-rock. The first track on White Tomb is sooo fucking massive... it's definitely my favorite song of theirs.
14.04.2010 - 09:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Yeah nice band. Will pick up the Tides on vinyl tomorrow at the Roadburn festival. And will be seeing them live on the 25th. Unfortunately have to miss both their sets at Roadburn do to wanting to see other bands at the same time. But they will be playing White Tomb in its entirety during one of their two sets,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 11:08
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Nice.
----
14.04.2010 - 11:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Btw, welcome back, Prugor.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2010 at 11:11

who is he, I dont remeber him, eevn his post limit n year when join in is 2004, but I dont remeber

about band I like it good one , now I think maybe best BM from Irland
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2010 - 15:55
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2010 at 11:11

Thank you.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Compared to some of this wave of post-rock/black metal outfits that're making names for themselves Altar of Plagues seem a little middle-of-the-road if White Tomb was anything to go by. I gave it a few spins last year and have never returned to it.
14.04.2010 - 16:15
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Well, this whole Post-rock and Black Metal mix eludes me, because when I think of Post Rock, I think of God Is An Astronaut. Suggestions of this so called Post-Rock/Black Metal stuff. And to be honest, all I hear is Black Metal with some moderately sized ambient thrown into the back ground or as a buffer between actual songs. As in the ONLY thing I see it resembling post rock is the break downs. But pretty much everything in the last decade has some sort of break down in it. Please enlighten me.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I don't hear any post-rock in Altar Of Plagues either. AoP are very comparable to Wolves In The Throne Room soundwise and I don't hear anyone mention post-rock there. Just because soundscapes are used does not make something post-rock influenced.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 16:27
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2010 at 16:23

I don't hear any post-rock in Altar Of Plagues either. AoP are very comparable to Wolves In The Throne Room soundwise and I don't hear anyone mention post-rock there. Just because soundscapes are used does not make something post-rock influenced.

I was thinking the same, I listened to Black Cascade tonight right after listening to White Tombs, and the albums are similar in a few ways.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well, like ambient black metal which largely has nothing to do with ambient or dark ambient most of time it could probably be argued that this post-rock black metal surge has little to do with post rock but rather a particular sound that people identify a phrase or genre classification with, often with that shoe-gazing aesthetic. But then again there are often inflections of Eluvium, Mono or in some cases Agalloch or Tool in many of the bands.
14.04.2010 - 16:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Prugor on 14.04.2010 at 16:27

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2010 at 16:23

I was thinking the same, I listened to Black Cascade tonight right after listening to White Tombs, and the albums are similar in a few ways.

And then listen to Cobalt - Gin.
The three bands could be brothers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 16:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Anyone who thinks Black Cascade and Gin sound alike need their ears waxed.
14.04.2010 - 16:40
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Snagging Cobalt's catalog at the moment and then I will compare later on after a decent little nap.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Give most attention to Eater of Birds, is slightly better than Gin as it mostly avoids that post-metal feel, if I'm honest.
14.04.2010 - 16:46
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Usually when I grab an album, I tend to get the whole discography. This wasn't an exception, every album is currently working it's way digitally into my possession.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Dont expect them to sound overtly like Altar of Plagues, Fen have a more similar sound to them (and undoubtedly post-rock influenced). Cobalt are a bit more post-metal/Tool-esque
14.04.2010 - 16:56
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Hm. I'm not going to come to a conclusion without first listening to the album. It's pretty hard to picture anything resembling Black Metal to sound or have any hint of being influenced by Tool.
----
14.04.2010 - 16:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Let's stick to Altar Of Plagues here. Although I'd participate in any Post-Rock/Black/Avantgarde Black topic. Do we have one atm?

I'll hop on the 'I don't understand Altar Of Plagues' bandwagon. At least for now. I own White Tomb, it's the only thing I've heard off them. I've listened to it, what, five or six times maybe. It felt directionless and incoherent. It's been a couple of months since I've last listened to the album, though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.04.2010 - 17:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 14.04.2010 at 16:58

Let's stick to Altar Of Plagues here. Although I'd participate in any Post-Rock/Black/Avantgarde Black topic. Do we have one atm?

I don't recall one, personally i think it might be worth opening one as i've observed a fair few people identify with the genre. The above bands and stuff like Lantlòs, Fauna, Caïna, Petrychor, even WitTR etc. are often ascribed the "post" suffix.
14.04.2010 - 17:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 14.04.2010 at 16:39

The atmosphere is alike. Musically of course they vary a lot but it is the feel to both albums that is quite the same.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 17:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2010 at 17:33

Written by Guest on 14.04.2010 at 16:39

The atmosphere is alike. Musically of course they vary a lot but it is the feel to both albums that is quite the same.

You think the harsh, brutal "war metal" overtones of Gin sounds like the softer, harmonised chord progressions of Black Cascade? That's a new one. The only similarity i see is the vocal tone, and the production separates the two quite neatly.

If anything I'd cite the two albums as polar opposites of black metal style and atmosphere.
14.04.2010 - 20:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Prugor on 14.04.2010 at 16:56

It's pretty hard to picture anything resembling Black Metal to sound or have any hint of being influenced by Tool.

Well Erik Wunder, of Cobalt, cites in interviews that the first 4 Tool albums are amongst his all time favourite (not to mention Neurosis). Of that, make what you will.
15.04.2010 - 01:34
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
I remember Cobalt, before I went on my I think, two or three year AFK, I did have Cobalt's album War Metal. If Gin resembles it in any way, then this band will sound alot like Axis Of Advance, same style, same speed, the use of break downs. Not has harsh as Revenge or Bestial Warlust, but as blistering as a AoA's second album.

Anyways, I listened to White Tomb again before I went to sleep. Jack the volume up on some surround sound, turn the bass up just alittle so the drumming is more pronounced. It was a good listen at 9AM. Nathan's vocals along with the vocalist from Altar of Plagues is a good mix and the use of ambient/noise inbetween songs is great. This band sounds more like bands coming out of the West Coast of the US then it does from across the pond.
----
08.05.2010 - 02:31
The Turbanator
I love White Tomb. Classic album.

I heard Tides too. Pretty good I must say. Just need a little bit of better production then it'll be awesome.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.05.2010 - 19:46
The Turbanator
Anyone saw their gig in Portugal? Looks brilliant.

Check this out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzaHUlMETI
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.05.2010 - 00:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by The Turbanator on 12.05.2010 at 19:46

Anyone saw their gig in Portugal? Looks brilliant.

Check this out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzaHUlMETI

Nope I didn't see them in Portugal but I saw them three times in Holland between APril 15 and 25. Twoce at Roadburn from APril 15 - 17 and once on April 25 rioght around the corner from where I live. All three times they were good to great. But the best gig being the one on April 25. Btw, talked to the guys for quite some time on April 25 and they were really great nice guys.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2010 - 15:16
Krankheit
Account deleted
Good band indeed. Listening to White Tombs right now and so far I'm impressed.