Metal Storm logo
Help! I need some good distorsion under 90-100 e

13.08.2006 - 14:18
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Hi there. So, here's the deal: I need some really heavy distorsion pedal, like, for thrash, or even tech. death,
yet clean enough. And it would be good if its under 100 euros. Thanx.
----
13.08.2006 - 22:14
Urizen367

i use an ibanez smashbox, which is in your price range. its got a lot of versatility, but like all Ibanez pedals, it eats your batteries like crazy! Another good bet, is the Danelectro Fab-Metal. 20 bucks (american), and has a real down treble heavy sound. not as versatile (or really strong) as most other metal pedals, but still a good one.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
14.08.2006 - 14:48
THE MASTER
Account deleted
Well The best advise that I can give you is: Save more money like an extra 50 and then buy Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal. Now this sound like an overdrive right? Belive me this motherfucker is THE BEST DISTORTION pedal in the world! If you can aford a shit load of pedal and you wand a heavy clean distortion and have the abilty to really get what you like BUY THIS!!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VSDVJH1
I head this pedal many time and each time I'm just more surprised how good it is. It has a clean distortion its heavy as hell if you want it you can go from old Metallica sound to Pantera Sound to Korn whatever you want you get it!

Go to a store the sells thoes and check it out!
14.08.2006 - 16:19
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I will look for that pedal, but i'm not shure can I find it here... Anyway thanx.
----
23.08.2006 - 23:32
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Anyway, what do you think about BOSS pedals?? Are there any good BOSS distorsion pedals?
----
24.08.2006 - 16:30
Urizen367

metal zone is decent, regular distortion is decent, od/distortion is ok. i have a Boss Pw-10 COSM-wah, which if you dont know has adjustable distortions, the metal distortion on it is great! only problem with the cosm wah, it doesnt function like a normal stompbox. so i'd go with the Metal Zone. the EQ's on it are killer. but that still brings me back to the ibanez smashbox, its cheaper then a metal zone, and you get all the crunch and then some, it just eats your 9v's is all
----
24.08.2006 - 19:31
Shugojin
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 13.08.2006 at 14:18

Hi there. So, here's the deal: I need some really heavy distorsion pedal, like, for thrash, or even tech. death,
yet clean enough. And it would be good if its under 100 euros. Thanx.

Actually, it helps a lot to know what kind of amp you have. The gain sound for some amps can't even be saved by a distortion pedal, it just begins to sound like complete crap.
24.08.2006 - 21:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I hawe Marshall amp. 15 Wat, it has overdrive.
----
25.08.2006 - 00:16
Shugojin
Account deleted
So... Is it an MG series? If it is not much can save its distortion sadly, you'll have to save up and get a new amp most likely.
25.08.2006 - 00:16
Shugojin
Account deleted
So... Is it an MG series? If it is not much can save its distortion sadly, you'll have to save up and get a new amp most likely.
25.08.2006 - 13:32
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Stalker on 23.08.2006 at 23:32

Anyway, what do you think about BOSS pedals?? Are there any good BOSS distorsion pedals?

I got BOSS Metalzone - i think it's good pedal and i like it. It definetely should cost under 90 euros. If you need some samples, go to BOSS homepage and there is possibility to listen some samples for each pedal. If you like lots of bass, Mega Distortion (BOSS) could fit you. There are samples for this one too.
HERE is a topic about Metalzone, probably you will find some useful info there.
Btw, there is a MS member called WarriorOfMetal, i think he could give you good advices in this case.

Happy birthday Ed!
26.08.2006 - 00:30
Urizen367

Written by Stalker on 24.08.2006 at 21:15

I hawe Marshall amp. 15 Wat, it has overdrive.

if its an MG, i can help. i also have one. do this: turn your gain, (if you choose to use the onboard distortion/overdrive, whatever) bass, treb, and contour all to ten. it might sound real weird to start with, but when you get used to it, there really is no way to get heavier. however, there is a problem, it's going to have some feedback on it, and there isnt a real good way of getting rid of it...unless you have a noise compressor.
----
24.10.2006 - 21:39
Too many fail.

