Metal Storm logo
Your musical taste of future

22.04.2010 - 20:56
Kennoth
Well, my musical taste is ever changing. Just few months ago, some of the awesome bands I really like today like Scar Symmetry, I didn't even know of. In a few months from now, I will probably discover few more bands that I like as well (given the fact that I'm VERY picky about music)

So, to cut things short: how do you see your musical taste in about 10 years from now? Will you still listen to metal? If yes, what kind? What kind of bands will you discover and like? I know there is no sure way of knowing this, but I just want to see what you all think, and how experimental do you think you will be.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
23.04.2010 - 02:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Its really hard to say what a person's musical tastes will be in the future, don't you think? None of us can predict the future..
23.04.2010 - 03:00
Got Mayhem?
I think that if I knew what bands I'd be listening to in the future I'd be looking them up right now.
----
23.04.2010 - 03:21
Richard
elite
I will probably still be listening to Metal in 10 years time. I think one's musical taste is often set in their late teens. I'm 34, and I still listen to many albums that I liked when I was a teenager - many of my favourite albums now are those I was listening to back then. Certain albums have a timeless appeal, and of course also may have a certain nostalgic appeal as well.

There will always be new bands and new sub-genres emerging which capture your interest, and it will be interesting to hear in 10 years time if there are any new sub-genres that have broken new ground musically. There will probably also be another retro revival, as every several years there tends to be bands playing in an older style.
----
23.04.2010 - 03:24
Jiri
I do not know. I am not psychic.
23.04.2010 - 03:34
I_Die_Often
The way my music tastes are progressing, I assume I will continue digress to even harsher, darker more extreme metal.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.04.2010 - 03:40
Zuzuz0r
In 10 years? Will be hard to explain, I've been listening to Metal since I was like 13, or to be more precise, I started to care about music since that age(before, I just cared about videogames and watching cartoons or whatever), and well, during that time, my taste inside metal(as well as music in general) has "evolved" or changed a lot from what I listened when I was 14 or 15, at that age, my taste in metal and music in general(in my Last.FM account, there are still bands that I don't listen to anymore in the lists), was more focused on Heavy/Power Metal, Hard/Classic Rock(though, I'm STILL a big lover of bands like Pink Floyd or The Who), Female Fronted Metal and some mainstream rock bands, and some time later started to listen to Melodic Death Metal bands. Nowadays(or since late 16's and 17) my taste focuses more on Black Metal(Atmospheric, Avant-Garde/Experimental), Prog Rock/Metal, some Doom Metal(more focused in Doom/Death and Funeral Doom), Post-Rock, some Shoegaze and some Post-Punk bands and all that.

So, what I search in music, is something that makes me feel motivated to search more, maybe in 10 years my tastes won't change that much like it did from 14 to 18, since I feel I have estabilished my tastes, and maybe in 10 years I'll have less time to search for music, because probably I'll be working in stuff related to my career. Will I still listen to Metal? I think yes, what kind of bands will I discover and like? I don't know, maybe I'll discover bands that will continue to mark something in my musical history.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
23.04.2010 - 03:44
Got Mayhem?
Rethinking a bit, I can safely say that I'm always up for the newest, most extreme death/black/thrash band on the scene. I'm interested to see if another genre pops up in the coming decade that isn't just a stripped down bastardization of another genre (I'm looking at you deathcore).
----
23.04.2010 - 03:47
bkrownd
I was all metal and hardcore in high school and undergrad, through the 80's until about 1994. Then metal went into a serious downward funk and my interests wandered. I was really into Early Music (early renaissance through baroque music, basically) and the experimental/IDM side of 'electronica' through the 1990's to 2002. Then around 2000 I started using eBay to get all the thrash/speed metal stuff I could never get locally in the 1980's, and that got me back into metal. I don't buy much new metal, though. Mostly The Metal Oldies, still. I don't have any current musical interests outside of metal...something new and interesting would have to pop up. Not sure if that'll happen, though I occasionally hear something from outside of the US (africa, scandinavia, lebanon, etc) that's momentarily interesting. It's possible I'm just too old to get into any new stuff now.
23.04.2010 - 04:03
adean_bllzr
It´s difficult to forget the music wich has grown with yourself so, probabily, I´ll listen metal for the rest of my days
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
23.04.2010 - 04:10
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I don't have foresight, but I do have hindsight. Back in 2006, the only depressive black metal band I knew of was Xasthur. Now I'm knee-deep in the genre. I have no idea what I'll be listening to 10 years from now. The only thing I do know is that it'll be something metal-related.
23.04.2010 - 19:02
SerratedSyringe
Judging by how my taste has progressed thus far, in ten years I'll be listening to nothing but chainsaws and machine guns.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
23.04.2010 - 20:49
Kennoth
I agree with Richard saying that your musical taste is usually set in late teens. Well, I'm in my late teens as we speak, and I've been through hip-hop faze, and rock faze, and I indeed believe that metal is here to stay. However, looking only year back, or two, it's amazing how my taste keeps changing rapidly. I was all into nu-metal back then, so now I've started listening to melodeath and metalcore (only a few bands).

