Metal Storm logo
The Iron Cross - Finnish Metal Documentary

A new humorous documentary film, directed by Kalle Kujala, titled Rautaa Rajan Taa - roughly translated as The Iron Cross - debuts today, on the 16th of April, 2010 in Finnish theatres. The film features many important Finnish metal bands and artists including Amorphis, Hanoi Rocks, Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish, Korpiklaani, Sonata Arctica, Eicca Toppinen from Apocalyptica, Diablo, and rising band Dauntless.

The film is a tribute to Finnish metal music and hard rock's success abroad. The main topics of the film include the Finnish government's subsidies for metal music and the current popularity of heavy metal music in Finland. It explores the importance of metal as a cultural export and the reasoning behind tax reimbursements as attested by Mauri Pekkarinen, also know as the "Parliament Terrier", the Finnish Minister of Economic Affairs. Finnish television and radio personality Jone Nikula is also featured.

Shot between December 2007 and July 2009 in Finland, as well as the cities of Brussels, Amsterdam, Milan, New York and Stockholm, the featured bands are questioned about heavy metal music's essence and the conclusion and implications of heavy metal are discussed.

More info at this location.

Source: finnkino.fi
Posted: 16.04.2010 by Shadowcross

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 58 users
16.04.2010 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Well they certainly got to a lot of the big(-name) Finnish bands, which will draw more of a crowd than Profetus, Colosseum and the like. It seems like an interesting enough documentary, although discussing the "implications" of metal doesn't entice me. Maybe casual listeners will appreciate that part more than die-hard fans...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.04.2010 - 22:18
Roro

So does this documentary include H.I.M ?
17.04.2010 - 05:35
Symmachus

I can't understand most of what they're saying, but I probably wouldn't mind seeing this. By the way, how does Mauri Pekkarinen mix into this?
17.04.2010 - 10:44
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Roro on 16.04.2010 at 22:18

So does this documentary include H.I.M ?

It seems not, unless in a passing mention, which surprises me..

Written by Symmachus on 17.04.2010 at 05:35

I can't understand most of what they're saying, but I probably wouldn't mind seeing this. By the way, how does Mauri Pekkarinen mix into this?

He is the economic minister so i'm guessing he talks about how many records are sold by Finnish metal artists and how this is important to the economy. Also I think he explains why they are given tax breaks.
17.04.2010 - 11:44
Roro

Lol!

Hits total: 3749 | This month: 4