8.2 | 37 votes |
Release date: 28 March 2005
Style: Dark Ambient , Industrial black metal

Owners:

31 have it
5 want it

01. Deleted Scenes I: In The Hallway Of Crawling Filth
02. The Elevator Beneath The Valve
03. Pendulum Prey (Second Incarceration)
04. Isolation Cubicle 312
05. Entangled In Mannequin Limbs
06. This, Then, Is Paradise?
07. One Day You Will Understand Why
08. Deleted Scenes II: In The Gauze-Womb Of The God Becoming

Guest review by
HugeTheConqeror
Rating:
Beginning with the very first riff of the very first Black Sabbath album, atmosphere has played a significant role in metal music. People who like a lot of atmosphere in their metal will enjoy in Deleted Scenes From the Transition Hospital by Axis of Perdition. Fans who prefer music in their metal will listen about halfway through before they give up in frustration.
The band's priority here is obviously to create a bleak mood. Given that they take their inspiration from the Silent Hill video games and from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell, this is to be expected. However, the product that we are left with here is not a metal album so much as it is the audio track from a horror film. Of the 55:42 that make up this disc, a full 25 minutes of it (by my count) is sound effect - no rhythm, no melody, no instrumentation, no vocals (unless one counts horror-film moaning as vocals). For several more minutes of the remaining portion, the music is dominated by the noise, and is almost undetectable. On those occasions when the guitar actually comes to the fore, it is used as mere accompaniment to the dissonant ringing, static, and metallic clanging that form the core of the sound. The effect is exacerbated by the use of drum machine, which I am sure is meant to further create an atmosphere of urban isolation. Unfortunately, it also strengthens the impression that the group didn't care much about the music part of their craft when creating the album.
To be sure, Axis of Perdition have achieved the desired atmosphere, and I must give credit to them for creating a sense of unease that hasn't been achieved by even some of the bleakest of Atmospheric Black Metal albums. The problem, though, is that the listener has to work too hard for it. Some albums require a close listen in order to appreciate subtleties in the arrangements that, when detected, enhance the experience. In Deleted Scenes, the listener has to pay close attention just to follow along.
This album would be the perfect soundtrack for a Call of Cthulhu role-playing campaign. Under any other circumstances, it is just too laborious to get through.
published 05.06.2008 | Comments (10)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 157 users
05.06.2010 - 00:16
Rating: 9
Got Mayhem?

Disagree with the review here greatly... terrifying piece of metal right here.
----
03.03.2011 - 21:54
The Benighted

Used this album at a Halloween party to great effect.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
15.01.2012 - 02:44
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Good piece of black metal/Black ambient, and very scary. Thanks for showing me this, !J.O.O.E.! .
09.06.2013 - 18:29
mz

Finally got the chance to listen to this one and I liked it. The more ambient oriented tracks are IMO better
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.08.2020 - 23:39
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
If you have Silent Hill 2 and 3 investment under your belt seasoned with Chu Ishikawa to add effect the atmospheric payoff is remarkable. Having experienced this on both sides of initially without any aforementioned, afterward thoroughly makes this album stronger and thought lasting when you do, thus better understanding is applied to its layers. You can almost picture Brookhaven and next.

I found it better then the former tight and compact as hell literal in every sense Less Welcome record. Main contrary to that is where this allows an illude chance of a wind down upon execution for a break and conceptualise a bit more and that's where it excels in its layered slower, laborious, torturing mechanical glitching structural patterns only to catch you off guard. Sounds familiar?

My gripe only is the clear British accent vocals that are all too annoyingly familiar and it's good they recently got rid of them. Although I can't blame them for trying it cuts the tension in the worst way to which the aforementioned influences never truthfully did lose it during sombre parts.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

Hits total: 7051 | This month: 14