Metal Storm logo
Vicious Rumors

Original post

Posted by Hellish Star, 16.08.2006 - 23:45
VICIOUS RUMORS is a band with a rich history in metal. They did release 8 albums and albums like "Digital dictator", " Vicious rumors", "Word of mouth" and "Soldiers of the night" are real classic albums in the metal scène.

The previous singer was Carl Albert (RIP) who died to soon. He was one of the best vocalists in the metal scène ever. Nowadays James Rivera (Helstar, Seven Witches, Destiny's End, Distant Thunder, Killing Machine) is the vocalist.
Check them at http://www.myspace.com/viciousrumors

and

www.vicious rumors.com

The new album will be released soon and sounds very promising:

VICIOUS RUMORS NEW C.D.!! "WARBALL" has just been completed. "WARBALL" is the ninth studio album and twelvth official release. Produced by Geoff Thorpe and Juan J. Orteaga. Recorded, mixed and mastered by Juan J. Orteaga at Trident Studios in Pacheco, CA. www.tridentstudios.com

This is the first Vicious Rumors album with Geoff Thorpe doing all rhythm and acoustic guitars and most of the solos. "In the past I've always split the guitar duties up with our other guitarist. As I re-built the band, I decided to knock it out myself. I always planned to have some special guests on the record, and it turned out great".

For the WARBALL C.D. Geoff Thorpe re-unites with original members Larry Howe, Drums and Vocals, and Dave Starr on Bass Guitar. "It felt great to have the original nucleus together again," Geoff said. " Larry and Dave are a tight knit veteran rhythum section that really stepped up on this new C.D. The years of working together definately helped create the Metal Mayhem of WARBALL". Also joining Vicious Rumors is vocal legend James Rivera (Hellstar, Seven Witches). James brings a true Metal Spirit and sonic bombardment to the V.R. music. James shows off a wide range of vocal styles on WARBALL that Metal fans worldwide will soon be witness to.

Brad Gillis ( Ozze Osbourne/ Night Ranger) also makes a very special-guest appearance on five songs blowing some crazy guitar solos and harmony solos with Geoff. Brad's legendary performance taking over for the late Randy Rhoads in Ozze can not be forgotten. Multi-platinum success with Night Ranger would follow. And now Brad returns to Metal in 2006 in Vicious Rumors with WARBALL.

Thaen Rasmussen also plays guitar on three songs on WARBALL and has already been on tour with V.R. . Thaen hails from the S.F. Bay Area band Anvil Chorus. Thaen's monster guitar playing fits perfect on WARBALL. You will also see Thaen on tour with the band.

WARBALL features ten new original songs. Some of the titles to look for; Sonic Rebellion, Mr. Miracle, Dying Every Day, Immortal and the epic "WARBALL". The C.D. to be released this October 2006' on Mascot Records with the World War Tour to follow. Soon to be an all-time classic, from the Metal Giants VICIOUS RUMORS. "WARBALL" , more solos, more double-bass, more sub-sonic thunder, more Metal.
22.05.2007 - 14:41
Thryce
Retired Staff
Vicious Rumors fans were recently invited to vote for the songs to be featured in the band's setlist at this year's Bang Your Head Festival, scheduled for June 22nd - 23rd at Messegelände in Balingen, Germany. The setlist has been chosen and guitarist Geoff Thorpe has issued the following statement:

"Hello my friends,

Thank you for taking the time to vote on the VR songs you want live at the BYH festival. VR is for the people and this set is for you - we added songs we haven't played in years! Have a great time at BYH this year. Don't miss the club party - VR is gonna do a 90 minute killer set there as well. Thanks for all the great years of support!!