Ten years is a long time, but I believe I will still listen to metal. What kind? I can't tell, but I think that I will already pass the faze where I listen to the extremest stuff (haven't gotten there yet ) by that time, and maybe I even give some older metal/rock songs a try. (I only listen to stuff from the 90s and beyond)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
23.04.2010 - 23:05
Edmund Fogg
I have been listening to Metal since High School and I know I<m only scratching the surface in that musical style.I<m still discovering bands and subgenres on a daily basis.Maybe in 10 years we no longer would need MP3s and just think of a band to listen to it.One thingh for sure I<ll still be a Metalhead.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
26.04.2010 - 03:32
Richard
elite
Written by Kennoth on 23.04.2010 at 20:49

I agree with Richard saying that your musical taste is usually set in late teens. Well, I'm in my late teens as we speak, and I've been through hip-hop faze, and rock faze, and I indeed believe that metal is here to stay. However, looking only year back, or two, it's amazing how my taste keeps changing rapidly. I was all into nu-metal back then, so now I've started listening to melodeath and metalcore (only a few bands).

Ten years is a long time, but I believe I will still listen to metal. What kind? I can't tell, but I think that I will already pass the faze where I listen to the extremest stuff (haven't gotten there yet ) by that time, and maybe I even give some older metal/rock songs a try. (I only listen to stuff from the 90s and beyond)

Yeah, if you do stick with Metal, then I think you'll probably check out the earlier stuff as well at some point. At some stage, it's natural to be interested in the older bands, because of their influence. That's how it happened with me with Black Sabbath, for instance.
----
26.04.2010 - 03:36
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The Future? I can guess it won't be metal. Metal has done wonders for me in terms of isolation and introspection, but I can't be doing that forever. I may need happier music for an outgoing life
----
Coldgrits
26.04.2010 - 04:58
adean_bllzr
Written by -DC-002- on 26.04.2010 at 03:36

The Future? I can guess it won't be metal. Metal has done wonders for me in terms of isolation and introspection, but I can't be doing that forever. I may need happier music for an outgoing life

You can find "happy" music in metal as well: lyrics, melodies, rythms etc......metal is not only isolation and introspection as you have mentioned.

Every person is a different world but I think you can try with differents metal threads
----
Novembers Doom
26.04.2010 - 07:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
In ten years I'll probably be too old and deaf to listen to anything! I think I'll have to put a tiny subwoofer in my hearing aid
26.04.2010 - 11:23
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by adean_bllzr on 26.04.2010 at 04:58

You can find "happy" music in metal as well: lyrics, melodies, rythms etc......metal is not only isolation and introspection as you have mentioned.

Every person is a different world but I think you can try with differents metal threads

Of course you can. What I mean is kinda like, When changing an environment all sorts of activities added or taken away from it will effect it in a different way. Depending on the person.
----
Coldgrits
26.04.2010 - 13:03
adean_bllzr
Written by -DC-002- on 26.04.2010 at 11:23

Written by adean_bllzr on 26.04.2010 at 04:58

Depending on the person.

That´s it, definetly
----
Novembers Doom
02.05.2010 - 13:47
Saitenhexerin
I was listening to metal 10 years ago, so I will probably still be listening to metal in 10 years from now. Or I'll be deaf as a piece of wood.
But what kind of metal? If I knew, I would be inventing the new styles already!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
02.05.2010 - 13:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 23.04.2010 at 03:21

I will probably still be listening to Metal in 10 years time. I think one's musical taste is often set in their late teens. I'm 34, and I still listen to many albums that I liked when I was a teenager - many of my favourite albums now are those I was listening to back then. Certain albums have a timeless appeal, and of course also may have a certain nostalgic appeal as well.

