Metal Storm logo
Do you know about my country?

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 17.05.2006 - 17:39
SO, the idea of this tread would be something similar to the late 'The Rest Of The World' s,: say something about your country, where it is, some history, and something you find important saying. I'm going to post about my country, but not right now.
07.06.2016 - 19:49
SolemnBastion

Belgium, at the very core of (Western-)Europe... a country known for quite a ton of things, especially since a few years ago it seems.

We're internationally mostly known for our many great beers, chocolate, Belgian cut French fries, the current generation of the Red Devils (national football team), waffles, sprouts, having one of the least efficient governments, our cuisine in general is descending from the Burgundian one - which makes it ace!, Tintin, Lucky Luke, The Smurfs, Art Nouveau - by Victor Horta, etc..

less known short-facts about Belgium are (in random order):
- We have 3 official languages here (6 500 000 Flemish dutch speaking north, 1 000 000 French-(Dutch) speakers in Brussels, 3 500 000 Walloon French speaking south, and a small region of 75 000 German speakers in the East; each with their own community and governments..)
- We pay some of the highest and most taxes in the world.
- Belgium is one of the densest populated countries in the world. Second in Europe, after the Netherlands.
- We have the largest supreme court house in the world, in Brussels
- The saxophone was invented by Adolphe Sax, a Belgian.
- The contraceptive pill (birth control pill) was (mainly) invented in Belgium.
- Belgium has by far the most open air festivals in the world (per capita); Tommorowland, Pukkelpop, Rock Werchter, Graspop Metal Meeting, etc.. being the biggest ones.
- Brussels, capital of Belgium, is also the capitol of the European Union.
- Antwerp, the second biggest city in Belgium is the world's capitol of the diamond trade.
- Belgium has the most castles per square kilometer in the world, of which a lot have been beautifully restored.
- Belgium has some very historical cities like Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent, Bruges, Mechelen, Leuven, Doornik, Ieper, Namur, Liége, Turnhout, Tongeren, etc.
- George Lemaitre, astronomer and inventor or the big bang theory, was Belgian.
- Andreas Vesalius, first to conduct human dissections and father of modern anatomy, was Belgian
- Belgium's been independent since 1830, after being ruled and eternally divided by the Dutch, the French, the Germans, the Spanish, the Austrians, etc.. and we're still a quite divided "union" today.
- Ambiorix, was king of the Belgic Eburone tribe in the oldest city of Belgium, Tongeren, dating back to Roman times (then named Atuatuca Tungrorum, Tungri tribes)
- Clovis, first king and unifier of the Francs, was born in Doornik (now in Belgium)
- Charlemagne, King of the Francs and founder of the Holy Roman Empire, one of the most influential and most revered rulers Europe has ever seen, was born in Herstal (now in Belgium)
- Godfrey de Bouillon, the leader of the first crusade and first Christian king of Jerusalem, was Belgian
- We were the second country in the world to have a railway (1835) , after Great Britain
- Some marvelous revolutionary painters in the late middle-ages were Belgian, like Brueghel (Sr+Jr), Van der Weyden, Van Eyck, Rubens, Van Dyck, Jordaens, Ensor, Magritte, etc.
- Gerard Cremer (Mercator), the first to create a comprehensive world map, was Belgian
- some world famous musicians from Belgium: Jacques Brel, Toots Thielemans, Front 242, Confetti's, Stromae, TC Matic, Technotronic, Ferre Grignard, Plastic Bertrant, Praga Khan/lords of Acid, etc.
- some world famous actors and tv-personalities from Belgium: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Mathias Schoenaerts, Benoit Poelvoorde, Dardenne brothers, Audrey Hepburn (born in Belgium), Johnny Galecki, etc.
- some world famous Belgian athletes: Kevin De Bruyne (football), Eden Hazard (football), The Red Devils (national football team), Kim Clijsters (tennis), Justine Henin (tennis), Eddy Merckx (cycling), Erik de Vlaeminck (cycling), Max Verstappen (Formula 1, Belgian mother, born and raised in Belgium), Sven Nys (cyclo-cross), Stefan Everts (moto-cross), Erik Geboers (moto-cross), etc.