All the best,
Geoff Thorpe"

The setlist will be as follows:

Digital Dictator
Minute To Kill
Soldiers Of The Night
Sonic Rebellion
Don't Wait For Me
Lady Took A Chance
Abandoned
March Or Die
Immortal
Down To The Temple
Hellrazor

---------------
Wow, they sure can play that setlist again on Meetjesland Metalfest!!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
08.08.2007 - 13:43
okt31
Account deleted
Wow!! It would be nice if they played the same set-list in Bucharest, on the tour, in September. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!
And a little more as it's not a festival. For example Towns on Fire, Mr. Miracle, Dying Every Day, Something Burning.. Anyway.. If all those songs listed above will be in the Romanian set-list I'm a happy man!
25.08.2007 - 20:45
Remus

I just discovered these guys. Their web-site offers quite a comprehensive selection of (full-length) songs taken from various albums, so now i'm downloading those.

"Paint it Black" is so well done - the vocals, the guitar licks - i really think it's better than the 'Stones version.

The rest of their songs (only listened to about 4) have tremendously heavy riffs but not many melodies. If you asess the band member's individual skills you see that they are quite talented but as a whole, i don't know... I just need to listen to them some more but so far, not bad, not bat at all.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
09.03.2009 - 15:24
DayFly

Written by Remus on 25.08.2007 at 20:45

I just discovered these guys. Their web-site offers quite a comprehensive selection of (full-length) songs taken from various albums, so now i'm downloading those.

"Paint it Black" is so well done - the vocals, the guitar licks - i really think it's better than the 'Stones version.

The rest of their songs (only listened to about 4) have tremendously heavy riffs but not many melodies. If you asess the band member's individual skills you see that they are quite talented but as a whole, i don't know... I just need to listen to them some more but so far, not bad, not bat at all.

Strange, I always thought their album were pretty hook-laden for US power metal. You might want to try the self-titled album and "Word Of Mouth". Both are a more influenced by traditional heavy metal and thus more immediately accessible.
09.03.2009 - 21:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 09.03.2009 at 15:24

Written by Remus on 25.08.2007 at 20:45

Strange, I always thought their album were pretty hook-laden for US power metal. You might want to try the self-titled album and "Word Of Mouth". Both are a more influenced by traditional heavy metal and thus more immediately accessible.

I would recommend Digital Dictator instead, that album has it all, great hooks, nice heavy power, memorable songs. For me that album will always be the highpoint of their career.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 22:24
Hellish Star

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 21:57

I would recommend Digital Dictator instead, that album has it all, great hooks, nice heavy power, memorable songs. For me that album will always be the highpoint of their career.

Hell yeah, a classic one!!!!! Songs like "Digital dictator" and "Lady took a chance" are godlike!!!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.03.2009 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hellish Star on 09.03.2009 at 22:24

Hell yeah, a classic one!!!!! Songs like "Digital dictator" and "Lady took a chance" are godlike!!!

Does that bring back misty eyed moments of seeing them at Arrdschokdag back in the day playing those songs, WOW
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 23:29
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 22:31

Written by Hellish Star on 09.03.2009 at 22:24

Does that bring back misty eyed moments of seeing them at Arrdschokdag back in the day playing those songs, WOW

Well I personally also like Digital Dictator best (the seminal US power metal album in my opinion), but still the two albums I mentioned are perhaps a better starting point, along with Sadistic Symphony. I think it's a regrettably underrated album. If it hadn't the rotten luck of being released directly after Vicious Rumors' identity crisis so to speak, it would be held in the same regard as their Albert-era albums.
14.03.2009 - 20:16
Hellish Star

Watch out for the new Vicious Rumors singer: he's outstanding!
----

22.08.2009 - 00:33
DayFly

I already made a similar post in the review to Digital Dictator, but this is such great news there can be no harm in double posting. Digital Dictator has been reissued and is to be rereleased on the 8th of September. Be sure to pick it up.
22.08.2009 - 00:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 22.08.2009 at 00:33

I already made a similar post in the review to Digital Dictator, but this is such great news there can be no harm in double posting. Digital Dictator has been reissued and is to be rereleased on the 8th of September. Be sure to pick it up.

Is it also remastered? Does it have bonus tracks? Are there any extensive liner notes? If one of the three can be answered with yes I will also pick it up and then use my vinly just to look at.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2009 - 01:24
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.08.2009 at 00:53

Written by DayFly on 22.08.2009 at 00:33

Is it also remastered? Does it have bonus tracks? Are there any extensive liner notes? If one of the three can be answered with yes I will also pick it up and then use my vinly just to look at.

