Metal Storm logo
Threshold

13.08.2006 - 19:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
This fantastic British ProgMetal band has been my resent music kick. Anyone else here a fan of their music?

For me, I really enjoy the vocals from Damian Wilson. They are nothing outstanding, but solid metal vocals, with well-written and preformed harmonies. As for the music, They seem to do a great job at keep a sound that is their own, yet progressing it each album.
----
(space for rent)
14.08.2006 - 08:14
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I'm a fan of their music,and I was waiting for a thread on them haha.My favorite album is Critical Mass but I also very much like Extinct Instinct. Very talented group of guys,very enjoyable as well.Yes I also like Damian Wilson's vocals it's a shame hes no longer there though...
14.08.2006 - 16:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Threshold is awesome man...their music blew me away when I first heard them...I have two of their albums...Critical Mass and Hypothetical...both are classic albums...Echos of Live is a tad bit repetitive...but Threshold isn't supposed to be this virtuosic too-progressive-for-the-masses kinda band...they write assesible progressive tunes and they do it well...they're music is both progressive and radio friendly though it's not on the radio...they'd be one of the easier bands to get into...I mean, just listen to a song like Phenonenon with that chorus there that sounds like a radio tune with that vocal effect...'it's a phenonenon'
14.08.2006 - 18:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 14.08.2006 at 16:57

Threshold isn't supposed to be this virtuosic too-progressive-for-the-masses kinda band...they write assesible progressive tunes and they do it well...

I agree. I sort of see Threshold as the band that fills in the spot between Queensryche and Evergrey. Well-written progressive metal that is not too mind blowing. Just enough to say, "Damn, these guys are good" and "let's rock". Something that cannot really be said about Pain Of Salvation or Opeth.
----
(space for rent)
17.08.2006 - 08:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 14.08.2006 at 18:22

Written by Guest on 14.08.2006 at 16:57

Threshold isn't supposed to be this virtuosic too-progressive-for-the-masses kinda band...they write assesible progressive tunes and they do it well...

I agree. I sort of see Threshold as the band that fills in the spot between Queensryche and Evergrey. Well-written progressive metal that is not too mind blowing. Just enough to say, "Damn, these guys are good" and "let's rock". Something that cannot really be said about Pain Of Salvation or Opeth.

I agree with you completely until that remark about PoS,sorry dude,but to be honest with you my first listen of PoS I did say something along the lines of "damn,these guys are good" haha.The Opeth part I agree with as well as everything else,except of course the PoS remark.
07.02.2007 - 21:14
Richard
elite
I know Threshold has been around for ages, but I'm a real newcomer to this band. Some of this style of prog metal isn't always my cup of tea - I really don't care for Dream Theater - but Threshold seems rather more straight to point and stripped of pretention, IMO - in fact, what I've heard of Threshold is barely 'progressive' in a sense, just more concerned with writing catchy, good quality songs. More importantly, it's quite heavy (though as has already been mentioned, also rather accessible and could probably appeal to quite a wide audience), with a decent sense of vocal melody.
----
08.02.2007 - 18:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Richard: Don't forget that they are still very progressive even though they're stripped down...they do have their progressive moments, for example; long conceptual songs, odd time signatures, and certain instances where the players display their chops...you are so right though...they do write excellent and catchy songs that are of a progressive nature...I think that this style of progressive music is more about creating a solid complex atmosphere and timbre
17.02.2007 - 03:49
Soundchaserdude
Account deleted
Progressive doesn't always mean geeky but in that case it is

