01. Fuck The World Of Media
02. The New System Failed
03. Death Alive
04. Eyes Cannibalism
05. Architects Of Sense
06. Valves Devaluation
07. The Fall Of A Present Civilization
08. Brand New Hell

Ugh. What an ugly cover. The music must be shit too.

Wrong.

Effect Murder is one of those bands that is completely unheard of but actually plays music as if they are the most seasoned of pros. Architects Of Sense is a surprisingly awesome release from these representatives of the Polish underground. The cover art might be atrocious but the music on the disc is some truly solid and enjoyable death metal.

I like how non-pretentious this release is. This is simply no-bullshit death metal with a focus on songwriting and keeping it interesting. Although great care is obviously given to spice up every song with something surprising, we're mostly dealing with predominantly technical death metal, albeit with a keen sense of groove. By far the biggest achievement that Effect Murder pulls off on this release is not overdoing anything, focusing instead on performing a sophisticated balancing act. The band never indulges in endless, exhausting brutal pummel-fests or wanders off in overly technical mindfuck tangents. Instead, we get to enjoy flawless compositional dynamics, with the standard death metal assault being augmented by many excellent thrashy breaks, classic metal riffs, cool guitar solos and pounding bass interludes. For example, "The Fall Of A Present Civilization" slows things down considerably only to explode with barrages of caustic blast-beats and sizzling jazz sax (!!!).

Nevertheless, Effect Murder never overdo it with crazy compositions either. Everything is just right to make this a fun and enjoyable album of flawless death metal. There is no room for agonizing, sick extremity or for a cartoonish dark atmosphere here, its all about varied songwriting, lyrics about normal stuff and great death metal. Sometimes, this is exactly what we need. For these occasions, Architects Of Sense comes highly recommended.

Written on 15.06.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 87 users
15.06.2010 - 16:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Simply put this sounds amazing. I'll be looking into this ASAP.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2010 - 11:28
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Truly enjoyable album. I really liked it album very much and nice review btw.
19.06.2010 - 17:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Hm. At times this sounds like a mix between Bloodbath and Daath. I'm not sure what to make of it...

It isn't bad, but it isn't as good as I was hoping it would be.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.07.2010 - 10:03
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
I think it sounds kinda like Gormageddon by Aborted, but its awesome
09.10.2010 - 00:17
Ragana
Rawrcat
Cool. Mentioning Bloodbath and Aborted has made me want to hear this for the sake of old times, of course.

And yeah, the cover art does suck.

Hits total: 5380 | This month: 5