11. Siberian Divide
12. Pendulous Skin
13. Crystal Skull [live version] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Limited Edition DVD]
01. Making of "Blood Mountain"
02. Capillarian Crest [video]
+ Gallery captured during the recording
+ Expanded artwork

Mastodon is back!!! Blood Mountain could be one of the most anticipated Relapse albums since the Suffocation come back and finally we have the chance to hear what these guys are up to now. My hopes were really high as when I first heard this band (with their album Remission ) they shocked me like no other band has shocked me before. So here's my objective review about their new record.

Mastodon began exploring a more alternative and even Emoish sound since Leviathan, now they evolved a little more and all the Hardcore overtones, all the magnificent aggression found in Remission is almost gone. Blood Mountain could be the Leviathan extension pack as most tracks have that weird EMO sound that characterized the aforementioned album (don't say anything until you've heard "Sleeping Giant" please). This fact could be a turn-off for some and a turn-on for others; the truth is Mastodon, while creating a totally easygoing album, will double their fan-base with this new record no doubt.

Now it is kind of fruity music indeed, but it's still Mastodon, so even if this sounds like a bowl with peaches and plums there's still the marvelous execution and the complex as hell songwriting. People can still feel overwhelmed when hearing the powerful and fast attack of "Capillarian Crest" where everything sounds like the good old violent band but with better structures and a lot of genres thrown in the mix. This feature in particular will please most of the diehard fans as the band kept on writing intricate formulas with mind-blowing structures, irregular timing, shocking drumming and multi-faceted songwriting.

This album is totally a new experience; the music doesn't sound like that old Mastodon creating blasting riffs like the one in "March Of The Fire Ants" (their best song in my opinion) or aggressive tracks like "Workhorse", this time they began experimenting a lot with some of the oddest forms of music ever in history; take "Bladecatcher" as a good example of what Blood Mountain sounds as a whole?a huge blend of weird genres like Grind, Heavy, Metalcore, Alternative, Progressive, Nu and Emo (give or take a few) emphasized in the Melodic touch of Emotive music.

In the end this album stands for a nice experience; I can't say it's a groundbreaking album ready to redo a whole genre and I can't say it's a bad album either, it is just Mastodon ladies and gentleman. One thing is for sure, it is no way near their masterpiece called Remission for two things, Remission was a straight shot to your brains without the "experimental/EMO" mambo-jambo all over the place, and the most important reason?Remission didn't have one gay song in the entire roster period.

If you're thinking "this guy sucks at rating albums" and if you didn't get the whole point of the review, here's a brief explanatory text.

Rating Explanation: Yes the band performs miraculously and of course their songwriting is complex and intricate. The genres mixed together and all those experimental passages make this album incredibly original; the production is quite good?not perfect. Finally, when you combine all those things you just get a jammed and amorphous invention and the product as a whole sounds kind of cheesy and not really that impressive nor shocking.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 11.08.2006

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 296 users
11.08.2006 - 21:25
Baz Anderson
staff
the amount of 'emo' mentioned in this review is worrying
that brings whiney little idiots to mind..

i am still looking forward to hearing it though
11.08.2006 - 22:43
Herzebeth
The amount of "Emo" mentioned in this review was meant for you, after hearing the album, say "oh..it wasn't that bad at all"...don't worry, the album has EMO undertones..but it is not my chemical romance or whatever..it is still Mastodon..and mastodon oftenly kicks ass...
----
11.08.2006 - 22:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with Baz Anderson this review was rather scary... I didn't find Leviathan even slightly intereting so if this is a more emo continuation I won't bother checking...

