‹‹ Back to the Melodic metal forum Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Users visited: 461  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by dieforopeth00 on 05.05.2010 at 06:10
Hey everyone just tell me your favorite melodic death metal albums that you can never, ever stop listening to. It can even be a little metal core, but not the metalcore that claims they have melodic death metal influences like KSE or something like that Mine are:

In Flames: Lunar Strain, The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, (or course the old in flames)

Scar Symmetry: Symmetric In Design, Pitch Black Progress, Holographic Universe

Fear My Thoughts: Vulcanus, Hell Sweet Hell

Shadows Fall: The Art Of Balance, The War Within, most of Of One Blood

At The Gates: Slaughter of the Soul, Terminal Spirit Disease

Soilwork: The Chainheart Machine, Natural Born Chaos, Figure Number Five

Opeth: Their whole discography of course

Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder

Kalmah: They Will Return

Katatonia: Night is the new day (though not death metal obviously anymore, still melodic metal)

Darkest Hour: Deliver Us

Dark Tranquillity: The Gallery, Damage Done

Mnemic: Mechanical Spin Phenomenom, The Audio Inject Soul

Arsis: We Are The Nightmare

Adversary: Singularity

The Human Abstract: Nocturne

Disillusion: Back to Times of Splendor

Into Eternity: Scattering of Ashes, Buried In Oblivion, The Incurable Tradegy

Page 4 of 4

Fallen Ghost
Proghead

16.03.2014 at 16:37
Written by wesbernhardt on 13.03.2014 at 06:37
People throw Kalmah off as a CoB copycat

I'm one of those who don't understand why Kalmah has been labeled as CoB copycats.. Sounds nothing alike to my ears! Even though I'm tired of the genre, Swamplord and The Black Waltz kicks some major ass \,,/
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
deadone
Mainstream Poser

18.03.2014 at 03:24
Written by Fallen Ghost on 16.03.2014 at 16:37

I'm one of those who don't understand why Kalmah has been labeled as CoB copycats.. Sounds nothing alike to my ears! Even though I'm tired of the genre, Swamplord and The Black Waltz kicks some major ass \,,/

I suspect it's cause CoB pioneered the whole Finnish keyboard driven extreme power metal thing.

I agree that the two don't sound alike but to a lay person they probably do.
Mattybu
#Kony2012

19.03.2014 at 22:01
Calling Kalmah a CoB copycat is like calling a 50 cal sniper rifle a copycat of a pellet gun...
deadone
Mainstream Poser

20.03.2014 at 03:04
Written by Mattybu on 19.03.2014 at 22:01

Calling Kalmah a CoB copycat is like calling a 50 cal sniper rifle a copycat of a pellet gun...

Dunno if I'd go that far.

Maybe 7.62mm HK417 as opposed to 5.56mm HK416?

Kalmah took the basic premise and added some more ooomph into the mix (just like HK417 is an upgunned version of HK416).

I'd leave the 50 cal sniper rifle v pellet gun comparison for Cannibal Corpse/Skinless v Sonata Artica or Within Temptation. Actually those bands are equivalent to cheap nasty water pistols from the discount store.
Mattybu
#Kony2012

20.03.2014 at 04:32
I would still go that far, CoB has novelty value on the basis that the guitar work is very lively and it sounds like they were just running free back in the early days, but their catalog is marred with awful bullshit albums. People like them because it is metal music structured for mass appeal. They tuned that mass appeal aspect in more and more over the years and lost the crazy guitar antics which is the part I like about them anyways. The "soul" of their music was in that wild playing for me. Kalmah has had kick from day 1.

I'd go into genre bullshit but that never ends well... I saw Kalmah labeled as "ultra flowery european power metal" at a record store before......
deadone
Mainstream Poser

20.03.2014 at 07:01
Actually I find any of this layered in keyboard stuff to be mass appeal. It adds a polished melodic sheen that glosses over any rawness. Kalmah is no different here - and I think Black Waltz is a superb album.
Mattybu
#Kony2012

20.03.2014 at 17:23
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then, I don't think the keyboards really do that.... I think the appeal is more in the songwriting, and CoB has extra appeal to the edgy teen crowd through the lyrics and merchandising.
Fallen Ghost
Proghead

20.03.2014 at 20:38
Written by deadone on 18.03.2014 at 03:24

Written by Fallen Ghost on 16.03.2014 at 16:37

I suspect it's cause CoB pioneered the whole Finnish keyboard driven extreme power metal thing.

I agree that the two don't sound alike but to a lay person they probably do.

That may be true, but still it's weird that one can say they are alike just because of that.. It's like.. Two different worlds
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
deadone
Mainstream Poser

21.03.2014 at 00:10
Written by Mattybu on 20.03.2014 at 17:23

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then, I don't think the keyboards really do that.... I think the appeal is more in the songwriting, and CoB has extra appeal to the edgy teen crowd through the lyrics and merchandising.

Actually I think keyboards in general gives most metal a commercial sheen as it takes away a lot of the abrasiveness of the genre.

Even stuff like Cradle of Filth becomes far less accessible if you remove the keyboards.

I do listen to stuff with keyboards so it's not a criticism.

As for lyrics- COB seldom publish their's because even Alexi Laiho has admitted they're not that great.

I've never actually read any of them either and I've been into CoB since Hatebreeder came out!

I actually think most continental European bands write rubbish lyrics so don't bother with them (exceptions do exist). The Gothenberg stuff comes along as quite emo a lot of the time or completely inane and pointless.

But the music is/was good.

Anyway a list of my MDM albums/bands that never get old:

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thundergod

Arch Enemy - Stigmata and Burning Bridges

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease, Slaughter of the Soul

Carcass

Children of Bodom - Something Wild, Hatebreeder

Darkane - Insanity and Layer of Lies

Dark Tranquillity

Edge of Sanity

Hatesphere - Bloodred Hatred (Thrashy MDM or MDM-y Thrash)

In Flames - up to and including Colony.

Kalmah - Black Waltz

Nosce Teipsum - The Human Condition (gets old school Deathy a bit but still melodic)

Opeth - up to and including Blackwater Park (their Death Metal stuff was always more melodic)

Shadows Fall - Of One Blood

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

The Haunted - Up to and including Revolver (more Thrashy MDM)

Zero Degrees Freedom - Calom Before The Silence

Stuff like Carnal Forge, Heaven Shall Burn, The Crown, Ebony Tears is worth a spin every now and then but it certainly doesn't get the juices flowing as the above lot.
Paw!!

13.04.2014 at 13:51
I always think the best is AA album.:Surtur Rising

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Login or register to post here.