I don't know, there has been no official statement as of yet, this is just retailer information. The band, or rather the band's webmaster sucks at updating their site. I'll probably pick one up regardless, as my old record player doesn't work too good anymore. Besides the vinyl has gotten too precious to play . I'll leave another notice in two weeks or so.
07.12.2009 - 12:32
DayFly

Is it true they changed their singer again?
07.12.2009 - 15:21
Charly546

Written by DayFly on 07.12.2009 at 12:32

Yes. Ronnie Stixx quitted and Brian Allen was recruited.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131399
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131460
07.12.2009 - 16:09
DayFly

You know, I was hoping for a source other than blabbermouth.
07.12.2009 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 07.12.2009 at 16:09

You know, I was hoping for a source other than blabbermouth.

Well, that same thought crossed my mind, btw.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.12.2009 - 19:06
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by DayFly on 07.12.2009 at 12:32

Ronnie Stixx did indeed quit VR, last Thursday already btw, that much is true. He announced it himself on his MySpace.

I'm keeping an eye on the VR forum for an official confirmation of the new singer, but so far no updates.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.03.2011 - 20:26
Hellish Star

New album is F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! ! !
----

06.04.2011 - 22:15
thehondo

Yes!! The new album is absolutely Razorback Killer!! Brian Allen is great! Of coarse the guitars are phenomenal. This sounds more like the Albert era. Can anyone reccomend a current band similar?
----
No time like the present
07.04.2011 - 00:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Really amazing band, who sadly never really achieved the level of success they deserved. The first thing I heard from them was "Welcome To The Ball" in the early 90's, and I've loved them ever since. So many great albums, and the latest is also great stuff. Definitely for me, the seminal and best, US power metal band. "Digital Dictator" defiinitely set the standard for all others to follow. xD
07.04.2011 - 03:57
Yasmine

I'm checking them out for the first time, though I've heard of them before.

Totally into them, listened to the first 2 albums, Glad I've got new things to listen to while I lay around in pain after surgery. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.04.2011 - 14:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Yasmine on 07.04.2011 at 03:57

I'm checking them out for the first time, though I've heard of them before.

Totally into them, listened to the first 2 albums, Glad I've got new things to listen to while I lay around in pain after surgery. lol

although I love the debut Soldiers Of The Night it doesn't come close to the US power perfection which was to follow on Digital Dictator.
Soldiers Of The Nights is imo let down by the really thin and trebly production and by Gary St. Pierre's shrieking vocals(thank God he left the band after this album. I prefer him on One Nation Underground by Hawaii with Friedman alongside him) however Soldiers Of The Night does of course feature Vinnie Moore on guitars.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2011 - 14:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The first album has awful production, but I like a lot of the songs, and the solos are amazing. "Digital Dictator" is just on another level though, in terms of production, power, and has an insane level of song quality. But the fact the debut isn't as great as that album, isnt really doing it a dis-service, as it is an all time classic album it's up against. lol

Also must recommend "Welcome To The Ball", I love that album so much. Definitely my 2nd favourite album by them, very classy metal, even though at times it has the aggression of "Digital Dictator". Masterful stuff. xD
07.04.2011 - 21:33
Tormentor666

Well, I don't really care about that kind of production in "Soldiers of the Night", in fact, that kind of production is quite usual in 80s US metal. It is still a great album, of course. But I personally prefer any of the albums with Carl Albert on vocals, especially "Digital Dictator" and "Welcome to the Ball", for me their best albums, no doubt.

As for the newest album, I fucking love it. It totally hooked me up, although it sounds a bit "slow" in some moments. Possibly one of the year's best albums so far.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07.04.2011 - 22:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The first 3 albums with Carl Albert are just ridiculously high quality metal albums. Although I do think the self-titled is eclipsed by the albums it's sandwiched between, I still think it is great, and some of my very fave VR songs are from that album. xD