and yes, Remission was great.
11.08.2006 - 23:38
Baz Anderson
staff
haha that is a relief
ill have to try and get it as soon as i can then, i liked both their past albums a lot
12.08.2006 - 00:24
Rating: 10
Endoftherainbow
I don't think it's emo in the way most of you are probably thinking of because this album is still heavy as fuck but in fact I would think it in emo as the way the Mars Volta is if it was emo at all. Also I would like to add I like this album best because of how it is. This album has some really sick songs in it and that jam thingy in the middle of Caparillian Crest is amazing. There's a cool jam like thing in every song though pretty much.
12.08.2006 - 02:50
Mordack
Account deleted
Emo?? Give me a break. Emo seems to have overtaken the term nu metal when being used to insult bands. This is a brilliant work once again.
12.08.2006 - 07:26
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
EMO? like, wtf? man, well that explanation gave me a good impresion after all, i'll give it a try, but, I'll better get Remission.
12.08.2006 - 20:32
Herzebeth
Why the hell everyone focuses on me writing the word "EMO" come one I wrote more things about this album...Trust me this album is not as EMO as you may think for my review...I will repeat this again IT'S MASTODON for crying out loud...melodic or not they rock
----
12.08.2006 - 20:38
Endoftherainbow
Everyone's mentioning it because when you put that word in a metal review it stands out. To me it sounds like Mastodon and it's a fucking amazing record I've listened to the whole thing 8 times since I got it a couple days ago.
13.08.2006 - 23:00
abraxas
Account deleted
i think this might be even better than leviathan and remission, need to give it a couple more listens. terrible review, btw.
14.08.2006 - 01:09
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Is that a '6' like in "I didn't like this album, so I gave it a 6" or like in "This album rocks, but doesn't deserve more than 8.8 as rating, so to achieve that I gave it a 6 as personal impression"? Coz seeing the total ranking of 8.8 while your own impression was 6 kinda confuses me.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
16.08.2006 - 03:10
aven_d
What a shit review. EMO? You haven't even properly defined what you mean by this and you practically use the term every second sentence? That just lazy reviewing and I agree with Mordack's comment.

On a brighter note this is an amazing record. The guitar work is superb, lots of wicked solos and melodic riffs never detracting from the song. Some'Remission' fans may be disappointed but truly the softer melodic interludes balance the heavier sections. I didn't think I would like Mastodon as much, I loved remission but Leviathan left me a little cold, Blood Mountain just ROCKS!
----
Think for yourself, question authority. :dfire:
17.08.2006 - 18:29
Herzebeth
lol
----
18.08.2006 - 08:33
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Good review Herzebeth you just chose the wrong word (emo)... today I was forced to listen to Kudai on the bus and Immediately this album came to my mind, even although I hadn't listen to it... I blame you Herz
18.08.2006 - 18:31
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 08:33

Good review Herzebeth you just chose the wrong word (emo)... today I was forced to listen to Kudai on the bus and Immediately this album came to my mind, even although I hadn't listen to it... I blame you Herz

yeah I guess if I hadn't use that Emo word people would not act as Emo as they are acting now.... next time I'll say Gay or something..haha
----
18.08.2006 - 18:41
Herzebeth
Written by aven_d on 16.08.2006 at 03:10

What a shit review. EMO? You haven't even properly defined what you mean by this and you practically use the term every second sentence? That just lazy reviewing and I agree with Mordack's comment.

"Sometimes I Park In The Handicapped Spaces While Handicapped People Make Handicapped Faces"
----
19.08.2006 - 01:44
Revenant
Account deleted
WTF is this about emo? are you saying mellodic is Emo? Power metla is mellodic, black emtal is mellodic, are either of these in the slightest emo? What about mastodon is emo?

I am interested in weather this album is worth a listen or not seeing as I quite enjoyed leviathan.
19.08.2006 - 01:49
Endoftherainbow
Written by Herzebeth on 18.08.2006 at 18:41

"Sometimes I Park In The Handicapped Spaces While Handicapped People Make Handicapped Faces"

A-S-S-H-O-L-E (everybody now)

Hahaha such a great song.
19.08.2006 - 21:48
Herzebeth
Written by Endoftherainbow on 19.08.2006 at 01:49

Written by Herzebeth on 18.08.2006 at 18:41

A-S-S-H-O-L-E (everybody now)

Hahaha such a great song.

