Svart - Våran Tid Är Förbi review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

2 users:
Band: Svart
Album: Våran Tid Är Förbi
Style: Depressive black metal
Release date: April 2009

01. Den Absoluta Tomheten (The Absolute Emptiness)
02. Mot Dödens Slätter (Towards The Fields Of Death)
03. Dessa Kedjor, Dessa Bojor (These Chains, These Shackles)

Bonus tracks:
04. Ångest (Intro)
05. Då Allt Upphör (When Everything Ceases)
06. Ändlöst (Endless)
07. Låt Det Ske (Let It Happen)

Draug created Svart just a few years ago, in 2007 to be exact, with the intent of expressing his feelings to the world (or at least a very small portion of it) through the majesty of song. Bearing that in mind, there is more to this album than simple emotions. There is a great deal of atmosphere - a particularly daunting atmosphere at that - in addition to what can only be described as an emotional journey. But there are also significant weaknesses in the bones of this album's skeleton.

Våran Tid Är Förbi consists of three tracks that span just short of an hour, and judging by the English translations of the song titles, my guess is that Draug isn't the happiest Swede on the planet. His piercing shrieks and mournful howls set the tone for what will be some of the most burdensome 50 minutes you'll ever have to endure, and he does his best to bring it all back together with soothing, melancholic passages. These moments, however, are negated by the inclusion of K's relentless destruction of his drum kit, making for a temporarily headache-inducing listen as opposed to a truly gripping one. Just when Draug captures his audience in defeat, he lets them go to the repetition of unfitting blastbeats. The ultimate result of this song structure is an album that makes you want to kill yourself due as much to the lyrical content as the album's inconsistency.

All is not bad though. For starters, the album's track layout seems to be an interesting telling of a transitional emotional phase: "Den Absoluta Tomheten" appears to be the manifestation of Draug's anger, focusing more on the quick-paced instrumentation and relentless shrieks, while the hybrid "Mot Dödens Slätter" seems to be more of a segue before Draug is forced to submit to depression on "Dessa Kedjor, Dessa Bojor". And of course the daunting atmosphere must again be mentioned, which would have been far more powerful had Draug chosen to focus more on including the audience in his journey as opposed to wailing through his suffering alone.

While the concept of the album works stylistically, there doesn't seem to be enough conviction within each story to really help the listener along in the process. Unfortunately Våran Tid Är Förbi comes across as an individual voyage, one that Draug is undoubtedly proud of, but with the lack of consistency on this release, Svart has failed to venture into cathartic territory.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 21.04.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 101 users
21.04.2010 - 20:50
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Ah, judging by the picture of trees, sky and shit, this must be a black metal album! :O
21.04.2010 - 20:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.04.2010 at 20:50

Ah, judging by the picture of trees, sky and shit, this must be a black metal album! :O

A mix of depressive and atmospheric black metal to be exact. Good eye. haha
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.04.2010 - 20:56
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.04.2010 at 20:53

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.04.2010 at 20:50

A mix of depressive and atmospheric black metal to be exact. Good eye. haha

You know, if I ever made an album... I don't care how serious it would be; I would totally have a picture of a clown sitting on a cactus. People would look at it and couldn't ever guess what kind of music it is! I ain't no square.
21.04.2010 - 21:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.04.2010 at 20:56

You know, if I ever made an album... I don't care how serious it would be; I would totally have a picture of a clown sitting on a cactus. People would look at it and couldn't ever guess what kind of music it is! I ain't no square.

A clown sitting on a cactus? I would think it is sludge in the vein of Acid Bath cause they used the clown that was drawn by John Wayne Gacey
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2010 - 21:09
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I don't think Sweden needed another band in this vein of black metal. I'm getting tired of the scene coming from there tbh when everyone sounds like Shining and Lifelover and plays the same style of black metal.
21.04.2010 - 21:12
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.04.2010 at 21:06

A clown sitting on a cactus? I would think it is sludge in the vein of Acid Bath cause they used the clown that was drawn by John Wayne Gacey

I bet you'd be surprised that it'd not be sludge when you listen to it, huh? XD Besides... My clown would be really goofy looking... John Wayne Gacey was no joking matter. Ok, I take that back. I bet you could make some good clown-related jokes about him.
21.04.2010 - 21:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by spirit_inblack on 21.04.2010 at 21:09

I don't think Sweden needed another band in this vein of black metal. I'm getting tired of the scene coming from there tbh when everyone sounds like Shining and Lifelover and plays the same style of black metal.

While I do agree that too many bands incorporate Shining-esque elements into their sound (don't think there are that many full-blown copycats), I can't think of any Lifelover-esque bands off the top of my head... I think they're still rather unique.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.04.2010 - 21:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by spirit_inblack on 21.04.2010 at 21:09

I definitely agree; it's fast becoming overdone. For the time being Shining remains uncontested in my opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.04.2010 - 21:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Lucas on 21.04.2010 at 21:14

I can't think of any Lifelover-esque bands off the top of my head... I think they're still rather unique.

Of course no bands try to sound like them. Who would want to sound shit anyway? Besides Lifelover that is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2010 - 21:21
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I guess I was being too specific and what I should have said was that there are too many crappy depressive bands from there that have a rock and roll influence in the music. The imagery is more of what I meant. Apati and Sancta Poenas are rather like Lifelover, and Woods Of Infinity could be counted as being similar. It's all these bands, like Hypothermia, for example, that I'm not a particularly big fan of.
21.04.2010 - 21:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by spirit_inblack on 21.04.2010 at 21:21

I guess I was being too specific and what I should have said was that there are too many crappy depressive bands from there that have a rock and roll influence in the music.

Svart are much less rock-inspired than Shining wannabes and sound more like Gris and Austere to me.
----
21.04.2010 - 21:34
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Yeah, I saw that you mentioned the atmosphere, which usually gets me interested in something, but the depressive element would probably ruin it for me. Not saying he's a wannabee, it just reminded me of all the related bands from Sweden, and I haven't even listened to the music, so ultimately my opinion doesn't even hold much weight here lol.
22.04.2010 - 04:38
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
You write good reviews, keep up the solid work. I wish my reviews would be posted on the front page, they get so many more views.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln

Hits total: 4109 | This month: 7