I have the same amp, honestly i think its a piece of shit when it come down to distortion.
Howeer this is what i do to squeeze sum juice outta it.
Treble full mid 5 bass7
Both onboard gain channels turned relatively low 3-4 or so
Master volume on full.
I have an avergae ibanez k7 pedal plugged into it. this has full gain but volume only at 2-3.
tone settings same as on the amp.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
05.11.2006 - 13:38
Remus

Damn good, considering your buget i'd say the best option is the Boss Metal Zone MT2. Heavy heavy distortion but not the best for solos. In the same price range i think there's a pedal called Digitech Deathmetal but in my opinion it sucks ass compared to the MT2. I'd say go for the Boss.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
14.06.2007 - 14:59
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Im using the zoom G1 multi effects, awesome pedal with loads of distortion. I also have the digitech death metal but thats not that great.
15.06.2007 - 00:48
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
i really cant agree with sickle about turning up all your knobs... to me that would just seem like a wreckless bunch of noise, and a garbage tone... first off, yes... as a few have stated, you NEED a different amp if you want satisfying distortion... but, if you want to spend $100 on some decent distortion to run through the clean of just about any solid state practice combo.... ANYTHING will work... it all turns out to be a matter of taste... one thing i have noticed, with tube amps, pedals like digitech distortions just dont do what you want them to do... period... they sound over trebly and have a lot of excess noise... if you want good pedal distortion go with boss, or maybe even MXR... stay away from digitech and ibanez... just my opinion on those... the line 6 serious was unique, never really played out of one before, but ive heard them played, and they sounded pretty cool... problem is? they are relatively expensive, and if memory serves me correct, you will be limited to whats left at the guitar store (if anything) ur used merchandise... because i think line 6 discontinued their production. either that, or my local guitar center discontinued carrying them, but they told me they were discontinued.

so take your pick, try a few out before buying, if you want a lot of versatility check out the metal zone, if you want a crazy distortion pedal, check out the metal core... if you want to save a few bucks? go with the turbo distortion... or even the regular "distortion" but with each you will find a distint level of tonality... they all sound different, all have ups and downs... so try em all.
15.06.2007 - 00:48
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
i really cant agree with sickle about turning up all your knobs... to me that would just seem like a wreckless bunch of noise, and a garbage tone... first off, yes... as a few have stated, you NEED a different amp if you want satisfying distortion... but, if you want to spend $100 on some decent distortion to run through the clean of just about any solid state practice combo.... ANYTHING will work... it all turns out to be a matter of taste... one thing i have noticed, with tube amps, pedals like digitech distortions just dont do what you want them to do... period... they sound over trebly and have a lot of excess noise... if you want good pedal distortion go with boss, or maybe even MXR... stay away from digitech and ibanez... just my opinion on those... the line 6 serious was unique, never really played out of one before, but ive heard them played, and they sounded pretty cool... problem is? they are relatively expensive, and if memory serves me correct, you will be limited to whats left at the guitar store (if anything) ur used merchandise... because i think line 6 discontinued their production. either that, or my local guitar center discontinued carrying them, but they told me they were discontinued.

so take your pick, try a few out before buying, if you want a lot of versatility check out the metal zone, if you want a crazy distortion pedal, check out the metal core... if you want to save a few bucks? go with the turbo distortion... or even the regular "distortion" but with each you will find a distint level of tonality... they all sound different, all have ups and downs... so try em all.
27.06.2007 - 20:55
graywolf87
Account deleted
get a new amp maybe 50-75 watts of power...for now get the boss metazone its the best one i can recommend, good for all types of metal. "the more power the more distortion you hear"
27.06.2007 - 21:50
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
well i certainly agree with you about the pedal... i tried out plenty and that was the only one that suited my needs... but, at the same time, and this is not meant to flame in any way, but i dont think i could agree with the fact that power is related to distortion... and simply because (and anyone can correct me about this if im wrong) but isnt distortion simply a signal related effect? as in, the signal driven through certain transistors, resistors, and eventually tubes (preamp) that distorts the signal.... i mean as i said, i could be wrong... but ive seen the peavey 6505 combo standing at 60 watts blow the shit out of a 100+ watt marshall... not in volume, but in gain... simply because the peavey was able to produce more distortion due to how its made, and what its made for... ya know?
28.06.2007 - 03:10
APOHAKC
The Bard

