Metal Storm logo
Who said that girls can't rock?

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 12.08.2006 - 00:14
Well this thread come into my mind after i have find up this female fronted band - Gretchen .
And yes girls do rock. I, myself , is a great fan of all female fronted bands especial cause i prefer the melodic metal and most are female fronted bands. But also other metal types , girls do thier outmost to perform well. So what do you think?
21.07.2009 - 13:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
It's unfair to dismiss the bass. Maybe your ear isn't tunned the right way

I noticed that the bass stands out more live.

I think the statement "bass really has no place in metal" is controversial.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.07.2009 - 01:12
Sunioj
Written by BloodTears on 21.07.2009 at 13:22

Or maybe you are just deaf, musically and physically. I've heard some bands that didn't have bass and it sounded really stale, no balls whatsoever.

Exception to that rule IMO is Pig Destroyer.
22.07.2009 - 10:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Sunioj on 22.07.2009 at 01:12

Written by BloodTears on 21.07.2009 at 13:22

Or maybe you are just deaf, musically and physically. I've heard some bands that didn't have bass and it sounded really stale, no balls whatsoever.

Exception to that rule IMO is Pig Destroyer.

I think the vass gives texture to the music. As I see it, and particularly in a lot of my favourite bands, the bass shapes the sound of the songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
22.07.2009 - 10:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 20.07.2009 at 18:14

Written by Guest on 20.07.2009 at 17:41

Dave mustaine once said, "playing the bass.. isn't that like playing the triangle?" lol AMEN. very rarely do i hear bass and think it's being used in rock/metal the right way. les claypool is one example. but bass really has no place in metal.

lol you have Death and Megadeth in your favorite bands and don't hear bass?

lol sometimes I dont hear muisc at all, but bass in those bands IMO Dave Ellafosn will kill those who say in Megadeath aint no bass
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.07.2009 - 16:03
JAGEagent
Crucified Barbara are decent.
24.07.2009 - 17:07
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by JAGEagent on 24.07.2009 at 16:03

Crucified Barbara are decent.

Yes.. They're one my favorites.. When I got their first album I never though of something that good. I liked it so much. Those girls are killers, especially vocals and guitars are very good. And interesting thing is, they've just got better on their second album. Their music gets less Punky and more Metal..
24.07.2009 - 23:37
Symmachus
I am in total support of females being involved in meteal music. I love female-fronted metal. I don't have time to elaborate at the moment, unfortunately.
20.08.2009 - 15:05
Razorback

bass really has no place in metal.

I think you are really wrong about this state because bass guitar makes metal sound that "full"and complete,and i think it's unfair to look at bass guitar that way because many people think playing bass it's easy and guys play bass only because thay are not enough talented,it's so wrong because playing bass demanding all dedication and practice as playing guitar,i think bass is also important part of the band even if you are not able to hear it as guitar.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.08.2009 - 15:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
The ones who says that bass has no place in Metal, those people surely have no place in Metal! Bass rules!
----
28.09.2009 - 19:02
Panterica

Dave mustaine once said, "playing the bass.. isn't that like playing the triangle?" lol AMEN. very rarely do i hear bass and think it's being used in rock/metal the right way. les claypool is one example. but bass really has no place in metal.

Be careful with statements like that, bass players has a very heavy instrument and they can hit very hard. Believe me, I laughed at a friend of mine once and it ended with me getting an blackeye.
And back to the topic - I wish there were more bands with females on the vocals/guitars, can anyone give me some recommendations?
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
28.09.2009 - 22:31
Crème fraiche
Written by Warman on 20.08.2009 at 15:14

The ones who says that bass has no place in Metal, those people surely have no place in Metal! Bass rules!

Seriously. Bass is pretty key. I think it gives any kind of band a fuller sound. It makes metal sound heavier imo. I do have friends that disagree and turn the bass to zero, and treble all the way up in their cars. It sounds atrocious lol.

Off topic, but another killer bass player is Matt Freeman from the East Bay punk band Rancid. He has some amazing bass lines!!!
04.10.2009 - 16:51
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
The only band I can really think of where the bass could probably be dropped is Slayer, you never really hear Araya's playing which is a shame because he is all over the place. Even when I some them live, I couldn't really hear the bass which is pretty bizarre.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
06.10.2009 - 23:54
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I just discovered/realized a woman who kicks some major ass in metal, thanks to a fellow MSer. Her name is LSK (abbreviated obviously), and she plays in Secrets Of The Moon, Vorkreist, Hell Militia and Antaeus - all great bands.

As for the whole bass thing, I use to think bass was pretty damn useless as well. I'll begrudgingly admit that it does add a fuller sound to the music, it as well holds other useful purposes within metal. I actually gained an appreciation for bass when I started writing and recording music, and some times I actually enjoyed experimenting with playing the bass. I really think it's an important component in Shinings album "Halmstad" as well in Mayhems album "Chimera".
10.05.2010 - 00:31
The Turbanator
One word.

Darkestrah.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
11.05.2010 - 00:07
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I find that in h-core metal bands with a female singer is kinda creepy/scary (in a bad way) but if its a melodic kinda band its alright.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.06.2010 - 13:38
busta5000
Account deleted
I myself like nightwish Anette Olzon she has really amazing vocals.
10.06.2010 - 13:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Whoever said bass shouldnt be in metal, is a moron. While it is true that in 90% of bands the bass playing is really boring, when its done well, it can greatly enhance a band's music. Steve Digiorgio, Alex Webster, Steve Harris, David Ellefson and Billy Gould are just some of the bass players who add so much to their bands with their inventive, colourful bass playing. Metal without bass? Unthinkable.

As for females in bands, Ive never liked the melodic/symphonic metal with female vocals. It just doesnt do anything for me. I myself, prefer playing stuff like Maiden, and thrash/death stuff. I do like some melodic metal, just not with female vocals. The only female vocals I like in metal, are ultra aggressive, like Angela Gossow.