10. Emerson (Part 2)
11. How May I Help You?
12. (If You Weren't So) Perfect
13. Such The Fool
14. When Will The Forest Speak...?
15. Wrathchild [Iron Maiden cover] [Japanese bonus]
16. Suffice [Japanese bonus]
+ How May I Help You? [video] [Japanese bonus]

10 years ago today (give or take a few hours) SikTh unleashed upon the world what I still regard as a landmark album for extreme metal. Drawing on metalcore, math metal and progressive metal, they constructed a genre-defying record of unbridled complexity and brilliance which to this day has never, in my opinion, been bettered within its vague stylistic area of music.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 7 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 342 users
02.06.2010 - 09:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Interesting that people prefer Death Of A Dead Day, as this is a superior album, a virtually perfect example of progressive metalcore, perhaps even the best of its kind.
31.10.2011 - 22:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Did anyone even know that Tupelo was a cover?

31.10.2011 - 22:46
eponymous

Written by Introspekrieg on 31.10.2011 at 22:32

Did anyone even know that Tupelo was a cover?

Cave fans? (Myself included.)

When this came out, I gave it a listen and liked Pussyfoot and Tupelo. Got rid of it.
18.08.2013 - 15:35
Rating: 8
Dylan

Didn't know of these guys before now.. very very cool album. Thanks!
18.08.2013 - 17:09
Rulatore

It has some really great moments, but some really BORING too. Overall, it's good
18.08.2013 - 23:12
Fat & Sassy!

Although some of the clean vocals made me cringe, I found myself enjoying this ambitious album quite a bit.

And the last song before the bonus tracks is gloriously reminiscent to spoken poetry/narrations found in many silly classic prog albums. Regardless of its serious mood, I found the psychedelic elements of this album incredibly amusing.
18.08.2013 - 23:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.08.2013 at 23:12

Although some of the clean vocals made me cringe, I found myself enjoying this ambitious album quite a bit.

And the last song before the bonus tracks is gloriously reminiscent to spoken poetry/narrations found in many silly classic prog albums. Regardless of its serious mood, I found the psychedelic elements of this album incredibly amusing.

Yeah if I had to pick one element that perhaps falls short of the rest it's the emo-y cleans. That being said I've more than become accustomed to, and even appreciate, them.
18.08.2013 - 23:29
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
I havent listened to this album in ages. Gonna have to dig it out for sure.

It's odd that I discovered them back in 2009 on Scuzz tv. That is the last place you look for decent music.
18.08.2013 - 23:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2013 at 23:29

I havent listened to this album in ages. Gonna have to dig it out for sure.

It's odd that I discovered them back in 2009 on Scuzz tv. That is the last place you look for decent music.

I think I somehow caught their video to Such The Fool on Kerrang! TV; even more unlikely!
19.08.2013 - 08:45
Rating: 9
Nefarious
Doom Knight
I'm one of those who prefers 'Death Of A Dead Day' but i immensely enjoy all of SikTh's releases tbh and this really was a fantastic debut album. SikTh have that real longevity factor with me where even 10 years on I listen to their records on a semi-regular basis without getting bored.

I discovered them back in 2002 when they were the supporting act at some gig I was at. It was all a bit overwhelming at the time & I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I was intrigued enough to seek their music out when i got home after the gig. It was then that their music really clicked with me & I followed them ever since.

I really wish they would hurry up with that reunion....
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
20.08.2013 - 11:55
Uldreth

Mad props for staff picking this album.

I prefer their second LP (Bland Street Bloom and Where Do We Fall are hard to beat) but this one is gargleblastingly delicious too.
20.08.2013 - 22:06
Rating: 8
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Uldreth on 20.08.2013 at 11:55

Mad props for staff picking this album.

I prefer their second LP (Bland Street Bloom and Where Do We Fall are hard to beat) but this one is gargleblastingly delicious too.

Bro you spoke my heart there.
As The Ear Spins Round is my fav!
----
20.08.2013 - 22:33
DragonWisdom

Musically, this album was really ahead of its time... Vocally, I just cant listen to it... The cleans are decent and what lead to the style of Periphery, Skyharbor and TesseracT, but the agro harsh vocals just kill it for me... If there was an instrumental version I would lap this up!
----
Keep it Brutal!!!
21.08.2013 - 00:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
With regards to their second album, I do enjoy it a lot, but lacks the chaos and randomness of this one. Just a little too conventional for me to hold my interest entirely.
21.08.2013 - 05:28
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 21.08.2013 at 00:42

Just a little too conventional for me to hold my interest entirely.

Of course you would think this, more people would likely say it's entirely too chaotic and unconventional.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

21.08.2013 - 11:08
Uldreth

Written by psykometal on 21.08.2013 at 05:28

Written by Guest on 21.08.2013 at 00:42

Just a little too conventional for me to hold my interest entirely.

