Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
24.03.2011 - 09:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 24.03.2011 at 09:30

I don´t mind clean female vocals as long as it doesn´t make the overall sound cheesy, fluffy and over-dramatic. good examples would be early Nightwish, Warlock, Crucified Barbara

as for harsh vocals, i genuinely don´t care as you can´t really distinguish between male and female harsh vocals that easily, think Dani Filth vs. Angela Gossow (Filth sounds more like a woman, Angela more like a man)

In my opinion Angela clearly sounds like a woman.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2011 - 14:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think she sounds like a woman, yes. When it's a more prolonged growl especially.

EDIT: Salome vocalist is really good I think. I might even check the band after this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.03.2011 - 14:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think she sounds because when we listen band we know whos he is if its be unknown band we would not know she's woman we would think and eb suprise about iut, mind tricks
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.03.2011 - 18:05
thehondo

Very few pull it off in the heavier genres. The Soporanos are best in the symphonic bands. Even then, to me only Simone Simmons is convincing. The best I've seen/heard: Angela Gossow, Doro Pesch, Magali Luyten, Lzzy Hale, and most recently Ida Haukland(Triosphere, also plays excellent bass), these gals are into the music. Not just eye candy.
----
No time like the present
24.03.2011 - 18:10
Yasmine

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2011 at 09:53

I don´t mind clean female vocals as long as it doesn´t make the overall sound cheesy, fluffy and over-dramatic. good examples would be early Nightwish, Warlock, Crucified Barbara

as for harsh vocals, i genuinely don´t care as you can´t really distinguish between male and female harsh vocals that easily, think Dani Filth vs. Angela Gossow (Filth sounds more like a woman, Angela more like a man)

Not at first, her drawn out rasp though does give it away, it's whispy.

Rachel from Sinister was hard to identify as female.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 07:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 18:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2011 at 09:53

Not at first, her drawn out rasp though does give it away, it's whispy.

Rachel from Sinister was hard to identify as female.

Angela I heard immediately she was a woman.
Rachel is indeed much harder to identify.
And Corinne van den Brand of Arcostichon is even harder to identify as a woman than Rachel
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2011 - 20:36
Berserker
Account deleted
I don´t like women singing in metal because most of the metal i've listen is about hate, evil, the dark side of life or simply getting laid, and i don't identify myself at all with the lyrics that most bands with female singers have. Not that i have a problem with women. I wish some male singers could even reach the harshness of Angela Gossow´s vocals.
15.04.2011 - 09:52
flickaa

No
15.04.2011 - 17:01
Evil Chip

Depends of the band. For example I really can't hear any of those cheesy clonic woman symphonic fronted bands, except for a few like a Nightwish. But I love The Gathering early works like Mandylion. I think it has a lot to do with the music aswell. And of course I'm not talking about growlings cause I pretty much don't care if it is a guy or a girl (I don't have rea<lly good ear with growlers).
15.04.2011 - 22:52
Yasmine

Basically reverse to me, symphonic singers are actual singers and i like em, growlers are not, and I don't like very many of them, nearly all of them sound the same to me even thought I like death and black metal, vocals are not what I like about them.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
16.04.2011 - 16:55
RavenKing

Written by Yasmine on 15.04.2011 at 22:52

Basically reverse to me, symphonic singers are actual singers and i like em, growlers are not, and I don't like very many of them, nearly all of them sound the same to me even thought I like death and black metal, vocals are not what I like about them.

You're saying this because you're not familiar enough with harsh vocals. Because when you get very used to harsh vocals, you see noticeable differences between vocalists. A few ones sound the same, of course, but many don't sound like each other at all once you're used to listen to harsh vocals regularly.

Also, many so-called symphonic singers only have way too high-pitched voices that sound whiny, out of tune and annoying as hell.
Though some of them are indeed great.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.04.2011 - 10:20
*MetalSlave*

Written by Paladin on 18.04.2010 at 01:12

I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.

It is pretty obvious that you have not listened to Cerebral Bore the Brutal Death Metal band from UK. The lead is a female and she does perfect gutturals and pig shrieks. I always thought their vocalist was a dude until few days back.
20.04.2011 - 10:58
Andre

Yeah, of course.

