05. Manannán
06. A Nation In Ruins
07. The Gaelic Twilight
08. Back To Éire

Gaelic Doom metal
Recorded: Apollo Studios, Ireland 2009
Label: Grau Records
Total Running Time: 45:27

Mael Mórdha are nothing less than the epitome of metal epicness. Despite being around for more than ten years and despite being considerably skilled, Mael Mórdha have never been a big ticket item... which is a sad thing... especially if you haven't heard of them before, as you're missing out on a truly great band.

Manannán is the band's third epos and portrays the heroic tales of the Irish sea deity called - you guessed it - Manannán. Just like on their previous releases, Mael Mórdha unleash a tremendous burst of heavy doom metal with several traditional Gaelic touches. Still intact are the well-written and well-executed hymns and fierce yet bewitching melodies. But the piano-driven passages are completely gone now. Either way, it's still ear-catching Metal with plenty of meat to the bone.

In case you're wondering, yes, this is quite a unique sounding band. Though one other group that will inevitably come to mind is Primordial. And also the mostly clean, and above all heartfelt, vocals remind by times of those of Nemtheanga. Even though the similarities are there, the big difference is that Mael Mórdha are a tad less galloping than their fellow country brethren. In any case, if you're an enthused fan of any of the things I mentioned up till this point, you have a must-listen on your hands. A must-listen.

Furthermore, Mael Mórdha is a band that knows exactly how to move the listener in several unexpected ways. There are times when you feel as powerful and sturdy as a fearsome warlord ready for battle. On other parts you see yourself gazing over forgotten Irish landscapes in an inescapable aura of melancholia. In any case, you'll feel struck by lightning as the massive influx of pure epicness is never far away.

Mael Mórdha makes about the same impression as a circus lion. A lion in a cage isn't such a big deal, but once in the spotlights, you'll be amazed by its strength and majestic pride.

Written by Thryce | 14.06.2010

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 174 users
14.06.2010 - 17:53
Got Mayhem?
Sweet, I've heard of this band a long time ago but never remembered to check them out. So thanks for the reminder!
----
14.06.2010 - 18:27
MeloDeathViking
This sounds awesome, definitely gonna check them out.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
14.06.2010 - 19:25
Rating: 7
HardSide
Thats great and all, but is it better then the older albums, heavier, less heavy? did he change his vocals to harsher tone like he did with the last album...
14.06.2010 - 20:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why I read it? Now I realy wanna hear it, I thought its Marcel's review LOL
realy I hope i get it soon
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.06.2010 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Never liked Mael Mordha, and this one doesn't change that for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2010 - 00:18
A truly great band and one who more and more should check out, just love their sound.
----
Kill And Eat The Weak!
15.06.2010 - 04:49
Rating: 10
Damned-In-Black
This is one of my favourites so far this year. I agree it's a must-hear.

Hits total: 6440 | This month: 4