Additional info
Produced by Rick Rubin and Slayer.
Engineered by Andy Wallace.
Mixed at New Fresh, N.Y.C.
Mastered by Howie Weinberg.

Guest review by
Edible Autopsy
Rating:
The greatest metal record of all time. This topic is often debated upon in the Metal Kingdom and to most there is no definite answer. A worthy contender for this title is Slayer's 1986 masterpiece, Reign In Blood. Few albums withstand the test of time as well and even fewer have had such a huge impact on the metal world as this one.

Read more ››
published 24.09.2003 | Comments (66)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Where does one begin reviewing an album with as much hype and influence as this? An album branded as revolutionary and with such a fanatical following. It is always going to be a difficult task, so I ask that for a moment we forget the hype surrounding this album and we look at the musical value it holds.

Reign in Blood was in many ways a brave new world for Slayer. It had a completely different sound to anything before it; they abandoned all the pretentiousness of the long, drawn out, complex song structures they had experimented with on Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits. In this, it was far more accessible, yet they didn't sacrifice any of their integrity or alienate any of their core fan base. Their intention was quite clear, that this was to be the fastest, heaviest, angriest music ever to be unleashed on human ears.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2008 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Mindheist
Rating:
For more than a decade, Slayer has proudly fused thrash and speed metal into loud, offering doomish dirges, voraciously boisterous and blasphemous songs groaning over lyrics that depict madness, suicide and murder in excess, a style which should definetly suit a ten-year-old metalhead. On October 7, 1986, Slayer released what was to become their masterpiece, "Reign In Blood". An album discribed by Kerrang! Magazine as "the heaviest album of all time" and peaked at number 22 on Metal Storm's "top 100 albums of all time" survey, a position that only "the crème de la crème" bands could get. Believe me, reviewing a very popular album from a very popular band isn't easy at all, but sometimes justice must be done.

Read more ››
published 14.08.2008 | Comments (207)

Found in 187 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 94   Visited by: 2747 users
28.06.2015 - 15:27
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by deadone on 28.06.2015 at 04:38

I suspect as always it's down to personal taste. Indeed it seems our tastes are inverted - I prefer 1980s thrash and hardcore (and this ablum channels shitloads of hardcore) more than you and you prefer melodic death metal more than I do!
Actually - thinking about it - I believe that memorability is partially dependent on taste in some fashion. Ultimately, if you're not receptive to what you're being exposed to, it won't stick...unless it's something utterly bizarre
11.07.2015 - 00:07
Rating: 8
Jurgen33

Some tracks are good, especially two biggest classics but this album so overrated. "7" is max.
11.02.2016 - 09:15
Rating: 10
metalhead23

What can I say about reign in blood that I haven't already said before. It is one of the best slayer, no scratch that, it is one of the best trash metal bands ever made. Full stop. They made death metal what is today because of this album. Bless you slayer, without you, death metal would not be what it is today.
29.07.2016 - 11:26
Metalheart35
Account deleted
A masterpiece. I remember, when i listened it the first time. A real metalstorm came over me. Brutal & technical at the best. Still today one of the heaviest records ever made. Pure fucking classic.
11.08.2016 - 05:33
Mattybu

This is the best album, nothing else in metal can compare to it. There literally isn't one 5 second segment of this album that isn't sheer perfection and master-class on how to make music.

Really just perfection.
11.08.2016 - 06:38
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mattybu on 11.08.2016 at 05:33

nothing else in metal can compare to it.

Hell Awaits says nonononononononononono.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
14.12.2016 - 00:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Did it and I never het possession of this band, just typical 80's TM band, just saying
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2019 - 09:04
Rating: 9
Maasai Mara

The tragedy of being so good so early in your career. This is like the guys who peak in high school or the child actor Macaulay Culkin. This is Slayer at their best, everything else after Reign in Blood is just not good enough. This album made and destroyed Slayer at the same time. Angel of death is an all time classic and the slowed intro to Jesus saves right before the speed assault is orgasmic.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
16.01.2019 - 13:03
Rating: 6
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Guest on 16.01.2019 at 03:47

JESUS LOVES ME.

Dude, mind your language and relax.
Here's some christian glam metal to calm you down.
----
signatures = SPAM
16.01.2019 - 15:13
Daniell
_爱情_

http://imgur.com/a/pObuXNG
16.01.2019 - 22:57
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 16.01.2019 at 15:13

https://imgur.com/a/pObuXNG

I am sorry if I seem butthurt, but this is horrible music. It should be banned. Either that, or Slayer should sing love songs and change their horrible name.
16.01.2019 - 23:00
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Starvynth on 16.01.2019 at 13:03

JESUS LOVES ME.

