01. Battery
02. Master Of Puppets
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
05. Disposable Heroes
06. Leper Messiah
07. Orion
08. Damage, Inc.

A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets [maybe influenced by Black Sabbath] some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home [Sanitarium]" and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion" [with an intense and melodically brute bass line, perfectly played and composed by bass-God Cliff Burton]

On balance the cd [as you can see my favorite one] is really good, I will recommend this album to all people, especially to people who want to start listening to Metal, because this has been very important to the evolution of music, this is one kind of Led Zeppelin 4th album , Iron Maiden's: Number of the Beast. Just indispensable.

Metallica was in the top when in a terrible accident Cliff died. The band was touring in Denmark, when suddenly at night the Tour-Bus slide in an ice badge, the day was : September 27th of 1986.

Thank you for your beautiful music

R.I.P

10 February 1962 - 27 September 1986

CLIFF L . BURTON

Written by | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 124   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 464 users
21.11.2009 - 21:26
vikingman369

Well, people STILL haven't told me why this album is good. It mostly just has popular appeal, thats the only reason people call it good.

Metal was (back in the days of the "classics") an underground movement, because it DIDN'T have popular appeal. Metal that has popular appeal goes against the underground, outlawish spirit of Metal.

Plus, I don't subscribe to pop-metal like Master of Puppets, Tarja Turunen, Megadeth or Iron Maiden. I like metal-bands because I like them, not because the masses say they're good.

Which brings me back to my question (which you seem to have completely ignored)...What makes master of puppets so special?
----
"God it feels
Like it only rains on me" -- My World
21.11.2009 - 22:23
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by vikingman369 on 21.11.2009 at 21:26

Well, people STILL haven't told me why this album is good. It mostly just has popular appeal, thats the only reason people call it good.

Metal was (back in the days of the "classics") an underground movement, because it DIDN'T have popular appeal. Metal that has popular appeal goes against the underground, outlawish spirit of Metal.

Plus, I don't subscribe to pop-metal like Master of Puppets, Tarja Turunen, Megadeth or Iron Maiden. I like metal-bands because I like them, not because the masses say they're good.

Which brings me back to my question (which you seem to have completely ignored)...What makes master of puppets so special?

Well, if the review is not enough for you to explain what's so good about this album, I am not gonna bring anything new in. And I think there cannot be an objective justification for why a certain album is good. People have different opinions, that's it. You happen to be one of those who don't like it.

But tell me, how does it make any sense to say that people call this album good because of the popular appeal? People loved this album in 1986. They love it now. What does its popularity have to do with anything? Are you saying that I love this album because it is popular?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.11.2009 - 01:54
vikingman369

You probably do, especially since, in your own words, you're not going to tell me what's so good about it.

"Well, if the review is not enough for you to explain what's so good about this album, I am not gonna bring anything new in."

My point is proven: master of puppets is pop-metal!
----
"God it feels
22.11.2009 - 15:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vikingman369 on 22.11.2009 at 01:54

You probably do, especially since, in your own words, you're not going to tell me what's so good about it.

"Well, if the review is not enough for you to explain what's so good about this album, I am not gonna bring anything new in."

My point is proven: master of puppets is pop-metal!

So I loved it in 1986 and still love it now because of its and Metallica's popular appeal? Metallica got popular with the black album.
And no this is not Metallica's best because that would be Ride The Lightning. MoP wasn't written to appeal to the big masses, unliek St. anger which was clearly targeted at angsty youths and the nu-metal crowd.
This album is a classic cause the songs are well-written, well-executed, and the built up of the album has clearly been thought of. Production is perfect here complementing the music.
I find it hilarious you go on about people liking stuff because it is popular when you have as favourite bands Evanescence, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Leaves Eyes, Korpiklaani, Distubred, all bands that write music targeted at the billboards and at being popular.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.11.2009 - 16:53
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2009 at 15:37

I find it hilarious you go on about people liking stuff because it is popular when you have as favourite bands Evanescence, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Leaves Eyes, Korpiklaani, Distubred, all bands that write music targeted at the billboards and at being popular.

Indeed, all those bands are commercial garbage.
I wouldn't mind too much for this guy's comments, Marcel. I saw his posts on the St.Anger thread. Pretty dumb, if you ask me.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
22.11.2009 - 17:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.11.2009 at 16:53

I wouldn't mind too much for this guy's comments, Marcel. I saw his posts on the St.Anger thread. Pretty dumb, if you ask me.

I read those comments before his here. Well, I just can't stand stupidity from someone who has probably only bene listening to metal for a year. And who of course wasn't even a glimmer in his father's eyes when te true classics of metal were released.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.11.2009 - 19:43
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2009 at 17:46

I read those comments before his here. Well, I just can't stand stupidity from someone who has probably only bene listening to metal for a year. And who of course wasn't even a glimmer in his father's eyes when te true classics of metal were released.

