03. Living Dissection
04. Under The Rotted Flesh
05. Covered With Sores
06. Vomit The Soul
07. Butchered At Birth
08. Rancid Amputation
09. Innards Decay

Additional info
1st pressing CDs where wrapped in white butcher paper, and stamped in red ink with the band name and album title.

CD pressings:
1991 - Metal Blade Records
1994 - Metal Blade Records - German version with blackened artwork
2002 - Metal Blade Records - Remastered with bonus tracks and new logo.

Digitally remastered at DNA Mastering, Studio City, CA.

Vinyl pressings:
1991 - Metal Blade Records
2009 - Back on Black

Metal Blade Records, CD, 2002, pressing tracklist:
10. Covered with Sores (Live)
11. Covered with Sores (Live video).

Bonus material was recorded on the Death Metal Massacre 2000 Tour, Hollywood, CA.

Guest review by
Desecrator
Rating:
I understand that "Butchered at Birth" was a very early release of the band and that at the time it was somewhat new and inventive (EBTL was already released, hence the "somewhat"), so I'll try to be as lenient as possible towards this album. But I may as well put it out in open now, I do not like it.

Read more ››
published 09.01.2009 | Comments (18)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 633 users
31.05.2010 - 19:48
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
It is a classic, but I prefer Tomb of the Mutilated, Eaten Back to Life and The Bleeding to this.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.06.2012 - 15:28
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Quite a fun album to listen to, this is Brutal death metal at its very best. It never really changes, but why should it? I particularly like the twisted sickness of 'Meat Hook Sodomy', as any death metal fan should.
18.01.2013 - 02:13
MJLUYA
Account deleted
In 1000 years time this album will be considered to be a master piece...like a less gay version of Shakespeare or Mark Twain.
18.01.2013 - 02:23
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.01.2013 at 02:13

In 1000 years time this album will be considered to be a master piece...like a less gay version of Shakespeare or Mark Twain.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life.
18.01.2013 - 03:22
MJLUYA
Account deleted
Lm sure lots of people said the same thing about Shakespeare and Mark Twain at the time and look what idiots they ended up looking like! Butchered at Birth is raw,brutal and ground breaking but unfortunately in 1000 years time neither of us will be alive so i cant prove you wrong...so instead ill just call you a massive narrow minded TWAT!
18.01.2013 - 03:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.01.2013 at 02:13

Are you fucking high?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.01.2013 - 03:37
MJLUYA
Account deleted
Yeh!im doing meth with youre mom whilst your daddy pays me to fuck her .I'll sell you the tape for $10
18.01.2013 - 18:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.01.2013 at 03:22

Lm sure lots of people said the same thing about Shakespeare and Mark Twain at the time and look what idiots they ended up looking like! Butchered at Birth is raw,brutal and ground breaking but unfortunately in 1000 years time neither of us will be alive so i cant prove you wrong...so instead ill just call you a massive narrow minded TWAT!

Yeah, I'm narrow-minded because I actually know what talent is (Shakespeare, Twain) and what it isn't (Cannibal Corpse).
Also, learn to quote.
23.03.2013 - 15:52
Illog1cal
Account deleted
This is the most dry and flat sounding music I have ever heard, and its my favourite CC release.

I think this guy said it best about this album: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cannibal_Corpse/Butchered_at_Birth/1525/Noktorn
23.03.2013 - 22:34
Rating: 6
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Whether you like Cannibal Corpse or not, denying there are talented musicians in that band is just downright ignorant. As for this album, I've always regarded it as pretty weak and overrated. Some songs like "Gutted" and "Covered With Sores" are actually great songs, but as an overall body of work, there's not much that stands out on this release to me...
24.03.2013 - 01:16
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2013 at 22:34

Whether you like Cannibal Corpse or not, denying there are talented musicians in that band is just downright ignorant. As for this album, I've always regarded it as pretty weak and overrated. Some songs like "Gutted" and "Covered With Sores" are actually great songs, but as an overall body of work, there's not much that stands out on this release to me...

