Reviewer:

3 users:
Band: The Nihilistic Front
Album: The Four Seasons In Misery
Style: Death metal, Doom metal
Release date: December 2006

01. The Four Seasons In Misery
02. Deranged Visions Of Insanity

The Nihilistic Front is a fairly young Australian metal act, hailing from Melbourne, Victoria. Since their forming in O-Five Anno Domini, they've released two albums. Their debut is from '06, but I'd like to skip the part where I apologize for being as attentive as a flock of dead seagulls, and go straight to the music talk.

The Four Seasons In Misery is, in short, massive. You can take my word for it. If you require a little more tagging than just 'massive', take a look at this: The Four Seasons In Misery is an amalgam of Funeral Doom, Death and Drone. If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can also find bits and pieces of Noise, Ambient and Black metal in there, but that's taking things a bit too far in my opinion. Anyway, 'just' a mix Funeral Doom, Death and Drone is already pretty extreme, innit?

Everything about The Nihilistic Front is down tuned, compression-chamber, twice-the-gravity-level-of-a-black-hole-heavy. The guitar distortion is incredibly thick and fuzzy and reminds of Hjarnidaudi playing Tyranny. The guttural growl is deep, of the notorious "Cthulhu rises" variety. We're also treated to high-pitched tortured screams. But what I like best about The Four Seasons? are their accelerations. You see, their main 'selling point' are their (Disembowelment-esque) passages, which skyrocket the intensity of the general already putrid mood.

But it's all good. It's all utterly extreme, sickening to the core and pure candy for the ears (and stomach). It's no milestone of originality, but it does have a fresher scent than most Extreme Doom. Recommended for the diehards.

I'd like to close this review with a few lines from a famous song by a famous artist, which I feel are fairly appropriate for this album. Please don't be afraid to sing along, at full volume.

Did you ever stop to notice / All the blood we've shed before / Did you ever stop to notice / The crying Earth the weeping shores?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 17.05.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 156 users
17.05.2010 - 16:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'll definitely be looking into this as soon as possible...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.12.2011 - 04:45
Slinky666
Account deleted
I really like this album. Deep, hostile and impenetrable.

Hits total: 5135 | This month: 6