and the single worst historical fact to the Belgian timeline is:
- One of our past kings (Leopold II) is responsible for one of the biggest genocides known to modern history (ca. 2 to 15 million deaths, during the Belgian occupation of Congo)
----
SOLEMN BASTION (distro) is an ADVOCATE of LEFT HAND PATH and OBSCURE art, based out of the Benelux.

https://solemnbastion.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Solemn-Bastion-448330452029415/
http://solemnbastion.tumblr.com/
07.06.2016 - 20:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Gosh 3 lang all knows but isn't that like Luxemburgish to
btw why flaamish ppl speaks good in English, but Valonish tries speak in French ?

How many % you pay in taxes
Swe 31%-33% depends of kommun and those who had more then 50K per month, pats 50% taxes, so ut measn 50 000 - they get 25 000
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2016 - 20:43
SolemnBastion

No, (the Grand Duchy of) Luxermburg is a separate/different (mini)country, which speaks French, German and Letzenburgs (the Luxemburgian language) as their main languages. Belgium has a province called "Luxemburg" too, bordering the minicountry. But the Belgian province of Luxemburg is in the Wallonian south part of Belgium, and they speak French there.

Well, without wanting to sound too populist, but the north Flemish part of Belgium is quite a bit more educated and willing to speak different languages. Plus, we speak Flemish as our main language in the north, which is more closely related to English and German than it is to French. But still, there are FAR MORE Flemish people proficient in French than there are Walloon (French speaking) people that are able to speak Dutch properly. (Admitted, my French isn't that good either)
edit: Brussels is supposed to be a bi-lingual city/community, but in reality most people in Brussels speak far more French than Dutch. It depends from district to district, but all-together, Brussels is more-so a French speaking city. Some French-speakers will understand a bit of Dutch, or even speak a few words, if you're lucky, but it's not so common in my experience. It is also the most internationally populated city in Europe (+200 nationalities live in Brussels, some considerably more numerical than others), so a lot of extra diversity is present.

Taxes.. well, personal taxes depend on your income here too. They range from 25% up to 50% (amazingly). I was mainly speaking about our consumer goods that are @ 21% VAT (12% and 6% for items vital to living, but electricity and internet connection has recently been pulled back up to 21% ffs... -_-), and beyond that, we have tons of different small taxes for this and that, which also pile up to a rather big amount. On the other hand, our medicare is quite good and affordable.
----
SOLEMN BASTION (distro) is an ADVOCATE of LEFT HAND PATH and OBSCURE art, based out of the Benelux.

08.06.2016 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What I meant is, is there part in bel where ppl speak Lux lang near border

Seems French ppl has some mental complex to speak English and foreigner lang same as germans

Swe medical and social is good unless people as Rasputin and Deadone wont be elected and promote they nazie idea
My job balances from what will be elected and I don't wanna see to much far rights ,,, same as far lefties either
----

apos;'
[image]
08.06.2016 - 01:39
SolemnBastion

Ah, well.. there might be a few, but not really that I know of (people that speak Letzenburgish within the Belgian borders)

Yeah, the French, German, Spanish and Italians have a nack for overdubbing their tv-shows too, so they have very little touch with any foreign languages.. Flemish (yes, the south Walloon part still over-dubs foreign tv-shows and movies), the Dutch and the Scandinavian nations seem to be the only ones to keep their programming in their original language mostly.
----

08.06.2016 - 23:49
FOOCK Nam

Cooool to see ppl post about their country.. It's helpful for immigrants like me from 3rd world getting information bout other better country. Keep going posting!
09.06.2016 - 17:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SolemnBastion on 08.06.2016 at 01:39

Ah, well.. there might be a few, but not really that I know of (people that speak Letzenburgish within the Belgian borders)

Yeah, the French, German, Spanish and Italians have a nack for overdubbing their tv-shows too, so they have very little touch with any foreign languages.. Flemish (yes, the south Walloon part still over-dubs foreign tv-shows and movies), the Dutch and the Scandinavian nations seem to be the only ones to keep their programming in their original language mostly.