My problem with lots of Death Metal bands and especially Brutal Death is not the lack of musical talent. Of course, like in any other genre, some musicians suck but I know that many Death Metal musicians are quite talented.
What I hate in Death Metal in general is the retarded image and lyrics. Lyrically, it's often so fucking retarded and stupid. I mean, I can relate to lyrics and concepts in tons of Black Metal bands but I rarely can say the same about Death Metal. I like some Death Metal very much, like Bolt Thrower, early Therion, Demonoid, etc because I can see some brilliance and artistic vision in them. But I can't see anything brilliant or artistic in stupid gore lyrics. I wonder how can someone relate to gore lyrics. For my part, there is no way I can and it is a total turn-off. Even if sometimes I could like the music, if a band uses gore lyrics, it will be enough for me to loose all interest in it. Gore lyrics is the epitome of bad taste, Imo.

It might sound strange to hear those words for someone like me who listens to lots of bands with violent lyrics and enjoys extreme music a lot. It has always been like that. I can't stomach gore lyrics.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.03.2013 - 20:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.03.2013 at 01:16
My problem with lots of Death Metal bands and especially Brutal Death is not the lack of musical talent. Of course, like in any other genre, some musicians suck but I know that many Death Metal musicians are quite talented.
What I hate in Death Metal in general is the retarded image and lyrics. Lyrically, it's often so fucking retarded and stupid. I mean, I can relate to lyrics and concepts in tons of Black Metal bands but I rarely can say the same about Death Metal. I like some Death Metal very much, like Bolt Thrower, early Therion, Demonoid, etc because I can see some brilliance and artistic vision in them. But I can't see anything brilliant or artistic in stupid gore lyrics. I wonder how can someone relate to gore lyrics. For my part, there is no way I can and it is a total turn-off. Even if sometimes I could like the music, if a band uses gore lyrics, it will be enough for me to loose all interest in it. Gore lyrics is the epitome of bad taste, Imo.

It might sound strange to hear those words for someone like me who listens to lots of bands with violent lyrics and enjoys extreme music a lot. It has always been like that. I can't stomach gore lyrics.

I guess to me, being able to relate to lyrics is merely a bonus, rather than a requirement for me being able to enjoy band's work. If I can relate to a song's lyrics, then it does definitely enhance the listening experience, no doubt about it. But the music will always be the predominant factor in whether or not I dislike a song. For example, I can enjoy a song if it's great musically, but not up to much in the lyrical department. On the other hand though, if a song had great lyrics but had awful music, then I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Of course, I cannot relate to gore lyrics, but then, many of the people who write gore lyrics also do not relate to them. (and if they could, they should probably be locked away for the public's safety!) And, there are even examples of intelligently written gore lyrics, with Carcass being a very prominent example. There's also a message behind Carcass' lyrics, as they regularly place humans in the type of situations that many animals are forced to endure. So even gore lyrics, don't necessarily have to be bereft of artistic merit.

I can stomach gore lyrics, probably due to being exposed to horror movies at an early age, so to me, a band like Cannibal Corpse is really just the aural equivelant of that. Some terrible bands have achieved notoriety purely based on their outlandish lyrics, even though their music is awful. AC being a classic case in point. It is very safe to assume that if AC didn't have such outlandish lyrics, but played the exactly same music, then they wouldn't have got any attention at all. A lot of people who are interested in them, wouldn't be, if they had more run-of-the-mill lyrical content. Definitely a case of lyrics trumping the music there, for sure.

I sometimes wonder if lyrics could ever be so terrible, and so unrelatable that even if I liked the music, the lyrics would turn me away from being able to enjoy it... I think the answer is probably yes, but only in extreme circumstances. If a band had say, neo-nazi tendencies for example, then I think I would give them a wide berth, regardless of the quality of the music on offer. Luckily, every band I've heard in this category has had awful music, so I've never been exposed to that dilemma. But it's an interesting hypothosis anyways. hehe
25.03.2013 - 01:24
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.03.2013 at 20:19

I guess to me, being able to relate to lyrics is merely a bonus, rather than a requirement for me being able to enjoy band's work. If I can relate to a song's lyrics, then it does definitely enhance the listening experience, no doubt about it. But the music will always be the predominant factor in whether or not I dislike a song. For example, I can enjoy a song if it's great musically, but not up to much in the lyrical department. On the other hand though, if a song had great lyrics but had awful music, then I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

It is a bonus, I agree. Some bands/songs I listen to and like have so-so lyrics I don't really relate to but they're not a negative point either. I can simply ignore the lyrics or at least not focus on them. It's just that in some cases lyrics are so plain stupid that I can't overlook them or ignore them. At this point, they spoil everything.
But music is the first factor here, yes. I mean, I can listen to music I like with so-so lyrics but I won't listen to music I dislike, no matter how good lyrics can be.
I believe we agree in almost everything here. The difference is you're able to entirely ignore lyrics, something I can't do.

Of course, I cannot relate to gore lyrics, but then, many of the people who write gore lyrics also do not relate to them. (and if they could, they should probably be locked away for the public's safety!) And, there are even examples of intelligently written gore lyrics, with Carcass being a very prominent example. There's also a message behind Carcass' lyrics, as they regularly place humans in the type of situations that many animals are forced to endure. So even gore lyrics, don't necessarily have to be bereft of artistic merit.

I know that there are examples of well-written gore lyrics. However, I think they're quite rare and not the norm. Most of the time, it's only crap. However, I believe I would not like gore lyrics, even those of the intelligent kind. It simply doesn't interest me in any way. But I get your point: we can't throw everything in the same basket.

I can stomach gore lyrics, probably due to being exposed to horror movies at an early age, so to me, a band like Cannibal Corpse is really just the aural equivelant of that. Some terrible bands have achieved notoriety purely based on their outlandish lyrics, even though their music is awful. AC being a classic case in point. It is very safe to assume that if AC didn't have such outlandish lyrics, but played the exactly same music, then they wouldn't have got any attention at all. A lot of people who are interested in them, wouldn't be, if they had more run-of-the-mill lyrical content. Definitely a case of lyrics trumping the music there, for sure.

I know that gore lyrics must be seen this way (as in fictional horror movies) and taken as a joke. If I recall correctly, Cannibal Corpse themselves already said something like that about their own lyrics. But I have little humor in general and tend to dislike something if I can't take it at least a bit seriously. I don't find gore lyrics amusing. In all honesty, I think that perhaps the problem, as far as gore lyrics are concerned, is with me (my personality, I mean) and not the lyrics themselves. At least to a certain extent. I can admit it.
I can't comment on the rest, because I don't know what you mean by AC. Sorry.

I sometimes wonder if lyrics could ever be so terrible, and so unrelatable that even if I liked the music, the lyrics would turn me away from being able to enjoy it... I think the answer is probably yes, but only in extreme circumstances. If a band had say, neo-nazi tendencies for example, then I think I would give them a wide berth, regardless of the quality of the music on offer. Luckily, every band I've heard in this category has had awful music, so I've never been exposed to that dilemma. But it's an interesting hypothosis anyways. hehe

I don't like neo-nazi lyrics. However, this is not why I don't listen to NSBM. The reason I don't listen to this particular branch of Black Metal is simple: I never found a NSBM band I really liked musically. If you ask me, most NSBM are quite mediocre musically.
Judging by your comment, you have the same opinion than me about those bands in general.

Finally, I think it is important for me to mention that I'm not a Death Metal hater. Saying that I hate Death Metal altogether would be quite wrong, as I enjoy some DM stuff very much. I just happen to be especially picky when it comes to this genre and my tastes are very very old school. I'm a casual DM listener. Just for an example, have you heard Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide? I like the songs I listened to online and I ordered my copy yesterday. And I can ensure that it's nothing else than Death Metal (however, I would not label it as Brutal Death, even though it has it's fair share of blasting - it's too melodic). Sometimes, I come upon some DM album I like enough to buy. Not often but enough for me to continue following the genre.
----
27.03.2013 - 18:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.03.2013 at 01:24
It is a bonus, I agree. Some bands/songs I listen to and like have so-so lyrics I don't really relate to but they're not a negative point either. I can simply ignore the lyrics or at least not focus on them. It's just that in some cases lyrics are so plain stupid that I can't overlook them or ignore them. At this point, they spoil everything.
But music is the first factor here, yes. I mean, I can listen to music I like with so-so lyrics but I won't listen to music I dislike, no matter how good lyrics can be.
I believe we agree in almost everything here. The difference is you're able to entirely ignore lyrics, something I can't do.

I wouldn't say that I can entirely ignore lyrics.... if lyrics are very bad, then it will be detrimental to how much enjoyment I can get out of a song/album. They may not make me dismiss the music outright, but it would have a negative effect on my listening experience.

I know that there are examples of well-written gore lyrics. However, I think they're quite rare and not the norm. Most of the time, it's only crap. However, I believe I would not like gore lyrics, even those of the intelligent kind. It simply doesn't interest me in any way. But I get your point: we can't throw everything in the same basket.

I certainly wouldn't argue against the point that well written/intelligent gore lyrics are rare and not the norm. I would totally agree with that assertion. In fact, some gore bands have such terrible lyrics that they make Cannibal Corpse lyrics seem like Shakespeare in comparsion. In those instances, the lyrics would affect my enjoyment of the band, however, most bands with overtly ridiculous gore lyrics are normally also very poor and generic musically, so the lyrics are a total non-issue anyways.

I know that gore lyrics must be seen this way (as in fictional horror movies) and taken as a joke. If I recall correctly, Cannibal Corpse themselves already said something like that about their own lyrics. But I have little humor in general and tend to dislike something if I can't take it at least a bit seriously. I don't find gore lyrics amusing. In all honesty, I think that perhaps the problem, as far as gore lyrics are concerned, is with me (my personality, I mean) and not the lyrics themselves. At least to a certain extent. I can admit it.

Yep, the members of Cannibal Corpse have repeatedly stated that they do not endorse the kind of violence that they write about, and that they are just like a horror movie in musical form. In fact, Paul Mazurkiewicz (the band's drummer) who is one of the main lyricists in the band, is actually a vegetarian. Their lyrics are not supposed to be taken seriously. And I of course, do not take them seriously. That's not to say I necessarily find them amusing, I just don't see any difference between listening to say, "Pit Of Zombies" and watching "Dawn Of The Dead".

As for AC, I was hoping to get away without using their full name, but AC stands for Anal Cunt... and now you probably see exactly what I was getting at with my previous post.

I don't like neo-nazi lyrics. However, this is not why I don't listen to NSBM. The reason I don't listen to this particular branch of Black Metal is simple: I never found a NSBM band I really liked musically. If you ask me, most NSBM are quite mediocre musically.
Judging by your comment, you have the same opinion than me about those bands in general.

Yep, I am completely of the same opinion. lol I have listened to some NSBM, and I've yet to hear a single band of that sub-genre who play even decent black metal. I can't say all NSBM are terrible musically, but in my experience certainly, it is a sub-genre largely devoid of quality music. So the NSBM I have heard, I would still dislike it even if the lyrics had nothing to do with Nazi-ism.

Finally, I think it is important for me to mention that I'm not a Death Metal hater. Saying that I hate Death Metal altogether would be quite wrong, as I enjoy some DM stuff very much. I just happen to be especially picky when it comes to this genre and my tastes are very very old school. I'm a casual DM listener. Just for an example, have you heard Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide? I like the songs I listened to online and I ordered my copy yesterday. And I can ensure that it's nothing else than Death Metal (however, I would not label it as Brutal Death, even though it has it's fair share of blasting - it's too melodic). Sometimes, I come upon some DM album I like enough to buy. Not often but enough for me to continue following the genre.

I am aware that you enjoy some DM, even if you're primarily a black metal listener. I also mostly enjoy old school death metal. Most of the DM bands I like are from the mid-80's-early 90's period. Very ocassionally I will find later DM that I can enjoy, but most of the DM i listen to is from bands of the period I just mentioned. I have not heard of Sulphur Aeon, or that album, but I'll definitely check it out.

I don't buy many albums from any genre these days, if I'm being honest. And that's especially so, if we're talking about albums by more recent metal bands... lol
27.03.2013 - 18:59
Lit.
Account deleted
I was just saying they were talentless to get a rise out of that guy. There's no doubt in my minds that the guys in this band are indeed talented.
That's why it's such a waste that they're playing such bland music.
27.03.2013 - 21:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 27.03.2013 at 18:59

I was just saying they were talentless to get a rise out of that guy. There's no doubt in my minds that the guys in this band are indeed talented.

Well, I wouldn't agree that they play bland music, although they have made some albums which I would consider to be bland, at least overall. Butchered... and TOTM are quite overrated albums I feel, whilst "Evisceration Plague" is a mostly generic album from the Corpsegrinder era.

But yes, it's good that you can at least acknowledge the talent of the band members. Alex Webster in particular, is amazing. His bass playing is just phenomenal.
27.03.2013 - 21:57
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.03.2013 at 21:17

Written by Guest on 27.03.2013 at 18:59

although they have made some albums which I would consider to be bland, at least overall. Butchered... and TOTM are quite overrated albums I feel, whilst "Evisceration Plague" is a mostly generic album from the Corpsegrinder era.

I feel CC were pinnacle in "The Bleeding" "Gallery of Suicide " and 'TOTM".

From nowhere i had this feeling that TOTM has some overrated songs. It's a complete flesh-ripped fantastic album that made their way to the top of best death metal albums of all time. Yeah that's true from 2008 til now they are producing some bunch of bland materials which isn't fitting with their previous albums but still had some potential to be kicked in. One man band slicing the peel of his ass to make CC as one of the best "sounded" death metal act to be honest.
29.03.2013 - 20:58
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 27.03.2013 at 18:44

I wouldn't say that I can entirely ignore lyrics.... if lyrics are very bad, then it will be detrimental to how much enjoyment I can get out of a song/album. They may not make me dismiss the music outright, but it would have a negative effect on my listening experience.

I certainly wouldn't argue against the point that well written/intelligent gore lyrics are rare and not the norm. I would totally agree with that assertion. In fact, some gore bands have such terrible lyrics that they make Cannibal Corpse lyrics seem like Shakespeare in comparsion. In those instances, the lyrics would affect my enjoyment of the band, however, most bands with overtly ridiculous gore lyrics are normally also very poor and generic musically, so the lyrics are a total non-issue anyways.

Yep, the members of Cannibal Corpse have repeatedly stated that they do not endorse the kind of violence that they write about, and that they are just like a horror movie in musical form. In fact, Paul Mazurkiewicz (the band's drummer) who is one of the main lyricists in the band, is actually a vegetarian. Their lyrics are not supposed to be taken seriously. And I of course, do not take them seriously. That's not to say I necessarily find them amusing, I just don't see any difference between listening to say, "Pit Of Zombies" and watching "Dawn Of The Dead".

As for AC, I was hoping to get away without using their full name, but AC stands for Anal Cunt... and now you probably see exactly what I was getting at with my previous post.

Yep, I am completely of the same opinion. lol I have listened to some NSBM, and I've yet to hear a single band of that sub-genre who play even decent black metal. I can't say all NSBM are terrible musically, but in my experience certainly, it is a sub-genre largely devoid of quality music. So the NSBM I have heard, I would still dislike it even if the lyrics had nothing to do with Nazi-ism.

I am aware that you enjoy some DM, even if you're primarily a black metal listener. I also mostly enjoy old school death metal. Most of the DM bands I like are from the mid-80's-early 90's period. Very ocassionally I will find later DM that I can enjoy, but most of the DM i listen to is from bands of the period I just mentioned. I have not heard of Sulphur Aeon, or that album, but I'll definitely check it out.

I don't buy many albums from any genre these days, if I'm being honest. And that's especially so, if we're talking about albums by more recent metal bands... lol

I agree on everything.

As for Sulphur Aeon, knowing your tastes, I believe you will probably like it.
----
30.03.2013 - 20:56
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 27.03.2013 at 18:44

Since we're talking of old school Death Metal, you could also check Ataraxy - Revelations Of The Ethereal and Cruciamentum - Engulfed In Desolation.

