Poll

Which?

Amon Amarth
Kalmah

Total votes: 53
04.06.2010 - 21:01
Reza
Account deleted
Amon Amarth and Kalmah are two great melodeath bands and I love both of them but IMO Kalmah is better than Amon Amarth.
I believe that their riffs and especially their solos are infinitely better than Amon Amarth and I voted for them without any doubt !
05.06.2010 - 09:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt AA, ok I do like kalmah, but not so mucch, more some songs not albums, but AA each album and song is good, true time I never heard any bad song from AA and so I vote for AA, siply even girl in next house looks much sexier and nicer how your GF, but if you love gF she be nicest how other girl (get my point)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.06.2010 - 02:52
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Guest on 04.06.2010 at 21:01

Amon Amarth and Kalmah are two great melodeath bands and I love both of them but IMO Kalmah is better than Amon Amarth.
I believe that their riffs and especially their solos are infinitely better than Amon Amarth and I voted for them without any doubt !

I hear that, but i really love both AA and Kalmah, but in the end I had to go with AA, Ive been listening to them longer, they are a bit heavier (in my opinion) and gotta love vikings. But after seeing how few votes Kalmah got I kinda feel bad, they are a great band, but they totally dont have the exposure that AA does.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
09.06.2010 - 16:50
F.S

Kalmah. they are more melodic than AA.
09.06.2010 - 22:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
First off they are completely different bands. Amon Amarth melodies are more focused on viking themed guitar riffs; Kalmah uses keyboards for the melodies.

Now, as for my preference I always loved keyboard oriented melodies, and early Kalmah were perfect in that specially in Swampsong in my opinion. The problem is I quit listening Kalmah for what they have become.
Amon Amarth always managed to make great melodies throughout all their years of existence and they do it quite well if you ask me. They are proof that, when a musician is good, there's no need for keyboards to create great melodies. So my vote goes to them, they deserve it more than Kalmah. If I'd have to vote for a band in the Kalmah melodic type, I'd vote for Eternal Tears of Sorrow.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
10.06.2010 - 07:26
Derwood

I haven't heard another band whose music can get my blood boiling and head banging quite the way Amon Amarth's does. I know they aren't the most talented band (though Hegg is definitely among the best growlers) and their music is hardly original, but I absolutely love it. They are one of those few bands that just grab me and draw me into their world. If I'm in a funk, they never fail to draw me out. If I'm already up, they just get me even more pumped. I just love what they do.

Kalmah, on the other hand, just doesn't do anything for me.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
02.07.2010 - 23:52
Sulac

Amon Amarth is my second favorite band of all time, whilst Kalmah is a band I've never been able to like. Easy choice.
15.07.2010 - 16:13
MetalFist
Account deleted
Amon Amarth is a great band. To Them *clink*.
15.07.2010 - 17:47
Goricyde
Account deleted
I've never heard anything by Kalmah, so I have to go with Amon Amarth.
17.07.2010 - 23:37
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
This is a boring and useless poll, but my fav is Kalmah. They've been sucking real bad in the last years (except 12 Gauge, which is a great comeback) but overall they please me the most. AA haven't been able to do anything new since their very first album and they are sooo overrated, imo.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
22.07.2010 - 23:50
Liquidus_Animus

Haven't heard enough Amon Amarth. Kalmah on the other hand is one of my favorite melodic death metal bands and really haven't disappointed. I vote Kalmah
17.10.2010 - 19:27
Sorgblad

Kalmah all the way !
17.10.2010 - 22:23
rational.gaze

Both bands craft excellent songs, so I find it difficult to really say which one is truly "better" than the other. The deciding factor between the two is bearing witness to live execution. Being biased, as I have never seen Kalmah live (yet), Amon Amarth is fucking brutal live. I saw them with TYR at Mr. Smalls in Pittsburgh, PA back in the early spring. They (Amon Amarth) definitely rank among the top acts I've seen in the decade and a half of metal concert attendance. That being said, my vote goes to Amon Amarth. In all honesty, its like comparing sex with or without sox on, it feels good either way.
----
.never.let.them.see.you.coming
18.10.2010 - 11:50
GT
Coffee!!
Amon Amarth for me without a doubt. Kalmah are ok and entertaining, but AA are just killers
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.10.2010 - 20:32
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
A completely pointless poll. Amon Amarth are 6th in the popularity index and Kalmah are 47th. Who do you think will gain more votes? In fact, all such polls are rendered useless by the existence of the popularity index.
21.10.2010 - 01:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 18.10.2010 at 20:32

