Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden - New Album Details And Song Online

The release date for Iron Maiden's new studio album The Final Frontier is now confirmed for Monday 16th August. The new album features artwork illustrated by Melvyn Grant and, to mark the occasion, the band have made special arrangements for one new album track "El Dorado" to be made available Worldwide as a FREE digital download MP3 with immediate effect. Click here for your free download (US fans, go here).

Singer Bruce Dickinson explains: "El Dorado" is a preview of the forthcoming studio album. As we will be including it in the set of our Final Frontier World Tour (all dates here) we thought it would be great to thank all our fans and get them into The Final Frontier mood by giving them this song up front of the tour and album release."

The band reunited with long-time Maiden producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley in early 2010 at Compass Point Studios, Nassau to record the album and then moved to LA to finish the recording and do the mixing. Compass Point Studio is very familiar to the band, it was where they recorded the Piece Of Mind ('83), Powerslave ('84) and Somewhere In Time ('86) albums.

Bruce comments: "The studio had the same vibe and it was exactly as it had been in 1983, nothing had changed! Even down to the broken shutter in the corner... same carpet... everything... It was really quite spooky. But we felt very relaxed in such a familiar and well-trodden environment and I think this shows in the playing and the atmosphere of the album."

Thirty years on from their eponymous debut album in April 1980, The Final Frontier will be Maiden's 15th studio album, making a remarkable average of a new album every two years for 30 years and totalling over 80 million album sales during this period.

The Final Frontier [cover art] tracklist:

01. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
02. El Dorado
03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Source: ironmaiden.com
Band profile: Iron Maiden
Posted: 08.06.2010 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 475 users
08.06.2010 - 11:50
GT
Coffee!!
A really nice cover. If I weren't at work I would be listening to the song this instant. Now I have to wait
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.06.2010 - 12:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Okay, first off....the cover is okay, but I think it would be more effective if the guy Eddie is killing was still alive, and hadnt become a skeleton yet. lol I also think Derek Riggs would have made it look more warm and organic. But still, I think its a pretty kewl cover!

Well, Maiden for the first time EVER have changed their sound! "El Dorado" sounds like something Roy Z would write for one of Bruce's solo albums. Which isnt a bad thing at all really, its different though! Some fans may take some time to warm to it. I really love it though!

The solo break is Smith/Murray/Gers. I really love Janick's solo on this one! I'll be very happy if the rest of the new album is like this. Unoriginal titles though..."The Alchemist" is the title of a song from "The Chemical Wedding", and "The Man Who Would Be King" is a song from Dio's "Master Of The Moon"!
08.06.2010 - 12:26
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by GT on 08.06.2010 at 11:50

A really nice cover. If I weren't at work I would be listening to the song this instant. Now I have to wait

If I weren't attending a lecture at this moment, I would be listening to the song this instant! Now I have to wait as well
For the cover, it seems that bands are relying more and more on 3D graphics, which I personally don't find appealing. The artwork of Heaven and Hell last album and Iron Maiden's Dance of Death had the same style. For me, I prefer old-fashioned stuff; like that of the 80's.
08.06.2010 - 12:34
BudDa

Love the galloping bass throughout the song
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
08.06.2010 - 13:18
Fallen'Angel

Not bad at all ..
----
Im Your Source of Self-Destruction !
08.06.2010 - 13:34
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Wicked! The cover looks really nice! Poor Eddie...
The song is nice too. The galloping bass bring a nice touch.. and reminds me of 'Barracuda'(?)
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.06.2010 - 14:09
Pimpelmee
Amazing Mapman
Where's Eddie?
08.06.2010 - 14:36
Lord_Regnier

Quite boring song. And Bruce sounds so sleep-inducing compared to the 80s.
Looks like it takes much more than using the same old studio to re-create the old vibe.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.06.2010 - 14:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
I am not at all impressed and I'm a huge Maiden fanboy.
Ah well, I'm still excited.
----
08.06.2010 - 15:29
Vykintas

Written by Dark Blood on 08.06.2010 at 13:34

...and reminds me of 'Barracuda'(?)

Indeed it does Sounds nice after the first listen
08.06.2010 - 16:06
elseif

I like this
08.06.2010 - 16:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm, quite heavier than your typical maiden song, i guess it's not anything mindblowing, but like with Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg it might grow on me in time

Written by Angelic Storm on 08.06.2010 at 12:15

"The Man Who Would Be King" is a song from Dio's "Master Of The Moon"!

don't forget the last verse of "Revelations": "for the man who would be king, the watcher in the ring"
08.06.2010 - 16:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, why i am in school, where i cannot listen to the music?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.06.2010 - 17:59
Sasa RS

Don't like the artwork really, personally one of the less quality. I really miss Derek Riggs. But, what is really matter, song is good although it's another songs that starts with Bruce is telling us something. My little daughter quite like it. Every new Maiden album is something special so i don't see why this would be an exception. So, UP THE IRONS!
08.06.2010 - 18:38
juanopereira

