Finland
Detest Records, limited edition

Line-up on the cassette:
Jussi Rajala - vocals
Rami Simelius - guitar
Ville Virtanen - guitar
Tommi Sookari - bass
Jesse Toivonen - drums

Stench Of Decay is a Finnish death metal band formed in 2004 by bassist Tommi Sookari and guitarist Rami Simelius. They released a demo independently a few years ago in order to gain label interest, and the result was a contract with Detest Records. Over the years the band members worked on new material, leading to this follow-up demo in 2009.

And not much has changed since their first release. They stick to their guns by playing a simple death metal sound, providing us with their answer to Cannibal Corpse's Eaten Back To Life, which, at the end of the day, isn't really a bad thing. It's just nothing new. At times there are nice catchy leads and satisfying riffs, but overall there isn't anything on this demo that hasn't been played before. The guitars are crunchy, the drumming is technically sound, and the vocals are beastly without crossing into brutal death metal territory. And if the album title is any indication of the lyrical content, you can bet these guys are praising death and its effects.

This demo is also produced fairly well; there is enough original material to suggest the band is capable of releasing a decent full-length album, and with Detest Records at the helm you know they will continue their path of destruction as a pure death metal act. That being said, Stench Of Decay could definitely use some help finding an identity for themselves, lest they become another faceless copycat band that's left behind in the rat race of the Finnish metal scene. If they can build on the mixture of melody and brutality found on the self-titled track, Stench Of Decay could conceivably find their own sound, joining the ranks of Torture Killer and Sotajumala as a "big" Finnish death metal outfit.

A bit of trivia for Finnish death metal fans: original Abhorrence vocalist Jukka Kolehmainen performs on the band's cover of "Vulgar Necrolatry". The song fits in the with rest of the band's original material, which again exposes the lack of originality present on the demo, or perhaps Stench Of Decay are too busy paying homage to their influences and not focused enough on making a name for themselves.

There is potential for this band to outgrow their underground status, but it wouldn't surprise me if Where Death And Decay Reign will be the strongest material they ever release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 07.05.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 22 users
07.05.2010 - 04:20
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Good review. Is there any better example of a highly acknowledged band that's yet but merely average than Cannibal Corpse in death metal ? Never understood why they're held in high regards by many which is why I'll continue to believe that their image is really what sells their product.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
07.05.2010 - 06:16
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Not a real big fan huh? I rather enjoyed the demo as much as the Cruciamentum one. Maybe I'm just partial to the throw back DM. Regardless good review!
----
The force will be with you, always.
07.05.2010 - 07:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Clintagräm on 07.05.2010 at 06:16

Not a real big fan huh? I rather enjoyed the demo as much as the Cruciamentum one. Maybe I'm just partial to the throw back DM. Regardless good review!

Not a big fan, but then again I'm not turned off by them either. I just think they could use more originality and they'll be set, even if they are playing old school death metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2011 - 17:10
Mikyz

I deleted my previous post on this topic, because I changed my mind on this demo, I'd give it an 8.5, not for being original but merely for offering us very well paced, catchy Death Metal. Every bit as good (or better) as Cruciamentum's Demo. A promising Full-Length is at hand, looking forward to it.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

Hits total: 3315 | This month: 3