and UK and Ireland also show US movies in original language
Greeks are good whit English and its true about what you said about original
Finland to .. but in sat TV receiver there are option original or translated, well if you have Canal+ type of package
Nat TV can be fucked and I think its stupid, it stops progress and integration.
----

apos;'
[image]
09.06.2016 - 17:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 08.06.2016 at 23:49

Cooool to see ppl post about their country.. It's helpful for immigrants like me from 3rd world getting information bout other better country. Keep going posting!

we don't need 3th workd ppl learn, they will get fake idea life is good here, whith is not you ned work, you cant live from social benefits ... lol we don't need more ppl come to EU and Sweden, we cant deal whit own folk, as apartment problem.... we don't need ppl here. Bulgaria, Poland has no such isues they can go there, best countries in EU
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2016 - 05:28
FOOCK Nam

Canada and Oz are lack of workforce and human in working age, so those two are getting more and more immigrants.. In EU, Germany are always opening for immigrants, you just have German Lang and job to entry or studying path to entry... It's not social benefits, it's a environment, everybody in 3rd world is like in first world, we all work... And one thing for sure that actually those immigrants are very rich in their original country... Those who immigrate are the rich ones, not the low trouble shit..if you have criminal record, chance are more that you can't pass visa..
29.08.2016 - 07:04
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by FOOCK Nam on 10.06.2016 at 05:28

Canada and Oz are lack of workforce and human in working age, so those two are getting more and more immigrants.. In EU, Germany are always opening for immigrants, you just have German Lang and job to entry or studying path to entry... It's not social benefits, it's a environment, everybody in 3rd world is like in first world, we all work... And one thing for sure that actually those immigrants are very rich in their original country... Those who immigrate are the rich ones, not the low trouble shit..if you have criminal record, chance are more that you can't pass visa..

How about Vietnam?
31.08.2016 - 03:13
FOOCK Nam

Hi, nam currently is in trouble now there is tension in life due to resentment of communist regime but ppl dont know and confused which way to go. But usa has calmly interfere and there is little by little atm resurrance and changing,but also tension still there.

Indonesia is more advanced than nam, english, and more parts too. Atm one of problem in indonesia is same as one of problem among the trouble tension in nam atm, is traffic. I know jarkata is big crowded and traffic. Hope it ill be better.

Shit im scared when posting this due to tracking by nam government. is there anyway metalstorm shows my username metalstorm username fukviet nam but when other officers from vietnam stalks me, that they dont see my metalstorm username.

Or else i will change my username.
31.08.2016 - 03:23
no one
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 31.08.2016 at 03:13

Hi, nam currently is in trouble now there is tension in life due to resentment of communist regime but ppl dont know and confused which way to go. But usa has calmly interfere and there is little by little atm resurrance and changing,but also tension still there.

Indonesia is more advanced than nam, english, and more parts too. Atm one of problem in indonesia is same as one of problem among the trouble tension in nam atm, is traffic. I know jarkata is big crowded and traffic. Hope it ill be better.

Shit im scared when posting this due to tracking by nam government. is there anyway metalstorm shows my username metalstorm username fukviet nam but when other officers from vietnam stalks me, that they dont see my metalstorm username.

I thought would be safe on a metal site

Have you seen how they keep dolphins in small spa sized pools for the entertainment of hotel staters in indo? That's fucking sick
31.08.2016 - 05:51
FOOCK Nam

Written by Guest on 31.08.2016 at 03:23

Written by FOOCK Nam on 31.08.2016 at 03:13

I thought would be safe on a metal site

Have you seen how they keep dolphins in small spa sized pools for the entertainment of hotel staters in indo? That's fucking sick

Thanks man, but no, i know they officer stalk me, even at metalstorm, im sure 100% just some feedback for the staff and computer technology staff

no one bro i havent see they keep dolphins in small spa sized for enter in indo, but yes its not good.. Maybe ill look for information that someday, australia is fighting for better of south east asia.. Though indo culture is interesting too.. Wish best you will try protect good for your baby. See guys around.