Of course you would think this, more people would likely say it's entirely too chaotic and unconventional.

Well for me (as someone who prefers their second) it isn't too chaotic (I like very chaotic music) - its just it is too random. Some passages that follow some parts just feel weird and out of place a bit. DoaDD feels more consistent to me.
21.08.2013 - 11:25
Nefarious
Doom Knight
As i said I absolutely love this album, but I think one of the reasons i prefer DoaDD is that 6 of the songs off this album were previously released on their first 2 EP's and weren't new material. It always seems to be the way but because i was already familiar with those songs from the EP's, i prefer those original versions to the ones that ended up on this album.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
01.04.2014 - 14:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2014 at 13:57

Vocals can be cringeworthy at times but I should adapt to them after a few more listens. The rest is great. The second half to "Can't we all dream" is ma favewet section.

Are you going through my 10 / 10 albums or something? =P
01.04.2014 - 14:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2014 at 14:42

HE'S ONTO US! RETREAT TO THE HILLS!

01.04.2014 - 15:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.04.2014 at 15:06

Oh you lel. But furreal, i've kinda exhausted the global top lists so now i'm just browsing through users' favourite albums. Just passing through and having a quick peek, don't mind me ^.^

Go for it
08.07.2014 - 01:21
mz

Why I'm hearing it just now? This could well be one of my first extreme metal records.
Love the omnipresent chaos and crazy vocal delivery (except for a few clean tasks).
Anyway, I think this is one of the first metalcore album ever. Still don't know what makes something a metalcore record. Anything quiet similar to this?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.07.2014 - 01:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.07.2014 at 01:21

This could well be one of my first extreme metal records.

Eh?

Quote:

Anyway, I think this is one of the first metalcore album ever

What? =P

Not much that's really like SikTh. They're more progressive or avant-garde metal than metalcore really, in the sense they may have metalcore as part of their music but not primarily so.

I'd say check out Hyno5e if you haven't. Fantastic band.

08.07.2014 - 01:31
mz

Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 01:26

Eh?

I mean it was probably easier to listen to this album than let's say, nile-annihilation of the wicked or death-human as early steps into extreme music. Hell I even didn't listen to thrash metal that much.

What? =P

That's true

Not much that's really like SikTh. They're more progressive or avant-garde metal than metalcore really, in the sense they may have metalcore as part of their music but not primarily so.
link

Thank. Will have a look at it.
----
08.07.2014 - 01:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The botched quoting adds to my confusion! I don't get what you mean about this being your first extreme metal album when you listen to GTT and the like, and I'm pretty sure you don't think this was the first metalcore record. Unless you meant it's one of your first metalcore albums ever.
08.07.2014 - 01:36
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah Hypno5e is great. I saw them when I first arrived in Montpellier, where they are based, and I have to say I remember more from their performance as openers, than from the bands they were opening for. They call themselves "Métal Cinématographique" which nerdy but they work a lot on movie references. They have videos projected onto the stage that are just as interesting as the experiments they do with the music. They sound similar to SikTh but it's a whole different take on metalcore. But it's really a band that you can fully appreciate only if you see them at least once.
08.07.2014 - 01:36
mz

Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 01:33

The botched quoting adds to my confusion! I don't get what you mean about this being your first extreme metal album when you listen to GTT and the like, and I'm pretty sure you don't think this was the first metalcore record. Unless you meant it's one of your first metalcore albums ever.

oh sorry. I used inappropriate word. I mean if I listened to this 5 years ago, it would had been easier for me that other early extreme metal records for me.
----
08.07.2014 - 01:38
mz

And yes, I mean that it is one of my first metalcore albums. mz mind fail here.
----
08.07.2014 - 01:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm not sure if you were drawing on something I said elsewhere or it's just a coincidence but SikTh probably were my first extreme metal band, and funnily enough Annihilation of the Wicked was possibly my first death metal album
08.07.2014 - 01:47
mz

Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 01:41

I'm not sure if you were drawing on something I said elsewhere or it's just a coincidence but SikTh probably were my first extreme metal band, and funnily enough Annihilation of the Wicked was possibly my first death metal album

firs with that absu album, now with these. I told you I'm a wizard.
nice coincident
----
08.08.2014 - 20:11
Rating: 10
Lethrokai

Goddamnit Joe, I just want to thank you for introducing me to this godsend of an album. When I first saw you call this a "landmark of extreme metal" I thought it was just one of those usual hyperbole you'd find on sites like this.

But I'll be damned; I've been listening to it for over a year now, and still it only gets better and better. It's like some sort of childish joy I find in this album.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.

Hits total: 10525 | This month: 6