I like female vocals on metal. As long as they can hit the note they wish to hit.
Diverse as metal is, I think it's more of a variety enriching approach. Women in general, have proven capable pulling off some hard notches like their counterparts can do.
Way too many examples can be read from above post(s).
20.04.2011 - 12:16
terrorist

I don't.Not because they are women but most of them don't have attitude that SOME male singers have.Only one woman with the attitude in Metal is Angela Nathalie Gossow from Arch Enemy
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
20.04.2011 - 13:20
Yasmine

I don't see why they would need that, that has nothing to do with skill......lol
----
20.04.2011 - 13:24
JD
Account deleted
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

No, only maybe in 5 or 6 bands
20.04.2011 - 14:35
Andre

Written by Yasmine on 20.04.2011 at 13:20

I don't see why they would need that, that has nothing to do with skill......lol

Yeah.

But I think he was referring to stage-attitude. Sort of acting up to an image of what the music is representing.
20.04.2011 - 15:24
ColdRail

My favs are Alissa White-Gluz (she growls and sings clear), Grace Perry, Annlouice Loegdlund, Simone Simons and Floor Jansen
20.04.2011 - 17:04
terrorist

Written by Andre on 20.04.2011 at 14:35

Yeah.

But I think he was referring to stage-attitude. Sort of acting up to an image of what the music is representing.
Yes exactly.And lyrics is also important.For example there is one band called Hysterica and their attitude is "we are strong women, stonger and better than man" as i see it.You have to be above that shit whether it is a man or woman who sings or write lyrics.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
20.04.2011 - 19:00
Yasmine

Written by Andre on 20.04.2011 at 14:35

Yeah.

I don't even pay attention to that, and I'm not even about to try to act manily just cause I play metal. lol Just saying.
----
21.04.2011 - 06:07
Andre

Yeah, I get where you coming from Yasmine.
Although my point is on stage, I feel artists and performers are entitled to put up a show, hence take on forms and egos, if I may say so. You know?!

@ Terrorist: Is that a feminist-facist metal band? lol
21.04.2011 - 07:20
Yasmine

"we are strong women, stonger and better than man"

This statement is false by default, Testostrone > Estrogen. lol
----
24.04.2011 - 20:24
Oracle
Orcinus
I like some Symphonic metal bands with female singers such as Edenbridge, Nightwish and Epica.

I also like female vocalists in extreme bands such as,
Psychobolia
Putrefied Beauty
Mythic
Thorr's Hammer
Stigma[Cze]
Valhalla[Bra]
Opera IX
Astarte
Acrostichon
D.A.M.N.
Sinful Souls
24.04.2011 - 22:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by Oracle on 24.04.2011 at 20:24

Opera IX

I like Opera IX and there is Cadaveria i would like to add to your list.
25.04.2011 - 09:39
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Guest on 24.04.2011 at 22:38

Written by Oracle on 24.04.2011 at 20:24

Opera IX

I like Opera IX and there is Cadaveria i would like to add to your list.

Yeah Cadaveria is good too. Theres a few others i haven't mentioned yet.
25.04.2011 - 18:22
Guib
Thrash Talker
I don't mind female vocalist as long as it fits the music
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.04.2011 - 17:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.03.2011 at 13:16

Honestly though, I think female vocalists has no place in DEATH metal.

As the OP said, Female vocalists isn't just good enough on expressing the anger of death metal. I can't imagine a Female Vocalist covering a Suffocation song.

Thank you should check out Acrostichon. One of the very few bands I can stand the female vocalist. I am sure Corrine can easily cover a Suffocation song.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.04.2011 - 21:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.04.2011 at 17:57

I am sure Corrine can easily cover a Suffocation song.

i can guarantee anybody that he's not joking... Like, damn her vocals...Damn.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2011 - 04:19
xxVal

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.04.2011 at 21:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.04.2011 at 17:57

I am sure Corrine can easily cover a Suffocation song.

i can guarantee anybody that he's not joking... Like, damn her vocals...Damn.

Agreed!!! Her voice is amazing.

Being a female myself, i don't mean to be bias or anything. But women can't pull off Death Metal. They belong in a different category where they can pull off beautiful melodies and look pretty doing it. Yeah i just said that.
However, women can do anything man can. lol lol
----
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction..
23.09.2011 - 20:05
Night Sight

Written by Archetype on 19.04.2010 at 10:20

I find that I can really enjoy female vocals regardless of genre as long as the vocals suit the song and add to it rather than standing out like they don't belong.

agree with you .it dosen't matter what genre they are.it is important that the vocals fit the music.i listen to many bands with different genres that have female vocalists.melodic death metal with clean vocals like system divide,melodeath with harsh vocals like arch enemy.i also prefer female vocalists in genres like gothic/doom and symphony metal.for example i can't imagine draconian without lisa johanson or epica without simone
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight