01. Den Hemlöses Klagosång
02. Den Sista Droppen Utav Liv
03. Namnlös Och Bortglömd

Depressive black metal
Sweden
Frostscald Records

Line-up on the CD:
Draug - vocals, all instruments

Draug is at it again on this EP, unleashing a certain pent-up rage and frustration otherwise lacking in Svart's discography without drowning out the tormenting depressive atmosphere. How he managed to release such a melancholic opus by way of Förlorad the same year as this hostile undertaking of a mini-CD is beyond me.

What we have here is Namnlös Och Bortglömd, meaning...something depressive in Swedish, I'm sure. And with a new album title comes a new sound - something our eager beaver is growing notorious for. The raw production backs these aggressive songs up differently than on Våran Tid Är Förbi, manufacturing a more organic antipathy towards life and its inherent cruelties rather than trying to force you into believing in Draug's unfortunate circumstances.

With more honesty in Svart's 2010 catalog, Draug has earned himself the right to proudly declare that his music has matured "over the years", which is something of a statement usually reserved for bands of a more critically successful nature. With that said, Namnlös Och Bortglömd is prone to its faults, particularly the flow. This isn't to say that we have another case of Våran Tid Är Förbi on our hands with its unfitting instruments, but this EP tends to lack in the overall structure department. At times things seem very jumpy and chaotic, which hinders the significance of Draug's excellent performance (vocally and musically).

Nevertheless, the problems of the first two songs seemingly disappear as the listener is rescued from an average release with the arrival of the disheartening title track. The soft piano keys resonate against a perfectly serene background, transcending the mere depressive atmosphere by way of strenuous mourning. It may not sound fitting as the first two songs are more antagonistic, but this lethargic movement makes for a much-needed transition.

Due to the conclusive instrumental track, one can grow to understand the nature of Förlorad: Draug has completed a circle of self-discovery. From his earlier works of misery and hatred, seeking pity and vengeance, Draug has taken Svart, using the band as a vehicle, to learn from his flaws and mistakes. Namnlös Och Bortglömd, in all its imperfection and its glory, is but a prelude to a much more intricate story...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 31.05.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 76 users
31.05.2010 - 13:45
silenius
Namnlös och bortglömd= nameless and forgotten ^^, gonna get my hands on this one, always liked Svart:) great review mate.
31.05.2010 - 15:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by silenius on 31.05.2010 at 13:45

Namnlös och bortglömd= nameless and forgotten ^^, gonna get my hands on this one, always liked Svart:) great review mate.

Thanks a lot - Draug's definitely improved with each release, but I should warn you if you haven't listened to Förlorad already that it's a completely different beast. This is a great transition from Våran Tid Är Förbi though. I wonder what Draug has planned for 2011...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.05.2010 - 21:00
silenius
Haha, bought Förlorad without a clue that he had changed sound, but i found it to be a great funeral doom/black release tbh, but only after the first chock about the sound change settled.
08.06.2010 - 23:59
Draug
Thanks for a good review. Feel free to post it on Metal Archives if you feel like it!
----
www.myspace.com/livsnekad
www.myspace.com/svartband
www.myspace.com/apatiapati

and so on...

Hits total: 4264 | This month: 9