06. Abducted
07. Paradox
08. Point Of No Return
09. When The Candle Fades
10. Carved Up
11. Reflection
12. Slippin' Away
13. Drained

This release represents another case in which an album serves as prompt for a successful new direction in a band's sound. Abducted can be considered the cleaner, brighter and slightly emotional twin brother of The Fourth Dimension. And although the filthy twin was the truly responsible for the primordial subtle clues of this new sound directions, it was on 1996's Abducted that everything was organized to redirect a higher percentage of all stylistic, lyrical and audio features towards this inevitable incipient path.

One of the circumstances that had enabled Hypocrisy to strengthen these different sound approaches was the departure of Magnus Bromberg (in order to join Dark Funeral as "Emperor Magus Caligula") which has allowed Peter Tägtgren to take over the lead vocals in 1994. Tägtgren's voice, in both ''twin'' albums, along with his famous admiration for alien novels and reports of assumed experiences with extraterrestrial entities, had literally dragged the band further from the old school Death Metal roots.

Further but not faded, as the brutal remnants complement a large portion of the album, such as ''Killing Art'' and ''Abducted'' are pure Death Metal, and along with the melodic atmospheric features had basically shaped the essence that defines Hypocrisy as a different band. And this essence is of a Melodic Death Metal without correlation to Gothenburg Metal (at least until the mid-2000s), which Abducted represents perfectly through 70% of its time-length. Meaning that at least seven tracks presents the same formula with slow paced catchy riffs, a simple drum work accompanying the flow conducted by guitar and bass, atmospheric short solos, and Peter's ''alien'' shrieks, which are hard to explain, but that's what they are? ''alien''. The other 30% congregates the aforementioned ''pure Death Metal'' tracks, and the fantastic closing trio of the album.

This triad simply assembles the final ten minutes into a melancholic eerie atmosphere, absorbing the listener and forever marking the band's sonority. Starting with the instrumental ''Reflections'', reaching the climax with ''Slippin' Away'' and closing the album with the reflexive and calm ''Drained'', displaying for the first time Peter Tägtgren's talent with clean vocals, although heavily modified.

It was nice to observe how Hypocrisy has managed to utilize this sonority defined in 1994. Abducted, being one the earliest steps, may not be the most solid release, as the tracks seem randomly distributed through the album despite being sort of a conceptual release and the sudden end of some songs was a poor and annoying feature of production. But it was a valuable and successful attempt from a band that was starting to carve its name among the greatest of Melodic Death Metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by Uirapuru | 23.06.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 104 users
23.06.2010 - 15:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great review indeed! I've never completely got into Hypocrisy, probably because I downloaded their whole discog and tried to digest it in one go. I prefer them when they opt for fast paced songs rather than mid paced ones.
23.06.2010 - 23:41
Rating: 8
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 23.06.2010 at 15:55

Great review indeed! I've never completely got into Hypocrisy, probably because I downloaded their whole discog and tried to digest it in one go. I prefer them when they opt for fast paced songs rather than mid paced ones.

Thanks again man! o/

I have a similar problem when downloading discographies... can't hold on myself and end up listening right in front of the computer... where distractions are abundant -_-

Best thing is to buy an album, I feel kinda obligated to listening it right and repeatedly (the good aspect of spending money)... Too bad it isnt always possible.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.06.2010 - 16:33
Rating: 8
bodomroy

Completely agree!! i love the closing trio like you said
25.04.2021 - 21:22
Rating: 9
BlankFile

One of their most memorable records, right here. "Roswell 47" is one of their hymns, let´s say.

Excellent record.

Hits total: 5582 | This month: 6