Metal Storm logo
Canadian Metalstormers

Original post

Posted by Almighty Ent, 17.05.2006 - 17:35
Go Canada .......... This thread should replace the old one. So, where are all the Canadians at ?
25.04.2011 - 19:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 19:31

I do have a quick question for you all. There is a long long story behind this but within the next 5 years I do plan on moving to Canada.
I have no clue where I should go though. Here are some things about me, I do need you to fit me into a city.

-Metal head of course
-Big pot head
-Like the city
-I am a tattoo artist
-married

1) Metalhead? Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver.
2) Big Pot Head? Basically anywhere. Vancouver most likely.
3) City?
Vancouver is beautiful, somewhat condensed, but a really nice place (aside from East Hastings, which is one of the worst slums in Canada, apparently. Stumbled through it once at 1am last summer, scared the shit out of me).
Calgary is really, really spaced out. Big city and it's growing rapidly. Doesn't really have much of a big city feel to it due to the fact it's not very dense at all. You can walk from one end of the downtown core to the other in about an hour, tops.
Toronto is one of those endless concrete jungles surrounded by small-city like communities. It's an exciting place, I like it.
Montreal is great for it's arts type side. Most European-like Canadian city apparently. Speaking French isn't a requirement to live in that city, but it sure makes it a little more comfortable. My brother lives in Montreal, and from what he's told me, your french requirements all depend on the neighbourhood you're in.
Saskatoon is probably one of the cheapest places to live in Canada, for a good reason. It's boring as all hell, the winters are ridiculously cold, and you can watch your dog run away for two weeks. No one in their right mind lives in Saskatchewan or Manitoba by choice.

I can't really tell you much about Ottawa, or anything east of Montreal.

4) Tattoo artist? Then I imagine your looking for a less conservative city, one that has more support for it's arts scene. In that case, I'd reccommend Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal.

By what I can see about you, Vancouver looks like your type of city. The only problem is the cost of living there is (last time I checked), the most expensive in Canada.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.04.2011 - 20:26
MetalSpider
Doc Godin pretty much nailed it.

I've never been to Vancouver (although my dad has and said its a really nice place), Calgary or Saskatoon or anything east coast. I live in the Toronto area (20 minutes outside Toronto in Mississauga...big place). I like Toronto, it's quite a busy and exciting place. Lots to do and lots to see. There are quite a good amount of tattoo parlours in and around Toronto. I got my tattoo and will get my next one in a town called Oakville, which is about 20-30 min outside of Toronto (the place is called Way Cool Tattoos).

Montreal is really a nice city...speaking french doesn't really matter much (I don't speak french at all, but Ive been to montreal at least 3-4 times). It wouldn't hurt to learn a bit of french if you plan on living there. Montreal is much more exciting than Toronto...especially the nightlife...its crazy. And as far as I know, it has a good metal scene like Toronto.

Ottawa, I've only been to once, but from what I remember its a bit like Montreal. Dont know about tattoo parlors there or in Montreal for that matter, but Im sure there are quite a few.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
25.04.2011 - 23:14
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I have been looking into Montreal. I do not mind learning some French if not it all.
26.04.2011 - 01:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 23:14

I have been looking into Montreal. I do not mind learning some French if not it all.

You'd LOVE it here (Kingston). The main drawback for you is that it only has 125k people - most of which are Queen's students. But the tattoo scene is ever-growing here, the metal (ya, and the ska/hardcore/deathcore) scenes are big (considering the city's population), we've got a relatively active downtown core which is located right by the waterfront (being Lake Ontario)... I can't speak for the night life, as I don't have one, but from what I hear it's decent (nothing great though). We have some typical "nice" restaurants and shithole pubs.

Oh ya. Pot's pretty big-time here too.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2011 - 03:27
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I need to just make a week trip out there sometime and see it all.
26.04.2011 - 03:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.04.2011 at 03:27

Well, by the sounds of it, you'll want to stick with Ontario - whether it be the big-city life in Toronto, Toronto's ugly step-sister Ottawa, or a smaller city like Kingston (just avoid the northern small cities like Sudbury, and the south-western cities like Sault St. Marie).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2011 - 08:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Calgary is good if you're in the trades, not for much else though. Especially for any type of art-driven industry.
----
- George Carlin
27.04.2011 - 02:39
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I just need a more liberal city. Tired of the snobs and religious freaks.
27.04.2011 - 18:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah. Stay the fuck out of Calgary for sure then.
----
- George Carlin
29.04.2011 - 01:41
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 27.04.2011 at 02:39

I just need a more liberal city. Tired of the snobs and religious freaks.

One thing, forget about Ottawa I live right next to it in Gatineau (QC) and the metal heads Suck ass... the crowd is simply boring, probly cause most of Ottawa's population are programmers and ppl working for the government LOL.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.05.2011 - 07:24
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Well, it looks like Canada is going to suck for the next 4 years...
03.05.2011 - 09:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Fuck man... how is that even fucking possible, Conservative for the majority ? I mean WHAT ? you gotta be fucking shitting me....
I'm glad for the NPD but so annoyed by this conservative win. Fuck the west man
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.05.2011 - 01:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guib on 03.05.2011 at 09:56

Fuck man... how is that even fucking possible, Conservative for the majority ? I mean WHAT ? you gotta be fucking shitting me....

Apologies. All people give a shit about over here is oil. Conservatives cater to that.

Proud to say I was born and raised in the east.
----
- George Carlin
05.05.2011 - 22:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 04.05.2011 at 01:28

Written by Guib on 03.05.2011 at 09:56

Apologies. All people give a shit about over here is oil. Conservatives cater to that.

