Metal Storm logo
Best melodic death metal albums that NEVER get old

Original post

Posted by dieforopeth00, 05.05.2010 - 06:10
Hey everyone just tell me your favorite melodic death metal albums that you can never, ever stop listening to. It can even be a little metal core, but not the metalcore that claims they have melodic death metal influences like KSE or something like that Mine are:

In Flames: Lunar Strain, The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, (or course the old in flames)

Scar Symmetry: Symmetric In Design, Pitch Black Progress, Holographic Universe

Fear My Thoughts: Vulcanus, Hell Sweet Hell

Shadows Fall: The Art Of Balance, The War Within, most of Of One Blood

At The Gates: Slaughter of the Soul, Terminal Spirit Disease

Soilwork: The Chainheart Machine, Natural Born Chaos, Figure Number Five

Opeth: Their whole discography of course

Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

Kalmah: They Will Return

Katatonia: Night is the new day (though not death metal obviously anymore, still melodic metal)

Darkest Hour: Deliver Us

Dark Tranquillity: The Gallery, Damage Done

Mnemic: Mechanical Spin Phenomenom, The Audio Inject Soul

Arsis: We Are The Nightmare

Adversary: Singularity

The Human Abstract: Nocturne

Disillusion: Back to Times of Splendor

Into Eternity: Scattering of Ashes, Buried In Oblivion, The Incurable Tradegy
16.03.2014 - 16:37
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by wesbernhardt on 13.03.2014 at 06:37
People throw Kalmah off as a CoB copycat

I'm one of those who don't understand why Kalmah has been labeled as CoB copycats.. Sounds nothing alike to my ears! Even though I'm tired of the genre, Swamplord and The Black Waltz kicks some major ass \,,/
19.03.2014 - 22:01
Mattybu

Calling Kalmah a CoB copycat is like calling a 50 cal sniper rifle a copycat of a pellet gun...
20.03.2014 - 04:32
Mattybu

I would still go that far, CoB has novelty value on the basis that the guitar work is very lively and it sounds like they were just running free back in the early days, but their catalog is marred with awful bullshit albums. People like them because it is metal music structured for mass appeal. They tuned that mass appeal aspect in more and more over the years and lost the crazy guitar antics which is the part I like about them anyways. The "soul" of their music was in that wild playing for me. Kalmah has had kick from day 1.

I'd go into genre bullshit but that never ends well... I saw Kalmah labeled as "ultra flowery european power metal" at a record store before......
20.03.2014 - 17:23
Mattybu

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then, I don't think the keyboards really do that.... I think the appeal is more in the songwriting, and CoB has extra appeal to the edgy teen crowd through the lyrics and merchandising.
20.03.2014 - 20:38
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by deadone on 18.03.2014 at 03:24

Written by Fallen Ghost on 16.03.2014 at 16:37

Written by wesbernhardt on 13.03.2014 at 06:37
People throw Kalmah off as a CoB copycat

I'm one of those who don't understand why Kalmah has been labeled as CoB copycats.. Sounds nothing alike to my ears! Even though I'm tired of the genre, Swamplord and The Black Waltz kicks some major ass \,,/

I suspect it's cause CoB pioneered the whole Finnish keyboard driven extreme power metal thing.

I agree that the two don't sound alike but to a lay person they probably do.

That may be true, but still it's weird that one can say they are alike just because of that.. It's like.. Two different worlds