YEAHHHH...at least someone got the idea of that post (I didn't want to give it straight you know?). A big Hoorray for you and I agree with you...Dennis Leary wrote a great song lol
----
20.08.2006 - 23:49
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i assure you there's nothing emo or nu metal about this album .Did you guys like hearts alive or seabeast or the the other experimental songs on Leviathan?...then there ya go..you'll like Blood Mountain...

funny someone mentioned Mars Volta...because it reminds me of Frances the Mute..its even sweeter that Mars Volta guests on the album....great album indeed..and naysayers stfu...Mastodon is a experimental band...and if i wanted to hear Remission..i'll listen to that album..and not a carbon copy of it
21.08.2006 - 11:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
First of all did Herz all it Nu-metal? No, he didn't so stop dragging that in. And it DOES have some Emo influences in the some of the songs' structures and vocals. And did Herz say that it is shit because of that? Once again a full-blooded NO. Why do people get their tails in a knot when they hear someone use the word Emo? Can't you people accept that you like some bits of Emo? Of course you don't like Emo because it isn't true metal to like that stuff because it is so popular with teenagers, well lemme tell you over here in Europe power metal is popular with teenagers, so get over it will you people.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2006 - 13:44
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
In the meantime, Mastodon have posted a promo video of the song 'Capillarian Crest' shot on July 13th at GM Place in Vancouver, BC during the Unholy Alliance tour. To view head here :

Windows:
Low, Medium, High

Quicktime: Low, Medium, High

The track will be released as a UK Single soon. 'Capillarian Crest' is taken from Mastodon's new album, Blood Mountain, due out September 12th.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
21.08.2006 - 22:06
tres^
Account deleted
This review is like.. ..like EMO..
22.08.2006 - 17:19
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2006 at 11:32

First of all did Herz all it Nu-metal? No, he didn't so stop dragging that in. And it DOES have some Emo influences in the some of the songs' structures and vocals. And did Herz say that it is shit because of that? Once again a full-blooded NO. Why do people get their tails in a knot when they hear someone use the word Emo? Can't you people accept that you like some bits of Emo? Of course you don't like Emo because it isn't true metal to like that stuff because it is so popular with teenagers, well lemme tell you over here in Europe power metal is popular with teenagers, so get over it will you people.

Yes people for Emo's sake...I never said the album sucks...on the contrary..the album is friggin' good...but it DOES have some EMO influences. The post I'm quoting said it all...Emo does not mean "pile of shit"...
----
23.08.2006 - 22:51
huubi
Account deleted
it's a cool album, at least what i've heard. I really don't care what you label it! It's cool or not. I do not agree with Herzebeth in the the cheesiness of Blood Mountain. I'd rather call it a bit messy.
25.08.2006 - 00:10
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2006 at 11:32

ummm i think you misunderstood my post sport....i wasnt attacking the reviewer...however by him calling The New Album "emo" ..The Tr00 douchebags on metalstorm are gonna think Mastodon sounds like my chemical romance or some shit...and not give Blood Mountain a listen because of it.when in reality it's just a whole album that sounds like "Naked Burn" or "Hearts alive".so..i was just basically saying "dont knock it til you try it... no ,nu metal was not mentioned...but like i said i'm sure that's what people are thinking along with the new album being emo.I dont see the emo elements that you guys do though.but i do see Post Punk however,..oh btw i hate Power Metal...and i listen to some emo...(Oldschool stuff like Rites of Spring,Pedro The Lion,Husker du.Nation of Ulyssus,Sunny Day Real Estate,)....and i'm far from being "true"...so You shouldnt assume things Chief
05.09.2006 - 02:29
aven_d
oh yea, I'm an asshole because I disagreed with your review, next time try or use a different analogy (post punk, sure I understand), 'emo' means nothing to me. Again, why should the fact that this is an overwhelmingly melodic album detract from the final rating?
----
Think for yourself, question authority. :dfire:
08.09.2006 - 16:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Can't wait to get home today and pick up my copy of Blood Mountain with a bonus DVD, Wonder what will be on the bonus DVD,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.09.2006 - 17:59
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.09.2006 at 16:56

Can't wait to get home today and pick up my copy of Blood Mountain with a bonus DVD, Wonder what will be on the bonus DVD,

maybe audio-visual features?
----
10.09.2006 - 08:33
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
How's the drumming? Is it as good as it has always been?

Hits total: 14517 | This month: 21