Everything is differente here... but I liked it and the essence is still there. It's incredible than after 30 years of making music this guys are still innovating.
08.06.2010 - 19:21
BrutalTyrant

I like the track... I had to listen to it a couple of times to get it... For some reason this track feels to me like if Dream Theather and Iron Maiden had a love-child, there is some progrssive-ish thing going on IMO
08.06.2010 - 19:55
whitepawel

I hope that rest of the songs will be better. Cause this one sucks
08.06.2010 - 20:02
Baz Anderson

I'm not convinced yet.
08.06.2010 - 20:53
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
First things first. That cover artwork is pretty good, keeping in the tradition of the past Iron Maiden album covers with Eddie. This completely destroys the Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death artwork.

Now for the song...Boring. Just like modern day Iron Maiden since Brave New World. Bruce's vocals are actually painful to listen to; I wish he would just show song range and power, but instead he shows little of this, relying on whispering and throaty screams. Nothing from the guitars really sets it out, aside from the solo which was alright. The galloping bass is not bad, but I wish there was more enthusiasm. I expected a more technical drum section, something that would capture my attention.
And as for the lyrics...PATHETIC compared to what I expect from Iron Maiden. Dance of Death was great because of the lyrics and because we saw glimpses of technicality and Bruce's vocals were incredible; it's really the only album since Brave New World I actually half enjoyed. So far, A Matter of Life and Death and this one song are really sub-par. What's missing is enthusiasm; what I see is just repetition and not innovation, which is what I need from new Iron Maiden material in order to rank it well.

Track: 3.5/10. (Harsh, most likely, but I'm sick and tired of hearing the same old Iron Maiden).
08.06.2010 - 21:52
DreamNightmare

Written by Irritable Ted on 08.06.2010 at 21:14

Not keen on the cover a bit too cartoony, looks like some Dead Space rip-off.

So i'm not the only one who thought the idea was borrowed from Dead Space lol. I was naievely hoping that Derek Riggs would contribute the artwork considering this may be the last Maiden Album! oh well. The song sounded allright i liked the heaviness but i'm hoping it's the weakest track on the album. I guess the most important thing is that a new Maiden album means a new Maiden tour! and that's all that matters. Up the Irons!
08.06.2010 - 22:41
Tiago_pinto

Cool cover...average song, wait to see more
09.06.2010 - 00:05
moe5512

The song wasnt really good :/ it was boring listening to it and it sounded that it was difficult for bruce to sing which is weird...
09.06.2010 - 00:25
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 08.06.2010 at 20:53

Now for the song...Boring. Just like modern day Iron Maiden since Brave New World. Bruce's vocals are actually painful to listen to

Pretty much my own thougts. Maiden's material since Bruce's comeback doesn't necessarily suck (though it sucks at times) but it's so utterly boring I find it painful to listen to.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.06.2010 - 00:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lord_Regnier on 09.06.2010 at 00:25

Written by Guest on 08.06.2010 at 20:53

Now for the song...Boring. Just like modern day Iron Maiden since Brave New World. Bruce's vocals are actually painful to listen to

Pretty much my own thougts. Maiden's material since Bruce's comeback doesn't necessarily suck (though it sucks at times) but it's so utterly boring I find it painful to listen to.

Ditto.

Bruce sounds as bored as I am with this song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.06.2010 - 01:37
Tornado Of Souls

The song sounds really good to me, i dont see how the vocals sound like he was bored.
09.06.2010 - 01:58
distorted rage

Put me down for the limited edition picture disc!
----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
09.06.2010 - 02:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Tornado Of Souls on 09.06.2010 at 01:37

The song sounds really good to me, i dont see how the vocals sound like he was bored.

There does seem to be really divided opinions about "El Dorado". I dont think Bruce sounds bored. Its just with the style of song that it is. The riffing is more simplistic, and Bruce's vocals are just fitting in with that. But of course, this isnt the first time Bruce's vocals have been criticised. As far back as 1990, some weren't happy with his more raspy, aggressive vocals on "No Prayer For The Dying". I myself really like ths new song, it is different for Maiden, but I love his solo stuff, which is what it sounds like, so its okay by me....
09.06.2010 - 06:06
Symmachus

I find the cover to be pretty cool. It is rather original. I find the comments and mixed reviews here to be interesting.
09.06.2010 - 07:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Not a bad song but not that good either; and I'm not demanding much...
09.06.2010 - 10:37
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh holy shit! Eddie has been eating lot's of vegetables or what? He got grew a lot in the last years! Still the cover kicks ass!

Oh yeah, the song... oh well, it's quite simple, I wouldn't say boring, just plainly average, I'll have to wait to listen the whole album, that way maybe I'd like it with the whole flow of songs.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 8539 | This month: 6