Well, it's not our fault if the metal community is the biggest gathering of retards and hopeless wretches on the internet.
----
22.11.2009 - 20:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, the dude's analytical thinking is pretty screwed... and he seems to be missing my point... gotta stop posting.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.11.2009 - 02:08
vikingman369

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2009 at 15:37

Well FUCK YOU! You're a dumb-ass faggot for liking master-of-fucking-puppets like the rest of this fucking world! Go baa like a little sheep with all your pop-metal fag-herd! Your opinion is worth shit! READ THIS, YOU ASS-HOLE! B---:mad:
----
"God it feels
24.11.2009 - 13:16
Lord_Regnier

Yeah, of course. Evanescence and Korpiklaani are surely more metal than "Master Of Puppets".

By the way, I don't even like MoP. It's just that your logic is so flawed I felt I had to defend the album even if I never liked it much.

You surely don't know me at all and didn't read my posts on this board, if you think I enjoy pop-metal. If there's one guy here who criticized stuff for being commercial and mainstream, it's precisely me.
----
26.11.2009 - 05:35
SatyriconChick

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.11.2009 at 13:16

Yeah, of course. Evanescence and Korpiklaani are surely more metal than "Master Of Puppets".

By the way, I don't even like MoP. It's just that your logic is so flawed I felt I had to defend the album even if I never liked it much.

You surely don't know me at all and didn't read my posts on this board, if you think I enjoy pop-metal. If there's one guy here who criticized stuff for being commercial and mainstream, it's precisely me.

I don't get it... I've seen you say in the St. Anger thread that thrash in one of the metal genres you least care for, and that black metal is the ONLY genre of extreme music you do like. Are you trying to get your post count up? Is that why you insist on trashing Metallica in their section up here? It's one thing for you to diss Satyricon's last two albums, since you at least do like their oldest releases, but coming here to do this is kind of sad. You're only pissing off the Metallica fans, and it's not exactly "constructive criticism" when you say things like what you said in your last post (although I'll admit to being a huge Evanescence fan). I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but seriously, what's your agenda here?
27.11.2009 - 14:20
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 26.11.2009 at 05:35

I don't get it... I've seen you say in the St. Anger thread that thrash in one of the metal genres you least care for, and that black metal is the ONLY genre of extreme music you do like. Are you trying to get your post count up? Is that why you insist on trashing Metallica in their section up here? It's one thing for you to diss Satyricon's last two albums, since you at least do like their oldest releases, but coming here to do this is kind of sad. You're only pissing off the Metallica fans, and it's not exactly "constructive criticism" when you say things like what you said in your last post (although I'll admit to being a huge Evanescence fan). I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but seriously, what's your agenda here?

Getting my post count up? Ridiculous. I don't give a fuck at such things.

Trashing Metallica? Since when? I never said that MoP is not good. As for ST.Anger, well, tons and tons of people think it's a piece of shit, so I'm only one more guy to share this opinion.

Pissing the Metallica fans? I don't care for what others believe. They can hate me as much as they want, it doesn't make the slightest difference to me. It's only a forum, after all. Nothing important.

As for my agenda here, do you really think it concerns you? It's not your business.

If you continue to quote my posts, I'll end up thinking that you're falling in love with me. lol
----
27.11.2009 - 16:21
SatyriconChick

^ St. Anger's not a spectacular album, I will give you that.

As for your last statement, HAHA!!! You're too predictable, because I knew you'd say something along those lines since I quoted you here rather than just in Satyricon's section. Dream on, buddy!
27.11.2009 - 22:42
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 27.11.2009 at 16:21

As for your last statement, HAHA!!! You're too predictable, because I knew you'd say something along those lines since I quoted you here rather than just in Satyricon's section. Dream on, buddy!

You surely understand that it was a joke and I don't believe for an istant that you really have feelings for me. You're a funny girl, I think.
----
28.11.2009 - 00:16
SatyriconChick

^ Of course I know it was a joke. I wasn't born yesterday.
28.11.2009 - 05:07
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 28.11.2009 at 00:16

^ Of course I know it was a joke. I wasn't born yesterday.

Indeed, you don't sound like a teengirl, imo.
Just by curiosity, how old are you?
----
28.11.2009 - 19:59
SatyriconChick

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.11.2009 at 05:07

I'm 37, believe it or not.
28.11.2009 - 20:46
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 28.11.2009 at 19:59

Sure, I believe you. I have no reason to doubt your words.
What is funny is that I turned 37 in october (I swear it's true), so we are the same age.
Maybe it explains this weird 'relationship' we have on this board.
----
28.11.2009 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.11.2009 at 20:46

Written by SatyriconChick on 28.11.2009 at 19:59

Sure, I believe you. I have no reason to doubt your words.
What is funny is that I turned 37 in october (I swear it's true), so we are the same age.
Maybe it explains this weird 'relationship' we have on this board.

