Style: Indie rock, Industrial rock
Release date: June 2010

01. The Space In Between
02. Parasite
03. Fur Lined
04. BBB
05. The Believers
06. A Drowning

How To Destroy Angels is the new "supergroup" made up of Trent Reznor, his WILF Mariqueen Maandig and Atticus "Third Wheel" Ross. They recently digitally released a self-titled debut EP so lets take a look and see what we're dealing with here...

Well, sadly, this EP is a somewhat meh release. While not being utter rubbish by any stretch of the imagination, it does have some glaring problems that certainly need to be dealt with for when it is time for the band to release a full-length album. There is potential here for sure but no indication that it will be realized anytime soon. These are some talented people here; however, they are too stuck on conventions previously established by Nine Inch Nails. Actually, it can easily be argued that this is simply NIN with a female vocalist. In fact - this is what I'm doing:

This is NIN with a female vocalist.

Mariqueen's vocal lines even resemble those that would fit Trent's voice. It's a little annoying frankly since if I'm to listen to new NIN material, I'd prefer it to be performed by the real deal and not by some chick who Trent happens to be banging. There are few parts here that Trent couldn't have sung himself and the music that accompanies them is also very similar to the neo-post-punk glitch electro of With Teeth and The Slip. The only exception that I can identify is the great EP closer "A Drowning" - a moody, impressive little song. For the full-length, the band should definitely capitalize on this kind of style. Also, Mariqueen's role in the band needs to be highlighted, her personality identified and her confidence as a front-woman heightened. Otherwise, she will always remain in her husband's shadow, unable to transcend the notion that she is just a stand-in while we wait for new NIN material.

Also... why so miserable? "I don't think I can / Save myself... / I'm drowning here, please / Anyone?". Aren't they newly weds? Shouldn't they be happy? It must really be the land of sunshine at the Reznor mansion.

Written on 12.06.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 155 users
12.06.2010 - 19:06
oroboros

Lol @ WILF....seriously tho this review is spot on...this is so neo post punk
12.06.2010 - 20:09
Ag Fox
Angel No More
>I'd prefer it to be performed by the real deal and not by some chick who Trent happens to be banging.
rofl

can't see the image you linked though
----
loves 小巫
12.06.2010 - 21:03
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Damn, this is exactly what i thought when listening to this album. Both the wilf part and female fronted NIN.
12.06.2010 - 21:58
Thryce
Retired Staff
NIN with a female vocalist is indeed an accurate wrap-up of this project.

Miserable or not, "A Drowning" is perhaps one of the best songs on this EP.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
12.06.2010 - 22:46
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Same feeling here, same weirdness with another voice. More of the same. I've never been a fan of NIN, and I'm deffinitely not a fan of HTDA.
Meh.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.06.2010 - 09:53
LethargyMan

Yeah. I tend to agree. Kinda how the Saul Williams album Trent produced ended up sounding like a NIN hip-hop album (which I actually enjoyed quite a bit!). HtDA isn't a bad album. It's essentially NIN, but slower paced and with a greater focus on repetition. Its best asset, unfortunately, is that it's free.

However, the new song Trent made for the movie Tetsuo: The Bullet Man is quite awesome. If this is the direction NIN is going to go, then I wholeheartedly approve.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
13.06.2010 - 15:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Ag Fox on 12.06.2010 at 20:09

>I'd prefer it to be performed by the real deal and not by some chick who Trent happens to be banging.
rofl

Hmm, the image should work, its linked properly.
14.06.2010 - 14:07
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by jupitreas on 13.06.2010 at 15:09

Written by Ag Fox on 12.06.2010 at 20:09

rofl

Hmm, the image should work, its linked properly.

It doesn't. Also doesn't work when I copy/paste the link.
14.06.2010 - 23:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I can see the picture without problem
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.01.2011 - 17:31
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
The NIN monkey is not an easy one to get off their back.........

Hits total: 7386 | This month: 6