It's not as easy to get into as you say
17.02.2007 - 19:47
Jonathan Tweet
Account deleted
They stand out to me. Mac's vocals are awesome, some of their songs like the end of Ravages of Time is so epic. Most of the songs, in fact, make my imagination go wild which is a staple of supreme talent and songwriting.
01.12.2007 - 17:17
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Saw these guys live a couple of weeks ago and found them really boring...their music was ok, but just not enough energy for my taste
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.12.2007 - 00:33
necrovamp
i like this band, i really like the album Hypotheitical, like what has already been said its the missing link between evergray and queensryhe *sorry cant spell) however i dont like their new album much, i thought it too 'unproggy' its a bit more rocky than their earlyer stuff.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
02.12.2007 - 01:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, they don't seem to have any energy when live which is a downside to the band after seeing their live sets on YouTube...as for the new album, it's fucking amazing and nothing short of a perfect Threshold album...it's still progressive...just neo-prog...very well done from beginning to end...
02.12.2007 - 17:03
i saw/heard them at the concert of within temptation in Eindhoven and they sounded really good!
----
15.01.2008 - 21:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Does Damian Wilson only sing on their first album "Wounded Land? I just bought "Critical Mass" and really like the singer, but I never knew DW sung in this band. I remember him as the knight from Ayreon's "Into The Electric Castle."
16.01.2008 - 06:06
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 15.01.2008 at 21:25

Does Damian Wilson only sing on their first album "Wounded Land? I just bought "Critical Mass" and really like the singer, but I never knew DW sung in this band. I remember him as the knight from Ayreon's "Into The Electric Castle."

Damian Wilson also sings on Threshold's 1997 album entitled Extinct Instinct. Apparently Wilson was called by his former band mates to rejoin threshold as singer Andrew McDermott unexpectedly quit the band during the Dead Reckoning tour - or so I've read; but no one knows if Wilson wil work with Threshold on their next album.

Subjectively, I enjoy McDermott more than Wilson but that's another story...:)
17.01.2008 - 01:39
RockeRoy
is the vocal clean or harsh?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.01.2008 - 02:30
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by RockeRoy on 17.01.2008 at 01:39

is the vocal clean or harsh?

Threshold's vocals are clean; nevertheless they invited Dan Swano on their 2007 album for some growling on two songs; a little bit though.
17.01.2008 - 02:32
RockeRoy
Quote:
Threshold's vocals are clean; nevertheless they invited Dan Swano on their 2007 album for some growling on two songs; a little bit though.

Ok thanx, but what kind of clean? not operatic high pitched i hope!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.01.2008 - 02:40
marillionfan
Account deleted
No, they're not high pitched; they've had three vocalists so far - Damian Wilson, Glynn Morgan (only one album) and Andrew McDermott. McDermott is my favourite, one of the best voices in prog-metal in my opinion.
17.01.2008 - 05:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
marillionfan brings up a question...who did the growls on Dead Reckoning?
17.01.2008 - 07:44
FOOCK Nam
They are such a brilliant bands. I love their melody, also so vocal
17.01.2008 - 09:52
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.01.2008 at 05:57

marillionfan brings up a question...who did the growls on Dead Reckoning?

DAN SWANO
18.01.2008 - 02:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@marillionfan: Ahahah...I read your post wrong...
18.01.2008 - 11:47
MetalMiker
Account deleted
I love this band... I got into them after hearing Dead Reckoning and thought it was brilliant from start to finish. I also own Hypothetical and reckon it's just as good. These guys are so underrated though... it's a real shame. One of the most talented albums with ease, everything that was said about them previously in this topic I echo in my opinion of them.

That's why it made me so sad to know that Andrew left the band to find a normal 9 to 5 job to be able to support himself and his family because they just weren't selling enough with the band. So many other people involved with the metal scene and music in general have been forced to stop what they're doing and it's just really depressing.
01.09.2008 - 03:22
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
they are one of the best live bands ever great sound

very melodic band
----
Stay Metal !!!
01.09.2008 - 05:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
It's great to see some activity on this thread...Dead Reckoning is one of their best albums yet...I just wish that Andrew McDermott didn't leave...that's kinda stupid...
06.09.2008 - 05:17
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Threshold is a great band. Too bad not many people know them.
I like almost every album, but I guess Hypothetical is my favourite. It was the one that got me into them, so it's somehow special to me. I love the song Ravages of Time m/
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.