Proud to say I was born and raised in the east.

Yeah Im proud aswell, fuck Alberta, Saskatchewan and part of BC... cos some of them are cool
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.05.2011 - 07:55
Hylia
Written by Guest on 26.04.2011 at 03:27

I would say if you intend on moving to Canada I would move to a smaller city close to a major city. Right now I am living about 2 hours away from Toronto, Ontario, but I find the main cities to be too filthy to live in. Plus here you can always take the train/bus to a major city for concerts.
22.08.2011 - 18:31
ß
Problem?
Jack Layton has passed away after his long hard fought battle with Prostate Cancer Globe and Mail
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
22.08.2011 - 18:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ß on 22.08.2011 at 18:31
Jack Layton has passed away after his long hard fought battle with Prostate Cancer

Just heard the news earlier today...thought some people on Facebook were trolling but I guess it's legit. That's too bad.
----
22.08.2011 - 19:09
Slayer666
You guys are lucky to have had at least one politician you didn't want dead.
23.08.2011 - 07:04
MetalSpider
Written by ß on 22.08.2011 at 18:31

Jack Layton has passed away after his long hard fought battle with Prostate Cancer Globe and Mail

It was all over the news. That's a shame. He was actually a good politician (whether you agreed with his and his parties policies or not) and really a just an outstanding person in general.

RIP
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
23.08.2011 - 07:18
rekkuza-
Dear man, Layton. He tried so freaking hard to become prime minister. How could we forget that he even tried to secure the young vote by making a MuchMusic appearance a few years back? Even if one doesn't agree with his politics, one has to admire his dedication and perseverance to his career. I am sure he could have been a great prime minister, just based on his unyielding patriotism to Canada. I hope he rests in peace.

Written by Slayer666 on 22.08.2011 at 19:09

You guys are lucky to have had at least one politician you didn't want dead.

Haha, . Politics really sucks, doesn't it? It pisses me off to know end.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
23.08.2011 - 08:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
RIP Jack Layton.

I've voted in 3 federal elections, each time, he had my vote. He will be sorely missed.

Hopefully his wife takes up the helm. Not sure I totally trust Nycole Turmel yet...
----
- George Carlin
03.09.2011 - 10:06
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
It's really too bad that Jack Layton had to go. I think he would have made a great prime minister for Canada, I always thought of him as a modern day Pierre Trudeau.
07.09.2011 - 04:20
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Doc G. on 25.04.2011 at 19:53

Montreal is great for it's arts type side. Most European-like Canadian city apparently. Speaking French isn't a requirement to live in that city, but it sure makes it a little more comfortable. My brother lives in Montreal, and from what he's told me, your french requirements all depend on the neighbourhood you're in.

I used to think Montreal was pretty European-like until I moved to Quebec City. The old city is really something to behold.
07.09.2011 - 04:21
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Bloody Rain on 03.09.2011 at 10:06

It's really too bad that Jack Layton had to go. I think he would have made a great prime minister for Canada, I always thought of him as a modern day Pierre Trudeau.

As in you thought Jack Layton was a modern day liar, hypocrite, backstabber?
07.09.2011 - 10:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by SilentScream on 07.09.2011 at 04:21

I hope that's not a bash against Layton. As for Pierre Trudeau, I have no opinions one way or another of him, as I wasn't present during his reign, but I don't respect the Liberal party very much. In theory, they should be the center, but in practice they've proven to be inconsistent, basically siding with the winning side 90% of the time.
----
- George Carlin
08.09.2011 - 08:14
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Doc G. on 07.09.2011 at 10:32

Written by SilentScream on 07.09.2011 at 04:21

I hope that's not a bash against Layton. As for Pierre Trudeau, I have no opinions one way or another of him, as I wasn't present during his reign, but I don't respect the Liberal party very much. In theory, they should be the center, but in practice they've proven to be inconsistent, basically siding with the winning side 90% of the time.

No, I just don't consider saying that Layton could have been ''a modern day Trudeau'' is very flattering. Comparing someone to Trudeau seems to me an insult.

To give you an idea : he was such a hypocrite and a liar, that Quebec has not once since Trudeau elected a majority of Liberals.
09.09.2011 - 07:42
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by SilentScream on 08.09.2011 at 08:14

No, I just don't consider saying that Layton could have been ''a modern day Trudeau'' is very flattering. Comparing someone to Trudeau seems to me an insult.

To give you an idea : he was such a hypocrite and a liar, that Quebec has not once since Trudeau elected a majority of Liberals.

Perhaps I should elaborate a little more on what I meant.

I understand that Trudeau is not the most popular prime minister we've ever had (especially for my fellow Canadians residing in Quebec and here in the west) and even I don't agree with everything he did. Now I obviously wasn't alive during Trudeau's reign so I can't speak from experience but based on what I have learned about the man it seems to me that he had similar ideas and similar attitudes towards Canada as Jack Layton, and also a similar sort of charisma. When I made that observation, that's what I was referring to.

I'll admit my ignorance with my comment, but hopefully you understand what I meant by it.
10.10.2011 - 23:22
ß
Problem?
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
11.10.2011 - 05:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ß on 10.10.2011 at 23:22
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/06/landlords-face-no-punishment-for-discrimination-in-online-ads/ What does everyone think?

Fucking bullshit is what I think. Not because I discriminate against Muslims or think everyone from the Middle East and the "Stan" countries are terrorists or whatever... But I'm pretty sure when people say WHITES ONLY, shit gets serious.

Hypocrites governed by chaos, what does it matter.
----
12.10.2011 - 00:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Typical bullshit. This really doesn't surprise me at all.
----
- George Carlin