Release date: May 2010

01. Catalepsy
02. Breathless
03. Factory Of Hate

Groove/Thrash metal
Spain, 2010
Unsigned/Self-released
Total Running Time: 11:13

Agony is the mid-paced groove driven demo of Spanish thrash outfit From Nowhere that is leading up to the release of the band's upcoming effort. Frankly this little three-tracker left me totally expressionless.

And I mean that completely literally. This must be the longest eleven dull minutes in the history of time. Even my cat ran out of the room... And I don't even have a cat, so go figure.

From what I recall, thrash should be energetic, in your face and violent. But all I'm getting from this demo is a blank stare. Okay, they do have some fairly good ideas here and there, and... No, let me rephrase that. They adopt ideas that were once fairly good but have been re-invented several thousand times by now. I'm terribly sorry, but this time around "plain average" will not do.

My main problem with this case, Your Honor, besides the painful lack of anything resembling originality, is the production of those harsh, unnatural vocals. It seems almost fabricated, like they're recorded in the deepest pit of hell.

This is a band that comes and goes before you can say "who the fuck are you, and what have you done to the music I've grown to love in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health?" They do leave a funny taste though... Well that, or you threw up in your mouth a little. Either way, for the sake of thrash and humanity in general, I urge this band to step it up several notches before heading into the studio again. I rest my case.

Written by Thryce | 29.05.2010

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 33 users
30.05.2010 - 22:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Great review I won't check out the myspace link.
----
31.05.2010 - 00:20
sheyhlmet

So I did,and i think is not a bad band if you like death and thrash metal.
What kind of voice dou you expect to find in these kind of bands?,Joey Tempest?,Lol!

I think the reviewer has no idea of this genre and is quite disrespectful with this people.
Maybe he should get information about death and thrash metal before writing that crap,and of course,learn something about manners...
31.05.2010 - 10:47
Thryce
Retired Staff
You think they're "not a bad band", but you didn't say they were a good band either, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Let me remind you there's a subtle difference between insulting and criticizing someone. In no way did I offend these guys, called them names or disrespect them. I strongly criticized - in a satirical way - their work, which is kind of the point of a review. So maybe the band will care, maybe they will try a bit harder next time, and who knows, they might come up with something worthwhile. So in that perspective, this review might be a wake-up call or a boost for the band. Agreed, not a gentle boost, but hey, life is not a Europe record, am I rite?

Pretty sure I know more about thrash metal than you. Maybe I've listened to so much thrash, the sub-par releases aren't doing it for me anymore. Instead of checking out "bands that are not so bad" you should check out a few of my other publications, staff picks and that top list I made. You might learn something from me.

Oh and btw, I don't know where you get that from, but there's absolutely no death metal in here. So you might want to freshen up on your death metal knowledge a bit too.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
31.05.2010 - 13:57
sheyhlmet

I´m not agree with you at all,don´t manipulate my words.
I said they wasn´t a bad band ´cause i´d expect an inexperienced and terrible band after reading your "review",but after listen quietly their stuff (not all,just this 3 songs that i´ve downloaded) i can tell you that is a good band,better than many that i´ve listened before.

And after "diving" through their myspace i´ve could find another review (there are more articles,but my knowledge of spanish is almost virtually nil) http://thrashneverdies.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.328

The differences between this review and yours' are many.In this one,the reviewer analyzes every song giving his point of view (not bad at all) showing some knowledge about he´s talking,and you just throw a lot of "funny" sarcasms and nonsense,analizing almost nothing concerning music.

Anyway i won´t spend my time with you.I´m in a band too and that´s what i must worry about,not others.

Either way for the sake of music and humanity in general, I urge you to step it up several notches before writting a "review" again.

Cheers!
31.05.2010 - 14:25
Thryce
Retired Staff
Yeah, read that review too. Could not believe he was talking about the same record.

"a great dose of technical Thrash Metal influenced Death metal" - Really? Wow, that's even bigger bullshit than my review. That's not an analysis. That's a blatant lie.

Though about the lyrics he writes, "but when you've heard 15000 bands done the same thing before, it kinda gets boring". Well said; I feel the same way about the entire thing.

Anyway, good luck with your band. If you ever want a review of your material, give me call
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 4591 | This month: 1