LOL I just saw this thread, anyway, try not to buy boss pedals we have here, only one that is fairly good is Metal Zone, and it is nothing special too. Whatever you do, but really, whatever you do, don't buy DOD, it is shit over shits. Have you tried Ibanez pedals, I don't like them, but maybe you could use them for that kind of music, and they are not very expensive.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
28.06.2007 - 06:30
Soliloquy

i was actually thinking of grabbing the boss metal zone pedal(i'm loving the tone on it)...

but then i came across the digitech death metal pedal. i havnt tried it, but i'm hearing good things about it. and its for half the price of the boss metalzone

but for 50 bucks, can digitech really be good? yeah, i know of a lil country named 'china' that has lil green men working day in and day out to make these things for that cheap....

but 50 bucks for a pedal?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
28.06.2007 - 22:53
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by APOHAKC on 28.06.2007 at 03:10

LOL I just saw this thread, anyway, try not to buy boss pedals we have here, only one that is fairly good is Metal Zone, and it is nothing special too. Whatever you do, but really, whatever you do, don't buy DOD, it is shit over shits. Have you tried Ibanez pedals, I don't like them, but maybe you could use them for that kind of music, and they are not very expensive.

Can you recomend me than some decent pedal that I can find in NS??? I went today to almost all music stores in NS, well all I know, but I wasnt planing to buy anything.... Do you have expirience with Laney or Line 6????
----
29.06.2007 - 00:04
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, it is hard to find good pedal here, what I can tell you is to avoid music store Nota, cause they are just too inprofessional, if you are going to Mitros Music (http://www.mitrosmusic.co.yu/)ask for seller called Sale LOL and say that Zile Metalac sent you, tell him what sound you want, and how much money you have, he will find you best stuff for that sum and cash. Mitros is located behind Most Slobode (Liberty Bridge), you can also check Mix Music in Apolo centre, ask for a seller called Nesa (Ne?a), they are maybe little cheaper than Mitros, not sure, but also have less stuff in store, anyway I am sure you can find what you want. I tried Laney and it is pretty good, I liked it, but it is better to try it yourself, plus, I prefer to try everything on my amp, because they have some extremely sofisticated amps there, and everything sound fucking awesome there, but when you came home you got little dissapointed, so ask them to try it on some cheaper amp, if they allow it. I just remember two really good distorsions I tried, Overdrive thing is really good if you want to combine it with something, and also some grunge distorsion I used to play before, I will check out its name or something, you can make really decent sound with it
----
29.06.2007 - 00:13
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by APOHAKC on 29.06.2007 at 00:04

Well, it is hard to find good pedal here, what I can tell you is to avoid music store Nota, cause they are just too inprofessional, if you are going to Mitros Music (http://www.mitrosmusic.co.yu/)ask for seller called Sale LOL and say that Zile Metalac sent you, tell him what sound you want, and how much money you have, he will find you best stuff for that sum and cash. Mitros is located behind Most Slobode (Liberty Bridge), you can also check Mix Music in Apolo centre, ask for a seller called Nesa (Ne?a), they are maybe little cheaper than Mitros, not sure, but also have less stuff in store, anyway I am sure you can find what you want. I tried Laney and it is pretty good, I liked it, but it is better to try it yourself, plus, I prefer to try everything on my amp, because they have some extremely sofisticated amps there, and everything sound fucking awesome there, but when you came home you got little dissapointed, so ask them to try it on some cheaper amp, if they allow it. I just remember two really good distorsions I tried, Overdrive thing is really good if you want to combine it with something, and also some grunge distorsion I used to play before, I will check out its name or something, you can make really decent sound with it

