03. This Fleshly Void
04. Unclosing The Curse
05. Into Utter Madness
06. Phosphorous Redeemer
07. To Redirect Perdition
08. Whorecrown
09. Chorus Of Cracking Necks
10. As A Garment

Almost 20 years in activity and still the Swedish group has a tremendous problem with frustrating the listeners. Once again, the band named after a Babylonian God released an album honoring a putrid aspect of the Bible, as Wormwood is the name given to the star that falls upon Earth, poisoning a huge amount of water, according to the Book of Revelation. Which means: ''nothing to do with drinking absinthe'' as Håkansson made very clear in a interview.

What we can clearly see is that the success of Rom 5:12 reflected intensely on the composition and production of this release. We have the same filthy Black Metal production, the same subtle approximation with Death Metal through the insane blast beats, and the same moments of slow cadency of older releases. But what truly makes this album a brother to Rom 5:12 is the space conceived for ambient experimentation, allowing this album to sound even more rotten and blasphemous.

Talking about rotten and blasphemous atmosphere, Mortuus' corrosive vocals once again steals the spotlight. Since Plague Angel his voice always sounded relegated to the background, muffled by the constant explosions in the chaotic blasting. A matter simply resolved through a different configuration of vocal arrangements, making his voice louder and suitable for both blasting and rhythmic moments. Score for production.

Variety is the word that precisely defines Wormwood, overpowering many tracks with this calculated dynamic, to the extremes "Unclosing The Curse," "Phosphorous Redeemer," and "Chorus Of Cracking Necks," to the cadence orientation of "To Redirect Perdition" and "Funeral Dawn." However, variety being the word, the pointed highlights must be "Whorecrown" and especially "This Fleshy Void" as most successful result of this fusion.

For all this, only admirers of uncompromising extremism can possibly reject Wormwood as a first class album, since the mitigation of the early relentless speed is evident. Not to mention the importance of Mortuus's vocal work, beautifully exposed on the previous album, which became a useful trademark for the band, representing a point of expansion in creativity, and making this album 100% worthwhile.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Uirapuru | 23.04.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 90 users
16.05.2010 - 21:49
Rating: 9
SatyriconChick

Love this album. "Phosphorous Redeemer" and "This Fleshly Void" have been my favorites from the get-go, but the more I listen to this one, the more I like "Nowhere, No One, Nothing." I've come to fall in love with Devo's bass in that song!
02.06.2010 - 18:01
Rating: 9
BudDa

Written by SatyriconChick on 16.05.2010 at 21:49

Love this album. "Phosphorous Redeemer" and "This Fleshly Void" have been my favorites from the get-go, but the more I listen to this one, the more I like "Nowhere, No One, Nothing." I've come to fall in love with Devo's bass in that song!

I love this album too. Am listening to "Phosphorous Redeemer" and the baseline riff in the song is just annihilating and relentless..
Excellent review Uirapuru
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
05.06.2010 - 12:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Loved this album too. Marduk forever.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.07.2010 - 07:45
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Ermmm... Mortuus started his career with Marduk in the cd Plague Angel... Legion was still in World Funeral

Written by Dangerboner on 05.01.2010 at 06:06

Big disappointment for me - sounds like an album comprised of songs that didn't make the cut for Rom 5:12, or maybe they just set the bar too high for themselves with that release. I want more choirs!!!

I love the vocals though and it's still enjoyable to listen to every once in a while.

I agree... 7,5 from me. This album is not bad but damn... ROM 5:12 is a masterpiece imo. Their best by far, the bar was indeed way too high.

This album is good anyway I just love the sounds in the song chorus of cracking necks, beautiful.
And Mortuus is still one of my favorite BM vocalist ever so he makes the album a lot better. But I don´t know... it just sounds like some songs that were left from the ROM 5:12 songs tha didn´t make it.

This is still a nice album, but just good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2010 - 00:00
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.07.2010 at 07:45

Ermmm... Mortuus started his career with Marduk in the cd Plague Angel... Legion was still in World Funeral

Hmm guess you're right... little gaffe here -_- I'll ask someone to correct that.

Thanks man. o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.08.2013 - 04:13
Kuroboshi

Whorecrown and the opener are epic. But yeah, the leftovers from ROM 5:12, alright. Pretty mediocre album on the whole.

Hits total: 5541 | This month: 7