Another old school DM band is Krypts (Finland) but the vocals are too low-pitched for me. They sound like Brutal Death vocals and I dislike it.

By the way, would you label Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels simply as old school Death Metal or as Brutal Death? It sounds a bit 'brootal' to me to be called simply Death Metal.
----
31.03.2013 - 10:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.03.2013 at 21:57
I feel CC were pinnacle in "The Bleeding" "Gallery of Suicide " and 'TOTM".

From nowhere i had this feeling that TOTM has some overrated songs. It's a complete flesh-ripped fantastic album that made their way to the top of best death metal albums of all time. Yeah that's true from 2008 til now they are producing some bunch of bland materials which isn't fitting with their previous albums but still had some potential to be kicked in. One man band slicing the peel of his ass to make CC as one of the best "sounded" death metal act to be honest.

I wouldn't agree with that... "The Bleeding", is a great album, and the best one with Chris Barnes for me. Gallery.... has some great songs on it, but it has too many songs. If the filler songs were cut from that album, I'd call it a classic CC album, but as it is, it's merely a good album. I don't think TOTM is a bad album, but I certainly do find it overrated. Not just as a death metal album, but also in CC's own discography. I can sort of understand it though, because it has a thoroughly evil atmosphere throughout. I also don't agree with your last point, as I find "Torture" to be a far superior album to "Evisceration Plague".

Written by Lord_Regnier on 30.03.2013 at 20:56
Since we're talking of old school Death Metal, you could also check Ataraxy - Revelations Of The Ethereal and Cruciamentum - Engulfed In Desolation.

Another old school DM band is Krypts (Finland) but the vocals are too low-pitched for me. They sound like Brutal Death vocals and I dislike it.

By the way, would you label Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels simply as old school Death Metal or as Brutal Death? It sounds a bit 'brootal' to me to be called simply Death Metal.

I'll check out those albums too. Thanks for the recommendations!

After hearing what you said about Krypts, I was expecting them to have those horrible, ultra low, pitch shifted vocals that many generic gore bands use. But I found the vocals in Krypts to be fine. lol

As for Dead Congregation... that's tricky, as there is a decidedly old school DM flavour within their music. However, I can certainly see why some would class them as brutal death. I probably would class them as brutal death, but they certainly aren't an atypical brutal death band. There's enough brutal death elements in their music to label them as that, nonetheless though, they have a more expansive sound than most other bands in that genre. Are they brutal death? Probably, yes. Are they a typical brutal death band? Definitely not.
31.03.2013 - 14:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Dead Congregation is purely osdm not brutal death. Calling them brutal death would be like calling old Morbid Angel brutal death.

I see mention of Curciamentum, then also check out Grave Miasma. Btw Cruciamentum actually more or less split up. Just a few more gigs thast's it. Probably has to do with Dan Lowndes now reciding in Finland where he is part of Porfetus and of course all the mixing/mastering/producing he does for a whole load of bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.03.2013 - 16:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.03.2013 at 14:44

Dead Congregation is purely osdm not brutal death. Calling them brutal death would be like calling old Morbid Angel brutal death.

I see mention of Curciamentum, then also check out Grave Miasma. Btw Cruciamentum actually more or less split up. Just a few more gigs thast's it. Probably has to do with Dan Lowndes now reciding in Finland where he is part of Porfetus and of course all the mixing/mastering/producing he does for a whole load of bands.

Dead Congregation are more brutal than old Morbid Angel though. I did say that to label them as "brutal death" is tricky, but at the least, they do have brutal death elements in their sound. It could be said that they play a more brutal brand of OSDM, even if they're not a "pure" brutal death band. In any event, "Graves Of The Archangels" is one of the better DM releases by a more recent band, in my opinion.
01.04.2013 - 00:59
Lord_Regnier

I checked Grave Miasma but I definitely prefer Cruciamentum. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway.
Sorry to hear that Cruciamentum probably won't carry on.