Dude, mind your language and relax.
Here's some christian glam metal to calm you down.

Christian glam metal is good. And yes. Jesus loves you. Jesus loves the members of Slayer. He just hates what they are doing. I don't even hate you guys. I don't think we should hate people.
16.01.2019 - 23:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 16.01.2019 at 22:57

I am sorry if I seem butthurt, but this is horrible music. It should be banned. Either that, or Slayer should sing love songs and change their horrible name.

Or you could stop being a moron. You can NEVER blame a band for other people's deeds. Just as you can't blame knife manufacturers for murderers who stab their victims.
17.01.2019 - 00:21
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 16.01.2019 at 23:46

Or you could stop being a moron. You can NEVER blame a band for other people's deeds. Just as you can't blame knife manufacturers for murderers who stab their victims.

The knife manufacturers are to blame for the murders. What if somebody buys one of the knives with an intent to kill people? I am even afraid of stores that sell knives. Those stores should be closed down. Those stores symbolize "Kill Em All".
17.01.2019 - 09:57
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 17.01.2019 at 00:21

The knife manufacturers are to blame for the murders. What if somebody buys one of the knives with an intent to kill people? I am even afraid of stores that sell knives. Those stores should be closed down. Those stores symbolize "Kill Em All".

You're either a troll, or an idiot. Either way, this is the last time I'm talking to you.
21.01.2019 - 04:00
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 17.01.2019 at 09:57

Written by Guest on 17.01.2019 at 00:21

You're either a troll, or an idiot. Either way, this is the last time I'm talking to you.

Suit yourself. Go ahead and listen to this gateway to hell. Go ahead and go insane. Go ahead and worship the devil. I hope you get help from Jesus before you take an innocent life.
04.09.2019 - 02:59
drangbird

For me "Reign in Blood" is essentially a perfect, short and sweet, thrash record.
24.06.2020 - 04:17
TSRodriguez

Absolutely worth the hype
26.09.2020 - 12:29
Rating: 7
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I don't really get the popularity of this album, to me there aren't enough good tracks in here, and the solos are enough of a joke to completely ruin the album, very overrated and way less good than seasons or show no mercy
17.05.2021 - 18:48
nonZero

My top 3 Slayer albums would be:
1. Reign In Blood - 9.7/10
2. Seasons In The Abyss - 9.2/10
3. South of Heaven - 9.0/10

What else is there to say about this Thrash classic?

'Angel Of Death', 'Piece By Piece', 'Altar Of Sacrifice', 'Postmortem' and 'Raining Blood' are the standout tracks IMO. 'Reborn' and 'Epidemic' are a little weaker than the rest but still great songs.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
27.06.2021 - 12:08
WizardSlayer99

Slayer definitely has some influence to death and black metal, in lyrical department.
15.09.2021 - 03:13
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Roman Doez on 26.09.2020 at 12:29

I don't really get the popularity of this album, to me there aren't enough good tracks in here, and the solos are enough of a joke to completely ruin the album, very overrated and way less good than seasons or show no mercy

Thank you! I definitely agree. I admit that there are great moments in Reign in Blood (Angel of Death, Postmortem/Raining Blood). In general, Slayer never disappoint with their riffs, but when it comes to solos,... I find the solos unlistenable on this album.
In comparison, Show No Mercy and Seasons in the Abyss are masterpieces. On those albums, the riffs are as always wonderfully dark but in addition the solos are actually melodic and at least sensical (for example Blood Red is a great underrated song that puts almost every track on Reign in Blood to shame.)
Well, I've tried to like this album. And the riffs and scream in Angel of Death and the transition from Postmortem to Raining Blood are fantastic moments. But there aren't enough of those moments on this album. And if I cringe or have to mute the songs at some point because of the wailing and whining solos, that to me isn't the sign of a good album.
I understand that this album was influential to many other bands. But if I'm rating an album for its musical quality, those ruinous guitar solos destroy the album's chances for a place among metal's finest.
Edit: because the first and last songs are so great, I'll round up my rating to a 7.
Edit 2.0: actually it's really fun. A 9 it is!
15.09.2021 - 12:17
gavdann

I love the chaotic nature of the solos on this and the other classic Slayer albums. It's what set them apart from the other thrash bands.
07.02.2022 - 12:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I find myself listening to this album often, especially when commuting after a long day's work and I need some aggressive music - "Angel of Death" is the perfect medicine!