There will always be new bands and new sub-genres emerging which capture your interest, and it will be interesting to hear in 10 years time if there are any new sub-genres that have broken new ground musically. There will probably also be another retro revival, as every several years there tends to be bands playing in an older style.

For your generation is easyer, you grove up whit muisc when it was young, I shood dig in MA and i net try hear all those good albums what nowdays are hard to get even download , and I prefere your time muisc more how new metal(NOT NU but new bands , albums)
I like albums from past, HM, DM, BM, TM, SP, GM , DOOM

For me I cant asnever to this quasten , so far there have been some changes , I dont like power metal anymore, I strat like bands what I didnt like at age 16 but 90% I havent change taste since 16-18 , only i discovere much more bands how I know beck then, I think I will listen metaltill I die , I also like jazz, blues, folk, country, accustic but metal takes moust my time .... I only hope ivan will ahve some kids who continue work whit site when he will eb old and cant do it anymore, I wanna spend my last hours at age 100 in this site
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.05.2010 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Well, I listened to metal 30 years ago so I am 100% sure I will still be listening to metal in 10 - 20 - 30 years, life permitting of course
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.05.2010 - 01:46
Richard
elite
Written by Bad English on 02.05.2010 at 13:56

I only hope ivan will ahve some kids who continue work whit site when he will eb old and cant do it anymore, I wanna spend my last hours at age 100 in this site

Haha, I never thought of that... It would be nice if Metal Storm was continued by Ivan's children and grandchildren!

Then again, kids often naturally rebel against their parents, so maybe 'Ivan Junior' would start up 'Techno Storm' or something instead..!
----
03.05.2010 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 03.05.2010 at 01:46

Written by Bad English on 02.05.2010 at 13:56

I only hope ivan will ahve some kids who continue work whit site when he will eb old and cant do it anymore, I wanna spend my last hours at age 100 in this site

Haha, I never thought of that... It would be nice if Metal Storm was continued by Ivan's children and grandchildren!

Then again, kids often naturally rebel against their parents, so maybe 'Ivan Junior' would start up 'Techno Storm' or something instead..!

I agree but there is example like Furnealpolis and his dad One Step/or foot In Hell and both are members of site.

But I would love rest n enjoy pension years here in site, because I ahve no plans to leave....but than who knows what progress tecnology made, maybe we only can talk our posts and PC type it self and also read it we need ony hear it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2010 - 04:21
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Black metal...always.
06.05.2010 - 09:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Richard on 03.05.2010 at 01:46

personally, I cannot wait for RagtimeStorm.net
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2010 - 14:00
busta5000
Account deleted
I listened to every kind of genre

Pop
rock
pop rock
punk rock
hard rock
smooth
relax
classical music
reggie
clean rap
dirty rap
R N B
Musical
Dance
Disco
hip hop
latin
country
Blues
Alternative
soundtracks
even religious!!!

16.10.2010 - 03:36
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Well it's been sixteen years I'm listening to metal, and in ten, twenty, etc, I'll most certainly still do.
Probably differently, not in the same proportions, compared to other musical genres, seeing how my tastes evolve and widen. I still don't like rap & hip-hop, but I don't hate it anymore. I'm istening to bits of prog rock, dubstep, electronica, now. So, for that part, I really can't say. What is sure is that it'll be music that make me FEEL something.
Written by Richard on 23.04.2010 at 03:21

I will probably still be listening to Metal in 10 years time. I think one's musical taste is often set in their late teens. I'm 34, and I still listen to many albums that I liked when I was a teenager - many of my favourite albums now are those I was listening to back then.

I can agree with the basics - I discovered metal in my teens - but not more. Life is change (to me at least), and I love to see my musical tastes evolve. I indeed love to genuinely surprise myself by loving some stuff I would have dismissed in seconds when I was a teenager.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.10.2010 - 14:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Nice thread but only a few people can say for sure what their music future will be, only the older ones.

as for me i started my music journey at 12-13 with rock (many kinds) and a few pop and never changed (a lot) my preferences till i started discovering metal. i listen to that only for 4-5 years (a very small period comparing with most people here) but i really love it and i WANT to keep on listening to it for my entire life. so even rock or metal i guess i'll be here... And as some people said i keep on discovering new bands and albums that make me say i'll never stop listening to metal. on the other hand it may stop happening that often at some time and i may be discouraged a bit. but thank god there are some new bands who "come from nowhere" most times and make you feel that qualitative new albums will always be released...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!