A completely pointless poll. Amon Amarth are 6th in the popularity index and Kalmah are 47th. Who do you think will gain more votes? In fact, all such polls are rendered useless by the existence of the popularity index.

22.10.2010 - 00:16
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.10.2010 at 01:59

Your favorite movie too, huh?
22.10.2010 - 01:32
_Mindrust_

I love Amon Amarth. I could listed to Twilight of the Thunder God album all day... but Kalmah is slightly more talented. I have yet to find a Kalmah song that I don't like.

Therefore my vote goes out to Kalmah.

And yeah, I registered just to vote in this poll. Kalmah doesn't get the exposure they deserve.
27.10.2010 - 04:47
LucifugeRofocale

I fell in love with Kalmah after listening to Swampsong (followed by They Will Return). They have an interesting sound, very melodic and beautiful, yet br00tal and frenetic.

And then I heard Amon Amarth's With Oden on Our Side. And they win this just by a whisker, IMHO.

AA definitely has less obvious melodic structure than Kalmah, but that can largely attributed to Kalmah's use of the keyboards to support their melodies. It's also difficult to decide which is the "heavier" band, AA is deliberate and devastating, while Kalmah goes for incredible earsplitting speed. Even though both are classed as Melodeath, AA sounds more thrash-influenced, while Kalmah is definitely more power-metal influenced.

But the things that win it for AA are the vocals and the lyrics. I've grown to really appreciate death metal vocals, but they still need to be mostly discernible for me to love them. Kalmah's vocals are simply not very intelligible, while AA has some of the best death growls I've heard since Opeth (yeah, yeah, I know Amon Amarth came first, but I heard Opeth first, so there ). And I honestly love the Viking lyrics (as opposed to lyrics about vengeful fish - talking about Burbot's Revenge).

So AA wins it for me. But both are phenomenal bands and I listen to both very regularly.
28.10.2010 - 01:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 22.10.2010 at 00:16

Written by Dangerboner on 21.10.2010 at 01:59

Your favorite movie too, huh?

It would be if Orlando Bloom was in it tralalalolol his elf was a similar character

I voted for Amon Amarth, but both bands are really overrated. I tend to not like keyboards and Kalmah's style in general, but they're okay I guess
03.11.2010 - 16:32
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 28.10.2010 at 01:13

It would be if Orlando Bloom was in it tralalalolol his elf was a similar character

Really? You think Orlando Bloom is better than Gyllenhaal or Leger? Jeez...
23.05.2011 - 01:09
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Amon Amarth. I like both bands. Amon Amarth is heavier, while Kalmah is more melody oriented. I voted Amon Amarth because they have one of the best growling vocalists (Way better than Kalmah), and they never fail to attract me. Whenever I listen to AA, I feel just like a viking!!
23.05.2011 - 04:18
Yasmine

Written by _Mindrust_ on 22.10.2010 at 01:32

I love Amon Amarth. I could listed to Twilight of the Thunder God album all day... but Kalmah is slightly more talented. I have yet to find a Kalmah song that I don't like.

Therefore my vote goes out to Kalmah.

And yeah, I registered just to vote in this poll. Kalmah doesn't get the exposure they deserve.

Completely agree, Kalmah's lead guitarist displays more technical skills and their arrangements are more complex and lead to better harmony. As for the vocals, I don't like DM in generally, but saying AA's vocalist is better is silly as Pekka does a lot more with his voice. AA's singer only ranges from A#3 to D3 in everything i've heard. You may like it better, but it's a rather simple voice.

Edit: In contrast Kalmah's vocalist generally is F4 to A#2.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u