You two are young
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 11:23
Slayer666

Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.11.2009 at 14:20

Written by SatyriconChick on 26.11.2009 at 05:35

If you continue to quote my posts, I'll end up thinking that you're falling in love with me. lol

You two already sound like a married couple.... Bickering on and on and on.....
28.02.2010 - 21:12
metalupyour-ass

Written by Talvi on 24.09.2006 at 18:51

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit. When I hear this, I get a headache. Check metal-archives.com to see one good review that explains why this is so bad for metal.

It's interesting how this album is frequently considered one of the greatest metal albums of all time and yet you find cunts who say it's bad and "gives them a headache"
I hate nothing in my life more than fucking morons who think legendary albums are overrated. How on earth did this album destroy thrash??!! I don't think it's "mainstream" when it includes an 8-minute instrumental!!!! If anything, it perfected thrash with its intelligent structures and perfect hints of melody!
I'm practically in awe of some retarded people here who just think they're so great when they bash amazing albums just to be special and different. You people don't deserve to live !!

Nevertheless, no matter how great and hailed an album is, you will always find that asshole who goes "it's soooo overrated" - I pity people like these cuz they're so desperate for attention

Anyways, one hell of an album and soo NOT overrated - it took the credit it truly deserved
I'd give it a 9
28.02.2010 - 22:32
metalupyour-ass

Written by vikingman369 on 02.11.2009 at 00:52

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THIS CD THAT MAKES EVERYONE CALL IT "THE BEST METAL ALBUM EVER?"

Btw, one could call the master of puppets album "pop-metal", since it has popular appeal in the metal-genre.

What's so special about this album? That it marvelously blends melody with aggression
Tight song structures
An epic instrumental
Classic songs that simply live forever
All those critics can't be wrong !!
If you're telling me that the interlude of the title track isn't something unique, then YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

Pop-metal ? OH MY GOD !!!!!!
I'm speechless
To call a track like Battery pop metal is just a crime !!! Just because these songs appeal to metalheads doesn't fucking mean they're pop !!!!! What is Linkin Park or Evanescence then?!
What you're saying means this : say I took a brutal death metal album - since it appeals to metal fans than it's clearly pop-metal
Can't you see that your point is completely retarded ?!!!!!! Being appealing for fans of a certain genre doesn't make the songs pop or commercial - I doubt that a Likin Park fan will like Damage, Inc for instance....There's a difference between intelligent, good music - like this album - and music solely directed to the mainstream audience !!!
People !! Stop BASHING THIS GREAT ALBUM WITH MEANINGLESS, DESTRUCTIVE COMMENTS !!!!
08.05.2010 - 18:58
Rating: 10
Nyoink

eh, ok, not my fave metallica album... a bit overrated imo. But I have to admit that tracks like Battery, Master of Puppets and Orion kick serious ass.
01.07.2010 - 10:28
MetalFist
Account deleted
This is my favourite Metallica album. It's their best album (in my opinion), and it deserves the score it got. i love Metallica.
29.09.2010 - 01:33
Mad Mike

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit. When I hear this, I get a headache. Check metal-archives.com to see one good review that explains why this is so bad for metal.

Kind of ironic you say that. In my opinion, that fucking sorry excuse of a sorry excuse of a website is what's truly bad for metal. I'll leave it at that since there is nothing I can say about that abomination known as Metal Archives that hasn't already been said. BTW Metal was a mainstream genre long before this album came out, do some fucking research
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
29.09.2010 - 14:16
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Mad Mike on 29.09.2010 at 01:33

Kind of ironic you say that. In my opinion, that fucking sorry excuse of a sorry excuse of a website is what's truly bad for metal. I'll leave it at that since there is nothing I can say about that abomination known as Metal Archives that hasn't already been said. BTW Metal was a mainstream genre long before this album came out, do some fucking research

That post was written four years ago.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.09.2010 - 03:34
Mad Mike

Written by vezzy on 29.09.2010 at 14:16

That post was written four years ago.

I know, I can read . I finally got around to looking at the comments for this album, which I avoided doing for a long time because I knew I would read a comment that would piss me right off, and that's exactly what happened. Just because it's an old post doesn't make it any less retarded.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
10.09.2011 - 06:07
Void Eater
Account deleted

The abomination known as Metal Archives? Really? You may not agree with a significant amount of it's reviewers(even though most of the MoP reviews are positive), but it is a great website for discovering lesser known bands, and has surely helped many people, myself included, get into metal.
10.09.2011 - 11:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 10.09.2011 at 06:07
but it is a great website for discovering lesser known bands

That is by far the best thing about Metal Archives. Their list of bands is exhaustive, and is undeniably great. In every other aspect though, Metal Storm is by far, a superior site for metal.
28.01.2014 - 17:03
ppippissi

Wait, didn't the bus accident happen in Sweden?

Hits total: 25336 | This month: 33