Another band I find not bad is Vorum.
----
01.04.2013 - 01:18
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.03.2013 at 10:55

As for Dead Congregation... that's tricky, as there is a decidedly old school DM flavour within their music. However, I can certainly see why some would class them as brutal death. I probably would class them as brutal death, but they certainly aren't an atypical brutal death band. There's enough brutal death elements in their music to label them as that, nonetheless though, they have a more expansive sound than most other bands in that genre. Are they brutal death? Probably, yes. Are they a typical brutal death band? Definitely not.

I think that's what I believe too. Imo, it's not pure (typical) Brutal Death as the guitars, though quite extreme, are more melodic than typical Brutal Death. That's probably what I like on the album, the inventive and melodic guitar playing. I think it keeps things interesting and builds atmosphere. I also believe vocals are less low-pitched and don't have that horrible puking sewer sound I so hate in Brutal Death. It's the drums, mostly, that I think belong to Brutal Death.
In my mind, it is not Brutal Death but it has some Brutal Death influences. Or let's say, it verges on Brutal Death.

Marcel and you are totally right on one point: there is definitely an old school Death Metal vibe in this music.

I think it can depend on where you draw the line between Death Metal and Brutal Death and not everyone will draw it at the exact same point. For example, I don't consider Incantation and Immolation as Brutal Death but for me it gets very close at times, especially Incantation. In any case, both bands are not my cup of tea.

Also, Dead Congregation, lyrically, are surely not typical of Brutal Death. But I know lyrics don't define a musical genre.
----
01.04.2013 - 13:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.04.2013 at 00:59

I checked Grave Miasma but I definitely prefer Cruciamentum. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway.
Sorry to hear that Cruciamentum probably won't carry on.

Another band I find not bad is Vorum.

Also check out Maveth, Necrowretch, Invidious, Venenum, Excoriate (ger), Desolate Shrine, Alchemyst, Cryptborn, Degial, Gorephilia, Charon (although more black in there), Tribulation (even though their latest one is quite different to their debut), Sonne Adam (problem already know them), Mordbrand, Vanhelgd, Acephalix, Disma, Encoffination, Graveyard (Spa), Undergang, Necro (Ita), Miasmal, Burial Invocation, Entrapment. Actually there's loads of good stuff in that old school death metal revival.

But I think this should go into the osdm recommendation
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2013 - 13:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.03.2013 at 16:15

Dead Congregation are more brutal than old Morbid Angel though. I did say that to label them as "brutal death" is tricky, but at the least, they do have brutal death elements in their sound. It could be said that they play a more brutal brand of OSDM, even if they're not a "pure" brutal death band. In any event, "Graves Of The Archangels" is one of the better DM releases by a more recent band, in my opinion.

I don't consider Dead Conrgegation brutal at all, not even elements of brutal death in their sound. Just like I don't consider Incantation or Immolation brutal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.04.2013 - 20:00
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.03.2013 at 10:55

After hearing what you said about Krypts, I was expecting them to have those horrible, ultra low, pitch shifted vocals that many generic gore bands use. But I found the vocals in Krypts to be fine. lol

I don't like those vocals but I heard much worse. What I hate more than anything is this kind of ridiculous inintelligible shit I don't even call vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-KLM5TRI0

I wonder if there is really any word in this crap. It sounds to me only as fucking noise.
----
12.04.2013 - 00:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.04.2013 at 20:00
I don't like those vocals but I heard much worse. What I hate more than anything is this kind of ridiculous inintelligible shit I don't even call vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-KLM5TRI0

I wonder if there is really any word in this crap. It sounds to me only as fucking noise.

Ah... the beneath the sewerage type vocals...

Yep, I have a low tolerance level for that type of vocal, but if they're mixed up with other types of death/grind vocals, then I can stand them.
26.07.2013 - 11:59
Infernal Eternal

Undeniably, one of the best covers in music history!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
06.03.2014 - 18:13
Rating: 8
pkillerjp

Great album not in and of itself really, but good when you own others to go back and give this a listen to see another take on their sound and death metal in general. If that made any sense, ha. It's hard to describe but this album has a lot of charm, it's definitely not a single song highlight reel like The Bleeding, but it's meant to be enjoyed as one single piece of purely brutal death metal.

Hits total: 13733 | This month: 54