02. Röd Puls
03. Vredens Trolldom
04. Visioner Om En Ödslig Framtid

Black 'n' roll
Sweden
Frostscald Records

Line-up on the CD:
Graav - vocals, all instruments

In June 2010 Frostscald Records decided to re-release LIK's entire discography (a whopping three albums) for the convenience of those who missed out on the first wave of the band's recordings. There is no official website or even fan pages dedicated to the band, making LIK a very difficult subject to write about in terms of history and facts. Why not talk about the music then?

LIK really crapped the bag with this release. After avoiding a sophomore jinx by way of doling out a much more mature album, Graav takes it back to square one with this EP-grade full-length release. Gone is the hearty bass (well, I guess it's still here, but it's almost a non-factor) and added melody, the eerie Gothic atmosphere, the Agalloch-inspired sections - gone, all of it, except for the folk-inspired chants in Swedish. What we have here instead is a stronger Må Ljuset Aldrig Nå Oss Mer, which would have worked better as an expanded edition CD rather than an entirely separate release.

Rock 'n' roll is the name of the game again, without the soul but somehow more accomplished. This is likely due to the fact that the foundation for this sound was already laid four years prior to the album's publication, which creates a sort of Behemoth effect. The Apostasy was a direct follow-up to the to the foundation laid by Demigod, but where Demigod fell short, The Apostasy picked up and added more solidarity to the original structure. Does this mean Behemoth improved? Far from it. It just means an original concept was further added to, losing its integral creativity but gaining strength from the process of editing and revising, much like your average essay: rough draft to final copy.

What works best for Lekamen Illusionen Kallet is its brevity. And that isn't because it's more artful and organic; rather, these 25 minutes are just much easier to take on compared to the 10-minute longer debut. Perhaps LIK decided, during the recording process of Må Ljuset Aldrig Nå Oss Mer, that releasing one long boring debut would be less marketable than releasing two shorter boring albums.

Again, this isn't to say all is bad. The strong points, though few and far between, can be found on tracks like the instrumental "Visioner Om En Ödslig Framtid", with its hazy guitar and playful cymbal work; the occult whispers heard throughout "Röd Puls", bringing back atmosphere that is sorely missing on the rest of the album; and "Vredens Trolldom"'s encompassing riff around the 3-minute mark, pulling the song together with a lot more attitude.

While not a strong follow-up to Besvärtade Strofer, Lekamen Illusionen Kallet is still stronger and more tolerable than LIK's debut overall.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 10.06.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 60 users
11.06.2010 - 18:56
Mikyz

I read all 3 reviews, even if your reviews didn't make me want to check LIK out, your hard work did. So I listened to a couple of songs and yeah I agree completely with everything you said, it's more annoying than anything specially the drum work, the lack of bass is also a downside for me. Nevertheless, good job with the reviews and keep them coming.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
11.06.2010 - 19:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mikyz on 11.06.2010 at 18:56

I read all 3 reviews, even if your reviews didn't make me want to check LIK out, your hard work did. So I listened to a couple of songs and yeah I agree completely with everything you said, it's more annoying than anything specially the drum work, the lack of bass is also a downside for me. Nevertheless, good job with the reviews and keep them coming.

Thanks for reading (and the support)!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2010 - 19:18
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2010 at 19:05

Thanks for reading (and the support)!

Troy for president!!! hahaha

Well, 3 reviews in one shot! I don't think I'll check this albums soon, but I got the point about the music of this band, thanks
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
11.06.2010 - 19:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daggon on 11.06.2010 at 19:18

Troy for president!!! hahaha

Well, 3 reviews in one shot! I don't think I'll check this albums soon, but I got the point about the music of this band, thanks

It took me two weeks to write them, so it wasn't exactly a 24-hour effort. Glad I got the point across though; I can honestly say this band isn't bad, but they aren't good either.

Oh, and that's "Troy for prime minister", bub!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4304 | This month: 8