Yeah, of course, I know Mitros and Mix, I know Nesa, but it may be good that I call you when I really decide to buy something, I think you could be of great help. I cant go to store and try every god damn amp and pedal, I think that most sellers wold be pissed off, and thats the main problem. Ive noticed they have bunch of those Laney amps in Mix, and I think they cost less than Marshall, but I dont know are they good for harder sounds...
----
29.06.2007 - 00:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
I will go with you then, so you can try everything you want in mitros, I have very good relation with guys there, and I think that in Mix you could stay whole day too, I also want to buy new pickups, so it will be good occasion to do that, btw can you ask your friends if anyone is interested in buying BC rich KKWT1 in good condition, old two years, with guarantion LOL
----
29.06.2007 - 00:41
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 28.06.2007 at 06:30

i was actually thinking of grabbing the boss metal zone pedal(i'm loving the tone on it)...

but then i came across the digitech death metal pedal. i havnt tried it, but i'm hearing good things about it. and its for half the price of the boss metalzone

but for 50 bucks, can digitech really be good? yeah, i know of a lil country named 'china' that has lil green men working day in and day out to make these things for that cheap....

but 50 bucks for a pedal?

dude... whatever you do... stay AWAY from the death metal... it was my first pedal... and im talkin within 2 months of learning how to play guitar as it was... to me, back then it sounded cool... but after much experience since then, i have learned that pedal sounds like SHIT... theres no candy coating it, unless you want a random sound with too much hiss and a really shitting EQ range, stay away from it... stick with boss... digitechs are "sunny select" brand imitation BOSS pedals.... cheaper, crappier, but they will swear to be superior, or at least comparable... but i havent heard a single digitech pedal that i liked.... except for the reverb or delay... and those were only "do-able".... boss isnt really that much more expensive, and the product is lightyears ahead of digitech... stick with the metal zone, but if you want something comparable to the death metal thats made by boss, try the metal core... its the heaviest most distorted sound boss makes... its supposed to be boss' answer to the death metal... i dont like it... too much for me... but you might like it... its all a matter of taste....
29.06.2007 - 00:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Warlock exactly. that Death Metal distorsion is biggest shit in the world, I tried it and have it my self, I still have it, I would give it away, but no one want it lol
----
29.06.2007 - 01:46
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
lol yeah its pretty crappy... id suggest it for someone who wants a real heavy distortion on a crate practice rig... it worked well on mine, well enough to USE it anyways... but aside from that, its a fuckin paperweight.
30.06.2007 - 22:16
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 29.06.2007 at 01:46

lol yeah its pretty crappy... id suggest it for someone who wants a real heavy distortion on a crate practice rig... it worked well on mine, well enough to USE it anyways... but aside from that, its a fuckin paperweight.

Have you played grunge distorsion? I am not sure is it boss or something, it is some purple colour with some weird black letters (what a description ), it is rather good dist for small amount of money
----
30.06.2007 - 23:05
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
i didnt like it... its made by digitech, i dont like much of digitechs shit... the only distortion from digitech i found really useful was "the weapon" which is dan donogan's (i think thats how its spelled) the guitarist from disturbed, signature model... the one thing i liked about it, is that it has a setting that starts out as a phaser, then you press the pedal and hold it down, and distortion slowly starts to come in, and when you let it go, phaser leaves, and distortion goes full throttle... kind of a cool effect... but as for how the distortion sounds itself? eh... its alright... its good stuff for the price, but if you want good distortion for the price, check out some boss shit... they have stuff thats around the same price as the digitech stuff... you can get a mega distortion for less than a death metal i think, and it probably sounds better...