Metal Storm logo
MIDI black metal?

15.06.2010 - 20:48
Hguols
I've taken a different approach to making music. (well, I've been told what I'm doing is unconventional)

I've worked with MIDI and sequencing music for a long time.
A year back, I put myself up to the challenge of making some MIDI black metal as a joke - turns out, it has a pretty decent sound.

With this decent sound (the project's name is Hguols), I managed to get on a small label, and this project has really taken off. Two releases and a shirt thus far.

Some people find the originality of a different approach to black metal a breath of fresh air.
Some people find that it's 100% instrumental music (no vocals) that it actually has more atmosphere.
Some people find that with the vocals missing, the music feels like its missing something.
Some people don't think I'm kvlt enough, and see Hguols as a video game sounding mockery to their scene.

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? I'm all for the input!

If you want to here some songs for yourself, the banner or myspace link can hook you up.

Thank you for your attention!

15.06.2010 - 22:14
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I like it... much better than any MIDI I've ever done.
16.06.2010 - 06:17
Hguols
Thanks for the input guys!
17.06.2010 - 19:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hey, black metal isn't quite my thing, but this really sounds great for a MIDI(and i'm fairly sure it's a million times easier to record). the only thing i object to is your ridiculous logo
18.06.2010 - 22:16
Hguols
HAHAHA!!! That's the first criticism I've heard of the logo.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!
19.06.2010 - 00:27
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I'm impressed !!

and also, you managed to prove that black metal can be easily home-recorded, even without a guitar ! coz if you use any sound editing software to "distort" the "lead midi" it would sound like a raw-digitally-distorted-guitar like in most metal bands ... if you add vocals to that u got yourself a real black metal project (but it wont be controversial as your MIDI thing so it probably wouldn't sell as much... marketing strategy talk )
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
08.07.2010 - 15:20
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Zombie on 19.06.2010 at 00:27

you managed to prove that black metal can be easily home-recorded

Come on dude, at least half it not more of black metal is still recorded on four tracks with shitty mics and crap gear.

OP: Not my thing dude, at best I dig the symphonic elements. Mixture of surprise and impressed that you got on a label though.
10.08.2010 - 23:41
Hguols
I'd say about all the true black metal bands still record raw/lo-fi. It's ok if its done well, like what Sargeist does or what Darkthrone did.

Other facets of black metal, especially if there's orchestration involved, the production ante has to be upped.

Once again, I appreciate the comments.
Ezz_zombie, 100% instrumental music has turned into a bit of a niche for me.

Bitter Dawn, most of the bands on the label I'm on are quite experimental.
I fit in well there.

www.barrenmeadowsrecordings.com
25.10.2010 - 14:11
Throne Dweller
It's kind of an insult to every other musician in the world who only uses midi as a writing tool.
27.11.2010 - 19:15
Hguols
Written by Throne Dweller on 25.10.2010 at 14:11

It's kind of an insult to every other musician in the world who only uses midi as a writing tool.

HAHAHA!!! I take that as a compliment!
14.05.2011 - 08:57
Sombre
Mmm midi black metal? I heard a lot of VSTI or something like that.