However, even though I try to enjoy the rest of the songs, I still dislike most of them. The perfect songs for me are "Angel of Death", "Epidemic", "Postmortem", and "Raining Blood".
The only other notable moments for me are: the beginning riffs of "Jesus Saves" and the opening percussion of "Criminally Insane".

Overall, the riffs and drumming are superb, but I dont like the chaotic whining solos and the vocals that are just rattled down (example: "Necrophobic"). When the lyrics fly by so fast, they lose meaning for me. The slower songs create a darker atmosphere, although I do enjoy faster songs when they're done well like "Angel of Death".

I'll be returning to this album often, but only to the songs "Angel of Death", "Epidemic", "Postmortem", and "Raining Blood".
16.03.2022 - 08:05
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This has now become my favourite thrash metal album of all time, ahead of Ride The Lightning and Rust In Peace. It flows so perfectly from song to song, with immense breakneck speed, and with a barrage of great riffs, and high octane drumming and solo's that just never let up, the lyrics are also nasty as hell, but also fun and catchy. It's one of the few albums I can fully listen to on repeat.

Obviously the opening song "Angel Of Death" and the final two songs "Postmortem", and "Raining Blood" are the standout songs, but the rest of the album inbetween those songs, the flow is so brilliantly done, and the sound is so amazing, that I can't find anything I dislike about it. All IMO of course
16.03.2022 - 09:17
Redel

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 16.03.2022 at 08:05

This has now become my favourite thrash metal album of all time, ahead of Ride The Lightning and Rust In Peace. It flows so perfectly from song to song, with immense breakneck speed, and with a barrage of great riffs, and high octane drumming and solo's that just never let up, the lyrics are also nasty as hell, but also fun and catchy. It's one of the few albums I can fully listen to on repeat.

Obviously the opening song "Angel Of Death" and the final two songs "Postmortem", and "Raining Blood" are the standout songs, but the rest of the album inbetween those songs, the flow is so brilliantly done, and the sound is so amazing, that I can't find anything I dislike about it. All IMO of course

Such a controversial album, so many lovers and haters around, both among fans and non-fans of the band.
I find myself on the lovers side.
When this album came out it was broadly considered the fastest metal album ever released. And I think that should be taken into consideration when judging it today: Slayer intended to write the fastest album back at the time. And that is probably why you dont find their best solos on this album.
For me, the overall flow, the speed, the performance, the opening and the closing track, wrapping everything up, make it an upper 9 -- one of my all-time favourite albums in general.
Now, in between the two tracks not every song stands out, obviously -- and that was not the purpose of the songwriting here I guess, it was more about the overall flow.
While many mention Postmortem as standing out, I much prefer Piece by Piece, Criminally Insane, and especially Altar of Sacrifice.
16.03.2022 - 09:30
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Redel on 16.03.2022 at 09:17

Such a controversial album, so many lovers and haters around, both among fans and non-fans of the band.
I find myself on the lovers side.
When this album came out it was broadly considered the fastest metal album ever released. And I think that should be taken into consideration when judging it today: Slayer intended to write the fastest album back at the time. And that is probably why you dont find their best solos on this album.
For me, the overall flow, the speed, the performance, the opening and the closing track, wrapping everything up, make it an upper 9 -- one of my all-time favourite albums in general.
Now, in between the two tracks not every song stands out, obviously -- and that was not the purpose of the songwriting here I guess, it was more about the overall flow.
While many mention Postmortem as standing out, I much prefer Piece by Piece, Criminally Insane, and especially Altar of Sacrifice.

I agree the last three songs you mentioned were also great, "Piece By Piece" is also one of my favourites, I really like the lyrics to that, and main riff at the beginning also. "Altar Of Sacrifice" and "Jesus Saves" also deserve my mentioning, but tbf the whole album is brilliant.
16.03.2022 - 09:55
gavdann

Written by Redel on 16.03.2022 at 09:17

If a Slayer fan hates this album, surely they can't be considered a fan?

I'd happily accept anyone to say any of the first 5 albums are their favourite but for an actual Slayer fan to say they hate Reign In Blood would be bonkers in my eyes.
11.02.2023 - 22:02
Growing

Hell Awaits and Haunting the Chapel had better music, better songwritting, better riffs, more agressive; but Reign in Blood definitely has one of the best sounds ever, so much that it puts it above the predecessors.
23.04.2023 - 18:48
Rating: 7
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I have officially left the Reign in blood hate crew, this album is actually very fun despite its not so great solos

Hits total: 47810 | This month: 200