01. Perchance To Dream
02. Burn and Die
03. Spartan
04. Moonless Night
05. Virtue Of The Weak
06. About Metal
07. The Art Of Hypocrisy
08. Echec

Arès plays metal and if you don't believe me, you just have to look at the name of their first album, About Metal, or even check the number of bands which have the same name to understand that we're into the land of cliché! Bad or good, this is just a matter of taste but if you're just looking for classic power metal, let's say that you shouldn't be disappointed by this release, or at least that you'll find some good songs for you.

Arès plays heavy power metal, their music is not terrible but it's classic to death and the album can be quickly boring if you're not a die-hard fans of the genre and don't need to be surprised when you buy an album (after all, why not?). The singer, Damien Gaudois, an sings with really high pitched vocals a la King Diamond or Manowar. He is not so bad and the songs aren't ridiculous but do you have a real interest to buy an album of an unknown French band when it can be easier to find classics of the genre in every CDs shops on Earth? I don't know maybe that some of you are still looking for rarities and in that case this is obvious that Arès is not a mega commercial combo but even if their music remains correct, with all what you need to find in a heavy power metal release (guitars solos, good riffs and catchy choruses) there is nothing new here and this is sad.

As I told you already, About Metal clearly suffers of the fact that it's just too cliché. The lyrics and music are cliché, the name and titles are cliché, the production is cliché, just have a look at the cover artwork and you'll see what I mean. Why, seriously, why a majority of bands which play heavy metal just want to follow trends? Can't they be a bit original sometime, seriously? Manowar is Manowar, and we don't need to have other bands like that.

What can I add really? About Metal cannot be considered as a bad release but this is just too basic and cliché to be really entertaining. Sure we have some good songs here but I doubt that a lot of metalheads will want to lose their time to discover such sooooo classic bands? If you're someone who want to have everything of a genre ok, that's alright but if you're bored by classic releases without any real soul, sorry but go away, Arès will not bring any new sensations to your spirit. But after all, obviously these guys just wanted to do good old heavy metal without any pretention I suppose, so after all, we cannot blame the guys to just do what they like to do!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 6

Written by Jeff | 26.05.2010

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 91 users
26.05.2010 - 22:07
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
You spelled Diamond wrong.
27.05.2010 - 03:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 22:07

i think it's the first time i see someone use spelled rather than spelt (i know it's correct too)
----
loves 小巫
27.05.2010 - 03:30
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 27.05.2010 at 03:25

i think it's the first time i see someone use spelled rather than spelt (i know it's correct too)

Wait... I'm not sure I know what you are trying to say here. o_o
27.05.2010 - 03:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 03:30

Written by Ag Fox on 27.05.2010 at 03:25

Wait... I'm not sure I know what you are trying to say here. o_o
I talking about the way you use the word "spell"'s past tense. I normally see people use "spelt", but you used "spelled"
----
loves 小巫
27.05.2010 - 03:39
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 27.05.2010 at 03:37

I talking about the way you use the word "spell"'s past tense. I normally see people use "spelt", but you used "spelled"

Ah, that's weird, because "spelt" is totally a type of wheat if I'm not mistaken.
27.05.2010 - 03:44
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 03:39

Written by Ag Fox on 27.05.2010 at 03:37

Ah, that's weird, because "spelt" is totally a type of wheat if I'm not mistaken.
Really? o0
anyway, we are way off topic here lol
----
loves 小巫
27.05.2010 - 03:49
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 27.05.2010 at 03:44

anyway, we are way off topic here lol

Judging by this review... A discussion on wheat just may be more interesting than listening to this album! XD

Good and to-the-point review btw.
27.05.2010 - 04:29
Lord_Regnier
I listened to the songs on their Myspace page.
Honestly, I don't understand why labels still sign generic PM bands like this one. This genre spawned all the good it had long ago and has nothing left to offer.

Also, I have the feeling even lots of people who have been big PM fans in the past are tired of this genre now.

It's as if bands in this genre are totally out of ideas and don't have a fucking idea what they should do anymore.

I understand that some people think differently but I think time has come for the entire genre to call a quit.
The genre failed to evolve or even to keep up and has become obsolete. It only follows a downward spiral since at least a decade.

By the way, even the album title reeks unoriginality: "About Metal", just a few months after Gamma Ray released "To The Metal" (both awful album titles, in fact).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 4495 | This month: 7